shape
carat
color
clarity

Fight, Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks, guys. It just got too hot for me to handle the discussion of grammar in another forum so I came over here to calm down. Would anyone like to discuss abortion, the death penalty, or prayer in schools? Feel free to start anytime. I'll chime in when I get my strength back.

Thanks in advance.

Your friend,

17.gif

Deb

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Deb, this gave me a good laugh (as in a reality check), which I needed... The gloves are off! Peace, world--it''s just a chat room!
9.gif

However, I have no energy left to debate abortion or prayer in schools.
7.gif
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I say the death penalty for anyone using incorrect grammar!
2.gif
9.gif
11.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jenn, fire&ice...you gals are the best. Thank you for being here in my hour of need. I am feeling nastier by the moment. I may be ready to post on topic by this afternoon!

17.gif

Deb

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Well, Deb, I really can''t take any credit... someone who seems really grounded just taught me something I needed to learn about perspective here... something she said about "realistic expectations" really hit home and has helped me to let it all go.

1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
why does it have to be about abortion, the death penalty or prayer in schools? are those the only topics of controversy that you are versed in?

(just doing a little part to help you gain strength deb)
12.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2005 12:49:46 PM
Author: belle
why does it have to be about abortion, the death penalty or prayer in schools? are those the only topics of controversy that you are versed in?
(just doing a little part to help you gain strength deb)
12.gif

Gee, thanks, belle. You are such a good little helper! If truth be told, I can argue with equal ignorance on many other subjects. I take what I consider justifiable pride in that. :)

17.gif

Deb

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s funny. There are certain hot button topics which are like poking into a hornet''s nests. My Mom is an English teacher. For one of her classes, everyone has to write an paper creating an argument for something. At first, it was completely open ended. My Mom ended up after many experiences having to remove certain topics as options, including creationism and abortion. What happened too often the student would instead rely on the force of their emotion and the belief they were right, rather than reason or a logically structured argument, to make their case, which was not the purpose of the assignment. However the student would have a hard time accepting any kind of criticism of their paper and and instead argue they were being discriminating against because of their views. Every once in awhile when this assigment comes up and a student will say they are being discriminated because they CANNOT pick that subject. My Mom will say, there are a million topics out there you can pick. Pick another one.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2005 1:26:03 PM
Author: part gypsy
There are certain hot button topics which are like poking into a hornet''s nests. My Mom is an English teacher. For one of her classes, everyone has to write an paper creating an argument for something.

My Mom ended up after many experiences having to remove certain topics as options, including creationism and abortion.

My Mom will say, there are a million topics out there you can pick. Pick another one.

That works. Even better is to assign the Battle of Cannae and make everyone write about the same thing. Well...at least that works for ninth grade history ;-).

Deb

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Peronally, I am do not like to argue and debate things. I would rather the world just chill out and give everyone a hug.. after all AGBF.. You know that I am not one of those people to argue things..
28.gif

Take a deep breath, think happy thoughts and relax.. I know I really get in a stir sometimes on these boards too...

Big HUGS!!
36.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
That''s funny. There are certain hot button topics which are like poking into a hornet''s nests. My Mom is an English teacher. For one of her classes, everyone has to write an paper creating an argument for something. At first, it was completely open ended. My Mom ended up after many experiences having to remove certain topics as options, including creationism and abortion. What happened too often the student would instead rely on the force of their emotion and the belief they were right, rather than reason or a logically structured argument, to make their case, which was not the purpose of the assignment. However the student would have a hard time accepting any kind of criticism of their paper and and instead argue they were being discriminating against because of their views. Every once in awhile when this assigment comes up and a student will say they are being discriminated because they CANNOT pick that subject. My Mom will say, there are a million topics out there you can pick. Pick another one.
Your mom sounds like a really, really smart woman.
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2005 12:34:46 PM
Author: fire&ice
2.gif
9.gif
11.gif
Aw crap. Give me the injection...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2005 4:31:59 PM
Author: ame

Date: 9/12/2005 12:34:46 PM
Author: fire&ice
2.gif
9.gif
11.gif
Aw crap. Give me the injection...
i'll take the chinese water torture.
9.gif

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
You are so right! These topics appeal to a person''s theory of mind, that is why they are so "emotional". Rational debates on these topics usually get lost on the ears of people that feel so strongly that their opinion is the right one. It can be done, but all parties involved in the debate need to admit a touche when the other camp makes a well crafted argument. Yeah, like that is gonna happen!

I can argue quite un-ignorantly on these issues, I just choose not to!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2005 2:49:53 PM
Author: stacyQ
Rational debates on these topics usually get lost on the ears of people that feel so strongly that their opinion is the right one. It can be done, but all parties involved in the debate need to admit a touche when the other camp makes a well crafted argument. Yeah, like that is gonna happen!

I agree with what you said about the tendency of people to chuck out reason and argue based on their feelings. That is why I love debates. A debate on points, especially a debate where teams are asigned by an outsider, teaches people (usually students) to use reason and to see all the possible reasons for holding each side of an argument.

Deborah (former teacher and user of debates)

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s discuss John Kerry''s French-ness.

And those purple hearts.
1.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently I was talking to my wise friend Mary, worked up about some issue or another, and she said "yes, all these things are true, but you can only think about these things 2 days out of the week, or else you go crazy."
36.gif

I have a collegue who is to the right of me, and we sometimes tease and poke each other about current events. But I could tell he felt shaken after going on about all the unjust Bush bashing when Bush actually came out and took responsibility for mistakes made! It actually made me feel sorry for the guy, so I didn''t rub it in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results