Premium
:dance: IT'S RAINING IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!!! :dance:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1476583070|4087565 said:
:dance: IT'S RAINING IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!!! :dance:

WooHooo!!!!!

I hope it rains a lot this winter for you guys. So very needed!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a flu shot earlier today and I have never had my arm ache so much after a flu shot as it does right now. My husband had the same thing with the flu shot this year. We get them every year but gosh this one is worse than usual.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am writing my personal statement for the bachelor's application. The max allowed is 1200 words. Is it too short if I stop at 729? I want it to be sincere and all that and am afraid if I try to stretch it out it will come across as forced.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1476779641|4088165 said:
I got a flu shot earlier today and I have never had my arm ache so much after a flu shot as it does right now. My husband had the same thing with the flu shot this year. We get them every year but gosh this one is worse than usual.

I had this happen this year too. Mine was due to the placement of the injection (very high up on the arm). Did it seem like you got the shot in roughly the same place on your arm that you always do?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm tired of doing the heavy lifting for the HOA. Property Manager doesn't do her job. No one wants to bother looking for another management company. I'm the only volunteer working full time. The other members are retired and don't respond to e-mails or do anything, period. I don't appreciate putting more time and getting no pay from being a volunteer. But if I quit, nothing will happen, and my house will also suffer. Fukitol.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh PB that stinks.

I don't come in here too much but I don't want to start a thread on this.

My dad (70) has been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia a week ago. He has had intense pain in the left side of his face for months and thought it was from the radiation he had for skin cancer. About 12 years ago he had surgery where they dissected his whole left side of his face to remove the cancer that was all over under the skin in his neck, cheek, ear area. Lymph nodes were removed and half of his ear. He has been ok until about 6 months ago.

I do not know much about this disease other than my mom said an operation to place a buffer between the nerve and the veins requires a hole be drilled in the skull and costs near 100K. It is called the suicide disease because the pain is so intense that people cannot deal with it any longer. The pain comes from the veins being so near or wrapping around the trigeminal nerve.

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN, or TGN), also known as prosopalgia, suicide disease, or Fothergill's disease is a neuropathic disorder characterized by episodes of intense pain in the face, originating from the trigeminal nerve. The clinical association between TN and hemifacial spasm is the so called tic douloureux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness Redwood - that sounds terrible. I'm so sorry your father is going through this - and I'm sure you and your Mom and the rest of your family are suffering along with your father, even if to a lesser degree. I know pain management can be an elusive thing, but I hope your father and his doctors find a treatment regime that helps mitigate the pain.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1477521822|4090925 said:
Oh my goodness Redwood - that sounds terrible. I'm so sorry your father is going through this - and I'm sure you and your Mom and the rest of your family are suffering along with your father, even if to a lesser degree. I know pain management can be an elusive thing, but I hope your father and his doctors find a treatment regime that helps mitigate the pain.

Thank you VR. His doctor has prescribed medication normally given for seizures and he had prescribed meds for depression. But the depression meds made my dad so "foggy" that he quit taking them because he did not like how they made him feel.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1477453069|4090601 said:
I am writing my personal statement for the bachelor's application. The max allowed is 1200 words. Is it too short if I stop at 729? I want it to be sincere and all that and am afraid if I try to stretch it out it will come across as forced.

Not at all. One of the hallmarks of poor writing is excess. "Forced," as you note, is also terrible. Concise and direct always wins fans. You will enjoy the gratitude of the adjudicators for not submitting a bloated personal statement.

(If you want to improve your writing, get "The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White and try to get an old one, from the 1960s or 1970s. Edits and revisions after those printings are not very good, you want the original version.)

Best of luck in your academic endeavors! :appl: :wavey: :read:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My poor kitten mowed her arm on Sunday, so we've been coning her at night and rubbing fractionated coconut oil on it, and it's improved leaps and bounds every day - I've been taking daily photos to sanity check myself (make sure I'm not seeing what I want to see) - if it got worse, she'd be rushed off to the vet. Well, the nightly coning and the weather change has clearly stressed her out because her virus(es) (which she usually suppresses, but acts up once in a blue moon for a week then goes away), are acting up again and she's getting some head congestion. This in turn is resulting in a stinky butt that is perpetually pointed at me because she loves to be with mama. Before, she was on my left, perpendicular to me, with her butt closest to me. Now she's in front of me on the ottoman that my feet are resting on, with her butt pointed at me. I don't want to stress her out more by washing her butt. I'm hoping I will eventually stop smelling her butt... and everyone thinks working from home is so great... BAHAHAHAAHA!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah geez, the daughter of an acquaintance of mine and her boyfriend were found murdered in their apartment. What agony it must be to not only lose a child but to see them referred to as "bodies" on the news. No motive and no suspects at this point in time. Such devastation and heartbreak. I cannot imagine how one copes with such a loss.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is horrible! I cannot imagine either the pain they must be enduring. And to see it on the news. I am sorry for your friends.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Application submitted!!!

I worked with the tutors in the school writing lab to write (I hope!) a good personal statement and a diversity statement.

Now I just have to wait.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Redwood -- I'm sorry your dad is going through that. It sounds awful! I hope his doctors are able to find a combination of medications and treatments that let him be as comfortable as possible. I know what he means about "foggy". Maybe they can find a different one for him to try?

Pinto -- Poor kitty! How is she doing?

AZ -- Thank you! That is what I was thinking too. I ended up going to the writing lab at school for feedback also. Made my revisions and back again to work with another tutor on polishing it all up.

Matata -- that is too horrible to imagine. I know that losing a child is the most painful thing ever (my grandparents lost 2 adult sons so this has been a topic I have heard discussed too much...) and I can only imagine a violent death would be even more so. I hope they are able to find who did this.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for asking after my kitty, TP!
I am glad that she has her youth and good nutrition on her side to help her kick the virus in a week. All of a sudden, I realized that she had been sleeping silently for a few days - like it just dawned on me mid week that there was no more surround sound snoring from BOTH DH and kitty lolol...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very very tired. I am tired of people wreaking havoc in my community by purposely leaking half truths from board meetings to shit stirring gossipy neighbors.

I am tired of my parents and my in-laws treating my husband like a "poor baby", and my parents blaming me for his issues, and my mother-in-law telling me to "compromise" with him.

I am very sad that I can't go to my parents house if I need a break.

I feel very lonely because I have few true friends and they are not physically located close.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean said:
I am very very tired. I am tired of people wreaking havoc in my community by purposely leaking half truths from board meetings to shit stirring gossipy neighbors.

I am tired of my parents and my in-laws treating my husband like a "poor baby", and my parents blaming me for his issues, and my mother-in-law telling me to "compromise" with him.

I feel very lonely because I have few true friends and they are not physically located close.

I'm sorry challenges are coming at you from all directions, PintoBean. I hope things start to look up very soon. {hugs}

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TP thank you. We are going down to visit for a few days and I hope he feels up to it.

PB I am sorry that you are having all that crap to deal with.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I am so sorry to hear about your poor dad. Nothing is harder than dealing with a sick family member. Hopefully you will have good news to report about your dad soon. I feel terrible for being so wrapped in all the election BS that I missed your post. Hugs, Callie

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1479160101|4098446 said:

Pinto Bean, We are always here to vent to. I hope things get better soon.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1479181833|4098649 said:

Pinto I'm really sorry to hear this. We are here if you need us!!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I accidentally squashed myself today. Best description is I had an unintentional DIY mammogram... Using a steel delivery cart (picture something like a handtruck) with sharp edge and a 50 pound box.

Now that I am home and made sure all is well, it is sort of funny. Still painful, but funny!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto, I am sorry you are going through this. You can always vent here! (you can email me any time too)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1479181967|4098651 said:
Calliecake|1479181833|4098649 said:

Pinto I'm really sorry to hear this. We are here if you need us!!!

PINTO! I am here for you sweetheart please don't hesitate to reach out/email me/facebook me whatever. Sending you good thoughts and big (((HUGS))).

TooPatient, I am glad you are OK!

Redwood, big (((HUGS))) to you too. I am so sorry about your dad! Hope your dad is doing as well as possible and thinking good thoughts for all of you!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies - thank you!

In a nutshell:
The last doctor's visit we had, DH got anxious again and started drinking vodka again to "self-medicate". So, of course, his blood work showed high liver enzymes (again). But in addition to that, extra tests were ordered because it appears he's anemic now - probably from the body absorbing the vodka calories in lieu of FOOD calories! The GP now said, ok, we'll raise your anxiety meds by 5 mg, but you should consider AA, rehab, or at least therapy. This in turn made him more anxious, and he proceeds to drink more.

I talk to my parents - my mom blames me for not cooking for him and eating with him <-- wtf? My dad shrugs it off and says doctors can be alarmists (umm... this is the 2nd doctor that's pointed out high liver enzymes after 2 years of blood work!), and says what's the big deal about having vodka? WTF?!?!

Oh yes - the biggy... if he drinks beer or wine, he offers me some. When he hits the vodka, he does it SECRETLY! that's the problem!!

Additionally, his paternal grandparents were alcoholics and died from alcohol related health issues. His paternal aunt "partied" too much in her single days and had to go to rehab. His paternal side cousin has been battling alcoholism lately. It's clearly hereditary, and here he is self-medicating with a substance that he was destined to be physically addicted to if he abused it.

The therapist the GP referred us to is not close by and only has day time appointments. Right now, DH is calling 5 psychologists and psychiatrists a day off the provider list and leaving messages. He's gotten one call back from someone who has bad reviews - awesome. It kills me though that I have to remind him to call 5 daily. Day 1 was Saturday. Day 2 was Monday. 10 so far I guess. If it was me, I would just call down the line for an hour a day straight. That's me.

I just feel a fool because I didn't correlate the mood swings with the vodka sooner. I would smell alcohol on him, (I don't drink much anymore, so my nose is more acute now when HE drinks), and he'd say oh I had some wine and I believed him...I assumed his high liver enzymes and fatty liver was like that of his co-workers - a vitamin D deficiency where they all were put on extra vitamin D, so I told him to start taking more D.

This is all I can get muster up to share right now.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Oh, pinto, I'm sorry about your situation. It sounds tricky and I wish you all the best in getting it figured out.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Can November just be over already? It even has the word "no" in it.

This month as a whole will always hurt from now on.

Im finally moving and packing up by myself. My father offered to help but at 82, there's not much he can do.

Then my car breaks down the day I was supposed to start moving ( little by little)
Then my phone breaks.

Then before I know it, November 13 comes around and I spent the whole day crying, drinking, and grieving for my mother.

This year has flown by, I can't believe it's already been a year since we lost her.

On the brighter side:
Bought a new car that my father feels much safer in, and by tomorrow, I should be completely moved in to my new place.
My CCW should get here tomorrow ( Fingers crossed) and I promised my father that I'd take him to the range on Sunday and let him pick out a revolver for the house.

I'm determined to make the best of the remainder of this month - here's hoping that nothing else happens.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Can November just be over already? It even has the word "no" in it.

This month as a whole will always hurt from now on.

Im finally moving and packing up by myself. My father offered to help but at 82, there's not much he can do.

Then my car breaks down the day I was supposed to start moving ( little by little)
Then my phone breaks.

Then before I know it, November 13 comes around and I spent the whole day crying, drinking, and grieving for my mother.

This year has flown by, I can't believe it's already been a year since we lost her.

On the brighter side:
Bought a new car that my father feels much safer in, and by tomorrow, I should be completely moved in to my new place.
My CCW should get here tomorrow ( Fingers crossed) and I promised my father that I'd take him to the range on Sunday and let him pick out a revolver for the house.

I'm determined to make the best of the remainder of this month - here's hoping that nothing else happens.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad took the time to drive up to my grandparents' house tonight for Grandpa's 82 birthday. We were just there Sunday, but I wanted to be there tonight too.

My grandparents have been married 57 1/2 years. Had four kids. Burried two (thanks, alcoholism). 7 grandkids. 4 great-grandkids. She is a cancer survivor. He has been been fighting skin cancer for 30 years. Now she has Parkinson's and he is so good about caring for her.

I was helping with laundry a few months ago and learned that the towels (30 years or more old!) hurt Grandpa's face due to the chunks removed as cancerous. So DH and I bought him a whole new set of towels (washcloths, etc).

He took bow off the package and put it around Grandma -- "The best present ever." (with this look of complete love)

Got into the package to find towels and wrapped them up together -- "Just perfect! Big enough for two."

19941.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results