shape
carat
color
clarity

First timer here...could use some advice

ChrisB703

Rough_Rock
First and foremost, thank you for viewing my new topic. I greatly appreciate everyone's time and expertise.

I have been conducting massive amounts of research as this is going to be my first engagement ring purchase (and hopefully last!). I was looking at a diamond that has a GIA SI2/H/xxx rating and was hoping that the experts of this forum could provide additional insight.

It seems like it has a decent amount of "clouding" and was wondering if I should stay away from this stone. Will it affect the stone performance/sparkle? I do not have the opportunity to look at it before purchasing. What are your overall thoughts? What do you believe I should pay for it (4-5k?)? Any additional comments good or bad?

Here is the link to the GIA report:

http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2121907660

Thank you again for your feedback! I really appreciate any help I can get.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes it will affect performance. Yes you should pass.

ChrisB703

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1477344998|4090168 said:

Hi Gypsy, thanks for the reply! By no means am I looking for a perfect diamond, but in an attempt to better educate myself can you tell me what makes it so bad as to pass? Is it the amount of clouding, the location in the middle, etc? Would it just look dull?

Thanks!!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ChrisB703|1477345326|4090172 said:
Gypsy|1477344998|4090168 said:

Hi Gypsy, thanks for the reply! By no means am I looking for a perfect diamond, but in an attempt to better educate myself can you tell me what makes it so bad as to pass? Is it the amount of clouding, the location in the middle, etc? Would it just look dull?

Thanks!!
I agree with Gypsy that a stone in the Si2 grade with clouds as primary grade setting characteristic, and with mention of additional clouds in comments, will most likely suffer transparency deficits to some extent. It can be a fairly subtle effect to the untrained eye (slightly 'sleepy' when compared against an equivalent diamond without this issue). This will impact the overall performance of the stone, undermining the real life benefit you might otherwise expect from a Triple Ex cut grade.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Side by side with a stone without the cloud issue of the same cut the stone will appear hazy, dirty, or cloudy. It will impair the light performance blocking the light from bouncing around the stone and reflecting correctly.

Below is an image of an actual Si2 from GIA with the exact combination of clarity characteristics of that stone. See?

I would not do twinning wisps or clouds as primary inclusions on ANY STONE under VS1 unless it was sourced and examined by a vendor I trusted in person. So that means I would buy such a stone ONLY from IDJ, WF, GOG, BGD, HPD. None of them are drop shippers. So that means no JA, no ED, no B2C and no BN.

I had a friend I was helping buy a diamond get this one in person: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.01-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1091651 Looks nice right? BIG old video. Seems safe. And it's a Vs2. Next to the other diamond (no clouds or wisps) we had her order it was noticeably hazy. And twinning wisps have a MUCH better chance of being safe inclusions than clouds.

I've seen the same thing happen with Vs2 clouds. GIA (as off as it seems) doesn't grade transparency. So you have been really careful with clouds.

cloudy-diamond-due-to-additional-clouds-not-shown.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results