shape
carat
color
clarity

miner''s cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

siren

Rough_Rock
Hi guys

My fiance proposed with an heirloom ring. It''s a miners cut round stone in a square setting and it''s beautiful. I have looked at it under a 10x scope and can see that it is chipped on the side. I can also see where the bottom point was chopped off. Other than that it''s gorgeous.

My questions are, where should we get this appraised? At a normal jeweler? Also, how can we correct this chip? Is it possible to recut it and cut the chip out without sacrificing much of the stone? ANd is there any way to turn this into a modern brilliant cut, and, if so, how will it change the stone?

I''d post a picture but I haven''t been able to take a good one. Any suggestions are appreciated.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We certainly have experience with old cut diamonds. It may have a chip or possibly it is a "natural" which looks something like a chip to your eyes, but does not require any fix. If we look at it, we can advise you.

Surely several others here can do the same. If you can visit someone in your region personally that's better than in the mail, but there are several expert appraisers here to assist people who need our help. Some of us can arrange a repair on a diamond that needs a little fixing. Others may prefer not to take on the responsibility. I would not recommend recutting to a modern cut unless it is both economically sound and you fully understood how very different looking the diamond would become. What's the point of recutting a diamond that you really like the looks of? If you prefer a modern cut, then don't buy an old cut. That approach would save time, money and a degree of risk in re-cutting.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

We certainly have experience with old cut diamonds. It may have a chip or possibly it is a "natural" which looks something like a chip to your eyes, but does not require any fix. If we look at it, we can advise you.

Surely several others here can do the same. If you can visit someone in your region personally that''s better than in the mail, but there are several expert appraisers here to assist people who need our help. Some of us can arrange a repair on a diamond that needs a little fixing. Others may prefer not to take on the responsibility. I would not recommend recutting to a modern cut unless it is both economically sound and you fully understood how very different looking the diamond would become. What''s the point of recutting a diamond that you really like the looks of? If you prefer a modern cut, then don''t buy an old cut. That approach would save time, money and a degree of risk in re-cutting

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Dave is the resident expert on old cut diamonds like yours. He REALLY knows what he''s talking about.

If you look through the old posts on the subject of old cuts--search for Old European Cut or OEC or Old Mine Cut or OMC--you''ll see that they have passionate fans. I''m one of them. Those beautiful old stones were hand made long ago and have a charm all their own. They look quite different from modern brilliants, giving off large flashes of light rather than the thin needles of light like modern stones.

When you say the bottom was "chopped off," that''s probably intentional, not damage. The facet at the very bottom, where the other facets meet at a point, is called the culet. Old diamonds were cut with a larger culet than modern ones.

Since this diamond was an heirloom and you find it beautiful, I urge you to think twice before having it recut. You would lose its character and the history that goes with it. It would come out smaller, too.

However, it''s a good idea to have a professional appraiser look at it and tell you whether there''s damage, and if so, what could be done to repair it.

If I lived in a part of the country where it was hard to find a good appraiser, I would send my diamond to Dave for appraisal.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most Antique Diamonds have chips concentrated mainly around the girdle of the stone, sometimes you can find quite a large chip.

If you decide to keep the diamond in the old cut fashion (which I strongly suggest you do), there are some diamond cutters who can retouch the damaged part of the stone, and keep the stone as an antique cut.

Just make sure you get to the right cutter for this kind of a job, I am sure that Dave can aim you towards such a cutter...

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Yeah it is generally not a good idea to get an old diamond recut, the diamond can be damaged during the cutting process and plus part of the charm of an old diamond is that some of the cuts are not done anymore.
So if you wanted to get it recut to get rid of the chip thatmay help but to get it done recut to a round is generally not advised. My mom recieved an old stone for an engagment ring and brought it to a jeweler in NYC and was advised not to because it would be so hard to replace if it was damaged, plus it also diminishs the value of the stone.
I hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results