shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok Emerald Experts How About This One?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mazzy

Rough_Rock
I am trying to find a very good emerald cut. What do you guys think?

E
VS2
65.9% Depth
64% Table
Medium Girdle
No Culet
Good Polish
Very Good Symmetry
Fluresence = None
1.39 Ratio

Should I be looking for something with a very good polish?

Any input would be wonderful! Thanks

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mazzy,
There''s simply no way to tell just by the info on a GIA report.
For example- two diamonds with identical L x W can look dramtically different- simply because the corners play such an important role in an emerald cut- and these''s no mention of corners on a GIA report.

A good digital photo will acoomplish a lot in that regard.

As far as Polish and symmetry.
Wait let me put up my sheild before I get pelted..hehehe

Good is perfectly sufficient in both categories.
In both categoroes- Polish, and Symmetry- the miniscule deficiencies causing GIA NOT to call them EX/EX ( instead of Good/Good) are invisible to the naked eye- and sometimes incredibly hard to find even with a loupe.

There are other factors which are far more important, and visible- such as the corners and general appearance of the stone.

Does the diamond carry a GIA report?

mazzy

Rough_Rock
Yes, it has a GIA report and I am hoping to be able to go see the stone soon, it is so hard to buy an emerald cut online. I am trying though since I have found I can get more carat for my money. I would really like a stone around 1.7 carats. I am very particular about the shape though. I really dont want it to square or to skinny. I didn''t realize that about the l x w ratio. Thought they would all look similiar. Do you think that you can notice a big difference in size from a 1.5 to a 1.7? This stone is 10,800 which is in my price range versus the others I have found that size being more money.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
With a good digital photo you will really get a good idea of the stone.

I will tell you this- $10,800 is incredibly LOW for a well cut 1.75 E/VS2 Emerald Cut Diamond with GIA report.
I would say $13-$14k is what you will need to pay nowadays for such a stone. Why would one stone be so much less than market price?...Is a private individual selling it?
Please let us know if you get it!

It''s possible for a 1.50 to look as large as, or even larger than a 1.75 depending on the layout of both stones

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Like others have said, the numbers alone aren''t a good way to judge an EC. However, the preliminary numbers indicate that this stone is worth ascertaining the photos on this diamond and see what it actually LOOKS like...I''d also want to know WHERE the inclusions are located on the diamond...if they''re within the steps, then they''ll be harder to detect...If the inclusions are ON the table, then it''ll be noticeable...

Can''t wait to see some pix on this baby!!

maitai

Rough_Rock
i am going to see this stone tomorrow, found out that there is a crystal on the table.
emsad.gif
what do you think?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2005 12:27:07 PM
Author: maitai
i am going to see this stone tomorrow, found out that there is a crystal on the table.
emsad.gif
what do you think?

Honestly maitai, you''re just going to have to see this diamond and see what YOU think. We don''t know anything about the crystal....size, angle, etc. so it''ll be hard from your description of how much it''ll impact the look and performance of the stone. If it''s noticeable, however, you''ll see it immediately!!

Let us know...

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Maitai- please be careful!!!!!- the price is so low that there MUST be something going on.

I mean- it''s your money, but most people would be very careful with such a large amount.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck and let us know how it looks.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
hmmmmm.....
No one else thinks a price 20% below market price is unusal, and that caution is well warranted??????

Interesting.......

Remember - if something sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

In many cases I''ve heard of, the "incredibly low" price was a red flag. Sometimes, people have lost money because they were willing to buy in to a "too good to be true price."

maitai

Rough_Rock
emwink.gif
maybe they will let me take a camera (diggy cam) and take some pics, I''m being sent by martin from usa certed diamonds and he thinks this is an excellent buy. He seems to really want to help and he is very nice about answering all of my maaaaaaaaannnnnyyy questions, so will see about tomorrow and the pic.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t comment on the price until he''s seen this stone. Yes it may be priced low, but let''s let him see it first.
2.gif
Bring your digital camera!!!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
After buying a few million dollars in diamonds recently, I certainly CAN comment on the price.
Something is wrong somewhere.

Or- Maitai has found a new source for diamonds- and this source seling 20% below the least expensive sellers- sounds likely.......
28.gif

To repeat my concerns, and why I feel it''s important to discuss this situation:
Many people have gotten ripped off because they believed a seller claiming to have a better deal than anyone else.

An analogy- Someone is offering brand new Rolex''s on the street- for $50.
When you stop to buy one, you could
a) buy a $10 piece of junk for $50- it will last about 2 days.
b) the seller''s accomplice pickpokets you while you look at this $50 Rolex.

Bottom line: If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

maitai

Rough_Rock
emotion-5.gif
thanks again for all the feed back, I hope the diamond does not have any flaws like if its been enhanced or somethimg I shall see tomorrow and for my best interest I''ll be bringing an out side appraiser with me. Has anyone heard of Justin Krall in NYC from Manhattan Appraisers?

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
We''ve heard of Justin- I never had any professional experience with him, but we have spoken, and he seems like a great guy.
AS a VS2 the diamond certainly will have flaws. IN fact, it''s possible for a VS2 emerald cut to NOT be eye clean ( that would help explain the price, although not entirely)

Believe me maitai- I''ll be happy for you if you find a stone so far below market.
But as an expert on emerald cuts, it''s important to point out that the price is a cause for concern.

You''re welcome, if you were referring to my advice on this diamond- although you seem to want to avoid discussing the main concerns I have pointed out.

maitai

Rough_Rock
OK - Here it goes. I went and saw the stone yesterday and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!! The nicest one I''ve seen yet. I went in their with Davids advice ringing in the back of my head - expecting to find something wrong with it and looking for all the flaws. Here is the kicker - I told you about the inclusion on the table - well I found it. While examining the stone from every angle I was able to see it with my naked eye.
emsad.gif
I also new where to look based on the GIA report. But here is the thing - looking at it through the table it looks like a tiny piece of dust. It is a clear crystal. Not another thing that I could find wrong with this stone. It was so white and sparkly, the perfect size, the perfect dimensions. It is everything that I am looking for with the perfect price! So since I know the speck is there do you think everyone else will be able to notice it? I keep thinking, and was told by many others that once it is in the setting you wont be able to notice it. Am I just being nerotic because I know that its there? So this is where I am at - I don''t want to sacrafice size , color or the ratio. It is all equally as important to me. So i decided that I would get it appraised and if the numbers all come in good then I will go for it. Has anyone dealt with the similiar situation as far as making a decision based on where the inclusion was and how noticable it would be?

Your feedback has helped me so much up to this point so keep it coming!!!
emwink.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you found something you like. I''m an EC gal myself and think nothing looks as lovely as good EC!

As to the inclusion--well, that''s up to you. I doubt anyone else will notice, but the question is: will you notice? Is it something that will drive you crazy everytime you look down at your hand or are you someone who won''t care?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2005 12:13:32 PM
Author: maitai
So since I know the speck is there do you think everyone else will be able to notice it? I keep thinking, and was told by many others that once it is in the setting you wont be able to notice it. Am I just being nerotic because I know that its there? So this is where I am at - I don''t want to sacrafice size , color or the ratio. It is all equally as important to me. So i decided that I would get it appraised and if the numbers all come in good then I will go for it. Has anyone dealt with the similiar situation as far as making a decision based on where the inclusion was and how noticable it would be?

maitai...how exciting for you!!

As for the inclusion...do you think you were able to see it because you were looking for it?? Meaning, if you didn''t see the GIA report (which no one else will once it''s set!), would you have known it was there? I personally, made sure that all inclusions were to the outside of my EC and NONE on the table...but you''ve seen this stone and it looks like it "spoke" to you...so only you can make that decision...do you have any photos of the stone to post??

maitai

Rough_Rock
I know, I know
face2.gif
what to do!!! Well I am just anal retentive and want a perfect stone, I also dont have 15,000 and up to get it! I still have to get the setting. My soon to be FI is the one I am worried about - she is worse than I am with the attention to detail but everything else about the stone looks so perfect that I think she will be so overwhelmed by the stone itself she wont care. I am going to have it appraised by Justin tomorrow so we will see how it goes. I didn''t take pics because I was so excited when I was there I forgot all about it. Oops. I have such a gut feeling though that this is the one. I think I am just being to anal. I let you know how it goes!
Thanks again

maitai

Rough_Rock
Well I got the appraisal yesterday! It appraised for $6500.00 more than I am paying. Found that the inclusion on the table is a clear crystal. Don''t seem to concerned about it anymore. Got a few more specs:

1.75 Emerald Cut
1.39 Ratio
Depth: 65.9 %
Crown Angle: 27.8
Crown Height: 8.4%
Pavil Angle: 55.8%
Pavil Depth: 54.5%
Table Size: 64%
Girdle Thickness: 2.3%
NO Culet
No Fluorescence
E Color
VS2

Does this mean anything more to anyone? I was able to take a picture so as soon as it gets emailed I will post it.
1.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a beautiful stone!!! Congratulations on your appraisal!! Can''t wait to see the pictures!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results