shape
carat
color
clarity

The I VOTED!!! Thread

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted in the mail, about a week or so ago. Same with DH.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1478251115|4093579 said:
I voted by absentee ballot a few weeks ago in Virginia. I helped my housebound father to vote by absentee ballot here in Connecticut a couple of weeks ago. Until this year he always managed to go to a polling place himself. I also helped our live-in African-American CNA register to vote in his own town in Connecticut city and get an absentee ballot in time to vote. He had not known if he was registered to vote or not, and together we looked up his name in the city's voting records.I did not ask him if he had ever voted before because I did not want to embarrass him, but I would not be shocked if he had not. He is over 45. In this household, only my 24 year-old daughter has yet to vote, and she will do so on Election Day. Connecticut has no early voting except by absentee ballot for cause (which my father meets by being housebound and our aide meets by being away from home on work).

I was a little shocked by some of the questions our aide asked me, but was very careful to answer them in a tactful way. He is a very intelligent man who knows a great deal about health and medicine, and I depend upon to make difficult decisions about my father's care. That he has gaps in his political knowledge is not his fault. But it pointed out to me that many people "out there " are probably similarly handicapped. He asked me, for instance, if each state had a president (to which I answered that each state had a governor). And he asked if the United States had sovereignty (he didn't use that word) over other countries like Russia (to which I answered no). This was a bit worrisome to me as a former history teacher, because our aide is a high school graduate and very bright. Something is wrong in our schools.

Deb/AGBF

Just read that to my husband. A big, frustrated, "NO!" came out of him.

Deb. Really? Just because you teach it, they absorb it and remember it? As a teacher you can fully mitigate if mom and dad are not educated, or engaged, or readers?

The public schools have many problems - most of them coming from the outside IN, but not teaching the basics of history is not one of them. I have said this many times on here: the schools are merely a microcosm of what is going on in the culture. And being utterly incurious and unwilling to put out any effort to inform oneself, are a couple of those things that have been going on for a while. Your guy is neither as deeply thoughtful or as well-read as someone that I would call "very bright". A little more analysis on his part - and here we get to the willful ignorance portion of the festivities - should have prevented him from asking what were really...gotta say it, stupid, questions. Yes, that level of political ignorance IS his own fault. Period. I'm sure he's a wonderful person and good at his narrow focus, but dang.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absentee voted a couple weeks ago!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1478242693|4093566 said:
I sent my mail in ballot in. I don't know why I haven't done mail in before. So much easier. Especially since there were a TON of propositions this year and they were TRICKY and MISLEADING.

There were TWO death penalty propositions. And one bad, and the other worse.

Two grocery bag propositions. One that was TOTALLY misleading.

Every time I read these damned things I want to volunteer to write these things. So many of them are just BADLY written/thought out.

I hear you!

For the benefit of those who don't live in California, there were something like SIXTEEN propositions on this year's ballot... some of them contradicting each other. The official voter's "pamphlet" was the size of a medium-length novel - the Sacramento Bee estimated that it fell somewhere between "Grapes of Wrath" and "Crime and Punishment" in length. Fortunately for me, there were only three local measures on top of that in area.

Someone who attends my church works for the one of the legislative analysts offices and usually offers an independent overview of the statewide propositions prior to each election, including background on how/why some of the measures are on the ballot that isn't generally publicized, and HANDOUTS. This year his proposition overview was so popular that he offered it three times! I had never attended one of his sessions before but I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of them in the future. If nothing else, it helped me figure out how I wanted to vote on the "easy" ones and freed that mental energy for the ballot measures I was somewhat conflicted about. (Lest anyone is concerned, he's very careful not to discuss his preference on the measures.) I also found a guide to the propositions prepared by the California League of Women Voters at my local library that also provided a nice plain English synopsis of each statewide ballot measure.

It's generous of you to offer your services, but let's face it - some of those measures are meant to be tricky and misleading! :angryfire:

As an aside, I wonder how most voters faced with these propositions are making up their minds? The state's major newspapers usually do a good job of providing the opposing viewpoints on each measure, and of course their own editorial board's recommendations, it seems that so few people are reading newspapers anymore, and the paid advertisements seem to consist mostly of fear mongering.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1478276467|4093684 said:
I sent my mail in ballot in. I don't know why I haven't done mail in before. So much easier. Especially since there were a TON of propositions this year and they were TRICKY and MISLEADING.

Every time I read these damned things I want to volunteer to write these things. So many of them are just BADLY written/thought out.

I hear you!

For the benefit of those who don't live in California, there were something like SIXTEEN propositions on this year's ballot... some of them contradicting each other. The official voter's "pamphlet" was the size of a medium-length novel - the Sacramento Bee estimated that it fell somewhere between "Grapes of Wrath" and "Crime and Punishment" in length. Fortunately for me, there were only three local measures on top of that in area.

Someone who attends my church works for the one of the legislative analysts offices and usually offers an independent overview of the statewide propositions prior to each election, including background on how/why some of the measures are on the ballot that isn't generally publicized, and HANDOUTS. This year his proposition overview was so popular that he offered it three times! I had never attended one of his sessions before but I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of them in the future. If nothing else, it helped me figure out how I wanted to vote on the "easy" ones and freed that mental energy for the ballot measures I was somewhat conflicted about. (Lest anyone is concerned, he's very careful not to discuss his preference on the measures.) I also found a guide to the propositions prepared by the California League of Women Voters at my local library that also provided a nice plain English synopsis of each statewide ballot measure.

It's generous of you to offer your services, but let's face it - some of those measures are meant to be tricky and misleading! :angryfire:

As an aside, I wonder how most voters faced with these propositions are making up their minds? The state's major newspapers usually do a good job of providing the opposing viewpoints on each measure, and of course their own editorial board's recommendations, it seems that so few people are reading newspapers anymore, and the paid advertisements seem to consist mostly of fear mongering.

I live in CA, and just mailed in my ballot yesterday. The propositions were horribly worded, and some were misleading (at best). I eventually found the "KBPS voter guide" that breaks down both sides of the argument for the given propositions, as well as showing who/what groups have funded them. Unfortunately I had already voted for a few of them without reading that guide, and am particularly regretful about one that I voted for without realizing how misleading the wording was. But without that guide I would have been 100% lost.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, this would be the first year I've tried for early voting. No cigar. I tried yesterday, and the line was to Alaska, with the same today. I had to pass because standing that long in a line that snakes out of the building, around the building, and into the trees, is really not in the cards for me. I'm not sure what the point of the early bit really is, if you still have to wait in a long long line. Of course that could simply be my state's attempt to make it harder, not easier, to vote early. At least in person. There are only 3 days of early in person voting for this election, and only 2 places to vote early in person, for my entire county. Mail in has been a bit longer, but I do like actually being there, for some odd reason.

I will settle for doing the deed on the day. My polling station is less than half a mile from me, and the lines won't be that long from past experience. I just thought it would be nice to try it early, but apparently not.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1478287535|4093770 said:
Well, this would be the first year I've tried for early voting. No cigar. I tried yesterday, and the line was to Alaska, with the same today. I had to pass because standing that long in a line that snakes out of the building, around the building, and into the trees...

The county I live in covers almost 1,000 square miles, and there's ONLY ONE early voting location. :angryfire: I didn't have to contend with long lines, but I'm angry because it would be very difficult for many people to get to that office if they're facing either time or transportation issues.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always early vote but not this year! I'm still waiting for a last minute surprise!

Dakota

Rough_Rock
I think I will wait until the big day. That way, I'll be sure about what I want and I won't have any buyers remorse.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dakota|1478295029|4093828 said:
I think I will wait until the big day. That way, I'll be sure about what I want and I won't have any buyers remorse.

You are lucky if you have never been disappointed by a President for whom you voted! (And I mean on Election Day.)

Deb :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1478285059|4093750 said:
VRBeauty|1478276467|4093684 said:

I hear you!

I live in CA, and just mailed in my ballot yesterday. The propositions were horribly worded, and some were misleading (at best). I eventually found the "KBPS voter guide" that breaks down both sides of the argument for the given propositions, as well as showing who/what groups have funded them. Unfortunately I had already voted for a few of them without reading that guide, and am particularly regretful about one that I voted for without realizing how misleading the wording was. But without that guide I would have been 100% lost.

LD, I went to 6 different websites for a couple of them. It was RIDICULOUS.

And just like you VR, I got the 'easy' ones out of the way first. But there were some SERIOUS doozies on there.

We had three local propositions. One of which was OMG ... I read it. Then re-read it. And then re-read it AGAIN, sure I must be wrong about what it said, but nope.... How do these things get enough signatures to get on the ballot?

I was most frustrated by the local elections. No information on the candidates ANYWHERE. I spent two days looking. One of them just said "I was inspired by Bernie Sanders to get involved."

REALLY??? I VOTED for Bernie. But seriously dude... I need more than that. For all I know you hated him and was" inspired to get involved" to off set all his hippy dippy nonsense.

And then people wonder why more people don't vote.

siv1

Shiny_Rock
I voted almost 3 weeks ago. Still had to wait in line over 30 mins. My brother in TX voted last week and had to wait over 2 hours.

Someone mentioned how they only had 1 early voting place open in their area. We also only have 1 early voting place per county open. I had to drive 25 mi each way to vote. Just saying'.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I voted the second day of early voting here which was the Tuesday before last Tuesday. It would help if I had a calendar handy.

I just don't have time on Election Day to stand in a long line. I only had one person in front of me when I voted and that's how I like it.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted a while ago by mail.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happily voted last week, in my dark blue state!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the first time in my life. :dance: In and out under 30 minutes.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waited until today, voted early. The line was still quite long and winding, but they started calling out sections (based on the first letter of your last name) that had short/no lines and people in those sections could move ahead. We got our ballots in about 15 mins. And yet... people were still muttering and complaining about the waiting and lack of a system! :roll:

It's going to be a long day...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Election Day kids!!!

I have been up every few hours in the night checking the news -- yes, today I am That Person! This election I am very personally invested, much more so than any previous one (as I'm sure my comments have shown lately). Funny story though: In 2010 I was in Ecuador (having early voted before I left on the trip) and I was desperately watching TV trying to find out who my next President was to be. There was not a single English speaking channel to be found on my hotel room TV so I resorted to trying to figure out what was going on based on visuals alone. When McCain gave his speech I couldn't tell whether he was conceding or declaring victory he is so outwardly emotionless, LOL. I had already decided if the McCain/Palin ticket was the winner I was staying in South America and getting a job and just waiting out that administration! (I have nothing against McCain BTW, but the idea of Palin being one heartbeat away from the Presidency was just too much for me to bear.) And if today Trump wins I will spend the night updating my resume and sending it to every recruiter at Royal Bank of Canada and Bank of Montreal I can find first thing tomorrow morning.

Here we go!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was able to get some time to vote a few minutes ago . Like many here I saw some very misleading questions. I voted no on 1 for Solar. its misleading, it puts solar in the hands of the electric companies. I voted yes on 2(medial marijuana dispensaries) its a step in the right direction. FWIW, I don't smoke, it dosen't agree with me, but don't have issues with those who do.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I voted at 10am this morning because I had to get my mani. Priorities people! And I admit I got teary.

As a woman of 64 I can recall how it was for women in the workplace before recent laws. I was grabbed, felt up "brushed up", denied advancement because "you are a woman and will get pregnant and then we will have to replace you and retrain someone else." I've been asked what kind of birth control I was on. And if we women weren''t happy and actually complained about someone's behavior we were asked if we were "on the rag?" Byron couldn't have said it more graciously.

As a man was leaving the polling place and called out Vote Republican! and I answered Not even if the alternative is being dipped in sh*t. Some people actually applauded when they heard me.

Now the waiting begins.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
There is really no good news for me this election cycle, just bad news and worse news. However, this is my country, and I am not going anywhere!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1478628548|4095265 said:
However, this is my country, and I am not going anywhere!

Most definitely! :appl:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted this morning. PA doesn't have the option of early voting, wish it did!!!

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We voted a couple of weeks ago absentee. I feel lucky that I was able to vote this year. I vote in a Republican state as a Democrat. One year I sent my registration in and asked for an absentee ballot, and 2 days before the election I got a form letter back stating that they didn't "get to" my registration on time for this year (even though it was sent before the deadline) but they registered me for the next presidential election. :roll:

Our ballot was only 3 pages long total. :lol:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done. No line and no harassers.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1478629641|4095274 said:
I voted this morning. PA doesn't have the option of early voting, wish it did!!!

I'm a traditionalist at heart, and I admit that I'm kind of sad that my state is moving towards mail-in ballots. That said, I'm somewhat puzzled and irked that some states still restrict early voting. I can't decide when I have enough information to cast my ballot??? Talk about your nanny state!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
just got back, in and out in under 10 min.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I voted last week. Took three attempts. The lines were 2+ hours the first two times I tried. The third time, my DH agreed to get the kids off to school and I got in line at 7:00am (polls opened at 8:00). Even an hour early, I was 42nd in line! Aarrgghh. Took 90 minutes, but I did it. I remember 12 years ago, I waited about 4 hours, so this wasn't that bad....civic duty done. Check.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I voted this morning. Only had to wait about 30 minutes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results