shape
carat
color
clarity

Rectangular Cushion Cut Diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

acarr55

Rough_Rock
Do the more rectangular cushion cut diamonds look good? Or is it just a matter of preference?
If anyone has helpful information about cushion cut please let me know!

Thanks

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they look great. Just depends on what you like. I have a square one and it tends to look a little round in the setting. The more rectangular a stone gets, I believe the more light leakage you'll have but I wouldn't pick my stone around that...just go with what your eye likes. In retrospect, I may have gone a tiny bit rectangular!

acarr55

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I like it bc it is unique and a little more vintage looking...just wasn''t sure if those were "desirable" by industry standards

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I would say that the majority of cushions I see out there are rectangular! You''ll have no problem finding one you love...

Orange

Rough_Rock
It is totally a matter of personal preference. In my own cushion search, after looking at a bunch of stones I decided that I wanted a length to width ratio of 1.09-1.16-- less than that looked too round, and more than that looked too long and skinny-- for the cushiony look I was going for. There are so many variables with cushions... do a search here and you will find lots of advice. Also, Good Old Gold has a detailed cushion tutorial on their web site.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I love the more rectangular cushions, Matter of fact Mark (EngagementRingsDirect) is looking now for me. He cannot find what I want - but I''ll wait, maybe.

There is little info on the web about them. Have looked at Harry Kotlar, Diamond Brokers Of Florida, Good Old Gold just to name a few.

I find in my searches more sqaureish cuts, I am looking around 1 to 1:16 to about 1 to 1:26 ''ish. Good luck, keep searching and keep us posted.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Yes- rectangular cushion cuts can be very beautiful.
A few things you may find: There are cushions that look more modern, and those that look more antique. There are a few reasons for this.
Faceting: The more modern cushions tend to have smaller facets on the bottom, creating more of a bucket of crushed ice look. The antique type stones have larger facets which sometimes create patterns on the diamond.
Girdle: This is the dividing line between the top and bottom of the diamond- when you look at a diamond in profile, the girdle is the widest part.
The modern type of cushion usually does not have a very thick girdle- while older style stones may have a thicker girdle yet still look good. This is because they have the "old" look.
In my experience there''s not more rectangular, as opposed to squarish stones on the market- it''s a rather even mix, from what I see.
But usually, when looking for a rectangle, all you find is squares.
Fred''s law I guess.......

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I consider squarish under 1:06....where are they hiding? I need to know for my next "project"
11.gif
I sure don''t see many on the net

dib

Shiny_Rock
I just bought a rectangular cushion - it''s 1:25. When i started my search i thought i would go square, but i just found this stone and loved it! Most of the ones i did see were more square though. I think the rectangular shape is different and looks more antique, which i love. I also went with a setting that i never thought i would do, until i saw the stone in it. I should get it in about a week and hope to post some pictures.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
More- I don''t neccesarily believe that shopping online will give one a true idea of the market- especially in cushion cut diamonds.
This is a very boutique item which means that there''s less of them to go around- therefore less posted online.

I know it sounds strange, but I remember occasions where I needed a rectangualar radiant, and all I could find were squares. The next week, after the need for a square had evaporated, cutters were throwing square radiant cuts at me!!
When shopping for something mined from the earth, it''s not possible to always "get one to order"

As bbb mentioned- many times a person goes in thinking they want a particular shape- then gets swayed when they see one that takes their breath away- even if it''s not what they originally had in mind.
So- keep an open mind- you may find something you did not even conceive of!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a rectangular cushion and I love it! I too thought I wanted a more square one until I really started looking and found a rectangular one that really spoke to me. In all honesty, I felt that the rectangular one looked bigger (which was important for me!), plus I knew I didn''t want it to look round AT ALL, which could be a problem with the squares! I was fortunate to find one that is not so deep so it looks big and maybe in terms of numbers it''s not perfect, but it looks great to me and that''s what really matters. It does ultimately come down to personal preference. Good luck!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
All the more reason to just go ahead and give me your retailer user name and password to that big secret diamond data base David
31.gif

dib

Shiny_Rock
I like what curlygirl said about her stone looking great to her although the numbers may not be perfect. I decided not to get any tests like a brillancescope or sarin on my diamond because i knew i would get hung up on the numbers and if they weren''t what they should be, i would have probably passed on the diamond. I went with my eyes and feelings (and the original specs of the stone) to make sure it was for me. Sometimes i obesess a little when i read these forums that i don''t have other info on the diamond, but i kow when it''s on my finger i will be estatic!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results