shape
carat
color
clarity

Does an H need flouresence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
Does an H-color stone need flouresence to not have a yellowish cast? I''m looking at about 1.75-2 carats in a princess cut set in platinum. Thanks!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Not likely unless you are really really observant and obsessive.

The only way you''ll see any tint in an H is to compare it to an unmounted colorless stone side by side.

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
I respectfully disagree.
I dislike it when people say you can see color if you're not an "expert."
I can see the color in an ideal H, top down. (Some can, some can't.)
It looks warm to me.
I'm one of those color sensitive folks.
I think I'd prefer an H with Flor.
It's all a personal preference.

MarLO

Marc

Rough_Rock
I respectfully disagree with YOU.

I would be willing to bet you the cost of her 2 carat princess cut H that if I gave you 6 of the best cut princess stones (all D or H - no other color) set in platinum with no fluorescence, you couldn''t tell me which (if any) were D and which (if any) were H. You obviously coudn''t have them all at the same time to compare them - her question was whether you could tell her princess was H.

I''ve been in the business for almost 20 years, and I''ve done this test dozens of times with customers coming in wanting D stones and claiming to be able to tell the difference. I''m more than happy to sell a D, but put a fantastic cut in a setting, and there is absolutely no way you could tell the difference between a D and an H by itself on her finger. An ideal (or excellent) H will face up D when set. There aren''t many gemologists who would take this bet without anything to compare it to. That''s why color is graded from the bottom!

coconut

Shiny_Rock
Hey Marc,

What about when you look at the stones from the side view?
Do you think some people may be able to tell the difference between a D and an H from the side view? (Even if they are ideal/excellent cut?)

And also...... would having some fleurescent make the yellowish tint go away? (when viewed from any angle?)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 7:49:18 PM
Author: Marc
I respectfully disagree with YOU.

I would be willing to bet you the cost of her 2 carat princess cut H that if I gave you 6 of the best cut princess stones (all D or H - no other color) set in platinum with no fluorescence, you couldn't tell me which (if any) were D and which (if any) were H. You obviously coudn't have them all at the same time to compare them - her question was whether you could tell her princess was H.

I've been in the business for almost 20 years, and I've done this test dozens of times with customers coming in wanting D stones and claiming to be able to tell the difference. I'm more than happy to sell a D, but put a fantastic cut in a setting, and there is absolutely no way you could tell the difference between a D and an H by itself on her finger. An ideal (or excellent) H will face up D when set. There aren't many gemologists who would take this bet without anything to compare it to. That's why color is graded from the bottom!

Hi Marc. Welcome to PriceScope.

Are you talking about viewing the diamond while on somebody's finger? If so, I can understand your viewpoint, although I think there are several PriceScopers who would win that bet.

If you're talking about holding the diamond under good lighting and taking a close look at it, I would disagree with you. I could easily spot the difference between an H and a D (even without another stone for comparison), as well as many of the PriceScopers, particularly the women.

That said, a nicely cut H on the finger is going to look nice and white to most casual observers. If it has some fluorescence, so much the better.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I was really worried about color when we bought my stone. I have an H with medium blue flour. It's an RB Expert selection, and I can't see any color from any angle, and no hint of warmth. From the side, bottom, in all different lights, etc. It's a loose stone. I don't know if it's the flour that does that, but I have noticed warmth in other diamonds (however I have no clue what color they were)

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Hi -

I have a 2ct H round brillant without flour. I recently switched from an 1.5ct F round brillant.

Immediately I could see a difference - as I knew what I was looking for. However, after wearing the H for a while - it doesn''t bother me in the least any longer. At first - after wearing the F for so long - the H was definately noticable to me - from the side and even from the top a little while mounted on my finger. Let me qualify that because I was "Looking" for the color.. and trying to evaluate if I could tell the differnce as I was worried about going to an H.

But after a week or so I am perfectly happy. It doesn''t look warm to me. It looks bright white. - and everyone who looks at it says the same.

So - I know that you can tell a difference (...uh.. that''s why there are grades..) but what can you live with? And I have found that an H is fine and dandy.

Good Luck!
1.gif

PeteyPauls

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a 2.19 H without flourescence. I could very slightly see a difference on the loose diamond between it and the F that I saw. The appraiser also thought it was a G at first. Maybe I just got a good stone. I was spending a lot and the color and clarity were where I was able to lower the price, since i wanted a Hearts and Arrows (thanks to Pricescope!!!) I think the added brilliance and sparkle would help not the color, but the overall look of the diamond as well.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went over to my jeweler''s last week. She showed me a new stone she had mounted into a platinum ring. I noticed some color to it, nothing glaring mind you, but I noticed it (after noticing how big it was!!). I held it up next to my D. Well....then the color difference was glaringly obvious to me. I asked her what color the stone was, and it was an H. I asked if the H stone had fluorescence. None.

My point is, it does depend how color sensitive you are. The H color would not have bothered me as much if I hadn''t seen it next to my D. The H didn''t need fluoresence...but I don''t think it would''ve hurt at all.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2005 2:51:15 PM
Author: FireGoddess
My point is, it does depend how color sensitive you are. The H color would not have bothered me as much if I hadn''t seen it next to my D. The H didn''t need fluoresence...but I don''t think it would''ve hurt at all.

I was going to say the same thing. The question is not does the H need fluorescence, the question should be do YOU need fluorescence in an H. Some people are only happy with a D or E, while others like J, K, and L. Color is a personal preference for the most part, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results