shape
carat
color
clarity

14 KGF Filigree Pendant signed dec?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitts

Rough_Rock
Yet another signed piece that needs an idenity. It is a 14kgf filigree pendant with a rose carved ivory, or perhaps plastic-not sure. One back it is marked "14KGF dec" the dec is in all lowercase. It is marked in 2 places directly on the back of the piece and on the hook. thanks for any and all responses.

Best Regards-
Melissa
35.gif

loupe

Rough_Rock
Melissa,

The 14GF stands for 14K gold fill. The dec is the mark for Donald Brue & Co. of Chicago, IL. Maybe.

BTW, the silver work in the sombrero necklace is not unique to Mexico. I own hand made pieces from The Yemen and from India using the same gauge silver wire and the same technique but in more intricate ways and they were not terribly expensive. Think about it. Would any Mexican lady wear silver sombreros around their neck? I think not. It''s tourist trade jewelry and I doubt it is very collectible except as an example of vintage kitch.

"Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel."

glitts

Rough_Rock
Karen-
Just thought you might want to know that I took the Mexican Filigree necklace to a jeweler and they were able to tell me this about the hallmark; it reads "900" the 0< after the 900 he was not sure about. He thought it may have been the artists mark for filigree pieces. Then under the 900-it reads Costillo. He wasnt sure which costillo made this piece since there were so many at the Mexican silversmiths with the same last name. But he did say the the 900 is helpful in indentifying the artist, since mexican silver was only marked 900 between 1900-1920. Kind of interesting, but after reading your responce above, it makes me wonder if it is mexican silver at all. The jeweler said that mexican silver was only marked 900 between 1900-1920, but what about other silver? And if costillo was such a popular name in mexico, what about spain? Spain has sombreros also, right? I dont know its late and I interested in what your thoughts may be. Thanks for responding about the original question to this post. And thanks for your help with all my questions in this forum.

Best Regards-
Melissa
35.gif

Ps I apologize for any typos or grammer errors-like I said it is late!!
24.gif

loupe

Rough_Rock
Melissa,

Your jeweler may have a point about the .900 but that means that it is less than sterling, marked .925. If that reads Castillo, that is one of the most famous silversmiths coming out of Taxco, Mexico. BUT, there are copies, good and bad. And the marks have to be looked at veeeery carefully. And not all of the Castillo family were good at what they did. AND the Catillo name continues to be used by the real artists as well as the wanna-be''s. Sombreros are unique to the new world.

"Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results