shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this star Sapphire natural or synthetic?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I fell in love with this ring with its single cut diamond halo, prongs and Sapphire. Upon questioning the seller, he claims the Sapphire is natural but I still suspect that it is synthetic because the stone looks very milky and opaque. Would u think the same as me or is there possibility that it is indeed natural?

Also, it's a size 8... Can it be resized down to 4.25 properly?

__3__4_0.jpg

__89.jpg

__3__2_2.jpg

__3__3_0.jpg

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More pics

__3__7_.jpg

__3__6_.jpg

__3__5_.jpg

__3__1_5.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a genuine star sapphire the "star" rays should move as you rotate it under a light source. Your "star" seems fixed in the one spot, in this case it would be synthetic.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Looks synthetic to me. With some of them it is hard to tell, but that one seems to have the telltale opaqueness of a synthetic.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Shine a bright light through the front of the stone while looking at it's back side, (since the back looks open). If the stone allows enough light to pass it should show obvious growth lines...angular growth lines indicate natural origin, curved growth lines indicate synthetic origin. The attached pictures show a natural dark star sapphire from the front and the back.

Yes, the ring can be sized down that far, but the ring will probably need to be somewhat oval to keep from bending the halo area.

1dark_star_sapphire.jpg

1dark_star_0.jpg

index_finger

Rough_Rock
Looks like synthetic to me. The star effect is not lively at all

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1 Michael E. I think it is likely synthetic based on the color/opaque, but a straight on pic with the star showing would be helpful too. If the star is perfect the stone is likely synthetic.
Also, synthetic stars can move freely and be "lively" over the stone too so this is not enough to tell a true star from a synthetic.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, looks synthetic to me as well.

Go with your gut feel on this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results