shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum engagement ring - should it turn yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tracy458

Rough_Rock
My fiance bought me a platinum engagement ring - or so he thought. It seems as though there is gold/yellowing showing through. We looked at bands at another jeweler and he was surprised it was "platinum" since the yellow was showing through. We took it to the jeweler where it was bought and he said that the ring was soldered with gold for resizing (down) and that through wear and cleaning (it has only been 6 months), the gold solder was showing through but the ring is platinum. He told us it was completely normal for platinum. He said he could put a coat of rhodium over it and make it look like new. Some of the research I''ve done shows that they put rhodium over white gold and not platinum. There is also a lot of pitting in the ring - tht doesn''t seem right either. Is it possible he is lying to us? Where can we turn for answers so we can get the proper remedy if it fact it is not what he sold us? We''re so upset and confused. Thank you. Tracy

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doesn''t sound like platinum to me at all. And why would anyone solder PLAT with gold?!

Is it hefty? Weigh alot? Did this jeweler have you HOLD a platinum and a white gold to feel a difference because there IS a HUUUUUUUUUGE weight difference.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have never in my life heard of platinum yellowing. Get it checked out.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds strange to me. I have never heard that before.
33.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring was apparently soldered with white gold even though the ring was platinum. When I confronted the jeweler about this, he said that platinum solder did not even exist!!
31.gif
Thankfully I had already found PS and then knew that I apparently knew more than my own jeweler. He also had said something about them being unable to use platinum solder anyway because it would burn the diamonds or something. Another stupid line. Let''s just say that thankfully we were allowed to return the ring. And I did advise him as we left that perhaps he should find another bench worker
2.gif

So is the e-ring just yellowing near where the ring was sized? If so, then it probably is gold solder. You could always go into another jewelry store and ask to feel a white gold ring and see if there is a big difference in weight. Platinum definitely weighs more.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What is this stores return policy? Six months may be to long to get a refund however this sounds off to me... I have rings sized as well and they never turned yellow. What is the ring marked? And to be blunt pitting regardless of metal is not attractive. It sounds like low quality workmanship. I am sorry you are having to deal with this. Best of luck to you.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
WOW.. That sucks...I am sorry.. It doesn'y make any sense to me that it should yellow. But I think there were explianations here. I would be LIVID!!!! ugh.. conflict with jeweler.. I would take it back to himand tell him what you found out!

norman_in_L.A.

Rough_Rock
Tracey;

Usually a jeweler will tell you if they have to size a platinum ring with white or rhodium'd yellow gold. Sizing platinum requires a higher temperature than gold and a higher skill level. It sounds like they did not tell you any this. I would ask the jeweler to either special order your ring from the manufactuer in the right size or make it easy on yourself and ask for a cash refund.

In the Chicago area you have many jewelry stores that are capable of sizing platinum. But, they are out numbered by the ones that cannot. Your jeweler either used gold to size a platinum ring, or the ring is white gold. If your close to Woodfield Mall head over there.

If you really want the ring tested send it to us or go to a local Gemologist that can do a metal test for you.

Tips on How to Protect Yourself
The Next Time

• Only buy platinum jewelry item from a manufacturer or jeweler that will put in writing and guarantee the platinum content of your item.
• A Gents 6mm, size 9 ½ comfort fit platinum wedding ring will weigh 14 to15 grams. A similar 585-platinum ring will weigh 9 to 10 grams. A simular14KT white gold ring, rhodium'd will weigh even less.
• The color will be noticeably different. Platinum items will be high polished with a white-luster. The 585-platinum items will either be rhodium plated (a gemologist can determine it the item is plated) or will show a grey-luster. The 14KTW gold item will also be rhodium plated, plus it may show pitting.
• Melting point. The melting point of platinum is 3214.00 degrees Fahrenheit. The 585-platinum will begin to melt at 900 degrees Fahrenheit. Without the right precautions a jeweler’s torch could turn your 585-platinum item into pudding, very fast. On the other hand most jewelers could not melt platinum.

Norman Monteau
AIG LAbs http://aiglabs.com
American International Gemologists

tracy458

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your thoughtful answer Norman. I did take it to a jeweler - a friend of a friend who I''m finding out is quite a reputatble guy - and he asked his goldsmith to take a look. He said that the ring does have some platinum but there is a lot of 14K gold in it. He said that the ring obviously has had a lot of work done on it, not just one resizing and it will not last a lifetime. Apparently the workmanship is very poor and I can even see some of the diamonds in the channel are already loose. In my perfect world, I would get someone else to use my diamonds (they are sentimental to me) to build a new setting - high end estimate of $1,700. But I am mad to have to do this at my own cost. I can''t imagine the orignal jeweler will give me any money back. He offered to remake it in silver gold for me. Huh! I told him we payed for platinum, he said that it would cost him extra to have it remade. He made it sound like the problem was with us and that we didn''t like that platinum would have to get a new layer of rhodium every 6 months. I''ve not spoken to the orignal jeweler since we got the new information about the quality of the ring though. If you have any advice on resources to recover anything from this guy, I''d be most appreciative. We''re getting married soon and this is a stress that we weren''t prepared for. I so appreciate your post. Thank you. Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results