shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Been binging on The Returned this week. Wondering if there's a 2nd season? Also, DH and I just started The 4400. We like it so far.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few recent watches to add.

The Lobster - What a bizarre movie. Set in a world where if you don't pair up you are turned into an animal (of your choosing). Great acting. I had to google the ending (lol). If anyone has seen/heard of the movie Dogtooth it is by the same person. Pretty interesting.

13th - About the American 13th amendment and how it unproportionally targets black people. Watched this prior to the election. Pretty interesting.

Want to watch:
The Ivory Game

And I just saw on TV that Scandal is returning Jan 19, so I'm hoping it will be on Netflix then too!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently finished watching "The Glitch" - I'm so excited for upcoming seasons!
It starts off with people long dead coming back to life and crawling out of the ground. We don't know why or how they are back. It's really good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1478800416|4096426 said:
I recently finished watching "The Glitch" - I'm so excited for upcoming seasons!
It starts off with people long dead coming back to life and crawling out of the ground. We don't know why or how they are back. It's really good.

We loved this series. I cannot wait for it to return! I think it will be returning because if I remember correctly I didn't start watching it till I made sure there was a second season...hope I got that right. Really good series!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Added a few to my list based on your recommendations. Thanks! :wavey:

Some series / movies / docs I watched and enjoyed:

30 for 30 (series) - most of them are really good, even if you're not into sports.

Ali Wong: Baby Cobra (stand up comedian)

The First Monday in May (documentary)

Amanda Knox (documentary)

Audrey and Daisy (documentary)

Trophy Kids (documentary)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1478873574|4096921 said:
Whatd you think?
I too watched this actually. I didn't really like it. It didn't seem very balanced, but it was interesting to hear from her & Raffaele.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The new season of "Wentworth" was AMAZING. I still can't believe it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1478978943|4097520 said:
Whatd you think?
I too watched this actually. I didn't really like it. It didn't seem very balanced, but it was interesting to hear from her & Raffaele.

I found the Amanda Knox documentary boring and after 45 minutes or so I couldn't take it anymore but Greg watched the whole thing and thought it was interesting.

Thanks for the additional recs. Will check them out.

We are still watching Friday Night Lights. Almost through Season 3 and I am sad there are only 2 seasons left before we are finished with this series. We are both really enjoying it.

Also watching The Fall. Excellent series up to season 3 now.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1479042098|4097768 said:
telephone89|1478978943|4097520 said:
Whatd you think?

I found the Amanda Knox documentary boring and after 45 minutes or so I couldn't take it anymore but Greg watched the whole thing and thought it was interesting.

Thanks for the additional recs. Will check them out.

We are still watching Friday Night Lights. Almost through Season 3 and I am sad there are only 2 seasons left before we are finished with this series. We are both really enjoying it.

Also watching The Fall. Excellent series up to season 3 now.

Hi telephone :wavey: hi missy :wavey:

telephone - tell me what you mean by well balanced - what would you have liked to see more of?

I didn't judge it too harshly because I looked to it to be entertainment more than anything, so I liked it.

I liked hearing from Amanda herself (although she seemed scripted at times) and from her then boyfriend.

I do think Amanda came off as sort of...creepy.

Has anybody seen the Tony Robbins "documentary"? I hated it. Not a documentary at all. More like a huge advertisement.

ETA we loved The Fall. And I have to say, that is one woman who looks better now than she was younger! Gorgeous.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By balanced, I mean, showing both sides. This docu was very 'pro-amanda'. There were some horrible players (that 1 reporter? UGH!) but overall it felt like the directors were trying to grab my hand and pull me in that direction. I prefer docus that are not so heavily biased, which I felt this one was. I followed the case pretty closely back when it happened, so I understand that they left a lot of stuff out. You can't show everything. Might have coloured my perception.

That tony robbins one was so annoying. Like yes, please tell me how to 'help myself' as you sit infront of your giant pool overlooking LA (or wherever). My husband wanted to watch it because his old boss used to go to Tonys classes ALL. THE. TIME. $$$$ I tell ya.

I also saw 'food inc' is on there. I'm adding that to my list to watch.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1479156800|4098392 said:
By balanced, I mean, showing both sides. This docu was very 'pro-amanda'. There were some horrible players (that 1 reporter? UGH!) but overall it felt like the directors were trying to grab my hand and pull me in that direction. I prefer docus that are not so heavily biased, which I felt this one was. I followed the case pretty closely back when it happened, so I understand that they left a lot of stuff out. You can't show everything. Might have coloured my perception.

That tony robbins one was so annoying. Like yes, please tell me how to 'help myself' as you sit infront of your giant pool overlooking LA (or wherever). My husband wanted to watch it because his old boss used to go to Tonys classes ALL. THE. TIME. $$$$ I tell ya.

You know, it's so funny, I didn't feel that way (that it was pro-amanda) while I was watching it but again I watched it to be entertained so as long as it didn't suck it was OK. But I'm sure if I went back to it with a harsher eye I'd find ways it could have been much better, like having experts give opinions on the evidence, etc.

My problem with the TR documentary was not how much he charges or his teachings (if you like him and you got the $ and think he can help you, that's fine) - it just wasn't a documentary. He intimidated the crap out of the reporter and we saw only what he wanted us to see.

ETA I can't watch Food Inc. I think that's the one they say shows animals being treated cruelly or whatever. Can't do it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1479157375|4098405 said:
telephone89|1479156800|4098392 said:

You know, it's so funny, I didn't feel that way (that it was pro-amanda) while I was watching it but again I watched it to be entertained so as long as it didn't suck it was OK. But I'm sure if I went back to it with a harsher eye I'd find ways it could have been much better, like having experts give opinions on the evidence, etc.

My problem with the TR documentary was not how much he charges or his teachings (if you like him and you got the $ and think he can help you, that's fine) - it just wasn't a documentary. He intimidated the crap out of the reporter and we saw only what he wanted us to see.

ETA I can't watch Food Inc. I think that's the one they say shows animals being treated cruelly or whatever. Can't do it.

Yeah this is how I feel too. I just cannot physically watch it because of the inhumane treatment of animals. Even shielding my eyes doesn't help anymore.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta watch the tough shit to know what's really going on. I'm 100% sure it will be *slightly* biased against the factory farming industry haha. See how it goes.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet:

Chef's Table - If you love food, this is a must.

This is a magical show for me. And how I am relaxing...

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this in hopes of new inspiration.

I started Gilmore Girls (the old) so I can watch all of that and then start the new one. I don't really like it so far, but I do love seeing beloved actors so young lol.

I also watched Sour Grapes - not sure if I mentioned it here before. It was like a combo of my 2 favourite things - wine and crime shows LOL. Actually super interesting. It's about counterfeit wine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Started watching The OA on Netflix and we are enjoying it so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4635282/

Also enjoying another series but not on Netflix but on HBO GO.

http://www.hbo.com/westworld

IMO the original Gilmore Girls is much better than the (IMO disappointing) sequel so telephone, if you don't like the original series don't bother with the sequel. IMO of course. My dh and I really loved the Gilmore Girls series and though the sequel was disappointing I am glad they tried anyway.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Glitch
Top of the Lake
Lovesick
Bobs Burgers
American Dad

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I watched the movie The Creep on Netflix a few months back and I loved it. It took me days to completely get it off my mind.

It's a thriller/drama/verging on horror that largely flew under the radar. If you like this sort of thing (I do!) give it a try. Sorry if it's been mentioned already!

Other similarly themed movies that I recently saw and recommend (not sure if all are on Netflix though):

The Gift (w/Jason Bateman)

The Invitation (can't remember for sure if it's "The" in front or just "Invitation" but it's recent, from 2015 or so).

Southbound (unlike the others, it is pure horror)

And I'm sure Black Mirror has been mentioned many times but oh, I loved the recent season so much!!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished binging on The OA. I loved it. I was surprised to read afterward that it was one of those love it/hate it shows. I won't say more though. I hope it comes back, but I don't know if it was intended to go more than one season/series.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1482273014|4108652 said:
Just finished binging on The OA. I loved it. I was surprised to read afterward that it was one of those love it/hate it shows. I won't say more though. I hope it comes back, but I don't know if it was intended to go more than one season/series.
Eeee watching episode 3 now and I'm sucked in!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra said:

Lyra, we finished this series the other night and loved it and there may be a sequel. I read an article about this and the producer/star said if the public loves it and it is well received they would love to do a sequel and they are leaving that possibility open. So fingers crossed. I thought it was very enjoyable and so did my dh.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the OA as I was scrolling last night, but H didn't want to start a new series until we're off.

If you like Americas Test Kitchen and/or food history, I watched Fannies Last Supper, and it was super interesting. Short, about an hour, but they recreated 12 dishes from Fannie farmers cook book with the ATK spin on it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1482261041|4108585 said:
I watched the movie The Creep on Netflix a few months back and I loved it. It took me days to completely get it off my mind.

It's a thriller/drama/verging on horror that largely flew under the radar. If you like this sort of thing (I do!) give it a try. Sorry if it's been mentioned already!

Other similarly themed movies that I recently saw and recommend (not sure if all are on Netflix though):

The Invitation (can't remember for sure if it's "The" in front or just "Invitation" but it's recent, from 2015 or so).

And I'm sure Black Mirror has been mentioned many times but oh, I loved the recent season so much!!

katharath because of your recommendation I watched The Creep last night on Netflix and absolutely loved it. I loved the main character too, I've seen him in another movie or two, he plays such a great nerdy scary creep. LOVED this movie.

I liked The Gift too, and The Invitation.

Now I *have* to watch Southbound! I'll have to see if it's on Netflix.

Black Mirror I think I saw just one episode but I didn't keep going with it. Is it one of those that you need to watch a few to get engrossed?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly Southbound is not on Netflix. I checked last night. :((

We finally finished Friday Night Lights this week and I am so sad to be finished with this excellent series. A quality series and just so entertaining and well written and acted and I am sorry we are done with it. I hope they will bring back a sequel and if they do I hope it is better than the Gilmore Girls sequel. I LOVED Friday Night Lights and if you have not yet watched it I am jealous because you get to experience it for the first time. Watch it. It's that good. IMO.

We saw Creep when it first came out and it was amazing. Definitely a movie that stays with you for a long time.
We also enjoyed (if you can say that about this kind of movie lol) The Invitation.
Haven't yet checked out the most recent Black Mirror series but will at some point hopefully. We enjoyed some of the past Black Mirror episodes though they are not all of equal quality IMO.

We watched a documentary last night titled The Witness. It really changed how I felt about this tragedy. Worth watching IMO especially if you know what you think was the story.

PLEASE READ NO FURTHER IF YOU PLAN ON WATCHING BECAUSE THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

IDK if anyone is old enough to remember or remember reading about the Kitty Genovese murder in 1964 but wow. I had a hard time believing NYers did nothing while this young woman was screaming for her life while she was being murdered in plain sight.

This poor woman was still murdered but at least all her neighbors did not stand by in apathy and just let it happen. It is amazing how the press twisted everything and how long this misinformation was allowed to go on for and how many were affected by this lie. Courses were taught, movies and tv shows were created and so on and so forth based on (mainly all) lies.

Well one of Kitty's brothers decided decades later to finally investigate these claims and it was eye opening and sort of redeemed my faith in (some of) humanity. I recommend watching though it is a bit longer than it needs to be IMO.

And just wow on the murderer and his reverend brother. Really? Wow. I am very interested if anyone watches what they thought of the brother of the murderer. Can we talk about rationalizations and excuses and not taking accountability. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Hence only having restored my faith in some of humanity. Some people will never be worth saving IMO. Sorry but that is exactly how I feel when watching this murderer (and what his brother had to say). :cry: :cry: :cry:

http://www.thewitness-film.com

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per recs from here...

Watched:
the OA - kind of a mind f*ck. I have no idea wtf was going on at the end lol.
The Invitation - SO GOOD. Really enjoyed this one.

Started:
The Glitch - only a few eps in. Looks good though.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to Sour Grapes documentary

Black Mirror - each episode stands alone so try another if the first one doesn't grab you. They're like mini movies with the unifying theme of making you think about technology in our world and our future. I recommend "Nosedive" which is season 3 episode 1 I think.

I've been watching Jane the Virgin as my light and silly option.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hardly "hidden" but a gem nonetheless: we're loving "The Crown."

katharath

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1482711267|4109585 said:
katharath|1482261041|4108585 said:

katharath because of your recommendation I watched The Creep last night on Netflix and absolutely loved it. I loved the main character too, I've seen him in another movie or two, he plays such a great nerdy scary creep. LOVED this movie.

I liked The Gift too, and The Invitation.

Now I *have* to watch Southbound! I'll have to see if it's on Netflix.

Black Mirror I think I saw just one episode but I didn't keep going with it. Is it one of those that you need to watch a few to get engrossed?

Hey CJ :wavey:

Just saw your post. I'm so glad you liked Creep. Sounds like we have pretty similar taste!! Southbound is definitely more plain horror than the other movies; but I watched all four of those movies in a similar time frame and I liked it too - that's why I included it.

Have you seen Triangle with Melissa George? I love that movie, you should look into it if you haven't seen it.

As for Black Mirror, you can watch any episode in any order that you feel like. They're all stand alone episodes. They're often compared to The Twilight Zone, sort of a modernized effort but each episode focuses on technology and the dark aspects of it. I *really* love the show. You should give it a try!! :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Missy and telephone - nice to see Creep getting some attention!! I just think it's cool that several of us liked it :)

I just started watching The OA (well, I'm about 4 epis in). Really into it at this point...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1483218710|4111168 said:
Missy and telephone - nice to see Creep getting some attention!! I just think it's cool that several of us liked it :)

I just started watching The OA (well, I'm about 4 epis in). Really into it at this point...

Oh, Katharath, because you recommended it, I immediately went to watch Creep. Afraid to say I couldn't do it! ;( I detest people like that in life, and would have been out the door at the first sign of weird/malicious/redundantly torturous behavior. I tried, I really tried - and I really like that character actor!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results