shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut and micro pave

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SaraBeth

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been looking at rings and I finally decided that I really like the emerald cut and love a micro pave band. The only problem is, my boyfriend called a jeweler who told him that was a bad combination because the pave will draw the eye away from the emerald cut because it is less sparkly. Can anyone post a picture of an emerald cut with a micro pave band (without a bezel setting)? It''s so hard to imagine it and it seems to be hard combo to find which makes me think maybe the jeweler was right?! Any thoughts? We''re looking at 2+ carats...do you think I''m better off just going with a cushion (that''s the other cut I liked)?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I think someone actually posted a topic similar to this one a few weeks ago...

Everyone has their differing opinions, but I was in Tiffany''s on 5th ave in NYC a few months ago looking at emerald cuts. When I mentioned I like emeralds, and I like pave, the saleswoman basically said the same things that your salesman said to you- "pave and emeralds dont complement eachother. Emeralds have a clean simplicity about them, and the pave detracts from that." She recommended a pave band with other stones such as cushion/rounds.

It is ridiculous to say what you can and cant do. You have to get what you like. However, after I tried on ec''s with pave bands I realized what the woman at Tiffany''s was talking about. I ended up really liking ec''s in plain solitaire settings. To my eye, it just looks better, and really makes you appreciate an emerald cut''s beauty.

Just go and try different styles on...you may be suprised what you end up really liking. I was!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
umm...I guess I disagree. My EC doesn''t have mico pave but it does have melees that give the setting a very sparkly look. I think it is a great contrast. Also I see so many women post their asschers with micro pave halos and bands and I think they look GREAT. Asschers are step cuts as well and some view as a less "sparkly" stone. I know that my EC doesn''t reflect light like a RB but it IS sparkly. People are always surprised by it. I think if that''s the look you love you should go for it.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the jeweler who spoke to your boyfriend...this ring below from Fay Cullen is just HIDEOUS.
20.gif

Have you seen some of the micropave asschers on this site? Asschers are also step cut and have a different brilliance/sparkle than other faceted stone shapes, but does the pave around the asschers detract from the stone? Absolutely not!

I think you have to judge with your own eye...but to discount the style completely...is ill informed and in poor taste. BTW - this ring below, I am COVETING...one of the most GORGEOUS I have ever seen.

fcecring.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i am on vacation and dont have access to my pix but i agree with the jewler HOWEVER.......i wanted some pave or bead set stones so i flanked my EC with traps and then had the band and sides bead set.............when you look down at the ring and look dead on at the EC you do not see any of the bead setting --just an EC flanked by the traps . when you see the ring from the sides or my hand moves around the melee cathes the light and adds a wonderful dimension to the mounting. I am a firm believer in less is more and you can do anything you want with some creativity to be true to the architectural demands of each stone

rainbow

Rough_Rock
Oops picture link didn''t work, hopefully this will.

ws_ring.jpg

tareyton

Rough_Rock
check out michealbjewlery.com he also does some emerald cuts with micropave

madrock

Rough_Rock
I think this Leon work of art looks great!

r319-31W.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ohhhhhh i was just going to post that leon mege, madrock. It is absolutely one of my all time fav ring. stunning
30.gif
I think ECs love pave!
3.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
While I do see what the associate was talking about I think this would be more of an issue with a halo of micropave. (and even then I do think it can work - just look at some of the beauties that have been posted here). I don''t see how micro-pave on the shank could in any way interefere with the integrity/simplicity of the EC. It''s just dressing up the band and would not be very visible in your typical head-on view. Your EC will still remain the star!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/30/2005 12:41:41 PM
Author: sarita
While I do see what the associate was talking about I think this would be more of an issue with a halo of micropave. (and even then I do think it can work - just look at some of the beauties that have been posted here). I don''t see how micro-pave on the shank could in any way interefere with the integrity/simplicity of the EC. It''s just dressing up the band and would not be very visible in your typical head-on view. Your EC will still remain the star!

I agree with sarita....the micropave on the shank and band will only accentuate the EC, not overtake it...it can''t compete with the classic lines of the EC stone.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I also agree that well done micro pave with a well proportioned emerald cut is beautiful. Many of our designers do this look.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have seen this and I have mixed feelings about it. With a larger stone it makes the emerald look fake IMO, but the other one they had (I think 80pts) it looked cute. I think it depends on the size off the stone. Personal opinion but I didnt like the mege posted above...bleh.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Here is one from the WhiteFlash Gallery. I thought this was a nice example of the popular three sided pave look combined with an Emerlad cut.

tmb_big_DSCN2410.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results