shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite winter gear?!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey, all! Well, it's officially the first day of fall! As recent transplants back to the mid-Atlantic, we are having to shop for warm weather attire, as this is the furthest north we have lived in 7 years. DH just bought some old school Bean Boots in preparation for mucking about in winter slush!

Just wondering if any fellow PS-ers have suggestions or praise for wet weather or winter gear they could not live without?!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black hunter boots with a liner. North Face metropolis parka. Sorel Joan of Arctic boots.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where (approximately) are you in the 'mid-Atlantic' area? I'm in central NC, and rarely need more than a decent winter coat & gloves for the cold months (Jan-Feb), and I only wear "snow" boots if we head to the mountains. We don't usually get much snow here, and when we do, it's usually gone by lunch time.

It may help to look at historical winter temps/weather patterns for where you live to get an idea of what to expect so you don't 'over-prepare' ... save some of that money for bling. :naughty:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My North Face Oso hooded jacket, I love it because it keeps you warm without being bulky.

I also get a couple pairs of Bear Paw boots when they are on sale, like Uggs but much less expensive and if they get ruined in the snow it won't hurt as much. Plus they keep the feet toasty.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1474566375|4079622 said:
Where (approximately) are you in the 'mid-Atlantic' area? I'm in central NC, and rarely need more than a decent winter coat & gloves for the cold months (Jan-Feb), and I only wear "snow" boots if we head to the mountains. We don't usually get much snow here, and when we do, it's usually gone by lunch time.

It may help to look at historical winter temps/weather patterns for where you live to get an idea of what to expect so you don't 'over-prepare' ... save some of that money for bling. :naughty:

JoCoJenn-
We're in the DC/MD/VA area. We actually just moved up this past summer from NC. I used to live in this area before. It snows occasionally, but I'm mostly concerned just about the cold. I used to have a lot of wool sweaters and coats when I lived here before, but after years of living in Florida, Texas, San Diego, and then moving "north" to North Carolina, a lot of that stuff got donated! So, now I have to restock! We're actually OUT in the weather a lot. We do a lot of walking around urban areas near us and our neighborhood. And, we plan to be doing a lot of travel further north during the winter months (NY and up to Canada).
We backpacked Europe a couple winters back, and I failed to pack appropriate shoes because I didn't own any. I ended up buying some Ecco Saunter GTX's at an Ecco store there, and now I am so obsessed with them that I have 4 pairs. Warm, waterproof, and pretty stylish for a winter boot!
I'm already missing NC a bit! We were close to the beach, but we would take weekend trips to Raleigh quite frequently.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1474566599|4079624 said:
My North Face Oso hooded jacket, I love it because it keeps you warm without being bulky.

I also get a couple pairs of Bear Paw boots when they are on sale, like Uggs but much less expensive and if they get ruined in the snow it won't hurt as much. Plus they keep the feet toasty.

Oooh, yeah! I just found a pair of EMU waterproof boots at Nordstrom Rack and snapped them up to throw on for dog walks on cold days when I don't feel like getting really dressed!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy North Face jackets for my kids at Nordstrom Rack (about $40). They're warm and not bulky which is especially great for kids in car seats since it's unsafe to buckle them in with those bulky coats.

I have an Under Armour jacket meant for 30 degrees and above that is thin and comfortable. It almost seems like wet suit material with a slightly fuzzy lining.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
My long Patagonia jacket! I walked to and from work in it in New England for 4 year - 3/4 of a mile. Never got cold!!!!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppmom|1474572449|4079649 said:
I buy North Face jackets for my kids at Nordstrom Rack (about $40). They're warm and not bulky which is especially great for kids in car seats since it's unsafe to buckle them in with those bulky coats.

I have an Under Armour jacket meant for 30 degrees and above that is thin and comfortable. It almost seems like wet suit material with a slightly fuzzy lining.

Totally making the trip to Nordstrom Rack now! Have never been, but this may make it worth the trip. Do they wear the jackets just for the car, puppmom, or these are warm enough for how cold?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plane tickets to Hawaii!!!! :love: :appl: :wavey:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1474585600|4079712 said:
Now you're talkin!!!

I was thinking that a moving van to Arizona sounds pretty nice!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DC area doesn't really get much 'weather', you are right. It is mostly just REALLY FREAKING COLD with wind that goes right through you.

I'm a fan of Uggs. They are ugly. DEAD UGLY. But my arthritic feet love them and I just don't care. Lovely warm comfortable feet. But, I didn't wear them when I lived in DC. Wouldn't have been caught dead in them, back then. My how things have changed.

The one thing I wore ALL THE TIME in DC but never wear anywhere else is a REALLY good hat that covers the ears. Shearling hats are great.

Try not to die laughing at the expression on these people's faces. I had a hat I bought locally (trying on it important with hats) that was like these that was a life saver in that area:

http://www.furhatworld.com/shearling-sheepskin-olie-hat-black-p-1458.html
http://www.furhatworld.com/napa-shearling-sheepskin-cuff-hat-p-3523.html
http://www.furhatworld.com/shearling-sheepskin-cuff-hat-black-frost-p-1328.html

Also, if you have the funds, a shearling coat is nice. One of my girlfriend's had one. But 3k is WAY too much for me to spend on a coat, personally.

I just bought a nice cashmere blend wool coat. Long with a hood (can't find another like it). I was perfectly warm. Mine was like this, but with a hood (and it was a charcoal color which I prefer to black): http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/fleurette-long-wool-coat-regular-petite/4482368?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK

Again, I bought it locally. I used to haunt Filene's Basement, Sims, and actually, there was one good Burlington Coat Factory (with higher end goods) somewhere we would hit up when someone had a car.

The length was key. Long as you can find.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and while they are boring basics, but Lord and Taylor's own brand of cashmere sweaters, especially when they have a sale (you can get a cashmere sweater for like 30 bucks) are really good quality. So good that I still buy them even from the west coast. Make sure you know what 'weight' cashmere you are buying though, you want their winter weight, not the summer weight.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered a bunch of performance fleece from Old Navy for the whole family. Inexpensive but best stuff evah for cold weather. I pretty much live in ON black fleece zip up entire winter. Not bulky, soft, warm and great for layering under coats.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
These ones usually don't drop below 80 bucks. But with online coupons and holiday sales you can get them down in price significantly:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/open-front-cashmere-sweater-0200-c1f6sr7210--1

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/cashmere-v-neck-sweater-0200-c1f6sr7570--1

These you can get for cheap:
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/cashmere-cardigan-0200-c1sr7200a--1
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/basic-v-neck-cashmere-sweater

I go for longer lengths now. But the ones above I wore for years and I don't think I ever paid more than 40 bucks by the time all the discounts were applied. Unless I had to have a certain color, then I might splurge. No more than 60 bucks though.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1474579726|4079684 said:
puppmom|1474572449|4079649 said:

Totally making the trip to Nordstrom Rack now! Have never been, but this may make it worth the trip. Do they wear the jackets just for the car, puppmom, or these are warm enough for how cold?

I was just at one of our local NRs, and they had a large selection of North Face down jackets!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1474585600|4079712 said:

Haha! A Hawaii break may be in order in the near future!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1474601020|4079789 said:
These ones usually don't drop below 80 bucks. But with online coupons and holiday sales you can get them down in price significantly:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/open-front-cashmere-sweater-0200-c1f6sr7210--1

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/cashmere-v-neck-sweater-0200-c1f6sr7570--1

These you can get for cheap:
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/cashmere-cardigan-0200-c1sr7200a--1
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/basic-v-neck-cashmere-sweater

I go for longer lengths now. But the ones above I wore for years and I don't think I ever paid more than 40 bucks by the time all the discounts were applied. Unless I had to have a certain color, then I might splurge. No more than 60 bucks though.

Oh, I love those cashmere v-necks! I currently don't have any cashmere; I guess I need to start a collection! I will stalk L&T for those!
The jacket you linked is great, too! I have a wool blend peacoat in charcoal, but it only goes to the mid-thigh. However, when we were living in NC, I struck gold one day while rummaging through one of the local high-end thrift shops. I found a mid-calf excellent-used-condition women's female mink coat that fit me perfectly! After I was able to talk the seller down to $750, I couldn't resist buying it! That's the upside to living somewhere where there are a lot of people who have moved south after retiring! :D I don't really think of it as an everyday coat, though...
I do, for sure, need a hat. I'm too sensitive to the cold; I can't even wear shorts until temps get above 80F! :boohoo:
It sounds like I need a long wool/cashmere coat and/or a long outdoors-y coat (North Face or Patagonia).

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1474600900|4079788 said:
I just ordered a bunch of performance fleece from Old Navy for the whole family. Inexpensive but best stuff evah for cold weather. I pretty much live in ON black fleece zip up entire winter. Not bulky, soft, warm and great for layering under coats.

I have several of these I got when they were doing an $8 clearance sale! They're pretty great, especially when I just want something to pull on over workout gear!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Hands down my North Face jacket, warmest coat I have ever owned.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LV, the jackets are warm enough to wear all winter pretty much. The exception being snow play - we use hand me down "puffy coats" for this. We send them to school/daycare in these and they play on the playground for short periods (if weather over 25 degrees). We've taken them to see NYE fireworks in them, etc. We're in Southeastern PA so the weather isn't usually crazy here - we do see very low temps from time to time but we tend to stay inside on those days and school doesn't take the kids out in under 25 degrees.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
LadyMCh|1474567966|4079628 said:

JoCoJenn-
We're in the DC/MD/VA area. We actually just moved up this past summer from NC. I used to live in this area before. It snows occasionally, but I'm mostly concerned just about the cold. I used to have a lot of wool sweaters and coats when I lived here before, but after years of living in Florida, Texas, San Diego, and then moving "north" to North Carolina, a lot of that stuff got donated! So, now I have to restock! We're actually OUT in the weather a lot. We do a lot of walking around urban areas near us and our neighborhood. And, we plan to be doing a lot of travel further north during the winter months (NY and up to Canada).
We backpacked Europe a couple winters back, and I failed to pack appropriate shoes because I didn't own any. I ended up buying some Ecco Saunter GTX's at an Ecco store there, and now I am so obsessed with them that I have 4 pairs. Warm, waterproof, and pretty stylish for a winter boot!
I'm already missing NC a bit! We were close to the beach, but we would take weekend trips to Raleigh quite frequently.

:wavey: Hi! I'm in NOVA- perhaps we are neighbors??

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1474637110|4079888 said:
LadyMCh|1474567966|4079628 said:

JoCoJenn-

:wavey: Hi! I'm in NOVA- perhaps we are neighbors??

Hey, Logan Sapphire! :wavey: Guilty as charged! We're in NOVA inside the Beltway. Maybe we are neighbors after all?!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love isotoner gloves. I remember coveting my mom's black pair as a child. I believe they were lined with cashmere back then.

BIG fan of these Lands end fleeces - longer, cinched in waist, anti-static, MACHINE WASHABLE! I wore this as I sat through my renovations and threw it in the wash every couple of days lololol... Thank goodness we were using commercial/industrial washers in our apartment building. Now I think back and shudder :errrr: ... had I used a personal machine I could have damaged it with saw dust and plaster dust! They tweak the style and colors every year. These two links look like different styles from different years. I have a bunch of these in different colors. I layer underneath them.
http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-polartec-aircore-200-fleece-parka/id_280985?sku_0=::razz:UW
http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-200-everyday-fleece-parka/id_296349?sku_0=::RPM

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squall jackets from Land's End. They block the wind and keep me really warm.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canadian here. Short sleeved shirts and a sweatshirt material jacket. If it goes below -30C I have a leather jacket somewhere. If the snow gets over a foot deep, I have some boots somewhere. Otherwise, it's tennis shoes year round. I grew up in a town that actually had lows of -75F with windchill sometimes and snow from Oct-April :cheeky: I do seem to live with a constant low grade fever although my thyroid is functioning normally.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Massachusetts.

1. Costco has at this time of year, the best thin windproof fleece gloves for ~$12 per pair. They are the 'running' gloves. They are touchscreen compatible, small enough to use as liners in heavier gloves if you need to, and cheap enough to buy several pairs.

2. Uniqlo's heattech long underwear. I wear these under all my clothing all winter and they are warm outdoors and not too hot indoors.

3. Costco wool socks. They are like 4 for $12 now and very warm.

4. Patagonia nanopuff jacket. Don't know what witchcraft they put in this, but it is almost always warm and never too hot.

5. Down parka for the serious stuff. My favorite is the Columbia Apres Arson. I put a fleece or the nanopuff underneath if it is bitter cold.

I have the signature shearling lined bean boots - all the fun and snuggles of uggs, without the ugly. I have them in all black as well. Toasty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results