shape
carat
color
clarity

Maltese Cross - Antique Cushion

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

Can you please help me understand a question regarding antique cushions? I definitely am finding that I love these type of stones and hopefully overtime can learn more about them. I've seen throughout these threads that occasionally one mentions the term "maltese cross." Is this just a personal preference in how the facets look or does it affect performance as well?

Resonance of Life just posted her beautiful stone. Hello, if you are also reading this thread and hope you don't mind me sharing for learning purposes! I am trying to understand how you would describe this type of faceting versus the kind showing a "maltese cross." Would love to know the best process on finding a similar stone with that type of facets possibly one day.

I appreciate the guidance! Thanks in advance!

maltese_0.png

resonance_of_life.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great cut antique cushions are extremely hard to find. ROL will tell you she looked months or even years to find this one, and she had pros looking for her. The kind with the maltese cross is easily found newly cut with ideal light performance at Good Old Gold. They will custom cut one for you if they don't have one in stock. There is more than one kind of facet pattern in antique cushions, so it is not the type that is the issue. It is whether the stone was excellently cut in the first place. You'll find far more people here with actual antique OECs than cushions, because well cut OECs, even though uncommon, are far easier to find than great antique cushions. Therefore, we see far more newly cut antique style cushions (August Vintage by Good Old Gold and Victor Canera antique cushions) purchased by members of the forum. I can only think of a few outstanding old antique cushions owned by members here.

P

PierreBear

diamondseeker2006|1476886359|4088577 said:
Great cut antique cushions are extremely hard to find. ROL will tell you she looked months or even years to find this one, and she had pros looking for her. The kind with the maltese cross is easily found newly cut with ideal light performance at Good Old Gold. They will custom cut one for you if they don't have one in stock. There is more than one kind of facet pattern in antique cushions, so it is not the type that is the issue. It is whether the stone was excellently cut in the first place. You'll find far more people here with actual antique OECs than cushions, because well cut OECs, even though uncommon, are far easier to find than great antique cushions. Therefore, we see far more newly cut antique style cushions (August Vintage by Good Old Gold and Victor Canera antique cushions) purchased by members of the forum. I can only think of a few outstanding old antique cushions owned by members here.

Hi Diamondseeker! Thanks for taking the time to explain. Just curious but if they can newly cut antique style cushions, is there more demand for the maltese cross? Why not cut it in the antique style format with the chunkier facets that people seem to love? Or perhaps it's just PS forum where only if you've seen a picture of it that you might want to desire this type of look?

Lastly, do you have any guidance on general pricing (lease expensive to most expensive) between the newer cuts versus true antique style cushions? I would assume the great cut antique cushions that you mentioned are hard to find would be more costly but they seem to be lower in color, which would decrease the price? I did read over charmypoo's cushion thread but still am finding there is a lot to learn or sort out. I appreciate the help!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!
Re chunky facets: I think the maltese cross type pattern has chunkier facets/flashes than ROLs cushion? I have seen a prototype from gog of a cushion with a more flowery pattern here on ps, in the avc thread. Other than that I personally think the avc star is closer to ROLs cushion.
My guess, but we would have to ask gog, is that developing one type and marketing it is hard enough to focus on one style of faceting.
I have seen some antique cushions and agree with DS. They dont have a uniform type of pattern in my experience and are often underwhelming. I once saw one with a checker board type pattern that Ive never seen again. It was lovely.
The maltese cross type is a type that I recognize from the hope diamond, classic old mine, but I am no expert in old cuts and have no idea where gog took their inspiration from.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results