shape
carat
color
clarity

Should lighter airline passengers pay less? (no politics)

Should lighter airline passengers pay less?

• Yes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Re: Should lighter airline passengers pay less? (no politics

My "boss" (I use that term loosely because I am mostly an indie contractor) could stand to lose 200 lbs. But he could also afford (and often does) to charter his own private plane. There are countless others though, who don't have that kind of money and need to fly coach and "inflict" their flesh upon the rest of us. Well, guess what? Flights continentally are relatively short. I'm sure we'll all make it through having to be crammed in like sardines, same as we do every other form of public transpo. Subway? El? Taxi? Jeez.

First off, if you are flying from coast to coast, they are anything but short.

As far as other modes of transportation, in my state there is no subway or El.

If I take a taxi, I am not taking one with a stranger.

So no comparison to a 6 hour plane ride for me.

And if you are short of money, that trumps people with health conditions?

And in another post you referred to "thin flight"?

What about "fat flight" or is that not PC?

None of that matters, or is relative, imo.

There is a designated space (seat) you are paying for on plane. And there is a designated space (seat) I am paying for.
You are entitled to no more, and I am entitled to no less.

So who is the person who should be thinking of other options for flights? Why should it be me who is conforming to the rules of that airline? Why should I be looking for certain airlines or layover flights?

Why not the person who actually needs to?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ruby, I addressed those things in my previous post in which I quoted yours.

Maybe someone will open an airline that caters to people with positive attitudes, so I can always fly that. Because you know when I feel imposed upon? Having to sit next to an *******. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Monie, we all sit next to @ssholes.
We all sit ON one too. :lol:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

No you addressed the fact that you are tall, so you might need to make special arrangements.

Yes, I am diabetic, but I fit fine in the space allotted to me. So why do I need to look for other flights?

And once again, you are not hearing me?

You speak of positive attitudes?

I am talking about people who have the basic right not having to be rubbed up against strangers. And as another poster (Arkie I believe) mentioned, what about the safety issue of not being able to lower the arm rest?

And as far as my age, I am old enough to have been taught you do not impinge on the next person.

An example. We usually go to a move during the evening. Yesterday we saw "Denial" about the holocaust, but it was a matinee. I take a diaretic in the morning, which lasts until late afternoon.

We took our seats. It was more crowded then I thought and people sat to the left and right of us. I knew 2 hours meant at least 2 bathroom trips. So rather than disturb the people next to me or behind us, having to stand up and climb over them, we moved to an aisle seat, so as not to annoy others.

Yes, that is what I was taught.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I guess if I try (very hard) I can see various sides on this issue but I also don't get it. A few years ago I was sitting next to a very large man on a flight. He looked very uncomfortable trying to get in the seat and sitting in the seat. I asked if he would prefer flying with the arm rest open. I'm on the smaller side and it seemed like the right thing to do. He seemed very grateful and at the end of the flight thanked me for being kind. I have to admit it didn't change my life one bit and I certainly didn't give it a second thought while on the flight or afterward. I feel sorry for anyone who would let something as trivial as having a little less room on a flight bother them. Acts of kindness are really not that difficult... but from reading some of the responses on here I guess it is.

We are all human beings. I don't see the need for charging seat prices based on a person's size.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Because you know when I feel imposed upon? Having to sit next to an *******.

An who do you feel that person is in this case, dare I ask?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

I feel sorry for anyone who would let something as trivial as having a little less room on a flight bother them.

Trivial to whom -

The person next to you who may have been a victim of assault and needs her personal space

Or the person next to you with a health condition that needs the space allotted to her to keep from aggravating it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1477151824|4089535 said:

Maybe someone will open an airline that caters to people with positive attitudes, so I can always fly that. Because you know when I feel imposed upon? Having to sit next to an *******. :wavey:
So you flew on the same flight with Kenny?... :lol:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Not going to comment on the "ah",

but I am finding a lot of hypocrites here who randomly decide who needs our sympathy and who is one based on their choosing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1477159525|4089556 said:
monarch64|1477151824|4089535 said:

So you flew on the same flight with Kenny?... :lol:

DF, you don't have one?
Ya know, actually, that would explain some things. ;-) :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1477158741|4089550 said:
I guess if I try (very hard) I can see various sides on this issue but I also don't get it. A few years ago I was sitting next to a very large man on a flight. He looked very uncomfortable trying to get in the seat and sitting in the seat. I asked if he would prefer flying with the arm rest open. I'm on the smaller side and it seemed like the right thing to do. He seemed very grateful and at the end of the flight thanked me for being kind. I have to admit it didn't change my life one bit and I certainly didn't give it a second thought while on the flight or afterward. I feel sorry for anyone who would let something as trivial as having a little less room on a flight bother them. Acts of kindness are really not that difficult... but from reading some of the responses on here I guess it is.

We are all human beings. I don't see the need for charging seat prices based on a person's size.

Thank you, Callie. You are such a loving, good woman. No matter what the issue is, your response is love.

Love,
(((Calliecake)))
Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are definitely a sweet person and I would be so happy to sit next to you! ;))

I agree that I do not see the need either. Airlines have been charging for two seats if you are very large for a long time.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Firstly, I would not like to see people charged airfare based on their weight.

Secondly, some of you must have very sore necks from the weights of your halos. Denying someone's feelings and the right to feel discomfited in what that person feels is an uncomfortable situation is an attempt to demean and it's ugly.

In a perfect world, if I'm having a perfect day and someone infringes on my personal space on a plane, I'd live with it. Poop happens.
But, in reality, I've waded my way through a sea of people getting to my gate, stood in the cattle line to board, endured those who hold up boarding trying to fit full-sized luggage in the overhead bin or under the seat and once seated, may have not only a portly individual with one buttock overlapping my leg, but the person in front of me puts the seat back all the way for the duration of the flight and the toddler in back keeps kicking the seat. And those of you with the heavy halos would castigate me for being perturbed?

Instead of filleting Ruby for every thought she shares, maybe you should stuff your self-righteousness up your arses, try to fold a different point of view into your rigid paradigms and soften the borders of your self-congratulatory ideals.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't fillet people.
I challenge ideas I consider to be ill-conceived.
I don't care, or keep track of, from whom they came.

Of course there are certainly people here I like more or less; I'm human.
But when posting I endeavor to just stick to a post's content itself.
I'm not into loyalty to friends or ganging up on enemies.
I'd say the exact same thing to any person here. (and to DF I'll say anything! :D )

If I happen to challenge many ideas from the same person, so be it.
It's not personal.

... Oh wait ... Hold on ... I have to adjust my halo. :lol:

screen_shot_2016-10-22_at_0.png

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Matata|1477165411|4089592 said:
Firstly, I would not like to see people charged airfare based on their weight.

Secondly, some of you must have very sore necks from the weights of your halos. Denying someone's feelings and the right to feel discomfited in what that person feels is an uncomfortable situation is an attempt to demean and it's ugly.

In a perfect world, if I'm having a perfect day and someone infringes on my personal space on a plane, I'd live with it. Poop happens.
But, in reality, I've waded my way through a sea of people getting to my gate, stood in the cattle line to board, endured those who hold up boarding trying to fit full-sized luggage in the overhead bin or under the seat and once seated, may have not only a portly individual with one buttock overlapping my leg, but the person in front of me puts the seat back all the way for the duration of the flight and the toddler in back keeps kicking the seat. And those of you with the heavy halos would castigate me for being perturbed?

Instead of filleting Ruby for every thought she shares, maybe you should stuff your self-righteousness up your arses, try to fold a different point of view into your rigid paradigms and soften the borders of your self-congratulatory ideals.

Thank you so much, Matata.

I truly appreciate your response.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1477166018|4089597 said:
I don't fillet people.
I challenge ideas I consider to be ill-conceived.

And I hope more people follow your example.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The airlines have a system for estimating the weight of the human cargo onboard. It is 175 lbs for a man, and 135 lbs for a woman, INCLUDING luggage. So YMMV (no pun intended) on where you stand based on those estimated figures. It mostly all just balances out, as others have said, with kids weighing less, and empty seats. I do agree that if you don't fit in a seat, you should have to pay for 2.

I always just pick my seat carefully. Aisle or bulkhead. I need to go to the washroom every hour or less. It's just the way it is. I will be the first to offer to exchange seats if I'm offered a "better deal". Once I scored a nice quiet seat because someone didn't want to sit next to the woman with the baby. It was better than the middle seat I had. I will politely claim my personal space too. I don't infringe on others if at all possible and try to be courteous. My only fear these days is if I fall asleep and snore. I'd hate to bother other people.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium

American airline wins right to weigh passengers to prevent crash landings
Hawaiian Airlines implemented the new policy to distribute weight evenly around the plane cabin and save fuel

An American airline won the right to have weighed its passengers over a six-month period earlier this year to learn how it can save fuel, after discovering the average passenger and carry-on luggage was heavier than expected.

Hawaiian Airlines has now scrapped pre-booked seating for people flying the 2,600-mile route between Honolulu and the American Samoa.

Instead, they will be assigned seats when they check in to make sure weight is evenly distributed around the main cabin of the plane. The airline will keep at least one seat open per row or place children under the age of 13 in those seats.

Some passengers said the policy was discriminatory as it only affects people flying on one route, from Honolulu to Pago Pago, with most passengers being of Samoan descent. Samoans have among the highest rates of obesity in the world.

Six complaints have been filed with the US Department of Transportation since 29 September, as reported by the Economist.

The department ruled in favour of the new policy, with airline officials claiming an even distribution of weight could prevent a crash landing.

Hawaiian Airlines said it had conducted a voluntary, six-month passenger weight survey on the Pago Pago route, starting in February, asking all passengers to be weighed along with their carry-on luggage.

As a result, the airline scrapped seat pre-selection only on the American Samoa route because the other flight routes surveyed, for example in Korea and Japan, showed no evidence of excess weight.

The airline had also ruled out other possible causes of fuel loss, such as strong winds.

Spokesperson Alex Da Silva told The Independent that no passengers will be asked to step on the scales now that the survey has been completed, and that the airline can still accommodate all parties and can sit families together.

Hawaiians Airlines is not the first passenger carrier to make the move. It follows Samoa Air starting to weigh passengers in 2013.

Uzbekistan Airways also began weighing passengers in 2015.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hawaiian-airlines-american-samoa-honolulu-obese-discrimination-weigh-passengers-new-policy-crash-a7375426.html

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mary poppins|1477176263|4089649 said:
American airline wins right to weigh passengers to prevent crash landings
Hawaiian Airlines implemented the new policy to distribute weight evenly around the plane cabin and save fuel

An American airline won the right to have weighed its passengers over a six-month period earlier this year to learn how it can save fuel, after discovering the average passenger and carry-on luggage was heavier than expected.

Hawaiian Airlines has now scrapped pre-booked seating for people flying the 2,600-mile route between Honolulu and the American Samoa.

Instead, they will be assigned seats when they check in to make sure weight is evenly distributed around the main cabin of the plane. The airline will keep at least one seat open per row or place children under the age of 13 in those seats.

Some passengers said the policy was discriminatory as it only affects people flying on one route, from Honolulu to Pago Pago, with most passengers being of Samoan descent. Samoans have among the highest rates of obesity in the world.

Six complaints have been filed with the US Department of Transportation since 29 September, as reported by the Economist.

The department ruled in favour of the new policy, with airline officials claiming an even distribution of weight could prevent a crash landing.

Hawaiian Airlines said it had conducted a voluntary, six-month passenger weight survey on the Pago Pago route, starting in February, asking all passengers to be weighed along with their carry-on luggage.

As a result, the airline scrapped seat pre-selection only on the American Samoa route because the other flight routes surveyed, for example in Korea and Japan, showed no evidence of excess weight.

The airline had also ruled out other possible causes of fuel loss, such as strong winds.

Spokesperson Alex Da Silva told The Independent that no passengers will be asked to step on the scales now that the survey has been completed, and that the airline can still accommodate all parties and can sit families together.

Hawaiians Airlines is not the first passenger carrier to make the move. It follows Samoa Air starting to weigh passengers in 2013.

Uzbekistan Airways also began weighing passengers in 2015.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hawaiian-airlines-american-samoa-honolulu-obese-discrimination-weigh-passengers-new-policy-crash-a7375426.html

Excellent example of how this equality thing has gotten out of control.

... as the jet is seconds from crashing, "OH SURE, EVERYONE ON THIS JET IS GONNA DIE.
BUT SO WHAT?
THE ONLY THING TAT MATTERS IS THAT WE WERE WERE ALL TREATED AS EQUAL HUMANS!

screen_shot_2016-10-22_at_5.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Small airlines have for safety reasons been weighing passengers for many years, the larger ones started doing it more recently. I dunno how many times I have to say it, but if a small plane is too heavy ie a pilot miscalculates the weight of the cargo including passengers and the weight of the fuel taking off can be dangerous, landing can be dangerous and there might not be enough fuel to even reach the destination. So the argument in these cases that it won't catch on, or it's discriminatory and overweight US citizens won't put up with it doesn't work. If they want to fly to one of those destinations like Alaska or somewhere like that on a small to medium sized plane that on any particularly day is fairly full they will have no choice. Safety first.....

For larger planes it's not as critical, they do it for the comfort of other passengers and well just to make extra money.

My husband says that 99% people who are morbidly obese know they are, they don't want to be embarrassed and the majority of them, particularly the ones that are frequent flyers, actually buy two or three seats, without being asked.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

I do not think people should be charged base on size. However, I do think the arm rests should be able to be done otherwise the person should buy two seats. I sat next to a very large man on a plane before. I am so non-confrontational so I did not say anything. I should have. It was extremely uncomfortable to have a strangers thighs touching mine. He was in a good portion of my already small seat.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Forget about the scale - get the tape measure out - I don't want some wide watermelon ass overlapping onto me. Butt implants are messing sh!t up!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love this!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I say no and here's why;

I weigh approx 171lbs. My bodyfat is 15%...sometimes less depending. (see where this is going to go??) I fit in the seats just fine, even the ones where they squish most people half to death. Heck most people don't even believe me when I tell them I weigh that much.

Muscle will always weigh more than fat. But wait, I should pay more for my physical fitness? GTFOOHWTBS :roll: :snooty: If a person fits in the seat without spillover, no, they shouldn't have to pay more, and that goes for EVERYONE. The airlines dick folks out of plenty of money as it is, they make more than enough to pay for the fuel. If you are spilling over into another seat and I mean to the point to where you NEED 2 seats, then yes you should bite that bullet and pay for it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

171 pounds which I had to look up is only 77.56kgs isn't considered even remotely overweight by any airlines I know of, I'm heavier than that. I don't think many of you get it, they charge people that actually are morbidly obese not just big, not just heavy, we are talking people who actually take up sometimes not just two but three seats across wise and then some. We are talking about people who are 300+ pounds and over.... that really are literally twice and sometimes three times the weight or more of a normal person.

I've met some Samoan people and they were big, again we are talking 300, 320, 330 pounds and well over per person.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1477449606|4090586 said:
171 pounds which I had to look up is only 77.56kgs isn't considered even remotely overweight by any airlines I know of, I'm heavier than that. I don't think many of you get it, they charge people that actually are morbidly obese not just big, not just heavy, we are talking people who actually take up sometimes not just two but three seats across wise and then some. We are talking about people who are 300+ pounds and over.... that really are literally twice and sometimes three times the weight or more of a normal person.

I've met some Samoan people and they were big, again we are talking 300, 320, 330 pounds and well over per person.

I agree, its not obese. But if you go by BMI, I'm borderline, because I'm also 5'4" :lol: . Considering my fitness level thats rather moot and the other reason why BMI dosen't even tell the correct picture (but thats probably another thread!!)

My 6'7" 300lb brother does indeed take a couple of seats. Not a fat guy just big and yes he does usually pay extra when he flies. Not only to get the hell out of coach so he doesn't swallow his knees, but also because hes a big kid. He avoids flying if at all possible.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I sat next to a normal sized man that kept crossing his legs and resting his knee on my lap. His elbow was also hanging over the armrest and digging into my arm! He was encroaching upon my space in such a huge way! I kept nudging him over but he would always resume his original posture.

I would like an ******* button. *ding* This guy is being an ******* and leaning over into my space, please charge him double.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

I don't think many of you get it, they charge people that actually are morbidly obese not just big, not just heavy, we are talking people who actually take up sometimes not just two but three seats across wise and then some.

I agree, Arkie.

And to the poster above

If you fit into one seat where the arm rests can come down. You are fine.

If you cannot, you pay for the extra space you need.

If you fit, but are just obnoxious and keep "digging into" the person next to you then you call over a stewardess and let her deal with it.
If he refuses to comply, then they remove him from that seat and possibly arrest him when the plane lands.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1477504357|4090774 said:
I don't think many of you get it, they charge people that actually are morbidly obese not just big, not just heavy, we are talking people who actually take up sometimes not just two but three seats across wise and then some.

I agree, Arkie.

And to the poster above

If you fit into one seat where the arm rests can come down. You are fine.

If you cannot, you pay for the extra space you need.

If you fit, but are just obnoxious and keep "digging into" the person next to you then you call over a stewardess and let her deal with it.
If he refuses to comply, then they remove him from that seat and possibly arrest him when the plane lands.
This is not a smart nor comfortable scenario to aggravate a man who already feels so entitled when I am traveling alone. I do have to exit the plane by myself. I do not want that person following me and doing me harm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results