shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1479141368|4098212 said:
Jen - I had to pop in to thank you for posting this find. I got it because of your post. I was trying to wear a silver nail polish (Halloween! :D ) that pealed and scraped from the get-go because the polish contained so many solids. I got a bottle of this stuff at Sally's, and voila - I got at least five very good days of wear out of my polish! I didn't start to have problems until I washed two cars without wearing gloves.

I'm glad it worked out for you! I am really impressed with how well it protects my polish and prevents chips and peeling. :wavey:

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Started using the Tatcha pore perfecting sunscreen. Doesn't leave a white cast and seems to work well with my reactive skin. I really like this one. It is pricey, however.

Still looking for a good eye cream, however.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1476726927|4087973 said:
Really great air dry top coat! I actually got it as a freebie from Sally's for buying something else (a few regular OPI polishes, I think) a month or so ago. This stuff is awesome! I put one coat on my regular (non-gel) polish a week ago, making sure to wrap the tips, and I have had zero chips/peeling of polish, something I normally deal with in 3-4 days warranting remover & repolish, as I'm a little hard on my hands and wash them multiple times/day, yard work, dishes, etc. It dries fast (touchable in 4 mins), and it kept a stellar high-shine for the entire week.

I just applied another coat, just to see how long I can keep my week-old polish going. :dance:

Retails for about $8.

Link: http://www.sallybeauty.com/diamond-top-coat/SBS-299000,default,pd.html

Since I just did my nails last night (and still need to clean up the edgesl so don't judge!), I thought I would post this pic to show the shine this Polish top coat gives while the sun was out. I like a shine vs matte look to my nails, so I am absolutely loving this product! If you want/prefer a high shine that is very strong & long lasting, it is worth checking out.

If I was more talented, I would have added holly leaves for the holidays. :lol:

20161211_092933.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1481467005|4106316 said:
JoCoJenn|1476726927|4087973 said:
Really great air dry top coat! I actually got it as a freebie from Sally's for buying something else (a few regular OPI polishes, I think) a month or so ago. This stuff is awesome! I put one coat on my regular (non-gel) polish a week ago, making sure to wrap the tips, and I have had zero chips/peeling of polish, something I normally deal with in 3-4 days warranting remover & repolish, as I'm a little hard on my hands and wash them multiple times/day, yard work, dishes, etc. It dries fast (touchable in 4 mins), and it kept a stellar high-shine for the entire week.

I just applied another coat, just to see how long I can keep my week-old polish going. :dance:

Retails for about $8.

Link: http://www.sallybeauty.com/diamond-top-coat/SBS-299000,default,pd.html

Since I just did my nails last night (and still need to clean up the edgesl so don't judge!), I thought I would post this pic to show the shine this Polish top coat gives while the sun was out. I like a shine vs matte look to my nails, so I am absolutely loving this product! If you want/prefer a high shine that is very strong & long lasting, it is worth checking out.

If I was more talented, I would have added holly leaves for the holidays. :lol:
That red!!!! :love: :love: :love: It's perfect!!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1481469261|4106324 said:

Thank you! It's OPI's "an affair in red square". :wavey:

_6335.jpeg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1481469804|4106326 said:
House Cat|1481469261|4106324 said:

Thank you! It's OPI's "an affair in red square". :wavey:
Thank YOU!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just tried Benefit Cosmetics Gimme Brow volumizing fiber gel for the first time. Oh my gosh, I have brows again and they look totally natural.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I have another great brow product suggestion - it's from Glossier. It's a waxy/gel-type product that you brush on. The best part is that it contains ingredients that encourage brow hair growth, so it's perfect for those of us who want to fill in sparse brow areas.

I also have another couple of products that I've been loving. The eyeshadow palette called Naked Basics 2 from Urban Decay has been my go-to lately. It has 6, neutral, matte shadows that are very natural looking.
I also just purchased these tiny post from Makeup Forever called Star Lit Powder. They are highly pigmented and sparkly, but the sparkle is extremely fine, so it's not too glittery. They are great for highlighting (like the inner corners of your eyes, etc.) or they work as eyeshadows or eyeliners if you want to glam it up for a night.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
If any of you are like me and have really bad dark circles, I have FINALLY figured out how to cover them! I have started using a corrector under my concealer. My two favorites are the Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector and the Smashbox Color Correcting Stick. I finally managed to score Tarte's "Shape Tape" concealer in my shade and once I've blended the corrector a tiny bit I add that. It is magic! My mom gave me the Sigma 3DHD precision brush as well as the Sigma precision brush set and they are perfect for blending concealer/corrector.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really love this thread. I have been reading it for a while, and have bought some of the products (thanks for the recommendations!).

But I really need help remembering to actually apply them. I either just completely forget, or I am running so late/tired that I just think *I'll do it tomorrow*. And of-course tomorrow never comes. I use my stuff maybe once a week max.

I know I should just stop being lazy. But does anyone have some better suggestions about how I can get myself to actually use the products? I have already tried sticking stuff on counters next to the front door and it doesn't work. I just run straight past the stuff.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
qubitasaurus|1484452868|4115413 said:
I really love this thread. I have been reading it for a while, and have bought some of the products (thanks for the recommendations!).

But I really need help remembering to actually apply them. I either just completely forget, or I am running so late/tired that I just think *I'll do it tomorrow*. And of-course tomorrow never comes. I use my stuff maybe once a week max.

I know I should just stop being lazy. But does anyone have some better suggestions about how I can get myself to actually use the products? I have already tried sticking stuff on counters next to the front door and it doesn't work. I just run straight past the stuff.

How about putting a large mirror just behind the front door, or somewhere in full lighting, natural lighting preferably, that you have to walk past before leaving? I always look at myself in the mirror before leaving the house. DH and my friends tell me that I look fine au naturel but I shudder at how pale and tired I look without makeup or with less makeup on; so checking myself before I leave the house always works for me.

And/or bring some products with you and apply them on in the bathroom during your breaks?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... this isn't a beauty product, it's my own little jewelry organization hack and there wasn't really anyplace else to share it. Please excuse the lousy picture quality.

I did some year-end bathroom vanity organizing and was looking for an easy way to organize dangly earrings - the ones that don't go in the secure storage. Then I saw some metal mesh desk organizers at an office supply store - Bingo! My new earring organizer cost me less than $5.00, and can double as a makeup pencil or brush holder!

pencil_cup.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for an actual beauty product that I'm loving, right now it's my La Natura Vitamin E & Aloe Shea Butter Lip Balm. I use it year-round, but I really can't do without it in the winter.

lipbalm_vitamine_aloe_1024x1024.png

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1484458554|4115422 said:
qubitasaurus|1484452868|4115413 said:
does anyone have some better suggestions about how I can get myself to actually use the products?

How about putting a large mirror just behind the front door, or somewhere in full lighting, natural lighting preferably, that you have to walk past before leaving? I always look at myself in the mirror before leaving the house. DH and my friends tell me that I look fine au naturel but I shudder at how pale and tired I look without makeup or with less makeup on; so checking myself before I leave the house always works for me.

And/or bring some products with you and apply them on in the bathroom during your breaks?

Yes I think that is a great idea. At the moment I rent though, and I am pretty sure I am not allowed to mount a large mirror on the wall. But I think you might be right -- I need to put something really noticable near the door, or find a way to trigger a reminder when I leave the house/get a taxi. And make sure all the products are easy to reach, so I have no more excuses.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1484461143|4115425 said:
As for an actual beauty product that I'm loving, right now it's my La Natura Vitamin E & Aloe Shea Butter Lip Balm. I use it year-round, but I really can't do without it in the winter.

lipbalm_vitamine_aloe_1024x1024.png

I might have to try this. I seem to always have dry lips.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
A new (to me) beauty product I've just recently discovered and become obsessed with - Sephora's cream lip stain. It stays on FOREVER, I drink with it on and nothing transfers to my glass/cup, stays on through meals, the only time I need to touch it up is if I've eaten something especially oily. At the end of the day, even when I haven't touched it up at all since putting it on 10+ hours prior, I have to use makeup remover to get it off.

It comes in like 40 different colors, too, so there's a wide range for everyone.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I've used it too and yes, it's a great lip stain (and inexpensive) =)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to issue a DIRE warning about DevaCurl products.

I have kinky/wavy/frizzy hair which can easily be scrunched into a mass of curls. So I bought the Low-Poo shampoo, the One conditioner, and some of the hair mask.

I used the hair mask, which promised amazing hydration, etc. etc and I was surprised to find it did nothing of the kind, so I threw it away after two uses. I thought it did nothing for my hair at all and that, unlike other masks, my hair had no extra softness at all after using.

I assumed that this fail was a one-off...Well, I've been using the shampoo and conditioner for about two months, and I've just thrown the half-empty bottles away. My hair is absolutely PARCHED and DRY AS STRAW! In addition, I've broken out around my face, and also, my hair is really greasy the second day after washing. I researched online and other people also say that DevaCurl dried out their hair and caused breakouts around the hairline. Apparently it's because of an ingredient called A-cone. DevaCurl stopped using A-cone a few years ago, but whatever they've replaced it with has the same effect.

My hair has aged two decades and is dull and drier than I've ever known it. It's as if I fried my hair under the sun all day, every day for two months. I'm going to have to coax it back to good health with a LOT of hair masks!

My advice is to avoid these dreadful products at ALL costs!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also wanted to say that I discovered Estee Lauder's Bold Volume Lifting Mascara and I think it's fab. Lengthens, separates, really enhances my lashes but doesn't make them look like spider legs.

However, it costs $27.50 plus tax, which I just think is a lot for mascara.

So, I got Clinique's High Impact Extreme Volume mascara, and it's not good at all. The mascara is all clumped and gloopy on the wand, so it goes on unevenly. It makes my lashes look like knock-kneed, drunk spiders.

I'm going back to the Lauder one. Although it costs a lot, it's hard to find a mascara which enhances your lashes and still looks natural, so I'm just going to pay the price.

Edit: Just seen online that Maybelline's Full N' Soft mascara has thousands of very good reviews, so I might try that before forking out $30 again for the Lauder one.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1488403898|4135315 said:
Also wanted to say that I discovered Estee Lauder's Bold Volume Lifting Mascara and I think it's fab. Lengthens, separates, really enhances my lashes but doesn't make them look like spider legs.

However, it costs $27.50 plus tax, which I just think is a LOT for mascara.

So, I got Clinique's High Impact Extreme Volume mascara, and it's not good at all. The mascara is all clumped and gloopy on the wand, so it goes on unevenly. It makes my lashes look like knock-kneed, drunk spiders.

I'm going back to the Lauder one. Although it costs a lot, it's hard to find a mascara which enhances your lashes and still looks natural, so I'm just going to pay the price.

Sorry for your lousy hair product experience. Return products you can't use/are harmful!

Incidentally, I second your admiration of EL mascara...but ADORE YSL. The price point is higher--but I've not used anything that provides more volume. And color...if you care. People say WOWOW your eyelashes are ....(insert color here...)

cheers--Sharon

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Sharon. Which YSL mascara do you use? If it's that good, I might try it.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that despite my usual love for Clinique, that their mascaras have only disappointed me.

I'm a big fan of Marc jacobs' mascara from sephora. So good!! Volume and length to the max! Could be a bit much if you were going for the "no makeup makeup" look.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use the Maybelline's Rocket Volume WP mascara - which is really to hold the curl in my lashes. I've got long but stick straight Asian lashes. This does the trick because it's a drier formula, but it doesn't really volumize. , Then I layer with a second coat of a different mascara. I have to be careful though, because some of them will undo the curl. Rollerball uncurls them. Too Faced's Better than Sex works well, but I can't deal with the clumpy formula.

The Diorshow WP mascara works well for me, although it is a wetter formula.

I want to make a shoutout for Colour Pop - I bought two of their highlighters, Wisp and Butterfly Beach (cheap!) and they are very pigmented. If you like the glow, they definitely do the trick.

As for shampoos, I've moved onto the Morocco Method. They aren't cheap, but paleo. My scalp is calmer, although there are still dry patches. Once a week I use an ACV + water rinse to cleanse out build up and create shine.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, I might just get the YSL mascara! My local Lord & Taylor is having 10% off cosmetics this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation!

Pearaffair, also thanks for the MJ tip! I agree re. Clinique mascara. The current one sticks my eyelashes together and their basic one, Naturally Glossy or something, doesn't do enough.

I think mascara is one of the trickiest cosmetics, in terms of finding one that's just right. It's the jeans of the makeup world!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearaffair|1488405598|4135330 said:
I agree that despite my usual love for Clinique, that their mascaras have only disappointed me.

I'm a big fan of Marc jacobs' mascara from sephora. So good!! Volume and length to the max! Could be a bit much if you were going for the "no makeup makeup" look.

The MJ Highlighter Pen Gel Crayon is an excellent product. I've been around the block with "eye" crayons and this one is great.

Speaking of crayons while I love Nars and won't change because I adore the color and consistency, I am tired that it is always broken.

cheers--Sharon

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if any of you remember me talking about getting eczema on my face, especially in the creases of my eyelids, for the past couple of years. I could sometimes keep it under control but sometimes not. Well... after a bunch of allergy testing and eliminating various things that came up positive, it turns out what was causing it was... soap and many coconut/palm-based ingredients, which are in most lotions and things. So for several months I went with only oil cleansing using mineral oil and mineral oil to moisturize. With no exfoliation and not the greatest moisturizing my skin was not the happiest it's ever been - I had hormonal breakouts that took forever to go away and for the skin to heal, my skin was dry, my pores looked huge, I looked like I was getting wrinkles, etc, so no eczema but every other problem instead!

A couple of months ago I started reintroducing things to try to get my skin back to perfection. I've had really good success with products by the Korean brand CosRx. They have minimal ingredients so I don't have to google fifty gazillion things to see what they are made from, and a lot of their things are in "essence" or "toner" form so they don't have thickeners and lotions that tend to cause me problems.

I started by using their Galactomyces essence to moisturize -
https://www.amazon.com/Cosrx-Galactomyces-Whitening-Power-Essence/dp/B00OZE57XW/
Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate, Niacinamide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Betaine, Panthenol, Glycerin, 1, 2-Hexanediol, Allantoin, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Ethyl Hexanediol, Adenosine

When that worked well I moved on to their BHA to exfoliate and get rid of breakouts. This uses betaine salicylate instead of salicylic acid, and it's supposed to be far gentler on your skin while still exfoliating, and it was indeed gentle enough for me to use while I was going skiing in the cold dry weather that usually wrecks my skin and allows for no exfoliation. I went a week in Colorado with only using the bha, galactomyces whitening essence, and then aquaphor only around my nose, and my skin remained hydrated.
https://www.amazon.com/Cosrx-Bha-Blackhead-Power-Liquid/dp/B00OZEJ8R8/
Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Water, Butylene Glycol, Betaine Salicylate, Niacinamide 1, 2-Hexanediol, Arginine, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Xanthan Gum, Ethyl Hexanediol

And now I'm adding in their AHA (which I previously used regularly) once a week for extra exfoliation. I'm mainly adding it in because I have it and want to use it up. It works well but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it because it smells like a burning tire fire. None of their other stuff smells bad - idk what went wrong with this but it's a common complaint.
https://www.amazon.com/Cosrx-Whitehead-Power-Liquid-100ml/dp/B00OZ9WOD8/
Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycolic Acid, Niacinamide, Sodium Hydroxide, 1,2-Hexanediol, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Xanthan Gum, Ethyl Hexanediol

I am using a shampoo by Gluten-Free Savonnerie. It is working well and I haven't gotten the dandruff or the eczema/dermatitis around my ears I can get if the products don't agree with me. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7WCKBW/

I also stopped using my beloved Face Atelier foundation in case it was affecting anything, and started using mineral foundation by Meow Cosmetics. I'm not usually a fan of powder foundations but it is pretty nice and a great color match. http://www.meowcosmetics.com/

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1488403898|4135315 said:

However, it costs $27.50 plus tax, which I just think is a lot for mascara.

Edit: Just seen online that Maybelline's Full N' Soft mascara has thousands of very good reviews, so I might try that before forking out $30 again for the Lauder one.

Hi everyone! I haven't been much of a contributor here, but I read along and you have inspired me to try a few things so I hope I can jump in!

I wear little to no makeup (since having kids really, I just found I was too tired at night to properly wash it off). But I'm at a point where I miss the subtle brightening and mood lift a little makeup can give me.

I went on a mascara binge. I tried a bunch of designer and drug store mascaras, and Jamba the Full N Soft works really well for me! It feels so good on - I have sensitive eyes. And it had enough of an effect to make my lashes go from not seeing them at all to being noticeable and pretty. I also like Clinique's High Impact WP, and it wore through a day on a boat and swimming in the ocean! Neither of these are super dramatic (I have non-noticeable lashes, so I am still on the hunt for a dramatic effect that I like).

And Guerlain's Baby Glow primer! OMG. Yup. Worth it. I never really liked foundation even in my makeup wearing days. I don't have perfect skin though, some redness, some light acne (sometimes a good cystic one), visible pores on the nose.... Anyway, I use Bubble & Bees Cucumber face wash and my face likes that with some visible improvement, and I just tried Neutrogina's Oil-Free wash and that seems to be working REALLY well... so my skin has improved and with the addition of the Baby Glow.... it was very luminous yesterday! Love it! Felt light and smooth, and while it doesn't cover, it did do something very nice. I've got their foundation to try, but I don't think I'll want to wear that regularly, so the primer is a nice addition to make me feel and look a little nicer.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late to edit - the foundation is Meteorites Baby Glow, and what I called the 'Baby Glow primer' is Meteorites Base. :loopy:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainydaze - thanks for the mascara input! I think the Clinique mascara that I have and don't care for is the High Impact.

I also tried the Maybelline Full and Soft. I actually like it - I like the effect, which is to make my lashes fuller and longer without clumping together, BUT I do find that I need to apply quite a few coats to get this effect, like four or five. I get the same effect from the Lauder one with one or two.

You said that you have non-noticeable lashes and are looking for a dramatic effect...I really think you might like Diorshow mascara in black. That one is certainly a dramatic mascara! I used it ages ago and can't remember much about it, but it was definitely blacker and more dramatic than anytning I've used. I have a feeling I decided it was too much for everyday.

Sharon - I decided not to try the YSL mascara because I prefer a more natural look.

I think mascaras and foundations are the hardest makeup items to get just right.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results