shape
carat
color
clarity

What Orange Is Good Orange - On Spessartite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/22/2005 12:42:52 PM
Author: movie zombie
richarad m,

ok, so i''m over the top re spess, but what about a spess halo in a lighter more orange or yellow color...?

peace, movie zombie

That''s a good idea MZ but it can be tricky. One of my gem mentors is a genius at working with mixed colors but it''s not easy. Next time I put my designer hat on I''ll check out yellow and orangeish diamonds to see if they''re complementary. But I''m also thinking in terms of small pearls if the right colors/shapes can be found. Or maybe a mix of soft-look pearls and the ''harder'' look of diamond melee? Lots of possibilities.

Richard M.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2005 2:36:40 PM
Author: Richard M.

Next time I put my designer hat on I''ll check out yellow and orangeish diamonds to see if they''re complementary.
Autumn-Leaves-Earrings-2.gif

Date: 6/22/2005 2:36:40 PM

... But I''m also thinking in terms of small pearls if the right colors/shapes can be found.

rg1054-1.jpg

I love seed pearls combined with faceted gems, garnet or turquoise cabs in Edwardian jewelry... just my web directory doesn''t serve any great examples for now, except the mundane or very famous

1-giuliano_png.gif

N-09-02.jpg

Any chance you could bring part of the design session online ?
5.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yingh,

Excellent photo, who took it?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Those are great examples/suggestions Ana. As for bringing it on line, I have so much on my plate at the moment it may be a long while. The ring and pendant are closest to where my thoughts are at the moment but I''d like to investigate some of the luscious new pearl colors available in Chinese freshwaters. My idea would be to suggest the traditional look in contemporary terms. Any ideas along those lines?

Richard M.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2005 3:58:41 PM
Author: Richard W. Wise
Yingh,

Excellent photo, who took it?
I think you are referring to the nice photos posted by Ana. I hope I know because they are so beautiful.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2005 4:00:49 PM

I'd like to investigate some of the luscious new pearl colors available in Chinese freshwaters.
I had no idea that high quality colored seed pearls are even available that small ! Not long ago I had the unfortunate idea to chack out a relatively new line with colored freshwater pearls set pave ... The pearls were way too big for the task and looked like some tropical pest blisters for crying out loud ! Pictures are not nearly as terrible as the very thing...

Click here - too scary to post !

Aside these oddities, I have yet to find modern examples of colored seedpearls set with gems.

One of my favorite jewelry designers uses seedpearls allot - but those are real seed-size, very small. I could not find much of Diego Percossi Papi online. There must be some retrospective catalong about him. definitely worth investigating when small pearls are concerned. Well, surely I am very biased here.

collana12-w2.jpg
from a recent exibition

What size and color are these pearls you mention ? Just curious.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2005 5:35:09 AM
Author: Richard W. Wise
All,

Images are difficult but I do like the ones Richrd M. has posted. They provide a very good illustration of bunt orange and reddish orange hues. So, if you take mine and his two you have a pretty good range of hues. I think the reddish stones are under appreciated.

Besides Nigeria and Namibia you can find the occasional reddish stone in Brazil but, the stone is rare in that country and they tend to ask a high price. I am usually able to purchase a few 4mm round Namibian stones from a friend who lives in Windhoek. I make them into ear studs and you can see them across the room.

Movie Zombie, I think a professional photo of your stone is in order. It is, just about the finest spessartite I have ever seen. So, I''ll be glad to do that if you like.
why, mr wise, what a nice thing to say...it certainly is the nicest spess i''ve every seen! and i think i''ll take you up on that offer re the professional photo.....

yingh, i''m with richard re your photo of your red spess! fabulous....so fabulous in fact that i want a really red spess for sure now....want to part with yours?!
9.gif
details please: carats, dimensions, where you got it, etc. i, too, like the idea that its has yet to see the price of orange spess....but i simply love that color, also.

peace, movie zombie

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ana,

"Too scary to post"...excuse me while I ROTFL! Indeed! Thanks for making the fear and loathing optional. That''s one ugly pocket-ripper!

I wasn''t clear. There''s a profusion of new Chinese freshwaters, some round, some baroque, some large, some small, some in unusual colors. What I intended to convey is that I intend to "look into" what''s available from my friendly neighborhood pearl wholesalers. Pearls aren''t my primary focus and with Chinese tissue-nucleation techniques, new product is entering the market faster than I''m able to keep up with it.

How about those Japanese Komatsu "diamond" or Flower Pearls? They''re not suitable for this project but they certainly offer creative possibilities with color. Komatsu

Richard M.

goldenphoenix

Rough_Rock
Hi all, forum and gem/jewelry newbie here. I spent a few hours at a local gem show this past weekend and was stunned by the mandarin garnet one dealer was offering (he and another dealer both also had Californian spessartite that didn't come close to matching the glow of the "mandrian" garnet as he spelled it). I'm designing a pendant for myself to symbolize, well, several things, and knew immediately that I'd found my center stone. Since I'd just jumped into this world a few days earlier, I didn't know nearly enough about the gem (or any others for that matter) at the time to make a purchase, but have spent several hours of each day since the show researching spessartite, gem cuts, etc. and now have several questions, though I'll start with just one here. The pendant I'm designing is based around a phoenix, so I was/am looking for a gem with plenty of fire (I've always associated fire more with orange than say, the deep red-orange of a ruby grapefruit). Judging by the pictures I've looked at from multiple sources, I particularly like the included, fanta color stones such as valeria101 posted in this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-spessartine.28960/ and/or the 1.55 ct stone currently for sale on Pala. To me, the inclusions increase the flame aspect, but my concern is the multiple mentions of "hazy" in relation to inclusions. I realize some of it will just be personal preference, but generally, do the inclusions increase the flame/sparkle of this gem or is it just the photo and in person they will cause the stone to be duller in appearance? Thanks in advance.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
GP, can''t answer your question but you might find Mine''s spessartite by richard homer to be of interest. its a concave cut and these cuts seem to have ''fire'':

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-coming.29115/

richard homer: www.concavegem.com

i found this thread to be helpful:

[url=https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-four-cs-of-connoisseurship.28593/]https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-four-cs-of-connoisseurship.28593/

personally, i fiind inclusions detract and dull an orange garnet.....

while i''m a big fan of spessartite, you might also find oregon sunstone and mexican fire opal of interest for a pendant.

sounds like an interesting project. i hope you post picture.

peace, movie zombie[/URL]

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2005 6:00:42 PM
Author: movie zombie

yingh, i''m with richard re your photo of your red spess! fabulous....so fabulous in fact that i want a really red spess for sure now....want to part with yours?!
9.gif
details please: carats, dimensions, where you got it, etc. i, too, like the idea that its has yet to see the price of orange spess....but i simply love that color, also.

Welcome to the red spess club! Mine is from Nigeria, 7.95ct, 11 x 10 x 7.5, loupe clean. eBay!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nice photos Ana,

You know we really have not talked about pearls much on this forum. Some of the Chinese, are, in my opinon of fabulous quality and, for you bottom feeders out there, exceptionally well priced. I just got back a great image from Jeff Scovil and will start a thread and post it later.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results