shape
carat
color
clarity

What happens if she says no?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ihopeshesaysyes

Rough_Rock
So I am the typical clueless guy when it comes to diamonds but I want to do the right thing and buy the perfect ring. So here is the question... Lets say I buy a ring but she says no? Do jewelers take returns on engagement rings? At that point that probably be the least of my worries but I am curious to know.
Thanks.

33.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 2:48:20 AM
Author:Ihopeshesaysyes
So I am the typical clueless guy when it comes to diamonds but I want to do the right thing and buy the perfect ring. So here is the question... Lets say I buy a ring but she says no? Do jewelers take returns on engagement rings? At that point that probably be the least of my worries but I am curious to know.
Thanks.

33.gif
Depending on your time frame, most (if not all) vendors on PS offer a comfortable examination and 100% return period: Enough time to pay, pray and pop - and return it if things don't go as hoped.
5.gif

If she were to have second thoughts a couple of months down the road some vendors offer extended buy-back options for a percentage of purchase price.

If you're buying away from PS check for availability of these purchase benefits.

- Here's hoping that she feels the same way you do.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ihopeshesaysyes too! best of luck to you!

coconut

Shiny_Rock
I sure hope she says YES!

If you are REALLY worried, there are jewelers out there that will do lifetime tradeins/upgrades (you pay the difference in amount of your new purchase) with rings purchased from them. Maybe that can be an option for you.... Good luck!

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Before you buy the ring, maybe you could hint around it to her. Has she said anything about a ring? Are you talking about getting married? There should be some good signals you are getting, postiive or negative. Perhaps this helps before you make a big purchase.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
How long have the two of you been dating? Have you meet her family? Does she expect you to ask her father(or other parent) first before going on bended knee? Her family would be able to tell you if she is ready and they could proably give you some hints about what she likes too. Do you know he BFF phone number? A breif call could also tell you alot of info. Though if you have concerns perhaps she isnt ready. I would be sure to find that out first and then move on the ring and the proposal. JMO

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear I hope,

I think most of your basis of question, is probably relationship questions, more than try it, and buy it to test the waters of how she feels.

If you''re in doubt, DON''T, or at least let some more time go by until you''re sure that you know her mind is in the same place as yours is.

Some of what the other posters have expressed should be considered more than the option of returning a ring, if it doesn''t work.

Part of your consideration needs to be asked of you, how serious a financial expense this will be, and if she does say no ( particularly in the future) how are you going to feel finanacially from making this purchase.

I can tell you that once a ring is worn, a lot of jewelers won''t accept a return, but it is best to negotiate this by truthfully discussing with the seller, about their refund or return policies in advance. Then of course you can then intelligently decide if there is any risk, or risk that you''re willing to accept, should things not go as you hope they will.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re screwed?
11.gif

really, you should be sure before you plunk down the $$. or be sure to use a vendor with a good return policy or a return program.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I dunno, I''m sympathetic to your concern; not sure how many of us there out there with these sorts of concerns, but asking a woman to spend the rest of their life with you is no small thing. That, plus maybe you''re waiting for the right moment, and it may just not come within a 10 day period. For this reason alone, unfortunately, for some, I think choosing a vendor based on a longer period of 30 or even 90 days isn''t all that wacky. Unfortunately, some of the better vendors here do have that 10 day thing going, and it may be functional for the way they prefer to work with inventory, I don''t know; also, they may not want you to have their option as a bird in the hand while you continue to shop endlessly for a more perfect option.

These days, also, it seems like with a majority of people being women on this site, somehow they get into the mix and get to be shopping with their partner, and in this case, the question of the number of days for being ready to ask the question becomes moot.

Sorry I have no perfect solution. If you do have jitters, and select an option from a vendor here with a return policy that makes you antsy, you might try to mitigate your concerns, seeking out a local jeweler, and asking them if they will take it on consignment if it is returned to you. I did that. Lucky me, this option was not needed in the end.

There is a phrase...popping the question...how much pop is there.

Regards,

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
If you are not sure that she will say yes maybe you could discuss how she feels first? Some people don''t like to be surprised-I have a friend who wasn''t expecting a proposal at all so she felt sort of pressured. Or maybe propose with a CZ to be replaced with a diamond that she can help choose?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most people in this situation already know what the answer will be. They have talked about the future and have solidified their plans of being married some day. I would have a talk with your girl before you plunk down a lot of money on a ring. You want to know that you're on the same page. If this isn't in your comfort zone, then at least make sure the jeweler will give your money back within a reasonable amount of time, if it doesn't go your way. Good luck and I hope she says YES!!!!!
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well one time that happened around here his dog got a $75000 ring to wear.
Then she came on here begging him to take her back and he said no way!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 8:51:12 PM
Author: strmrdr
where''s the decimal at in that figure?
6.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
no way did he spend 75k on that ring strm!!

i thought it was more like 30-40k. a 3c princess is not priced like a round.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
He didn''t take her back?!
23.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 9:49:39 PM
Author: Patty

He didn't take her back?!
23.gif
If it's who Im thinking it is I hope he NEVER takes her back.

(eta: not the same person I was thinking of)

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear I Hope...

Let me tell you my approach.

We discussed the concept of marriage, and I told her I was starting to look at diamonds - and wondered what kind of ring she would like (and kinda steered her into looking at rings with sidestones).

Well, she likes a 3 stone ring (or perhaps more precisely, a ring with "accent stones").

So I searched untill I found some really well cut 1/4 carat side stones (with a few other features I wanted - truely phenominall side stones).

She liked them.

Then we talked some more, and some more, and I indicated that I would by the center stone when she was ready...

Then she was going to show me the kind of setting she liked.

Well, at this point that is looking like a really good decission as she cancled out on the vacation trip where we were going to look at rings and great looking diamonds. But, perhaps she will come along.

Lots of things can be done with the 1/4 carat sidestones, and they did not cost that much if she never says "Yes."

Now you may be saying that it takes the surprise out of it. Yep. But I am currently about $5500 ahead based on the center stone and setting I was looking at. Also, I''d rather learn what I just learned before I spent that money. We will either work through this and pull out stronger - or it was never ment to be.

If you are not positive, I''d ask what kind of setting she would like. That aught to help sort things out.

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 9:42:06 PM
Author: Mara
no way did he spend 75k on that ring strm!!

i thought it was more like 30-40k. a 3c princess is not priced like a round.
hmmm checking.
Yea 75k is high, i was going by memery.

Here is the appraisal on the diamond:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chronicle-of-appraisal.13997/

Looks like it was around $34000 for the center diamond.

The ring is a M. Morrell with WF aca stones.
2x .260 F vs2 ACA stones
pair of E/VS 16 points and a pair of E/VS 10 point aca melee.

So id put it well into the $40000 range.

happy now?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ROTF- Pay, pray and pop! That''s a new classic!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 9:49:39 PM
Author: Patty

He didn''t take her back?!
23.gif

as far as we know he never did.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

EZ

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 8:27:27 PM
Author: SquareCut
If you are not sure that she will say yes maybe you could discuss how she feels first? Some people don''t like to be surprised-I have a friend who wasn''t expecting a proposal at all so she felt sort of pressured. Or maybe propose with a CZ to be replaced with a diamond that she can help choose?
That''s is pretty much what I did. She really liked the ring and seems to be enjoying picking out the setting. In hindsight the only thing I did wrong was to get too big of a CZ. I know it sounds cheesy but if I were doing it again I''d have got a CZ that was half the size of the real stone I was thinking of getting. Once she gets used to the promise ring the real diamond would be a big surprise.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2005 10:47:35 PM
Author: moremoremore
ROTF- Pay, pray and pop! That''s a new classic!
HI:

Oh for goodness sakes, I''ve been married 20 years and this happens all the time...but it doesn''t help the original question at hand.......
41.gif

cheres--Sharon

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
WOW...what a story!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results