shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise Please on this Round Stone G/SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I saw a beautiful G/SI1 however it is slightly over our budget. Just for learning purposes though can you experts out there comment on this stone for me. I want to see how much I learned about rounds and if I am right that is a good buy even if slightly over my budget. I thought it was beautiful and curious how it compares to some H&A's I saw on the internet.

Thanks alot for education me!!!!!

1.28 Ct
G/SI1
6.90 X 6.95 X 4.32
Depth 62.4
Table 55
Girdle Medium to slightly thick, faceted
Culet none
Poish excellent
Symettry excellent
crown angle 35.2 (15.7 %)
pavillion 41.0 (43.1 %)
Girdle 2%

Price $7400

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a little deep for me at 62.4% but many people would still consider it. The crown angle is a little steeper as well though and with that pav angle at 41...I'd keep looking. You may lose a bit of the light return with the cut and it looks a tiny bit smaller than it should at 6.93mm average. It could very likely be a good performer, but from the numbers I don't LOVE it. But if you saw it in person and you do love it, the numbers aren't horrible.

Edited to add that the HCA gives it a 2.9 and all VG's rather than EX's...

Good luck!

DoubleB

Rough_Rock
I think you can do better with one of the vendors here on pricescope, like GoodOldGold (where I bought my stone) or WhiteFlash or any of the others. Buying online from these guys is not that scary. If I were you I''d call Jonathan at GOG or Brian at WF and tell them what your budget is, what you saw, and ask them what you can get.

Good luck!

Double b

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara, Thank you very much!!! That info was very helpful. Where can I plug the numbers in for the HCA, how do I get this, is it free? What is the best chart to refer to for round diamonds re: depth, table, angles, etc.

Have a great day! I am going to kep looking.

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Again Mara,

I am a little confused. I just found the HCA tool and used %''s this time for the crown and pavillion angle, instead of the #''s i originally gave you and this time it cam back as 1.5 excellent in all categories.

Crown angle is 35.2 (15.7%)
Pavillion angle is 41.0 (43.1%)
Culet is .07
Girdle is 2%

Can you tell me is am misunderstanding something. This is the first time I am doing this. The vendor gave me the #''s over the phone. I do not have a copy of the sarin report.

Thanks again!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do not use the %''s for the HCA, use the angles, they are more precise. %''s are rounded so you really are just getting an estimate whereas angles are spot on measured and therefore are more accurate.

%''s can be very misleading.

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Oh, OK, Mara, I will do that. Thanks again!!!

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Double B,

Yes i have my eye on something at GOG. I will do that. I was just trying to learn how to rate these things. The diamond itself looked pretty beautiful. I haven''t seen the GOG diamonds in person so to speak yet. I will be taking a drive out there shortly.

Take care and thanks for your help!!!!!
emotion-15.gif

DoubleB

Rough_Rock
You''re welcome! Wish I could have driven out to GOG, but I''m in California! Wait, I think the earth is moving again - nope, false alarm. I would have loved to spend a day just looking at diamonds at GOG. I hear the pizza place next door is tops!

Have fun!

DoubleB

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I definately would suggest vising GOG- I''ve been there a few times.

It''s good that you took a look at other stones from other places. GOG is great in that they have awesome inventory - however .. they have awesome inventory - and there''s nothing like looking at 4 top ranked stones side by side... with no reference to compare to. So for educational purposes - it''s good that you''ve seen other stones..

They do have a stone that they use to compare against - which is great in my opinion to see a normal cut stone vs an H&A.

But if you are in driving range I say - definately visit there - and there are also other vendors in the city that might be worth the trip!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results