shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Ring Marked 14K GTR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitts

Rough_Rock
Hello Again Everyone!

I have a vintage ring that is white gold - Has an oval setting with 2 tiny diamond (?) settings on each side. It is marked 14K GTR. My question is, what does the GTR stand for? Is it the company or artist signature, or is it some kind of gold I am unfarmiliar with? Oh and let me add that it is stamped exactly as typed above; 14K GTR (there is a space between the K and G)

Thanks for any responses this may submit.

Best Regards
Melissa
35.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am assuming that the "GTR" appears to be stamped in some way that means it could not be engraving? My first thought was that perhaps it was once worn by Geoffrey Theodore Rogers or Gianfranco Telesco Rizzo. No?

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...I cannot find anything on GTR that relates to vintage jewelry. I found a webring that has many members, all of whom deal only in vintage jewelry, however. Maybe you could e-mail some of the owners of websites in this webring.

Vintage Jewelry Webring

Deb

glitts

Rough_Rock
Thanks for checking on that Deb. I let you know if I find anything out-and thank you for steering me toward an answer!
Thanks so much.
Best Regards
Melissa
35.gif

loupe

Rough_Rock
Melissa,

The GTR could stand for J.M. Fox, Inc. of Long Island City, NY. Sometimes the maker''s marks do not reflect the manufacturers company name. When you are dealing with "vintage" jewelry be sure to test the shank as well as the top of the ring with a gold tester or acids. It may be stamped 14K but you need to verify the metal content, especially if you are reselling to the public.

"Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2005 4:53:57 PM
Author: loupe
The GTR could stand for J.M. Fox, Inc. of Long Island City, NY. Sometimes the maker's marks do not reflect the manufacturers company name.

Karen,

Does J.M.Fox, Inc. (or should that be "did"?) use "GTR" as its mark?

Deb

loupe

Rough_Rock
Deb,

It''s hard to say unless you contact the company. That is, if the company still is in business. Sometimes different lines of the same company have different marks. It could be the initials of one of the principals oof the company or JMF was too obvious or taken by another company at the time. Then there is the whim factor. There are no hard and fast rules to manufacurer or maker''s marks. And it is the reason that marks are hard to research. That''s another reason that symbols instead of letters are used for some companies.

I am going by Melissa''s description of vintage. The company could still be in business. I don''t know. Past , present or future tense is not at issue. I was just trying to help based on what I know.

"Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel."

glitts

Rough_Rock
36.gif
Thank you Karen! I appreciate everyones reply! I have been sifting thru about 50lbs of vintage, antique, well just old jewelry, costume jewelry, and JUNK LOL! But it has been fun, have found some obvious winners, and then there are the "hmmm" pieces I have placed here in forum. Thanks everyone for your help!

Best Regards-
Melissa
35.gif

glitts

Rough_Rock
Hi Karen Just wanted to thank you for your help. I searched for J.M. Fox on the internet, and found nothing at first then did a search with the name in quotes. Found out that they are still in business. Found them registered to a booth for the 2005 Las Vegas Gem Show. Clicked on there booth number, and whala-got this :
SAMUEL AARON/JM FOX INC.
31-00 47TH AVE
LONG ISLAND CITY NY 11101 USA
Phone: 718-392-5454 Fax: 718-786-2748

Contacted them and after waiting all weekend, finally received word back from them. Indeed they did use the stamp "GTR". Well not them directly, they manufactured the ring, had an independent artists design it. Not sure how that all works, so I may be repeating the message slighlty off of the way I heard it, but it was something to that effect.
Either way, You were right.
36.gif
Just wanted to let you know and thank you once again!

Best Regards
Melissa
35.gif

PS: Sorry for any typos, was so excited to tell you-I might have slipped in a letter or two that shouldnt be there-my fingers are going crazy
19.gif
LOL>

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results