shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
Hi Guys,
I am wanting to get a blue sapphire. I want a blue one not a DARK blue one. I want it to be like the bluest oceans in Hawaii that you see on postcards. Is there a name for a strong blue but not dark blue sapphire. I want lots of color! As you can tell I know nothing about sapphires. Does anyone know a good web site that can inform me?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphires, otherwise known as corundums, come in every color, except red... because a red-colored corundum is called a ruby!
There are lots of websites that sell lighter shades... browse around/search on the past threads on this forum and you should be able to find a lot of information on sapphires and about experiences with different vendors. Have fun!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want the very best the two I know of are: www.cherrypicked.com and www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com . Widget knows an awful lot about sapphires, hopefully she can give you some other sites as well. Good luck, I too adore sapphires, especially the cornflower blue ones!!!
1.gif

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
From the description of the color I imagine what you''re looking for is something like Paraiba Tourmaline, which unfortunately is absurdly expensive. maybe Nigerian "paraiba" tourmaline?

Aquamarine and Blue Topaz are probably a bit too light for your tastes, and most sapphires will be too dark. Even the brightest and lightest sapphires seem like they''d be too sky blue for your tastes.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2005 6:41:54 PM
Author:karenleah15

I want it to be like the bluest oceans in Hawaii that you see on postcards.
That would mean something like this to me:

10509.jpg

While the highest expectation of lively sapphire color would be this:

1562sm.jpg

Of course, blue-but-not-dark sapphire can mean this too - a light tone:

B105_1_th
B105_2_th

Which works for you ?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the first one works for me! am i ever going to find the money tree that''s going to allow me to own everything i want?!

peace, movie zombie

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
Oh that first stone is PERFECT! I love it. Blue topaz is a little light for me.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Valeria101

Seems such a long time my last post, and I can see there''s many new people in this group now, plus some familiar wonderful characters still contributing their knowledge, experience and expertise.

The 4 examples of yours are amazing, as they are the kinds of images I find it hard to accept as Sapphires! The first one - the Hawai''i ocean blue - looks like a Topaz or Tourmaline color; the second one looks like a Lapis Lazuli; the last two look like off-color Tanzanites!

Any Kashmir blue example (and I don''t mean one of those that actually comes from Ceylon or Africa!)? Is there a particular definition of what characteristics Kashmir blue should have, or not have?

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Have never seen a sapphire in the color you like. As said elesewhere perhaps the "Carribean Blue" of the Paraiba and Nigerian Cuprite tourmaline or aquamarine are your best alternatives. Blue topaz certainly can have the color but after the Linear accellerator and the heat treatment it is more of a processed product than a gemstone.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Ana, let me guess - the first one is a paraiba tourmaline, second a true Kashmir sapphire (hard to say which one is more expensive among the two! - out of my range anyway) The third is a light shade sapphire offerred at the naturalsapphirecompany?
26.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Cave Keeper
Any Kashmir blue example (and I don''t mean one of those that actually comes from Ceylon or Africa!)? Is there a particular definition of what characteristics Kashmir blue should have, or not have?
I''ve heard that Kasmirs have some sort of interior silk that give them sort of a velvety appearance and because of this, they have little extinction and sort of "glow" in almost all lighting.

I made a point of seeking out one at an antique jewelry show out of curiosity. I found one, and although it was beautiful, I couldn''t see what all the hoopla was about.

Here are two untreated Kasmirs: The stone on the left is from CherryPicked...about five carats....yours for the asking at a mere $138,000!!!
23.gif
9.gif

widget

fjiut.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
What about this one? blue sapphire The seller claimed to be kashmir color, but I feel there is too much purple in it.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ana,

Let me guess the first picture is a blue Zircon.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the $138,000 example of a Kashmir Blue Sapphire from Cherrypicked.com
36.gif
. In case you missed it, they also have a much cheaper 1.23 ct. asking for just over $10,000
19.gif
31.gif
. Now I know what Kashmir Blue should look like.

I seem to recall that the special characteristic of Kashmir Blue Sapphires is that they lack the undesirable violetish tinge, especially under fluurescent lighting, perhaps because of the silky interior you mentioned.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Kashmirblue!

Was I right when I said that Kasmir stones traditionally "glow" more than sapphires from other regions because of their slik? And also....I had always heard that the Kashmir mines had dried up years ago. How much is coming out now?

Thanks,
widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2005 2:54:49 PM
Author: MJO
Ana,

Let me guess the first picture is a blue Zircon.
I lost track of this thread... yes sure so.

The other two are sapphires.

And, well, all things aside the greenish blue shade is also my darling. Although there is no doubt which of the three blue bits there is the more impressive.

Turning to the topic of greenigh-blue sapphire:

Picking from another post - well, no, I can't say I ever founda sapphire looking like that but some with a slight greenish he over blue (jnstead of violet tinge) are out there and the greenish complexion is not all that highly priced. Some sellers make excuses for it.... for not aparent reason. There is one such 'greenish-blue' sapphire among the concave cuts listed by Richard Homer on concavegems.com.

At least one more of darker green-blue reside among the 'unique' colors at Walter Arnstein (thenaturalsapphirecompany.com)and I would ask any seller of Australian sapphire and Montana sapphire (if you do not insist on a large piece) for options. Both sources produce some sort of greenish blue (dark and bicolors from Australia, light ones from Montana, as much as I know). Blue spinel may also do the trick - although that's yet another kind of blue - more steel like. One at the same concavegems.com site makes the case - for example.
34.gif

Hope some of this helps.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Ana,

I just got back from Cozumel. My wife wouldn''t let me go into any of the jewelry stores their
emsad.gif
. They did have alot of large tanzanite in the windows and a place called natural alexandrite. Couldn''t get the prices their though. Anyway, I do like the color of blue zircon.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results