carat
color
clarity

Baroque Pearl earrings help

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1473874831|4076471 said:
I like the new circled WSS ones if you want them for studs. I think they have enough circle to be interesting, but not so much that they would look weird as studs
Exactly!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1473909480|4076740 said:
So, is it narrowed down to circle SS pearls for stud earrings, then?

If so, maybe you'd want to ask for a few more pairs of WSS (like maybe four or six, if they have that many) that: (1) Are suitable for studs, (2) Are bright white but not blue-ish, (3) Circled, (4) About the same size as the circle pair shown, and (5) well matched. Or any of the above adjusted according to your specific preferences. Then make your final selection from that.

If it was me, once I had what I wanted narrowed down, I would want more than just one of that type to pick from.
Thanks seaurchin. I'll do just that.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
New stud options

_5845.jpeg

_5846.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
What do you think?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the middle pair best but perhaps a little small. I have PP confirming the size.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
chel180|1473937500|4076849 said:
I like the middle pair best but perhaps a little small. I have PP confirming the size.

I suspect they only appear small in comparison to the other two. I think you'll be very happy with the middle pair; they have a nice shape, and that rose tone you prefer.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll hand it to PP...they never make it easy! (all the choices are too good! It's how I've ended up with multiples if I am being really honest). All three have great luster, shape, and symmetry, and they are very clean, so I think it's really just a matter of personal preference rather than there being any better or worse choice.

I love the deeper rings in both the top and the bottom pair, and I have to admit that I'm drawn to the acorn shape and size of the bottom pair, but I agree, the center pair is a better colour given that you are looking for a more rose overtone WSS pearl. Plus they are beautiful. I have rose overtone WSS pearls too, because I find the hint of rose looks better on me as well.

Here are mine (beside a metallic freshwater strand and earring set). You can see the difference in body colour between the WSS and the freshwater well here. The rose overtone is more apparent in some of the other pictures.

earrings_and_strand_on_paper_with_both_sets_of_wss_earrings__small_.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1473960568|4076965 said:
I'll hand it to PP...they never make it easy! (all the choices are too good! It's how I've ended up with multiples if I am being really honest). All three have great luster, shape, and symmetry, and they are very clean, so I think it's really just a matter of personal preference rather than there being any better or worse choice.

I love the deeper rings in both the top and the bottom pair, and I have to admit that I'm drawn to the acorn shape and size of the bottom pair, but I agree, the center pair is a better colour given that you are looking for a more rose overtone WSS pearl. Plus they are beautiful. I have rose overtone WSS pearls too, because I find the hint of rose looks better on me as well.

Here are mine (beside a metallic freshwater strand and earring set). You can see the difference in body colour between the WSS and the freshwater well here. The rose overtone is more apparent in some of the other pictures.
Thanks CMD and your photo helps to confirm that I'm on the right track. I'm going for the middle pair.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've asked for a pendant to set horizontally and I've chosen the second one from the left. I know the second from right is the best colour but I like the elongated shape better.

_5866.jpeg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH chipped in and doesn't like the horizontal setting idea so back to a plain drop on a simple loop/balle. I'm still getting drawn to the top acorn shaped one but I estimate it's only 9mm at its longest point so might be a bit small. The boroquey drop one is more like 12mm. What size makes a good pendant? I want simple and not flashy but not insignificant either. Hmmmm

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I prefer a pendant that is more like 14 or 15mm long.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
My favourite pendant is a 10-11m teardrop (note the measurement refers to the width) but I also have a few tiny 8mm and 9mm pendants which are a different look entirely. I've taken to wearing them together.

Hope this gives you a better sense of scale!

_5878.jpeg

_5879.jpeg

_5880.jpeg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
chel180|1474028205|4077299 said:
I've asked for a pendant to set horizontally and I've chosen the second one from the left. I know the second from right is the best colour but I like the elongated shape better.

I think the elongated one would make a fabulous pendant. I like the top acorn too, it would be smaller but sweet. Unlike a lot of ladies here I am a big fan of smaller pearls. Pick what you love and would wear!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 9mm Akoya that I wore every day for years and years. It's funny, I can drag out old photos and there's that pearl.

It's the quality of the pearl that will make the difference, more than size. A good pearl will glow.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the one you have been looking at (the elongated one), but set in the usual way (small point up).

Here are some more size comparisons:

14mm WSS:

11-12 mm freshwater:

10mm Tahitian:

I find that the larger the pearl, the longer the chain it needs to look right. And the longer the chain/strand, the smaller the pearls seem to look.

Edited to add: aack! Just noticed the cat hair on my shirt in that last picture. I must have picked him up....

_38256.jpg

_5884.jpeg

_5885.jpeg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks CMD. I definitely need to go bigger.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1473623081|4075231 said:
You're welcome!

Another thought is to get the WSS baroques and have them put on threaders or on little charms to attach to diamond/cz/pearl/etc. studs .

I think it's a dressy, showy look, especially great if you're on a budget because the little chains or threader settings are probably under $100. (PP has all kinds of options that aren't necessarily shown on the site. They set all of mine in the pics below).

Here's an example from their site:
https://www.pearlparadise.com/collections/all-pearl-earrings/products/black-akoya-pearl-threader-earrings

Here are mine. 11mm peach pearls on threaders (baroques or drops will probably look larger than round 9mm pearls would- they measure around the width, not the length); 9mm(?)lavender drops on chain charms; 11mm(?) pink pearls on thicker chain charms. (Yes, I know I'm bad. In fact, I'm on pearl parole!) :p

img_2637.jpg

7_5.jpg

3_42.jpg

6_40.jpg

4_13.jpg

8_5.jpg

Hi seaurchin, I really love those detachable lavender drops. Where did you get them?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mochiko. The pearls were from Pearllunar (on ebay) and Pearl Paradise made the chain setting and set them for me. They also made the other set (with the large pink pearls) and the peach threaders. You can order chain in the thickness and length you want (from PP, see the "settings" tab or whatever it's called), ask to see some choices in the kind of pearls you want ("loose pearls", and they'll quote you a price for the finished piece.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1474392192|4078885 said:
Thanks, Mochiko. The pearls were from Pearllunar (on ebay) and Pearl Paradise made the chain setting and set them for me. They also made the other set (with the large pink pearls) and the peach threaders. You can order chain in the thickness and length you want (from PP, see the "settings" tab or whatever it's called), ask to see some choices in the kind of pearls you want ("loose pearls", and they'll quote you a price for the finished piece.

thanks so much for this information. I've bought from PP before but never thought to click on their findings/settings section! I also didn't realize they could set pearls purchased elsewhere. :lol:

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So my studs and pendant are being made and should be shipped tomorrow.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Please post pics when they arrive!

You're welcome, Mochiko. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results