shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this setting idea tasteful AND practical?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there,

I'm mostly a lurker but want to say how much I've been enjoying this forum. I'm learning a lot!

DH and I are upgrading my engagement ring and wedding band in January of 06. We're planning on a 2.75-ish ct RB set in platinum. As for the actual setting, one of the options I'm considering is a 2mm wide 3-sided micropave eternity, with the stone set in some kind of basket setting. I'd want a squared-off shank to prevent spinning. Now for my questions:

I have two kids: a 2 year old and a 7 month old...will the pave scratch their delicate baby skin?

I hear a lot about the risk of pave stones falling out, but how common is it really?

Lastly, (this is more of a taste question) is a 2mm band too thin for an almost 3ct stone? Will it look too skinny and weird for a stone that large? For reference, my finger is a size 4 1/2.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Kristy

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Kristy...Welcome!

What a fun project you have ahead of you!

You''re going to be wearing your new ring for many many years...long after your little ones are babies. I''d pick a design keeping this in mind.

I think a big rock would be more hazardous than any pave would be. Not that I''m suggesting you get a smaller one
23.gif

Don''t worry...you''ll learn to be careful!
1.gif

Again....welcome!

widget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I too have 2 small children and have considered the same things.

first fo all, i don''t think you need to worry about the pave scratching the baby''s skin. there are however other issues with a 3-sided pave ring. are you planning on wearing is all the time? They are just not made to handle a lot of wear and tear. Some designers and jewelers even recommend not putting them in a ultrasonic cleaner because it can knock stones lose. Just something to think about if you''re wanting to wear it all the time. As for the stones falling out, it does happen, but we don''t hear of it that often, and they are rather easy and inexpensive to replace. Lastly, a 3 carat on a 2mm band would be gorgeous. Here''s a pick of fellow pricescoper looking4carats - 3+ carat stone on thin shared prong band
30.gif

juju.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
From my experience with eternity bands, I suggest either half eternity or just a few side stones, or none at all and just a squared off plain shank.

If you plan to really use your hand and wear it while you are actually USING your hands, you will encounter damage to the stones and ring much faster and will likely end up having to get it repaired faster and more often. Im in the middle of this right now.

My .02.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mrssalvo,
Your ring is BEAUTIFUL!!! I have been thinking of a similar style like yours but am afraid of the delicateness of the ring with such exposed diamonds all around. So. that is a 3 carat center? I am just thinking of something only .95 to 1.25. I think the thinner width makes the diamond look bigger especially in smaller fingers but just afraid of the wear and tear.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
rocksandpurses.

oh I WISH that was my ring
3.gif
it belongs to another pricescope member and it is a 3 carat center. check out this thread for tons of eternity sets will all size center stones.

I actually do have the eternity wedding band and was planning on getting the matching e-ring band but have decided against it because i''m just too hard on my rings and I enjoy wearing them
9.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I''d want a squared-off shank to prevent spinning

Could someone post a picture of what that looks like?

Thanks

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s a pic of a A Jaffe ring from Pearlmans

20II13.jpg

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I think 2mm might be on the thin side for a stone that size, especially b/c you have such a tiny finger! I tend to like a little more substance to my rings, but that''s just a personal opinion.

I too have two little ones (ages 2 & 1/2 and 18 months) and have scratched them with the prongs on my center stone, but not the stones on my eternity band. Fortunately, I didn''t hurt them but I felt terrible about it. My stone is only 1.04ct and I generally don''t wear it around the house b/c my hands get messy a lot between diaper changes, cleaning them up and dishes.

Granted, your kids aren''t going to be babies forever, but a 3 sided pave ring is not the most practical for everyday wear. I have an eternity band that I realize now wasn''t the best choice for me. I''ve gotten Desitin in it (which took forever to come out) and last night got ketchup all over it. I clean my rings at least 2x a day, but then again, I''m kind of anal about trying to keep them clean.
2.gif

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s soooo beautiful but it does look so delicate and I''d be afraid to wear it everyday. And I would want something that I can wear everyday.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I wear mine everyday. I have 3 sided pave. Nothing has fallen out.

I think it''s the style that you select. Mine is set pretty deep. They don''t spin against each other (wedding band and e-ring). It''s been fine. I take mine off for outside work - and cooking - but keep them on for the gym.

My center is a 2ct and 3 mm bands. Tacori setting.

Just My .02

NRYUPCLOSE102v2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame, you should add a disclaimer to your posts about inspecting them twice daily with a 40x loupe so that people will know you aren''t ''typical''!
9.gif

i have had eternity rings for almost 3 years now and i haven''t had one problem with my set. then again i don''t inspect it alot or worry about them, they were made well, the stones are protected and i wear it all the time...even while washing dishes or cleaning the house etc. if you are worried about long-term durability, then get a 4 prong eternity rather than small pave.

i think if you plan to get the 3 sided pave then you should make sure to get as safe a setting as possible for the stones and then know that over time wear and tear will happen to it...but it''s a RING and it''s meant to be worn.

my two cents! get what you love, and just do the due diligence to ensure you will be happy.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of that said, I really like this ring with a 3c. The stone in here is a 3c D VVS I think. I like the 3 rows because it's a substantial look and not delicate.

Oh this is the Michael B 3 Row from Pearlman's Jewelers.

pearlmans 3c 3 row.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally think your center stone might look out of proportion but if that is the look you love than you should go for it! I always wonder about having a three sided pave ring stacked with another, will that damage the ring or diamonds. It seems like it would but I don''t know for sure.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once again, I''m not disappointed! All of your insights and (stunning!) pictures are both thoughtful and helpful. For instance, I had never even considered the potential problem of pave diamonds damaging each other if they''re on both the e-ring and wedding band.

I do love the look of micropave, but since I plan to wear the rings on a daily basis, maybe it''s not such a good idea after all. The other look I like is at the other end of the spectrum: contemporary brushed platinum, knife-edge with tiny 1-pointers (or smaller) channel set inside the "blade" and going all the way around. The stone would be set in a 4-prong basket or Tiffany style setting. The band would match in terms of the knife-edge channel-set diamonds. The bands would probably be around 3 mm. It''s a very different look and feel than the micropave, but my current wedding set is antique-looking (Tacori) and it''d be nice to have something totally opposite for a change. Plus, I have a feeling that this contemporary setting will be more practical and less likely to sustain damage. I wish I had a picture to show you all. (I saw it at a local B&M)

Anyway, please feel free to keep the opinions coming. I''m very open at this point!

Thanks again!
Kristy

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh I like your second idea. Someone has AJaffre rings...RMS I think. Anyway the squared shank spun anyway if I recall correctly. Just a thought.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matatora --

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually thinking that the inner part of the shank that actually touches my finger (palm-side) would also be square-shaped, not just the outside edge. Maybe that would make it spin less? I dunno.

:)
Kristy

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
You may want to ask your jeweler about that. I wonder if that would affect how hard or easy it is to take the ring off or put it on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results