shape
carat
color
clarity

Website-reviews in the industry press

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
IDEX magazine is one of the leading magazines in the industry (mostly aimed at the diamond centers), and every month, they review a website of a retail operation.

Last month, they reviewed NiceIce and this month, it was the turn of Pearlman''s.

With some help, I managed to find the articles online, and these are the links: NiceIce and Pearlman''s

I suppose that some of you are interested how the industry at large reviews some websites, which we know very well.

Live long,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cough cough fluf sheesh.
Nice sence of humor
I liked the eye candy.

No wonder very few understand internet retailing if thats the kind of reviews they read.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/24/2005 9:53:58 AM
Author: strmrdr

No wonder very few understand internet retailing if thats the kind of reviews they read.
Now this is a great topic and where else to talk about it than with internet consumers. Most I believe are savy here and I''d love to hear the comments of PS ers on internet retailing. What don''t the retailers understand and how are they missing the opportunity to do it better?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 10:05:50 AM
Author: mepearl53

Now this is a great topic and where else to talk about it than with internet consumers. Most I believe are savy here and I''d love to hear the comments of PS ers on internet retailing. What don''t the retailers understand and how are they missing the opportunity to do it better?
great question but work calls.
There is a thread in the hangout forum that discusses what consumers want in a vendor that covers a lot of it.
I think it was wink who started the thread.
Dont have time to hunt it down at the moment.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks paul!

i searched for some of the other ps vendors and found an article about whiteflash as well.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Paul - and Belle for linking the January review.

This quote from the NiceIce review stood out to me: "...I still find this website interesting, mainly for its primary claim of actually owning the diamonds it offers - an obsolescent phenomenon in today's online diamond industry."

I thought it was strange in January that the WF review cited access to "50,000" virtual diamonds (the same access many enjoy) but failed to mention an extensive in-house inventory, which would seem an important point, given the above (frequent) observation about internet diamond dealers.

Many of the PS vendors boast their own inventories - flying in the face of the 'stereotypical' view from the outside. That in itself might be worth a story.

Bill - nice write up, and well-deserved. +10 for using the word 'hybrid' in an interview
2.gif

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/24/2005 11:14:13 AM
Author: JohnQuixote
Thank you Paul - and Belle for linking the January review.

This quote from the NiceIce review stood out to me: ''...I still find this website interesting, mainly for its primary claim of actually owning the diamonds it offers - an obsolescent phenomenon in today''s online diamond industry.''

I thought it was strange in January that the WF review cited access to ''50,000'' virtual diamonds (the same access many enjoy) but failed to mention an extensive in-house inventory, which would seem an important point, given the above (frequent) observation about internet diamond dealers.

Many of the PS vendors boast their own inventories - flying in the face of the ''stereotypical'' view from the outside. That in itself might be worth a story.
He said I have a modest site
23.gif
1000''s of 700 x 700 pixel photo''s modest
33.gif

John, start the new thread

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2005 12:23:51 PM
Author: Feydakin
They give me the impression of someone trying to fill article space without a real understanding of the topic.. I loved the ''20 links in google showing that Pearlman''s understands internet marketing'' line.. I checked myself, I saw thousands of links :)
HI:

I also got that impression Steve; a series of buzz words, grammatical errors and colloquialisms strung together under the guise of a "review". Or perhaps my understanding of review/critque is different than the IDEX editors and in that case, please correct me as I am always happy to be wrong.

cheers--Sharon

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey geeks
31.gif

The story is written for non-geek diamondtaires, many need to an assistant to print their emails to disguise the fact they do not know how to scroll through etc.

It keeps lots of tradies up to date with this microcosm.

Bill unless you told Gil how many rings you had, he probably would not click a 1,000 times
9.gif

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/24/2005 4:32:56 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Bill unless you told Gil how many rings you had, he probably would not click a 1,000 times
9.gif
A 3000 plus page website is modest
26.gif
He must have thought I did this in my spare time. I feel so small. And I did tell him so I guess he edited my words about my modest site.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 10:11:15 AM
Date: 8/24/2005 10:05:50 AM

great question but work calls.

There is a thread in the hangout forum that discusses what consumers want in a vendor that covers a lot of it.

I think it was wink who started the thread.

Dont have time to hunt it down at the moment.

the thread is here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-important-to-you-as-an-internet-shopper.16896/

Some of the vendor specific stuff is outdated as the vendors have updated things but the wants and needs are the same now as then.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 12:23:51 PM
... I loved the '20 links in google showing that Pearlman's understands internet marketing' line.. I checked myself, I saw thousands of links :)
Here is Google backlinks result for http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com: "about 19 linking to http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com."

I wouldn’t stress on Google backlinks number though because often most of them are internal links from the same site.

What method did you use to find thousands of links, Feydakin?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2005 4:56:36 PM

Date: 8/24/2005 4:32:56 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

A 3000 plus page website is modest. He must have thought I did this in my spare time.
Hm... how many pages do you think each browser (i.e. person not software) would willingly go thought at a time ? Not me, that is
38.gif

What is too much of a website, guys ?

IMO, either WF or Niceice are effective and fun, I''d bet the cost and amount of work put in there are wastly different though.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...
23.gif
Yahoo shows even more: 24,000. Most of them, however, are internal links (from the same domain). MSN reports 500+ but shows only 7 pages by 10 results... Most of them are not high ranked sites, duplicates, etc. like e.g. this one www.dkaccessories.com/finejewelry/ - pure spam

Google probably discard them, which is a good thing. but we went OT...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 9:09:22 AM

Most of the industry articles that are published are watered down fluff for the most part..
Same thing as you know in the computer industry, drives me nuts when im looking for useful information and all I can find is fluf.

Google used to be a lot better about it but since they went mainstream they are no longer a techies dream site.
For example I searched for the jumper settings for an older motherboard.
The first 20 hits were outdated sale offers for the board.
The answer i needed was about 30 down, in the old days it would have been the first hit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results