shape
carat
color
clarity

Any "premium" or "branded" cut regrets?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So there are threads about regretting size, color, setting, etc.; but I don't think I've ever seen one about wishing the $$ for a premium cut (Select, ACA, AVC, etc) had been put towards a larger diamond or better color/clarity. For those that have bought a premium/branded cut, do you still appreciate others or do you see enough of a difference that you are a total convert and only buy premium/branded now? Does it matter how it is set, i.e. you really notice looking straight on like a ring, but not so much ratings/necklaces?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm... i had to think about this. I think that if you start with a smaller stone(s) the premium/branded vendors like BGD and WF have better/easier upgrade programs. BUT, there comes a point where you hit a wall because the next upgrade is a big jump in price, like I did with my bgblue. Then, if you sell it to a vendor, they offer you trade pricing which doesn't necessarily reflect the uptick in price from the branding.

Now, when it came to my larger stones - Miami and Pollo - not going branded was perfectly fine with me because I have no intention of going bigger :naughty: like seriously, I should just shut up now so that I don't end up eating my words with regard to upgrading LOLOL! Not going branded was ok because I kept the parameters tight for the search so that I would get a performer without the branded premium.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anything I regret I didn't hold onto any of my super ideal diamonds that I had at the time. But each time I sold/traded them back, there was a good reason for doing so. Back to no super ideal diamonds (except a 14 point one in a necklace) I don't forsee expensive jewelry in my future. I would love to have a super ideal cut diamond again, at some point. But my child going to her specialized school (and regular life!) takes precedence. Maybe when I retire!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only regret is that every diamond I own isn't an ACA.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We gots two Octavia asschers, an ACA round, and a Solasfera round.

There is absolutely nothing but diamond-happiness in this house.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I started with Whiteflash for studs and have had no regrets with pairs of ACAs which I have upgraded a few times! I love having ideal light performance stones on my ears and in my DBTY pieces from them!

I started my first ring upgrade with a H&A stone, and after a brief time with an ex cut following the H&A, I realized that I enjoyed having top cut diamonds. But I went on to get an AVR from Good Old Gold, and that has a greater price premium than H&A. However, the only regret I have is buying when prices were higher than they are now! Other than some periodic panic over the stone being too large or having to adjust to I color (to which I have now adjusted), I feel very fortunate to have it!

I did buy an antique diamond earlier this year that is not set yet, and I can see the possibility of doing that again. However, my main diamond e-ring and studs likely will remain as they are now as I have no thought of changing them.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My simple answer--nope!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results