shape
carat
color
clarity

Was there a separate Politics forum on PS at one point?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or am I just imagining things pre-coffee?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There used to be 'around the world' which is where I think politics was. At least during my time here! Cant speak to before then.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wish there still was. Hangout is ruined for me right now and I find myself not coming to PS as much.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be cool if everyone could be herded into one arena to hash out politics. I enjoy political debate but find myself conflicted because Hangout is supposed to be the lounge where everyone chills, and it's nothing but Trump and Hillary.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there was or is a dedicated forum.
Probably died because it got few eyeballs.

It doesn't ruin PS for me when thread topics don't interest me.
I just don't open those threads.

Clearly many posters want to talk about make up, underwater basket weaving, or whatev.
Doesn't bother me a bit.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, political discussions were held in the Around the World forum, and then I think the mods tried to thin out the forums so ATW was removed and political discussions were moved to Hangout. It honestly doesn't bother me, as kenny said there is always the option of not reading a thread. I'm not really up for political debate these days so I just skip those threads, it's no big deal to me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1475168239|4082018 said:
I think there was or is a dedicated forum.
Probably died because it got few eyeballs.

It doesn't ruin PS for me when thread topics don't interest me.
I just don't open those threads.

Clearly many posters want to talk about make up, underwater basket weaving, or whatev.
Doesn't bother me a bit.
Yup, as long as it stays civil it is better to post on HO.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish those posters interested in debating politics would keep one running thread going instead of starting lots of new political threads the rest of us have to wade past to find other topics. There are just more separate political threads right now than make sense given the limited number of people participating.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1475186701|4082181 said:
I wish those posters interested in debating politics would keep one running thread going instead of starting lots of new political threads the rest of us have to wade past to find other topics. There are just more separate political threads right now than make sense given the limited number of people participating.

Make sense to whom?
You? ... because this isn't your cup of tea?
Clearly your forum-mates feel differently.

Fewer people will see a new thing posted in an existing thread compared to starting a new one.
It's everyone's prerogative to decide whether to start a new thread or add to an existing one.

Again, just don't open threads, one or twenty, you're not interested in.
"Wading past"? How hard is a 17 millisecond flick of your thumb?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1475187795|4082190 said:

Make sense to whom?

Fewer people will see a new thing posted in an existing thread compared to starting a new one.
It's everyone's prerogative to decide whether to start a new thread or add to an existing one.

Your reaction was what I was expecting except you overestimate the physical dexterity of my fingers. But it's also clear that this thread exists because there are others who feel as I do. And some who probably aren't willing to express it because doing so would trigger a response like yours. For me, having to wade past a lot of political stuff (right or left) is a turnoff - I come to PS to get away from that - and I come less often because of it, the same way Karl said he does.

So go ahead and tell me how foolish I am, but people talk about reduced activity on PS, and maybe we should all be thinking about why that is. For me, it's the political stuff. For you, I'm assuming it's still sideways photos.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1475190828|4082215 said:
kenny|1475187795|4082190 said:

Make sense to whom?

Your reaction was what I was expecting except you overestimate the physical dexterity of my fingers. But it's also clear that this thread exists because there are others who feel as I do. And some who probably aren't willing to express it because doing so would trigger a response like yours. For me, having to wade past a lot of political stuff (right or left) is a turnoff - I come to PS to get away from that - and I come less often because of it, the same way Karl said he does.

So go ahead and tell me how foolish I am, but people talk about reduced activity on PS, and maybe we should all be thinking about why that is. For me, it's the political stuff. For you, I'm assuming it's still sideways photos.

Okay.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a separate politics and government forum would be cool. And if members didn't want to go to that forum they could just flick their thumb a 17 millisecond click away from it ;))

People have expressed they aren't as active in Hangout because of the politics. I love the political talks, but it really is clumping up a lot of the conversational vibe.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1475190828|4082215 said:
Some people feel the same about dogs and cat threads... :bigsmile: just don't click on those political topics... :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1475193359|4082234 said:
I love the political talks, but it really is clumping up a lot of the conversational vibe.

... perhaps it should, considering its importance.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1475197681|4082250 said:
I love the political talks, but it really is clumping up a lot of the conversational vibe.

Important enough for its own forum, maybe. I view hangout as the place where everyone keeps the conversations free flowing and lately it's becoming just the same 3 people talking about Hillary Clinton and how she sucks. I mean at least if there was a separate forum maybe more people would step forward with opinions, international members would chime in more, it would add more of a sense of occasion. I really don't think it's that big of a stretch or a totally outlandish idea.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1475199128|4082258 said:

lately it's becoming just the same 3 people talking about Hillary Clinton and how she sucks.

Somebody has to keep it fair and balanced. :lol: ;))

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. New sub-forum or leave it the way it is. I would imagine that monkeying with the forum layout is a PITA for admins and why should they make a new one just for politics? It will all die down after Nov. Just don't open the threads.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
?

It's a big world, the buck doesn't stop at the US presidential election?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1475200801|4082265 said:
?

It's a big world, the buck doesn't stop at the US presidential election?

Is that for me? I have no idea what you mean.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1475199380|4082259 said:

lately it's becoming just the same 3 people talking about Hillary Clinton and how she sucks.

Somebody has to keep it fair and balanced. :lol: ;))
You mean like MSNBC and NYT?... 8)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is definitely one of the more amusing threads of the last few months.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

Important enough for its own forum, maybe. I view hangout as the place where everyone keeps the conversations free flowing and lately it's becoming just the same 3 people talking about Hillary Clinton and how she sucks. I mean at least if there was a separate forum maybe more people would step forward with opinions, international members would chime in more, it would add more of a sense of occasion. I really don't think it's that big of a stretch or a totally outlandish idea.

Funny how you fail to mention all the anti-trump threads. You aren't obliged to open the negative HRC threads. :wavey:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a separate politics and government forum would be cool. And if members didn't want to go to that forum they could just flick their thumb a 17 millisecond click away from it ;))

People have expressed they aren't as active in Hangout because of the politics. I love the political talks, but it really is clumping up a lot of the conversational vibe.

The amusement grows. To answer the original question, yes, there once was what was a de facto political forum "Around The World". It was all away by itself. Nobody had to click into it. They could avoid it quite easily if they didn't like that sort of thing. It was quite rollicking, to a level that would make the usual suspects in the political threads these days, have serious fits of the vapours.

And yet....back then, the same types who are these days pushing to have political discussions kept out of sight of decent people, so they don't have to be upset and put off by looking at them, would repeatedly voluntarily come IN to the roped off area they didn't have to look at, read the political threads they said they despised and then grouse about how awful it all was and how it was mean and etc etc. And it was. Far beyond anything going on currently. Not saying I want that level of acrimony back - the mods killed all political discussion until now because of it, but it certainly did winnow the wheat from the chaff, and pointed out a certain hypocrisy among those complaining the loudest. They moaned about how they hated it and yet seemed drawn to it like moths to flame. One thing is for sure, for those who stuck it out, there was zero whining. Maybe some of the other old soldiers from those wars will chime in with other recollections, but that's the bones of it.

But of course, the point is that moving these hot-button topics will not make them any more palatable to people who don't have the stones to handle disagreement, vehement or otherwise, and they will still come in and complain.

Everything old would be new again.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1475238881|4082328 said:
This is definitely one of the more amusing threads of the last few months.
Yup, b/c there are many liberal comedians on PS... :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1475246785|4082353 said:

Funny how you fail to mention all the anti-trump threads. You aren't obliged to open the negative HRC threads. :wavey:

I find it funny how you seem to follow my comments around :wavey:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1475251334|4082378 said:

The amusement grows. To answer the original question, yes, there once was what was a de facto political forum "Around The World". It was all away by itself. Nobody had to click into it. They could avoid it quite easily if they didn't like that sort of thing. It was quite rollicking, to a level that would make the usual suspects in the political threads these days, have serious fits of the vapours.

And yet....back then, the same types who are these days pushing to have political discussions kept out of sight of decent people, so they don't have to be upset and put off by looking at them, would repeatedly voluntarily come IN to the roped off area they didn't have to look at, read the political threads they said they despised and then grouse about how awful it all was and how it was mean and etc etc. And it was. Far beyond anything going on currently. Not saying I want that level of acrimony back - the mods killed all political discussion until now because of it, but it certainly did winnow the wheat from the chaff, and pointed out a certain hypocrisy among those complaining the loudest. They moaned about how they hated it and yet seemed drawn to it like moths to flame. One thing is for sure, for those who stuck it out, there was zero whining. Maybe some of the other old soldiers from those wars will chime in with other recollections, but that's the bones of it.

But of course, the point is that moving these hot-button topics will not make them any more palatable to people who don't have the stones to handle disagreement, vehement or otherwise, and they will still come in and complain.

Everything old would be new again.

Glad I could provide some amusement, then.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Elliot86|1475258642|4082416 said:

Actually, I follow posts, rather than posters. Also attempt to focus on posts, rather than posters. :wavey:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know there was an ATW forum before. A simple "It didn't work out" would have sufficed for me!

I actually love politics and discussion of it. I'm not going to complain that Hangout has been more active lately either. It takes all kinds. I was mostly just curious if this was a thing here before or not.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1475259066|4082419 said:
Elliot86|1475258642|4082416 said:

Actually, I follow posts, rather than posters. Also attempt to focus on posts, rather than posters. :wavey:

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results