shape
carat
color
clarity

Please post your thoughts on this ACA...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend has this ACA on hold: http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1383925.htm#

Here are the specs:

Price: $7,680.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.278
Color: E
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 60.3
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion %: 42.7
Girdle: Thin to Medium-Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Measurements: 7.05-7.08X4.26

My boyfriend talked to Brian at Whiteflash yesterday. The main clarity grader is a feather that runs perpendicular into the table (it doesn't show on the scan of the cert). He says there aren't any durability issues with the diamond. He also said that it is eye-clean and that he would've graded it an SI1 instead of an SI2. I have blown up the picture of the stone, and I still can't see the main inclusion. What do you guys think? Is this a keeper? Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
a keeper for sure
36.gif

love the ''e'' with med. blue fluor!
18.gif

well done!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a very nice stone. I have an E with med blue fluor, and I love it!!!! Congratulations, it's a keeper!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I third that it sounds like a fabulous find. If it''s eye-clean, and I trust Brian''s eyes...having bought an SI2 from him myself, it has great angles and table/depth combo and I also like the med blue fluor with the E...it should be sizzling.

Good eye! Congrats and show us final pictures!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Sounds good. That''s a great price for a diamond of that size in E color. As long as it''s eye-clean the SI rating is a great value.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Looks great to me, did you purchase it yet?
1.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
There is a discrepancy between the nos. on the cert and on the sarin.....which one did they say was "correct"? (pavillion angle)?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It says sold so I guess he purchased it?

Maxine, re: the discrepancy on the pav angle from Sarin vs AGS....that is actually not uncommon. Each machine is calibrated by a human and so there have been discussions in the past on how machines are different, people are different, so one is not necessarily right vs the other, unless you want to get a few more opinions and then take that average. 40.6 vs 40.8 will not make a huge difference in my opinion, both are still great angles for that stone, it''s not as though it is 40.9 and 41.3 or something where the pav angle suddenly crosses over into the possibility of not-so-great territory.

But it''s not unusual to see some small discrepancies in Sarin vs AGS or two Sarins, etc. I would only blink twice if they were huge jumps...but this pav angle wouldn''t bother me.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
but if you read the results page... it just says under 2 is good... beyond that... its personal preferance... with a 0.6 is not a better score than 1.6 or 1 or anything else <2...

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
First off, I want to say a big thanks to everyone who replied to my post! Now for an (somewhat overdue) update. The kind people at Whiteflash allowed my boyfriend to keep the stone on hold for about a week while he attempted to make a decision. It''s no longer on hold (understandably), but it''s still being considered. The main sticking point was, and still is, the feather that is the grader. My boyfriend was concerned that the diamond had a "huge crack." He decided to talk to Brian a second time to find out how large the feather actually was. Although he didn''t have the stone in front of him at that time, he said that from memory, it was about 1 mm long and thinner than a hair in diameter. Is my boyfriend''s concern (and to a lesser extent, mine) about the feather unfounded? Remember, Brian said in his first conversation with my boyfriend that the diamond is eye-clean. He also said that the feather runs from the girdle perpendicular into the table (which to me seemed confusing- it seems like it would have to be parallel- but I am a novice. Maybe someone can help explain that to me.), and doesn''t break the surface/cause any durability issues. Thanks again!

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Does anybody have any advice to offer us? Would you purchase a diamond with a feather like this one? Are we being overly concerned about it? Should we keep searching? We would really appreciate any guidance you could offer.

I really love everything about this stone...we just want to be sure that the feather is nothing to worry about. Thanks so much.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would trust Brian''s judgment. However, you and your bf have to be comfortable with this stone. Why don''t you have it shipped to an appraiser? Then you can take a look at it yourself and you can also get an independent opinion on the stone''s inclusion.

Also, the girdle is parallel to the table. So it makes sense that the feather is running perpendicular in between the two.

I think it looks like a really great stone. But again, I am not the one buying it. The most important thing is that you and your bf love it! If the clarity is a big issue, perhaps you should find a stone with lesser inclusions.

Good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2005 12:59:50 AM
Author: Kerbear560
Does anybody have any advice to offer us?
Get to see it ! there is a return policy meant just for that. E-SI2 would make a nice find if you decide this one is a keeper. It is hard to weigh all those technicals based just on words and imagination.
38.gif

Besides... this portrait shows no flaw at all, aside the end of the feather next/on the girdle at 3:5. The stone could be set to hide even that next to a prong. This one does so many things well, that it certainly deserves to excused one small digression from perfection.

DI40X_AGS-5950109.jpg

Just as a general comment... SI clarity means allot of different things, some better, some worse than would expect. How about this F-SI1 ? There is little doubt of what makes the grade there.

[edited to add after meeting in town...]
The feather shows both on the cert and on the picture: the tip of it shows as a red dot on the AGS cert and as a white wisp on the picture above. From the side it should be more visible, I would expect. If it goes into the depth of the stone as opposed to brushing the surface of the facets uner the girdle all for the better, IMO. If anyone can say if this 'feature' poses higher risk of breakage than otherwise expected from a diamond, a cutter could and Brian is one. You could have your own appraisal done for a second opinion for safety and if you have WF set the stone, than any risk of damage during setting is on them as well.

IMO, the feather could be aranged to sit right next to a prong in whatever position is most protected into the setting of your choice, and this would end the story favorably. If the ring will be insured, all for the better, of course. In general diamonds flawlessness does not make diamonds indestructible while whatever inclusions or imperfections cut stones posess have already survived very harsh treatment - the cuting process itself. This is quite some durability test, as much as I can tell.

Just my 0.2 worth, as usual.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I'm so tempted to tell you that this is a terrible, ugly, stone and you will hate it, but that's only b/c I'm jealous. Go for it...its one of my favorites on my "wish list"...

Also I completely trust Brian's recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results