shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell if it is a real Mikimoto???????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondman

Rough_Rock
A friend aquired a pearl choker from an estate in a box with Mikimoto papers inside and a receit of sale. It was purchased in Hong kong in 1968. They are 6mm pearls about 16" long with a sterling pearl clasp. The pearls are not knotted in between each, just strung. There is no "M" stamp or any other mark indicating that it is a Mikimoto besides the papers that came with it. It is in a Mikimoto original box. Should the choker be stamped with the "M" the most of the companys necklaces have? Is there any quick way to tell? (aside from an appraisal) Thank you for any help on this matter...
p.s. the friend paid about $600 for the piece.
40.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as I know and I sold Mikimoto pearl necklaces, they came with their signature clasp in 18K yellow gold. I could be wrong as they pre date my experience with the company, but find it hard to believe they had stands with a silver clasp????

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I wonder if you (or your friend) could contact a Mikimoto dealer to inquire.

I agree with Kaleigh...seems unusual that the clasp isn''t marked Mikimoto, that it''s silver....and that it''s not knotted.

Hmmm...

widget

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am no expert, but Mikimoto is a brand of pearls, they get first pick and have the most gorgeous pearls. I cannot believe it is Mikimoto with a non gold clasp and not double knotted between each pearl. But, for the price, if they are lustrous and gorgeous, and your friend is happy, I say enjoy them and try not to worry...

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2005 9:28:21 PM
Author:diamondman
A friend aquired a pearl choker from an estate in a box with Mikimoto papers inside and a receit of sale. It was purchased in Hong kong in 1968. They are 6mm pearls about 16'' long with a sterling pearl clasp. The pearls are not knotted in between each, just strung. There is no ''M'' stamp or any other mark indicating that it is a Mikimoto besides the papers that came with it. It is in a Mikimoto original box. Should the choker be stamped with the ''M'' the most of the companys necklaces have? Is there any quick way to tell? (aside from an appraisal) Thank you for any help on this matter...
p.s. the friend paid about $600 for the piece.
40.gif
Hi diamondman-
First, yes, the clasp should be stamped on the back with an "M" housed inside of a clamshell. Second, no authentic Mikimoto necklace from any era will just be strung with no knots in between. Actually, real pearl necklaces of any variety are strung with knots in between each pearl to keep them from rubbing against one another and wearing away at the nacre, and so that if the strand breaks, all the pearls won''t come tumbling down. Look at the pearls themselves. Are they chalk white? Look at the pearls by the drill holes, is the nacre chipped in any way? Mikimoto pearls are a creamy white with a very high lustre and a pink overtone. There was a time that Mikimoto had sterling clasps, and in the 1968 era, there were sterling clasps but the clasps always had the signature logo. Some had the little pearl on them, some did not. Usually the original box from this time period has "Ginza Tokyo" or something like that embossed in gold with other Japanese symbols (lettering) on it.
Even if the necklace shows signs of wear, the knots will still be there, just smaller and a bit dirtier. I would take it to an authorized Mikimoto dealer (Bailey,Banks and Biddle is one) to have it double checked.
Luv

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results