shape
carat
color
clarity

Visiting GoodOldGold - Any advice??!?

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
girlguineapig|1480527098|4103774 said:
I spoke to Jon about a custom cut and for myself ended up deciding it's not the route for me. I was going to upgrade my 1.05 ct AVR but I realized I've grown much too attached to the way it looks and would reject certain AVR faceting. Jon did think he would able to make me happy with a recut. But, I would not be able to utilize the 100% trade up for a custom cut, only 75% buyback. So I'm going to be content with my current beauty and am now focusing on other jewelry projects. :naughty:

Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out! :D

Sorry to hear you couldn't utilize the 100% tradeup, though the 75% buyback is still an amazing option. I certainly understand not wanting to chance it on new faceting once you've gotten used to your stone's, though. You can live vicariously through me/us!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Fantspants|1480580638|4103991 said:
I am in the process of having a much smaller AVR cut for me by Jon (who is very friendly to work with long distance) and I didn't have a 2 grade clarity specified

The email says "I have the request in for .9xct K/L VS-SI" - to me that would encompass VS1, VS2 and SI1, Sl2 - which depending on your definition could mean 2 or 4....

Although I specified dimensions and that I would be happy with anything eyeclean - I assume you guys were more specific than that?

I definitely think the custom cut process is tailored to the needs/desires of each individual client. It sounds like you're fine with SI so long as it's eyeclean, which I take to mean you wouldn't be locked in if it wasn't. I may consider using that specification if that's the case, as I really don't think I'd mind an eyeclean SI. The problem is the chance the cutter/Jon's taking of choosing fairly included rough only to find themselves stuck with a non-eyeclean SI2 or I. At which point I guess they would throw it into inventory and wait for someone who doesn't mind visible inclusions..? It just seems like a lot of risk on their end. But maybe the relative inexpensiveness of included rough makes it an ok risk for them.

As we've seen, people will go to the very ends of the alphabet and down to I clarity to get their hands on these stones!

But to your point, no, I don't think Jon says to every custom client - we'll shoot for exactly two grades in each category. I think that's his required MINIMUM. As in, he wouldn't custom cut a stone for a client who would ONLY accept an I or ONLY accept VVS2. That would be unreasonable, and if I were him, I'd worry about the customer that exact being ultimately dissatisfied with some element or other.

ALSOOOOO I think he mentioned your stone to me the other night!! He said, I just got a custom stone in and we're good on color, good on clarity, such and such carat (at the higher end of the weight range.) Oh, I'm so excited for you if it's your stone - he seemed very happy with the result!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Poshmommy - I was actually considering wearing my rings that way! I have a simple 4mm band I made myself that I wear on my right ring finger, so I'm already used to the feeling of having a ring there.

As for the setting, I've told Jon what I want and am open to suggestions from him, but am currently thinking SK. If Jon suggests a different bench, I'll certainly come here and ask opinions!

Diamondseeker - I am leaving this open until I get advice from the designer regarding which option looks better/is safer, but I'll either have a (plain) donut or the milgrained prongs will join at the bottom of the band, which would cause the milgraining to rub against any wedding band. I could get a spacer, or I could just have the milgraining redone if it ever started to look seriously damaged, but those things aren't really my issue. I just think I wouldn't like the look of two rings on one finger...? Of course, I really have no idea until I HAVE the e-ring on my finger and can try on additional rings!! Who knows, I may go stacker crazy and put 4 rings on one finger! :naughty: :lol:

As for the setting, I'd love to get feedback/advice on my current idea:
- LM's Cosmo ring is the inspiration, but mixed with VC's scalloped Jocelyn. SK's current Destiny 2 is very similar.
- Shank: single row bright set pave, as in VC's Jocelyn. (milgrained)
- Prongs: bright-set, join at the base of the ring to form an off-set square "donut," as in the Cosmo. (milgrained) But could potentially want them to join on an actual small rounded donut.
- Gallery: bright-set, milgrained. Unsure if I want it double-sided as in the Cosmo/Destiny 2, or single as in the Jocelyn.

Double-row gallery, prongs joined at base of shank, square donut. (Cosmo)
basket.png

Single-row gallery, prongs joined at top of shank, no donut. (Jocelyn)
basket2.png

SK's Destiny 2 - Pretty much a single-row Cosmo, but u-cut pave instead of bright-set + a donut.
basketsk_0.png

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You posted a great summary of your visit! It sounds like you had a great trip! I hope you tried on ALL OF THE THINGS.

dazzlerazzle|1479837799|4101525 said:
Oh, thanks Karl! it hadn't occurred to me to look at anything other than AVR's and AVC's since they've basically been the loves of my life since I discovered them. :lol: But it does make sense to go ahead and compare to others to confirm that preferences once and for all!

And I also hadn't realized this would be a good opportunity to use the light-return tools!!

Is the pizza next door really that good? If so, we'll definitely plan lunch there after. Thnx for the suggestions!!! :wavey:
Yes it's good--or was when we were last there. SO DID YOU HAVE THE PIZZA!!?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely have the plain doughnut! That is what allows you to wear a band without the band touching your prongs. That used to be a problem with LM rings, because he would have his baskets so low that a wedding band would rub the prongs. But there is a better way to make them...not ultra low and the basket sits on a doughnut which lifts it up a little to allow for room for a band IF you decide to wear one (or more!).

SK is the best choice for your project as he does the style well and GOG can easily get the stone to him.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I love the SK destiny 2!! Very elegant. Have you looked at CVB at all? I think she has a similar setting that is breathtaking. I think it's called Chloe.

Could I please ask your opinion of one of the stones you saw at GOG? You briefly mentioned it already. Could you please elaborate on your thoughts on the 2.74 J VS1 AVC?

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
ame|1480618557|4104089 said:
You posted a great summary of your visit! It sounds like you had a great trip! I hope you tried on ALL OF THE THINGS.

Oh, thanks Karl! it hadn't occurred to me to look at anything other than AVR's and AVC's since they've basically been the loves of my life since I discovered them. :lol: But it does make sense to go ahead and compare to others to confirm that preferences once and for all!

And I also hadn't realized this would be a good opportunity to use the light-return tools!!

Is the pizza next door really that good? If so, we'll definitely plan lunch there after. Thnx for the suggestions!!! :wavey:

I actually didn't get a chance to try on ANYTHING, other than getting my true ring size at 2mm. By the time our meeting with Jon was over, GOG had become overrun with people, and SO wanted to rush to catch the soonest ferry, so we left. I personally could have stayed another few hours, but we WERE in New England to see SO's friends and family after all, so I figured I should accommodate! :lol:

Yes, we had the pizza, and yes it was fantastic! If/when we make it back, I'll be more adventurous - they had slices with chopped up grilled cheese sandwiches as a topping, mac-n-cheese, Italian pastas... you name it!

diamondseeker2006|1480629992|4104131 said:
Definitely have the plain doughnut! That is what allows you to wear a band without the band touching your prongs. That used to be a problem with LM rings, because he would have his baskets so low that a wedding band would rub the prongs. But there is a better way to make them...not ultra low and the basket sits on a doughnut which lifts it up a little to allow for room for a band IF you decide to wear one (or more!).

SK is the best choice for your project as he does the style well and GOG can easily get the stone to him.

Ok, thank you so much for explaining all this for me! It all makes sense, and I was actually looking at the LM yesterday after I posted in minute detail b/c I'm trying to sketch out the final ring I'm envisioning on graph paper, and I was realizing how extremely low the stone is set. I don't want a high setting, but definitely don't want it that low either! I think I liked the sharp, geometric look of the prongs joining that way, but it does seem to come with a lot of impracticality issues. Donut it is!

poshmommy|1480641448|4104168 said:
I love the SK destiny 2!! Very elegant. Have you looked at CVB at all? I think she has a similar setting that is breathtaking. I think it's called Chloe.

Could I please ask your opinion of one of the stones you saw at GOG? You briefly mentioned it already. Could you please elaborate on your thoughts on the 2.74 J VS1 AVC?

I had looked at CVB, but I haven't been able to find many examples of intricate bright-set pave from her. The Chloe is only similar in that it has pave going around the basket, but the overall construction is very different - do you mean the Jena? That has a bright-set pave shank, but no pave on basket. I haven't really been considering her for this because of all the intricate pave work. Not that I don't think she could execute, I just haven't seen any examples of this sort of work from her bench. For a newbie like me, it's easier to trust a pave "master" like SK, even though I'm sure CVB would do an excellent job as well!

Oh, how I wish I'd been better about taking photos and videos! I didn't even remember to do that until the last 30 minutes or so. I'm just kicking myself. Obviously I should have taken the I and J and done comparison videos, etc. I also wish I'd video'd the cushions!

Yes the J I looked at was:

15006//104061244004
J
VS1
MEDIUM
42.2%
71.1%
8.58x7.78x5.53 mm

I preferred it to the newly cut I:

15158//104090321001
I
VVS2
MEDIUM
47.7%
66.2%
7.7x7.55x5 mm

Mostly because the J has the ratio I love and the gently domed shoulder outline I love. It was beautiful!! I couldn't stop staring at it. It drew in color really well, was very bright, very typically excellent AVC. Are you considering getting an AVC in addition to your round?

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Did it face up pretty white to you? That's what I was hoping to hear! David did some videos of it and the I 2.11 and the colors looked similar and I MUCH preferred the shape of the 2.74 J. Yes, since we came in under budget on the CER my husband said I could use what was left for the next project on the list which is a pendant. I had been watching that stone for a few weeks and couldn't get it out of my head. Then I saw your initial comment on it and had hubby give them a call. It's on hold now, but I think I'll go ahead with the wire now. Thanks!!!

You are right about the Chloe. I looked back at it last night after I posted to you and it doesn't beat the SK. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Oh yes, it was very white to me. SO actually jokingly SAID he'd get it for me for a pendant because he knows I eventually want one (then followed that up with... "In 40 years!") :devil:

We both thought it would be perfect for a pendant!! How do you want to set it? CVB romantic? Canera modern?

I actually went to look at it again before I posted and figured you must have put it on hold when it didn't come up in search results! :lol:

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
dazzlerazzle|1480709506|4104374 said:
Oh yes, it was very white to me. SO actually jokingly SAID he'd get it for me for a pendant because he knows I eventually want one (then followed that up with... "In 40 years!") :devil:

We both thought it would be perfect for a pendant!! How do you want to set it? CVB romantic? Canera modern?

I actually went to look at it again before I posted and figured you must have put it on hold when it didn't come up in search results! :lol:

Yep....should be the 1st rule of pricescope: never leave a great stone unguarded then come on here and post about it!

I'm thinking about trying SK this time.

When are y'all planning on moving forward with the rough search?

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
poshmommy|1480714408|4104388 said:
dazzlerazzle|1480709506|4104374 said:

Yep....should be the 1st rule of pricescope: never leave a great stone unguarded then come on here and post about it!

I'm thinking about trying SK this time.

When are y'all planning on moving forward with the rough search?

I'm very excited to work with SK. I just wish there was a larger "Show me your....." thread for him so that I could see more client images of his work. :(

We currently plan to start the search for rough in January. SO wants to get past the holiday stress and travel so that he can be free to focus entirely on the ring once the process gets underway. Since he doesn't want to propose until May/June (I'm guessing that's still his timeline) we should have plenty of time to not feel rushed through any of the various steps. We'll probably have Jon send the finished stone directly to Steven, and I'm hoping/guessing we'll be able to get started on the ring by the beginning of March at the latest. Then SO would have it in hand by early or mid May.

Does this seem like we're leaving enough time for everything, or should we try to get started sooner?

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
dazzlerazzle|1480966637|4104967 said:
I'm very excited to work with SK. I just wish there was a larger "Show me your....." thread for him so that I could see more client images of his work. :(

We currently plan to start the search for rough in January. SO wants to get past the holiday stress and travel so that he can be free to focus entirely on the ring once the process gets underway. Since he doesn't want to propose until May/June (I'm guessing that's still his timeline) we should have plenty of time to not feel rushed through any of the various steps. We'll probably have Jon send the finished stone directly to Steven, and I'm hoping/guessing we'll be able to get started on the ring by the beginning of March at the latest. Then SO would have it in hand by early or mid May.

Does this seem like we're leaving enough time for everything, or should we try to get started sooner?

It might be a little tight if your SO wants to purpose in May because Jon may not find the right rough for your project immediately after your request. Time needs to be reserved to find the rough, and two months are usually reserved for the cutting process. It'll take at least a week for the diamond to return from AGS. Then you need to reserve another two months to wait for the ring to be made. It could take less than eight weeks to complete each stage, but if you do not want to rush, you may want to start the search earlier or move the proposal to a later date.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

Does this seem like we're leaving enough time for everything, or should we try to get started sooner?[/quote]

Odds are, that would probably be okay. However, we did start May/June and my ring is not finished yet. If he can be flexible with the proposal date that will be best. I just saw that LawmaLlama started her rough search with GOG in July, stone arrived in September, and it sounds like she had it back fully set in late November. That would hit right on your schedule.

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Skhii, Poshmommy, y'all were so right!

I asked SO when he actually wants to have the ring by and he said he was sure he'd have it in hand by early May, if not sooner. If I didn't want Med+ fluorescence, I think it would be entirely safe to wait another month, but I really don't want to feel rushed into accepting a non-fluoro rough if we start to bump up against a timeline!

So we might be getting started sooner... SO said he'd be happy to just push the proposal a bit, but I'm not a huge fan of THAT option! :lol:

Posh, I'm so excited to see you've reached an agreement and that the stone is being set! Can't wait to see it in the Emilya! :love: Also excited to see how you set that beautiful J AVC.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
dazzlerazzle|1480698115|4104345 said:
ame|1480618557|4104089 said:

I actually didn't get a chance to try on ANYTHING, other than getting my true ring size at 2mm. By the time our meeting with Jon was over, GOG had become overrun with people, and SO wanted to rush to catch the soonest ferry, so we left. I personally could have stayed another few hours, but we WERE in New England to see SO's friends and family after all, so I figured I should accommodate! :lol:

Yes, we had the pizza, and yes it was fantastic! If/when we make it back, I'll be more adventurous - they had slices with chopped up grilled cheese sandwiches as a topping, mac-n-cheese, Italian pastas... you name it!
OH MY GOD. I want that slice.

I would definitely second the comments RE plain donut, btw. Safety, practical, and just easier for life in general.

Custom cut stone? ENVY. Worth it. Seriously, worth it.

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
UPDATES!!

I think I'll just track the custom cut progress in this thread as opposed to starting a new one, since this one already has so much of the up-front information...

SO submitted the request form to Jonathan on December 28th!

Here's what he asked for:
H-J range
VS
2.0-2.3 ct
budget: 20,000-24,000

We also included the AGS number of an AVR that we'd like the cutter to match as closely as possible once rough is found. It's VERY similar to DS's, but slightly shallower and speadier (with the ~50 table I seem to prefer.)

Jonathan responded immediately, let SO know that he would check with cutters to see if there was anything matching these specs in current inventory, but also let us know that they are expecting a fresh shipment of rough in mid January if not. We haven't heard anything further since then, but I know Jonathan has been sick for almost a month...

Also while we were in NY, SO and I went to the diamond district - and stumbled across the most breath-taking 3 ct K mrb in a tiffany-inspired setting that didn't seem to have any tint at all. When we asked about it, we were told it had high fluorescence. I'm definitely beyond sold on the high fluorescence!

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Good luck razzle-dazzle. I'm sure it will turn out great. Jonathan is so nice to work with. Your criteria is quite similar to what mine was when I went through the custom cut process with GOG. I asked for a 2ct, 8mm, I-VS, ok with fluoro, and I ended up with a big surprise on color - I got a 2.022 G-VS2, no fluoro, 8.07x8.02 mm. Mine has the table size you like 50.8, and 62 depth (good spread) and a large culet to boot. To be honest, I didn't ask for a particular table/depth on mine. I just wanted the flower pattern. My biggest concern was the 8mm, and as a color-sensitive person, color.

So, I was very pleased with my result. The process can take some time, hunting for a possible recut, then awaiting rough, selecting the crystal, shipping it for cutting, cutting, shipping it back, GOG's inspection, AGS certification, and then finally setting. So keep that in mind.

I think Jonathan and GOG are honest folks and really want their customers happy. I'm sure you are in good hands. I hope yours turns out well!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very exciting, dazzle!!! :appl: I cannot wait to see the outcome of your stone!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
So excited for you too! I will watch this thread for updates! I spent some time with VC's K CER and was also surprised how white it was face up. It had no flouro. I think you'll be safe in your range and with the flouro you want. Hope they find what you want quickly! Such a shame they can't just cut single cut melee from the wasted rough of the center stone for the halo....

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Hi dazzlerazzle! :wavey: Has Jon had any luck finding a rough?
Also, do you mind sharing the pictures (regular, IS, and ASET) and proportions from the AGS report of the stone you're trying to replicate? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I've been thinking about you lately too, dazzlerazzle! Any luck on the rough yet?

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Dazzlerazzle!!! Any update??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results