shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Got the rock . Now it is setting time. I like the color of platinum and have read all I can on it. I have one question.
Everywhere I see that over time Platinum takes on a patina appearance. What is that exactly?
Thanky in advance

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not very knowledgeable about platinum, but from what I have read, I gather that the patina appearance is the duller look (compared to the glossy polished look when brand new) it has when small scratches on the surface occur. But I''m not exactly sure.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes that''s right. Patina occurs on platinum over time and will give the platinum a duller appearance. Some people like the patina on their platinum some don''t. You can remove the patina by getting your ring polished.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Does it take this patina on all over the surface or just patches? It sounds lovely!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Personally I''ve only noticed the patina on the bottom of my ring, where I would be most likely to hit the ring on something. The sides and top still look pretty good, but I have had the ring polished 2-3 times since getting it in Set. 2003.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm does that look funny, Blotchy like?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
No, it doesn''t look blotchy, at least to me, b/c I don''t see both the top/sides and bottom at once, if that makes sense. I either only see shine (top/sides) or patina (bottom). I guess I should clarify and say that the ring overall definitely has a patina of some sort, but the top/sides look newer than the bottom. It doesn''t bother me at all, but I suppose I could see how it might to some.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Different alloys wear differently and the same alloy will wear differently depending on heat treatements and wrought work etc - casting will wear more and annealed metals more again.

The best platinum alloys that can really take on a good shine are often the same ones that soften a lot when soldered. They will remain softer but harden over time. This is where a lazer welder comes in handy...

Some platinum alloys are pretty stable, but gold alloys soften as much as platinum and this affects the way it wears.

Platinum can be replishished where the patina is unwanted. I always like things to look new but that is just me.

Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results