shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Platinumsmith

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read that when platinum gets scratched the metal is moved over/displaced rather than being lost as it is with gold and that is why platinum keeps its heft better over the years. My question is, when platinum is buffed by a jeweller to take out scratches say once a year, is the metal being moved over during this process or is it lost? I know it is only a small minute amount but was just wondering this due to what I have heard about platinum when it is scratched.

norman_in_L.A.

Rough_Rock
pyramid;

Platinum does not oxidize or react to harsh chemicals like chlorine. Platinum jewelry will develop a patina over time which can be polished off. Many of our customers say that the patina is beautiful.

It
does scratch, but the scratches will not cause a metal loss, like with gold. The platinum jewelry item can be re-polished, without any metal loss. It is extremly durable.

Are you thinking of getting something made from platinum?

Norman Monteau
AIG LAbs http://aiglabs.com
American International Gemologists

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
norman_in_L.A. Thank you for your reply. I intend to get a platinum setting when I buy a solitaire diamond. I always thought that when polishing the ring would lose some platinum but not when scratched so you have answered my question. It would therefore be safe to get the ring polished as often as one wants then?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for replying Feydakin. I think Platinum may be the way to go for a ring which will be worn everyday. I still like my gold too though.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
That was a good question.
It does bruise and because it is harder it doesn't scratch.

I experience it everyday when I was setting, that platinum can be handled a lot and only need a final buff.

Hope that helps,

Phillip

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks platinumsmith. It seems the posters had a difference in opinion about whether it loses platinum when being polished though.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid,

When I repolish platinum the loss is less then with gold.

Platinum hardly wears at all under the mop. That is why we use emery paper to take away big scratches, smaller emery scratches, then bring it to a slight sheen with the finest paper before it is polished. The face of the metal where there was a scratch has been brought flush with the deepest part of the scratch. Don''t panick. This distance, whilst having a large affect on the overall shine is marginal.

To simply buff a platinum ring the loss is next to nothing. Your unlikely to see any loss

To file emery and buff away sratches you have the exact same situation as with gold, all things being equal.

There may be an argument that platinum scratches are not as deep as they are more like dints and less severe.

Platinum rings won''t wear away against each other as fast as gold rings will, even though the pace of the initial scratching is just as high in platinum.

There is a case for beating, plannishing and burnishing.

Platinum and gold that has been ''surface hardened'' with some kind of compression will stand up much better.

Gold is different. It doesn''t harden as much by tooling or soften as much by annealing (softening by tourch) and it burns easily.

Platinum takes specific treaments

Phillip

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Platinumsmith.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results