shape
carat
color
clarity

Can my ring be repaired?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's good as it's progress, rather than keeping going back to the jeweller because they say it is soft but they are in no way responsible in both what they said about the way the cathedral shoulder collapsed but also in truth if it was a manufacturing fault because they are not the manufacturer. I didn't want to see you in six months saying it was out of round and the jeweller just blaming the platinum and saying you would need to buy a new one from themselves.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to give you all an update on my rings, especially since everyone was so helpful.

Blue Nile has had my rings for two weeks now and last week inspected them. The report said that (2) prongs were fractured, both cathedral arms are uneven, and where (3) pave diamonds had fallen out during one of the repairs, the (3) pave diamonds were re-set uneven. Blue Nile said they can fix the pave prongs, solder a new prong head on, fix the cathedral arms, unsolder the two rings and polish them new again (although they technically are still new, since I've barely worn them :( ). I've told BN not to re-solder the rings for now.

I filed a claim with Jewelers Mutual when I sent the rings back to BN, in case the setting was ruined completely or worse, if my center stone was damaged (according to BN the diamond is fine, thankfully). I'm torn on what to do and would love some guidance. JM will cover the repairs but not a new setting as BN says they can repair everything to look new again. I do believe them (I have no reason to doubt BN), but for some reason I can not get past how much damaged has been done to the setting and am strongly contemplating buying the exact same setting but new. DH thinks that is crazy and BN should just repair it. JM has said that they will pay BN the cost of the repairs and if I choose to go with a new setting, I have to pay the difference which of course is totally fair. Am I over reacting? At this point I have been without my rings since Nov. 17th and I had only had them since Nov. 11th. I just want my rings back. :| Once JM sends BN the payment for repairs or if I go with a new setting, BN still has to make the repairs. They are so busy with holiday business, who knows when I will get my rings back. :(

Also, the local jeweler who damaged the setting has not cooperated with JM. Despite telling me two weeks ago twice that they would email JM their statement, they have not. The second time I called to follow up regarding the statement, the phone call was very icy on their end. Thankfully them not submitting their statement does not hold up the claim, according to JM.

Thank you all!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you're overreacting to wanting a new setting. If I'd been through what you had with this ring in only a month, I would want a new setting too because I'd feel like that one was cursed! We talk about "mind clean" on this forum a lot - it varies for different people but you always have to be mentally ok with your purchase in order for it to be worth it, even if that means making choices other people wouldn't make. HOWEVER - keep in mind that if they're putting a new prong head on and fixing the arms, probably a bunch of your ring WILL be new, with just the undamaged original parts remaining. I don't know what the ring cost or what the difference between the repairs is. So I can't really offer very good advice on what to do, but I can say that both options are valid and which one you choose depends on which you and your husband can afford and which will make you happy.

That is too bad about the local jeweler not following up with JM... interesting how they won't after they were so adamant that it wasn't their fault earlier.

Was BN able to tell you if the platinum was porous or not?

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
I agree - a new setting (if your budget permits) would be my preference too. I'd always be worried that perhaps the integrity of the setting was somehow compromised I think... or that I'd be waiting for something else to go wrong.

How much is the difference? (If you don't mind saying :))

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
The setting was $750, JM would apply $280 (the cost of repairs) so my out of pocket would be $470. I am waiting to hear back from BN about the integrity of the setting. I hate being a pain to BN and JM but my rings have been with BN for two weeks now. I'd like to see some movement and get my rings back, either repaired or reset. :( Between the cost of the new diamond and setting, plus the cost of soldering the rings to the local jeweler and then the cost of shipping my rings back to BN, DH is adamant that unless JM covers it, we are not paying another dime towards a new setting.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
[quote="distracts|1481593733|4106753"
That is too bad about the local jeweler not following up with JM... interesting how they won't after they were so adamant that it wasn't their fault earlier.

Was BN able to tell you if the platinum was porous or not?[/quote]

I'm so upset that the local jeweler has not cooperated on this claim. I don't know why it bothers me so much that they are not submitting their statement. I'm waiting to hear back from BN about the platinum quality.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That stinks! If there's any way you can swing a new setting I'd do that too. I've had rings (and cars for that matter) fixed before and they are just not the same...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1481664167|4106971 said:
The setting was $750, JM would apply $280 (the cost of repairs) so my out of pocket would be $470. I am waiting to hear back from BN about the integrity of the setting. I hate being a pain to BN and JM but my rings have been with BN for two weeks now. I'd like to see some movement and get my rings back, either repaired or reset. :( Between the cost of the new diamond and setting, plus the cost of soldering the rings to the local jeweler and then the cost of shipping my rings back to BN, DH is adamant that unless JM covers it, we are not paying another dime towards a new setting.

Oh for an extra $470 I would totally get a new setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never make a small claim like that on jewelry insurance. Making claims can result in higher premiums down the road, and it can also make it hard to get new insurance if you want to change companies. Use the insurance in case your diamond gets lost or cracked or the whole ring is stolen or lost. That's what it is for, to protect you from a significant loss that would be very hard to replace yourself. I would never make a claim on a setting unless maybe it was a super expensive french cut setting totally damaged or something similar. Cover small things yourself or you'll end up paying over the long haul.

I do think part of the problem in this situation was that the ring was made out of the softer platinum alloy. The other problem is the local jeweler not taking responsibility for the damage they did. I think they should split the difference and replace the setting for you. If not, I'd pay the repair cost at BN and submit that to your jeweler for reimbursement.

I am very sorry you are having such a hard time getting this resolved!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile just called and they said that the platinum is fine, no damage and that the ring will look new again. And that if I am unhappy with the repair work in any way, I can send the ring back to them for a reset. I agreed to the repair work and I should hopefully have my rings back by Christmas. :pray: And since BN said that the setting can be repaired, JM won't cover the cost of a reset, even though I would be picking the exact same setting. I trust BN and am hoping that it really does look new again!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
DS- The points you made were a concern of mine as well and I originally told JM that I would pay out of pocket for the repairs. But they said that since this was my first claim with them, that my premiums wouldn't increase. I hope that's true. :think:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1481668845|4106997 said:
Blue Nile just called and they said that the platinum is fine, no damage and that the ring will look new again. And that if I am unhappy with the repair work in any way, I can send the ring back to them for a reset. I agreed to the repair work and I should hopefully have my rings back by Christmas. :pray: And since BN said that the setting can be repaired, JM won't cover the cost of a reset, even though I would be picking the exact same setting. I trust BN and am hoping that it really does look new again!

Don't do it, Feb!! You know the ring is not ever going to be mind clean for you. In a month, you will get the urge to reset because you won't truly be content with a repaired ring. If this is going to be your forever setting, I would spring for a new one. Good luck!!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Another update: My ring is coming back from Blue Nile on Saturday (unless a delay happens). I'm very anxious and a bit stressed about how it will look. I am regretting not choosing (and me paying for the difference) of the same setting but new, but the decision was made and the ring should be almost finished, if not done already. I will post photos regardless of how it looks. I'm crossing my fingers it will look new again! Thank you for all of your opinions and guidance!

DiamondFlave

Rough_Rock
slightly off topic: what kind of ring is that from BN?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1482370045|4108894 said:
Another update: My ring is coming back from Blue Nile on Saturday (unless a delay happens). I'm very anxious and a bit stressed about how it will look. I am regretting not choosing (and me paying for the difference) of the same setting but new, but the decision was made and the ring should be almost finished, if not done already. I will post photos regardless of how it looks. I'm crossing my fingers it will look new again! Thank you for all of your opinions and guidance!

Fingers crossed for you Feb03Bride. I hope it all works out perfectly. If it isn't to your expectations can you change your mind and get a new setting? Perhaps BN will make it right if you don't love their fix. In any case hoping the ring is just perfect for you. :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1482370045|4108894 said:

Stop second guessing...wait til you get it and see how it looks...I hoping it's perfect and since BN knows the story I would think they
would make sure before sending it out.

I agree with DiamondSeeker...dont make small claims on insurance. Pay out of pocket unless it is a multi-thousand kind of thing.

I would have done what you did...I dont think there is any reason to buy a new one if it can be repaired to brand new look/quality.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I hope it looks as good as new! I do think given it is Blue Nile's own setting they can make it right.

I had a similar experience this summer. A local bench, that I have had good experiences with in past, really messed up on a resizing of my antique platinum ring. The once strong shank was now super thin (though I had had it sized down) and all wonky. From top you could not tell but I cringed everytime I looked at my palm or took my ring off (it certainly was not going to appear in any glamour shots!)

The bench was horrible about it all, blaming me for being picky, telling me I could wear it until it broke or pay them $800-900 Canadian for a reshank. They would not admit any fault even when I clarified I understood mistakes can happen and maybe there was a miscommunication both ways and I was willing to work with them on a solution. After some terse phone calls they did offer to "build" the shank up with more metal (not reshank). But one, I was by that point done with them after years of good experiences and two, knew that would not make it mind clean and was sort of like trying to hide the issue cosmetically.

I posted here about what to do, a couple of the experts did think it would survive a good while so a reshank was not a MUST immediately, but I also found some like minds in the "mind clean" crowd. Ultimately, I decided to reshank (a 1/2). Went to a different jeweler who does send their work out but what I got back was a seamless repair, beautiful shank, with perfect little sizing beads. At half the cost the bench who messed up was going to charge! Very happy and my ring is totally mind clean to me again.

DCMathTeacher

Rough_Rock
Feb I hope the ring is repaired soon and that you are able to enjoy it again.

I'm curious, would you be willing to share the name of local jeweler who attempted to fix your ring? Your reference to Quest leads me to think the jeweler is in the DMV.

Mods: I tried to search for a private message function but couldn't find it. Perhaps the OP can private message me?

Thanks OP. I hope you experience a good resolution to your ring and a happy holiday season

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results