shape
carat
color
clarity

Stack/Multiple Ring Sizing

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I know this topic comes up now and then but I found too many answers when doing a search. I know lots of you stack!

Question 1:

I want to make a stack for my left hand to wear from time to time. My ring size is a 5, but for most rings (2-3mm band) I usually size up and add beads so it goes over my larger knuckle a bit better, leaves room for swelling, but also stops it from falling off when my hand is cold. A true size 5 can be much too snug for me at times...a little loose at times when I am cold but that bothers me way less than it being too tight, as long as it is not going to fall off.

I want to get a 3mm ring (standard fit), and two bands that measure between 1.2-2.2 mm (taper) for a total of 5.4-7.4 mm.

I would always wear these three rings together, though they would not be soldered. I would not add more rings to them.

Would it be appropriate to size up to a 5 1/2? Or some other size?

Question 2:

Sort of same question! I want to get a 3mm or 4mm band (comfort fit) to wear on my right at times with another 2mm ring. My right ring finger is between a 5 1/4 and 5 1/2. My ring is a 5 1/2 but does have sizing beads in it too as it was a little too spinny and floppy without them. It never feels too tight, though I do have to work it off knuckle a bit.

Do I size the 3mm or 4mm band up to a 6? Or some other number? Some say comfort fit fits 1/2 size looser to begin with, which would suggest I should stick to a 5 1/2, but I am not sure how acccurate that is.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I truly think you need to go try on some bands together. Everyone's fingers are different. My one personal rule is to always assess size in the hottest time of the year, because yes, they will be a little loose in the winter, but they have to be big enough to wear in the summer!

For me personally, I can wear two rings at size 5.5. That's about 4mm. But if I were to wear three, I would definitely go to 5 3/4 at least.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - you have to try them on. You could go to a store like Claire's accessories and get some cheap bands in similar widths to what you are going for and stack them and wear them for the day....

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you already size up and add sizing beads, i personally would just stick to that. For me, when stacking I don't have to size up more than my normal size, because the finger under my knuckle is smaller than my normal size by a quarter to half a size (and keep in mind, my wedding stack is two 3mm bands and a 4mm band, so on an everyday basis I am adding a lot of width - I also have a set of three 2mm bands that I stack, and they are a little more snug, about a quarter size less than my usual). BUT if I was wearing a wide ring, I would need to go half a size up so that it could get over my knuckle. So my normal rings, whether worn in isolation or stacked, are size 4.5, because that is the size of my knuckle, but if I am wearing any individual ring wider than about 5-6mm, I have to go up to a size 5.

Jewelers have ring sizers that are wide as well as skinny, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Nicket-Plated-Sizing-Wide-band/dp/B004F8IEMY/ so you can certainly ask a jeweler if they have one if that would help you decide.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Distracts: my fingers are same as yours - about 1/4 size smaller under knuckle. That is part of why I have the beads, so they go over a fatter knuckle but do not spin once over knuckle! But I know spin is less an issue with multiples (or less top heavy rings) so maybe my reg size that goes over knuckle without the beads would be fine. I have tried both narrow and wide sizers, but it is more like I need to try on multiple narrow sizers, ha!

diamondseeker: certainly that would be my best bet but I have limited jewelers around here and they only seem to stock plain bands in limited stock sizes (6s and 7s). I already asked!

Pintobean: I have some cheapie Claire's rings but they don't seem true to size? And I can only ever find them in full sizes (and those still seem inaccurate!)

I decided to order my regular size for the comfort fit band. I went with the 3mm, so the narrower one, and the comfort fit gives a bit more leeway for swelling anyway. Since it will sit at smaller bottom of finger - and ring with sizing beads will sit at higher fleshier part - I think it will work out. I think I might just try my regular (without beads) or 1/4 size up for stackers. They should leave room for swelling (and I can always remove one for really warm days I suppose, or get a thin and unobtrusive twist band or something to add for very cold days!)

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
My situation is not applicable to yours as I have the opposite problem. My knuckle is only slightly thicker than my finger so it's not a very effective ring stopper! My fingers swell massively in the heat (although oddly not as much lately - and I've been eating healthier so it could be diet-related). I found that having my e-ring (simple 6 prong setting) and my wedding band (2.5 mm channel set band) on at the same time was almost too much - my finger started swelling! I ended up having the wedding band resized from my normal 4.5 to a 4.75. It means I can't wear it on its own during the winter, but it allows me to wear the two rings together easily I left my e-ring as it is (4.5) so that my rings will stay put.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results