shape
carat
color
clarity

fred cuellar says... but is it true?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

confusedtoo

Rough_Rock
in the book he gives a table with classes and appreciation %s. like - you can buy an f/vs2 and it will appreciate 8.5% or something but if you buy an f/si1, it is way less valuable.

is an f/si1 a bad combo?

thanks.

weemodin

Shiny_Rock
Do a search for Fred Cuellar on the boards to find out what people think about him and his advice.

I personally don''t know if that is true or not, but I do know that there are some peole who have expressed interesting comments about Fred and his book in the past.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it isn''t a bad combination at all. I would want it to be eye clean though and the cut has to be there as well. Who is Fred Cueller????
34.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
f/si1 is a great combo! i really like g/si2 ideal cut for the great value.

bottom line is, if you work with a vendor that has a 100% lifetime trade up policy, it really doesn''t matter
2.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/27/2005 6:52:49 PM
Author: kaleigh
No it isn''t a bad combination at all. I would want it to be eye clean though and the cut has to be there as well. Who is Fred Cueller????
34.gif

Fred Cuellar is a diamond cutter in Texas who likes to tell people things that he makes up so that they feel uncomfortable buying a diamond from anyone else in the world other than him. His how to select a jeweler chapter has a quiz that automatically disqualifies over 95% of the jewelers in the world.

He has had a felony conviction in relation to a diamond investment scam that he was running and is not at all well thought of in the trade by most jewelers that I know.

Wink

P.S. I would holler BS on his comment. No one knows how much your diamond will appreciate this year or next. For him to tell you it will go up x% but only x-y% if you buy a different color and clarity combination is simply not borne out by historical evidence.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Wink. I had no idea.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, Wink. Your expertise is always so welcome and appreciated!
36.gif

Also, Confusedtoo, it''s a (sad but true!) fact that diamonds are pretty much a lousy "investment"! They are a luxury item, to be worn with joy -- but NOT purchased with the thoughts of "appreciation" and re-sale. If you want that, I''d recommend real estate!
1.gif

Lynn

confusedtoo

Rough_Rock
yes, i''ve heard they are not a good investment and i''m not buying as an investment - i''m buying to wear - forever, i hope! i went to one jeweler who said ''this is something you do once... or twice in your life.''

twice?!

i guess i applaud his realism but what a bummer thing to say to someone looking for an engagement ring!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Even though Fred infers he is a gemologist, anyone interested should check with GIA. The last time I checked he too the diamond course only.

His books? I have both of them... What a waste!

If you meet him in person, ask him to take off his shoes. I've got a strong suspicion that you'll find his feet are webbed!

Rockdoc

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think an F/SI1 is a great combo! Of course that is what I have as the center stone in my new ring. It is in the colorless diamond category and if it is eye clean and well cut the SI1 can save you some money over a VS stone and look just as good.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Sadly even though the man is a fraud IMO he is a consultant for the Knot and I know alot of younger people trust him. I had heard of him afew times before finding PS. When I came here people were able to point me to the truth about him...I am sorry I read his book.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Fred sucks LMAO. What a dope. I believe he said don't waste your time with a princess that's other than a 65/65 LOLOLOL...Yeah, try finding that in the first place and then take a look at the AGS princess stones which rock. Again, Fred sucks. The info he gives on his site is just obsurd.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sadly not only is he a consultant for the Knot or whatever but he also is interviewed sometimes for mags like US Weekly etc re: celebrity baubles and rings. I always cringe when I see something like ''diamond expert Fred Cuellar'' and then some ridiculous line about how this stone shape means someone is shallow or secretly romantic. UGH!

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I tried following Fred''s advice for my diamond purchase and found no such stone existed within those parameters. After I learned about his reputation I abandoned his ridiculous standards for fancy cuts and was able to find a Mind clean stone I love. His misinformation really wastted my valuable time.
29.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I always have to jump in when the name Fred comes up.

I concur with everything that Wink said.

Those of you that visit The Knot should bring that up so the people will know who they are dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results