shape
carat
color
clarity

Will the election results affect your diamond buying?

Will the election results affect your diamond buying?

• No

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Obviously there's much bigger issues flying around – but I have heard a lot of discussions about this in the trade… What's your opinion?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It won't affect mine. An Octavia is on my wish list.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure. I sure wished I had bought a gorgeous stone while I was in New York the second I heard Trump had won the election. My thinking was if its all going down the drain and I will likely lose much in the market, I'd rather a piece of that money sitting on my finger. Having a husband close to retirement is what impacts my spending.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1479047262|4097784 said:
Not sure. I sure wished I had bought a gorgeous stone while I was in New York the second I heard Trump had won the election. My thinking was if its all going down the drain and I will likely lose much in the market, I'd rather a piece of that money sitting on my finger. Having a husband close to retirement is what impacts my spending.

You and me both sister. ::)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The huge Obamacare health care increases have caused a lot of people around
here to put on hold all sorts of big ticket item spending.
The insanely high out of pocket charges on top of already unaffordable premiums have a lot of people worried.
Even people insured though work have seen increases in out of pocket from a few hundred dollars to over $10000.00 in some cases.
It has had a much bigger impact than the election in my opinion.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1479048841|4097791 said:
The insanely high out of pocket charges on top of already unaffordable premiums have a lot of people worried.
Even people insured though work have seen increases in out of pocket from a few hundred dollars to over $10000.00 in some cases.

That's very true Karl. Our health care has increased by at least that much especially now that we are getting older. But the uncertainty of the future even more so now is what has scared me and made me think twice and more about disposable income purchases...

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1479048595|4097788 said:

believe me, I was thinking of us both as I typed!!!! I knew you were already asleep as the election results rolled in and I also knew the same thoughts would be rolling around in your head as soon as you found out Trump was our president. I could hear you screaming "GRACE!!!!!" In my head!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1479049559|4097800 said:
missy|1479048595|4097788 said:

believe me, I was thinking of us both as I typed!!!! I knew you were already asleep as the election results rolled in and I also knew the same thoughts would be rolling around in your head as soon as you found out Trump was our president. I could hear you screaming "GRACE!!!!!" In my head!

Hahaha true that girlfriend. We sure do think alike. I figure if we are going down in flames :angryfire: we might as well be blinging it up as we go.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can still find that 5 carat cushion for you...I have his card somewhere. :naughty:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what happens to the economy. Right now we are battening down the hatches and planning on no big expenditures for at least six months. We expect to see rising healthcare costs if the ACA is defunded through the budget reconciliation process, rising everything costs if Trump moves on trade, and even though we're a long way from retirement we're concerned about the talk of privatizing medicare and social security. Economists mostly seem to be in agreement that most things Trump will do will have negative economic affects, and one need only look to states like Kansas and Oklahoma to see the economic effects of standard Republican policies.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1479089557|4098002 said:
It depends on what happens to the economy. Right now we are battening down the hatches and planning on no big expenditures for at least six months. We expect to see rising healthcare costs if the ACA is defunded through the budget reconciliation process, rising everything costs if Trump moves on trade, and even though we're a long way from retirement we're concerned about the talk of privatizing medicare and social security. Economists mostly seem to be in agreement that most things Trump will do will have negative economic affects, and one need only look to states like Kansas and Oklahoma to see the economic effects of standard Republican policies.
Really???, FYI...Obama will be the only post war Prez. who will not see a 3% economic growth during his presidency... :wall:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1479100982|4098071 said:
Really???, FYI...Obama will be the only post war Prez. who will not see a 3% economic growth during his presidency... :wall:

And the only postwar president to inherit a global recession from republican policies. You cannot just say he didn't create 3% growth without looking at why.. Reagan created 'service' jobs, not high paying jobs, and it was the dawn of the computer age, although Reagan did create one of the worst deficits ever, I will give him that.. and that huge tax cut my ex and I got back in 81? was 50.00$ (reagan cut taxes on the rich at the expense of the lower income and poor).. which in todays dollars is a little over 100.00$ DF, hardly a stimulus for a young couple.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't had a major purchase in a while and this will probably continue.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Karl_K|1479048841|4097791 said:

THIS. Our projected healthcare costs this coming year will exceed our mortgage payments. We simply cannot afford what is, in essence, a ridiculously expensive catastrophic plan. This would be my fifth plan, as all my others have been cancelled. We have tough decisions to make, but I am leaning towards not having insurance for the first time in my life.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I purposely stayed sober when the election results were announced to prevent any impulsive diamond buying...

While I give myself a false target of retiring in 2 years (to motivate me to save save save!), I realistically have to work another 30+ years, so however the elections hit my 401k, I have time to hopefully let it recover, so if diamond prices remain stable or fall, I will definitely snag up a pair for studs.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
If anything we keep a tight hold on purchases under Obama.

Saw no growth in our CDs at all, the interest of which was used for major purchases.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1479129096|4098150 said:
Dancing Fire|1479100982|4098071 said:

And the only postwar president to inherit a global recession from republican policies. You cannot just say he didn't create 3% growth without looking at why.. Reagan created 'service' jobs, not high paying jobs, and it was the dawn of the computer age, although Reagan did create one of the worst deficits ever, I will give him that.. and that huge tax cut my ex and I got back in 81? was 50.00$ (reagan cut taxes on the rich at the expense of the lower income and poor).. which in todays dollars is a little over 100.00$ DF, hardly a stimulus for a young couple.
then Obama came along and broke the record of all the Prez. in history combined. .. :wall:

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It will affect us, but not in a way that most people are expecting. The Pentagon decided to change the way they pay their physicians, but Congress has yet to send the funds, essentially. With the upheaval in Congress right now, I doubt it will come any time soon. They owe us 5 figures, and have for a while now. *Maybe* we will have it by Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

In addition, privatizing military medicine is a pet project of the GOP, so I think he'll be kicked out in a couple of years. Overall this is good for us since he is in one of the highest paid specialties, but we are going to need more savings than usual to tide us over while he looks for a new position.

So, basically, no shopping for us.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The next year looks good for us. Gas is very low. Hubs has a new job with medical benefits at an all time low for us. It is a good time to travel, shop or save to retire soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results