shape
carat
color
clarity

How Much Difference?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FalleN

Rough_Rock
Between these two stones, how much true difference would you see? I understand the basics.....

Starting out, how different is a round ideal cut, from say....A Cut Above H&A stone?

Next, how different would a .75 ct. J SI1 rate against an F, VS1 at .60 ct?!

I know which stone is better on paper....At first glance, is the trade off in size worth the drop in color and clarity?

Experts?

Amateurs?

Thanks!

FalleN

Rough_Rock
Assume that either of these stones could be purchased for the same price as well..I''m searching for the best sight unseen value.....

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
if it were me, and i am new at all this-- i would get an ACA and drop down in color and clarity to get a larger size. that''s just my preference..

Thegroom

Rough_Rock
Clarity first. If the SI1 is eye-clean to your satisfaction (the definition of eye-clean varies from person to person depending on vision, obsessive behavior, etc.) than you will find little difference between the two stones.

Now for size. In my opinion, bigger is better (up to a point).

Color is the tough one in this case. On this site you'll find your share of J lovers, and you'll find your share of colorless lovers. Some J lovers buy J because they prefer the warmness of the stones, and some just accept it to be able to afford a larger size. Some of the colorless lovers can actually tell the difference between a D/E/F and a G, and some just like to see that D/E/F on paper. What you (and your future fiance if possible) need to do is look at a well cut J and compare it to a colorless stone. Until then you won't know whether you are a J lover or a colorless lover. Although many (but not all) J owners/lovers might like a colorless stone if they could afford it in the size they wanted, I think fewer colorless lovers wouldn't mind the color of the J. After you've seen the stones side by side, ask yourself which type of person you are. And even more importantly, which is your future fiance.

Good luck,

Thegroom

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like 2k budget, for either 5.3 or 5.9mm round diamond... or something inbetween.

Between F-VS1 and J-SI1 clarity has a good chance of making no visible difference. Color - perhaps something would be seen from the side if you really insist and care. The size difference would not be huger either. The choice rests more on what makes you feel better rather than looks - it would be the same with the diamonds one next to the other I bet, just because it is unlikely to have such two diamonds side by side ever again. Unless side by side, the differences between these two would fade.. IMO.

Otherwise, there is plenty of room between these: things like G/H-SI1 make an appealing mid point between the two.

The three examples below match the list pretty well:

nearly .6cts F-VS1

.75 cts, J SI1, ACA

and inbetween for at the same 2k .7cts H-SI1
2.gif

Interestingly, this last one is rather deep, but the size sounds ok - not labeled H&A, but it shows a very clear arrow pattern and impresisve IS signature nevetheless:

IS_AGS-5129803.jpg

Hope some of this helps
1.gif

FalleN

Rough_Rock
More input!

I can''t decide between the H&A and the higher color/clarity round!!!!!!!

FalleN

Rough_Rock
From what I''ve been seeing, it appears that an extremely well cut round diamond appears as an H&A, is this true< or are there additional cuts made to an H&A stone that makes it perform better?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you have stones that you are deciding between? if you put the stats up here we could better help you.

FalleN

Rough_Rock
I called on the .75 ct. J stone above, and was told that it was completely eyeclean...

The cert shows what looks to be some major inclusions...So I''m left wondering if it''s a sales pitch or an honest answer.....
If it is not visible then I would love the stone......but considering the price point I''m thinking it might not be worth having them ship it to me for inspection...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results