shape
carat
color
clarity

Plasma TV

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
So, hubby is getting me "back" for my diamond LOL and now wants a 50 inch plasma TV. I don''t think so. I''ll do a 40-42 inch if it fits in the tv armoire and on a stand. Any suggestions?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Is LCD better?

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
No, haven't looked at them as they are out of my budget.

Suggestion is to get an extended warranty as plasma screens are not as reliable as regular TV screens. I think my platinum visa gives me an extra yr of warranty on all electronic purchases. If your's does, buy it with that card - it's a nice benefit.

read this article

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4204259.html

reviews http://zdreviews.search.com/search?q=plasma&nodeid=6482&format=customlayout&channel=57&cat=316&mode=products&allfields=0&k=86354905

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I have no desire to get a plasma tv. I like my regular ol tv just fine. But whatever. This is the one I liked b/c it was cute LOLOLOL...but I'm glad it got a good review. I heard they generate a lot of heat and use a lot of power. Ugh.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Panasonic_TH-50PHD6UY/4505-6482_16-30623565.html

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I'm with you MMM -- I don't care about the latest and gretest TV's, but DH does. I have heard that LCD technology will make plasma obsolete in the near future now that they have figured out the mfg issues. I can't say it's fact, since I don't know anything about it myself, but that's what my "knows everything" friend says.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
MMM, the link you provided didn't work. As far as your question whether LCD is better than plasma it depends on which aspect. These are two electronic boards that I read; they are avsforum & hometheaterforum.

From what I've read on these boards, each device whether LCD,Plasma,Rear projection,Front projection,tube tv has advantages and disadvantages. There's many things to consider before deciding which kind of tv you want such as what type of programing are you primarily going to watch on the tv? Standard def like satellite-or high def or cable or dvds.

What type of room is the tv going in because if there's too much light from windows some tvs look washed out. How far away is the sitting area? What I would do is try to look at each different type of tv and see what you prefer. If he's seen all the other types of tvs and narrowed it down to plasma, Panasonic I've read produce the black color really well, which is necessary to make the picture realistic. Also plasmas have that Jetsons futuristic look too.

I was planning on purchasing a panasonic rear projection myself until I received my dad's hand me down tv. So until the tv no longer functions I don't have to worry about all these new tvs that are being produced.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry MMM. I''m with your husband. I may love diamonds but I love electronic equipment more. And you wouldn''t have to put it on a stand or cabinet, instead, attach it straight to your wall with brackets.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sparkster, how about a diamond encrusted remote? The best of both worlds. Did you see what P.Diddy did with his ipod? Take a look engadget.com

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2004 8:19
6.gif
0 PM
Author: tonysgeko
Sparkster, how about a diamond encrusted remote? The best of both worlds. Did you see what P.Diddy did with his ipod? Take a look engadget.com
OMG! Yes please
30.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
HA! Well, he's 'over' it. He then moved on to an expensive watch. Then that passed. LOL. Poor guy never buys himself anything!

c-c

Rough_Rock
i recently purchased a plasma tv to my boyfriend as christmas gift. go to tigerdirect .com, they have cheap stuff.
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmm think of the diamond upgrade that plasma will buy!!!
31.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
No joke! Well, he''s "over" the tv...he''s too busy hating me over our bathroom renovations LOL... I''m definitely looking forward to my upgrade one day...but then on the other hand, I really love my stone...but I guess a 3 ct will make me forget about it easily! :) Only 2 years to go! Shhheeessshhh.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump:

My DH just HAS to have one: and has been oogling the new 55 in. Hitachi (55HDM71). Was also looking at the Pioneer 65 (or whatever) inch, but it is too big for our allotted space.

What are folks watching out there in Plasma land???? Pro''s/con''s?

cheers--Sharon

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Sharon,

Check here. Everything you ever wanted to know and more.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2005 12:12:02 PM
Author: moremoremore
No joke! Well, he''s ''over'' the tv...he''s too busy hating me over our bathroom renovations LOL... I''m definitely looking forward to my upgrade one day...but then on the other hand, I really love my stone...but I guess a 3 ct will make me forget about it easily! :) Only 2 years to go! Shhheeessshhh.
You have got to change his mind. You need to convince him he should have the TV and then prod him into buying it. (in the short run, you''ll be out a few toys as you''re paying off the TV, but in the long run this purchase can pay off as then since he has the new super overpriced -unnecessary- tv, you get the new diamond upgrade (or whatever).)

FWIW, we have an lcd computer monitor and I love it. Since we killed the TV, we''ve since hooked up the monitor (about five or six times) to the dvd player & watched movies, and the resolution is breathtaking. The only thing that sucks is you have to be sitting at a certain angle to see the screen well. . .probably because when watching a wide screen tv movie on a tiny computer monitor screen you have be to as close as 2 feet to see anything. lol
20.gif
ah, my family is weird. no, tv. . .what were we thinking?
9.gif
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2005 3:46:19 PM
Author: canuk-gal
bump:

My DH just HAS to have one: and has been oogling the new 55 in. Hitachi (55HDM71). Was also looking at the Pioneer 65 (or whatever) inch, but it is too big for our allotted space.

cheers--Sharon
i heard LCD last longer than Plasma,that''s why they''re more expensive.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2005 2:44:24 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 8/4/2005 3:46:19 PM
Author: canuk-gal
bump:

cheers--Sharon
i heard LCD last longer than Plasma,that''s why they''re more expensive.
HI:

We already have two LCD''s, so for sure he''ll get a plasma this time. Can''t recall what the average ife of plasma is--but "new" technology (orbiting pixels or whatever) helps to increase it''s lifespan. My DH (engineer) is a techy freak and compares everything to the nth degree. That website Noobie posted is right up his alley...thanks Noob!!

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my local Costco has a 50" Pioneer Plasma for $5k.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I hear a/the new 55 inch Hitachi Plasma will soon make it''s way to my home........

cheers--Sharon

MsT

Rough_Rock
We have a 46" Samsung DLP and a 42" Panasonic Plasma (new as of this past weekend). The picture is MUCH better on the plasma--matter of fact, it is absolutely amazing--but we have to be careful about watching channels with anything that remains solid black on the screen (like CNN tickers) for long periods of time. We considered an LCD instead of the plasma, but the price was over 1000 higher for the same size set. Of course, DH wouldn''t consider anything smaller
38.gif

I do worry a bit about "burn-in", but these new plasmas are supposedly much better than anything in the past. Also, you really get what you pay for with plasma. If you buy a 50" that has the same price tag as the 37", you are probably setting yourself up for problems with the set in the future.

We did not buy the extended warranty because it is mostly profit for the store and commission for the salesman.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2005 1:31:51 PM
Author: MsT
38.gif

I do worry a bit about ''burn-in'', but these new plasmas are supposedly much better than anything in the past. Also, you really get what you pay for with plasma. If you buy a 50'' that has the same price tag as the 37'', you are probably setting yourself up for problems with the set in the future.

We did not buy the extended warranty because it is mostly profit for the store and commission for the salesman.
HI:

After needing/waiting on some custom cabinetry to mount our new Plamsa (and hide the space where the old 55in. CRT sat) our 55 babe should be here tomorrow. My Dh waxes on about orbiitng pixels thus he tells me I shouldn''t worry about "burn in"---which precludes I''ve thought about if at all....men....LOL In all honesty I am looking forward to seeing that it lives up to its hype....I mean any picture that makes George Clooney look better....

cheers--Sharon

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We have a 42 inch plasma in our bedroom that my husband ordered over the internet. It has an incredible picture and it still doing great after two years. I didn''t realize that they require a separate tuner and a lot of other equipment. I was also surprised by how heavy they are. We ended up buying a cabinet for ours rather than mounting it on the wall. I was concerned about the picture angle and the weight if it were wall mounted. The cabinet also holds all those necessary accessories. I agree with others here though that you WANT your husband to buy plasma TVs or whatever else floats his boat so YOU can have an excuse to buy more jewelry!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results