shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthy Living Thread

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, when I go to bed, I leave the phone charging in the kitchen, so there's absolutely no chance I could look at it. No wonder you're not sleeping all night. Don't do that. Leave the phone out of sight and reach.

Yesterday was tough until it was time to go home. It was raining, but not has torrential as during the day. So far today is just damp. The rains they say won't start in earnest until this afternoon, when the winds and rains will increase through tomorrow morning. The storm itself is over 200 miles from us and is heading way north of us. What we'll get this afternoon are bands that swirl around the storm. Shouldn't be too bad. At least we hope its not too bad.

Last night, Charlie and I were sitting in the family room watching TV, when we heard the stove beeping. Charlie who didn't quite believe the kitties can turn things on and off on the stove, finally saw it for himself. Turns out even when we lock the controls, if they put their feet in just the right spot, they can turn the controls back on. I think the new stove may be ordered sooner than he wanted. He doesn't want to spend the money, but did acknowledge I was right and it's not a good situation.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, OH NO about the kitties turning the stove on!!! Tell Charlie Dee said it's time to order that new appliance!

Here's my funny hurricane story... Several years ago we were down in Florida visiting my Dad and we were going to go to Epcot that day. Well the impending hurricane was all over the news; pictures of the swirling mass coming ever closer to the coast. My Dad came out of the bedroom and started tossing rain ponchos at everyone saying it was time to get in the car. I was like, "But Dad, there's a HURRICANE coming!" He said, "GREAT! There won't be any lines!" So we went to Epcot. You could have shot a cannon through the place it was so empty and there was barely a sprinkle that came late in the afternoon. What can I say? He was right -- there's weren't any lines!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, here's my hurricane story. Sadly, it wasn't as nice or fun as yours.

It's 2004. We live in our beautiful custom home on Tampa Bay (back in the days when we had money!). Hurricane Charlie was heading directly for Tampa. Since we lived on a small peninsula directly on the bay, the fire department said we all had to evacuate. Not knowing where to go with two kitties, we thought it would be fun to go to Orlando. The morning the storm was supposed to arrive, the first band hit around 5 AM. We decided to put the cats in one car and luggage in the other and we headed to Orlando where we had a reservation in a pet friendly hotel. We arrived way ahead of check-in time, so they suggested we go down the street to an outlet mall. We were giving permission to bring the cats into the food court (they were in a carrier) and we were having a little breakfast and coffee when I noticed some men taping all the windows in the food court. Being the inquisitive type, I walked up to one of the men and asked why he was taping the windows, to which he said......"Mistah, ain't you heard? Hurricane Charlie comin' right for Orlando!" So there we were, stuck in Orlando and we had managed to leave our home in Tampa, which never got even a drop of rain, to spend the night in Orlando, where the Hurricane and it's eye went right over our hotel. It was too late to drive back to Tampa as we would have driving right into the center of the hurricane and 1-4 between Tampa and Orlando had been shut down. It was beyond frightening and I heard the hotel make noises I'd never heard a building make. But what was remarkable was we never lost electricity throughout the several hours that storm pummeled us.

That's my hurricane story. I'm stickin' with it. Yes I am!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah... that's quite a story! The good news is your home was fine and so were you and the kitties, but scary indeed!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was scary DeeJay. It certainly gave us a healthy respect for being in a hurricane. I sure don't want to do through another one. But then we do live in a place prone to them. Tampa however, has not sustained a direct hit from a hurricane since 1917. Some say that just means our time is coming, which I suppose could be.

Tonight, bands are pushing through. Some strong, but not associated with much wind. The storm will come to shore tomorrow way north of us in the Panhandle. At least this will all be long gone by the weekend.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Friday kids!

Rod, how is your weather? Did you and Charlie spend the night building an arc or are you in the clear now?

Last night one of my clients FINALLY went under contract (this was their fourth offer!) and I had to drive around at 10 o'clock getting this signed. Ah the joys of being a realtor! Today I don't have much on the docket except a little paperwork associated with that deal and (warning: broken record coming!) clean the bathroom. I think the grout in my master shower needs to be redone and sealed. I'm not sure it was sealed originally (or at least not sealed well) and it's been two years so maybe it's just time. The rest of this weekend we are going to spend working on a unit at the CB's building because he's gone one tenant moving out and another one moving in and there are some things that need to be taken care of in between. The tenants moving out are a Problem with a Capital P so I'm really hoping the new people (who have been nothing but wonderful so far!) are better!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kids!

Rod, I hope you and Charlie are safe. Looks like Tampa got hit.

Dee Jay, hi!

Torrential rains here. Looks like it gets worse before it gets better. I sure hope our 4 am trip to the airport tomorrow is not in vain.

Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod that is quite the hurricane story from years ago. Oh no to the kitties being able to turn the stove on.

Dee Jay I am awful at checking my phone during the night when I wake up. Especially when is Marty is out of town. Good deal on your client going under contract.

We are low on food but hopefully can make it through the day. We were going out to supper but forget it. Hopefully power stays on for the elevator. Oh oh.

Everything I predicted about this trip came true. Hurricane, getting on each others nerves, the few paying for the many and the few doing all the work. Can I say I told you so or should I keep my mouth shut?

Curby / Marcy

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy and DeeJay,

We weren't hit by the storm, but we did get some really strong storms very early this morning. One of the bands associated with the storm, went rogue, broke off and headed for our area. About 4 AM this morning, we got hit with a very strong storm. It's still odd to hear rain on our roof after living in a condo where there was a condo above us. But nothing was damaged. Our driveway looks like it took a bath in tree drippings. Will need to use a broom and sweep it when it dries later.

So, the stove journey: Best Buy has a low price guarantee, but only if you find a price from a seller on their approved list. Still undaunted, I called our local store this morning and asked if they'd match the price from a seller I found on line that was much less. The stove normally sells for $2400. Most dealers have it on sale this weekend for $1800. I found a dealer in New England who has it on sale today for $1560. I figured I had nothing to lose by asking right? I even figured they'd say no. The manager of the department called me and told me if I come in today, he'd match the price. Can you guess where I'm going when I leave work today? I bet you can!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curby, LOL on the predictions coming true! Do you (secretly love it but really) hate it when that happens?!

Rod, are you going to tell Charlie or just surprise him with the new stove? :cheeky:

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I already told him we're buying it today. He's going to go with me, but may not speak to me the rest of the day. He knows we need to do this. He just doesn't want to buy yet another big ticket item. But, I just got an end of month bonus and I'll also sell the current stove, so it really won't cost us that much. At least I'll be able to sleep knowing the kitties can't gas us to death.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kids!

I’m back. :wavey:

Rod, I am glad you and your new home survived the hurricane. That is great Best Buy matched the price you found online. I know we asked them about it once and they hemmed and hawed about it and had special conditions. When will you have the stove delivered?

Dee Jay, yes I secretly love and hate when my predictions come true. I told Marty in the airport yesterday it turned out just as I expected. I didn’t go down the “told you so path” and I didn’t remind me of my “oh good idea during the hurricane season”.

Friday we were in the path of the tropical storm and it sure gave our area a beating. We had a few hours here and there when the rain let up or quit but it rained heavily for almost 24 hours. The beach house had leaks everywhere. All the sliding glass doors leaked really bad, also some windows had gushing water and a leak even started in the ceiling. There were times of torrential rain and wind (but not Wyoming wind). It was something all right. At least the storm surge was near low tide but the ocean was very angry. We had standing water off and on everywhere but a few feet right under the house. Luckily the elevator area kept dry. The worst part was all of us stuck in the house all day. Most of the liquor or mixer was gone, food was low and my FIL decided about 3 pm the worst was over and he, my MIL, Marty and BIL all ventured out to the bank. I think they got caught in the worst torrential rains while out and ran in to street flooding and debris in the road. We had a massive micro burst of wind at the beach house while they were gone. Since most of the restaurants were closed they picked up stuff for burgers for supper. The heavy rains and wind continued until about midnight.

We got up at 3:30 am to head to the airport. Most of the roads were clear of debris by then only ran in to one thing en route to the airport. Flights were on time. Woo hoo! We had about 4 hours layover in Atlanta and got to DIA about 1:30. We stopped on the way home to eat and got home about 4:30. I was excited to get home.

Okay sing in your head: “Home, home on the plains. Where the teddies and killer rabbits play. Where often is heard a vulgar curse word, and the skies are windy all day”.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend.
Curby

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome home Marcy. Sorry Hermine gave you a bad day at the beach. I hope you let the owners know the beach house leaks. At least we know our new house doesn't leak and trust me, Hermine gave it a great test that's for sure.

The new range could have been installed as early as Wednesday, but we opted for Saturday so I could be home with Charlie. I posted our current one on Craigslist and have gotten several replies saying people are interested in it. One lady insisted on coming today to take it and she says she lives out of state and wanted to write a check. Nope. Not falling for that. We aren't going to let anyone take it until the new range is in place and we're only going to accept cash.

It was a normal Florida day today. We decided later this afternoon to go get a picnic dinner and go sit on the beach, have dinner, and watch the sunset. It was simply terrific!

Happy Labor day tomorrow.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy birthday to me!

I am having coffee in bed and watching the CB put stuff in the crockpot for the Tinga Pablona (sp?) recipe he got from the Rick Bayless website. Dinner will be marvelous! I also just got off the phone with my dad (who calls me at the a$$ crack of dawn every year!) and I'm thinking of ultimately getting out of bed and starting my day.

Curby, I'm glad to see you made it home and that the trip was a success (success as defined by no one leaving the house dead or wounded and 911 not having to otherwise be called!). What was your favorite part of the trip?

Rod, your new stove will be marvelous and we're all happy the kitties will no longer have the opportunity to gas you and Charlie to death in your sleep! Are you done now with house things or are there still some items on the wish list?

We spent all day Saturday and Sunday at the CB's building. He had tenant move out on Friday and the place was just a mess. Well the new tenant were supposed to move in mid-day Saturday (their movers actually no-showed on them, which bought us a few more hours) but we cleaned like mad. Then yesterday morning the tenants called and said the bedroom smelled like smoke so badly they didn't know if they could live in the apartment. Well the old tenants were only supposed to smoke on the back porch but the reality is they smoked all over the house, apparently also in the bedrooms! So we bolted up there and washed the walls with TSP again (!) and painted the entire room, including the ceiling, baseboards, window trim, doors, etc. Hopefully they are happy now because I'm not sure what else we could do about it at this point... And they seem like lovely people so it would be a shame to have them move out.

Today my big To Dos involve getting a cake and painting my nails. As you can see there's not a lot on the birthday docket, LOL!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay,

happy-birthday-gif.gif

I hope you have a simply fabulous day!

We're not doing much of anything today. We're making home made Guacamole with chips and jumbo shrimp for lunch, then grilling steaks steaks and having fresh corn on the cob for dinner. If it's not too hot, we'll have a glass of wine in the spa. We'll raise a glass to you today!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Birthday Dee Jay! :wavey: I hope you had a fabulous day.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kids!

Rod, we did notify the lady who was our contact for the rental property. She said to leave the towels all over the floor and window sills so they could get it fixed. The sliding glass doors are so warped they barely worked anyway. That’s good to know your place doesn’t have any leaks. Good idea not to accept a check from someone on Craig's list. Love the Minions.

Dee Jay, I like your definition of a successful vacation. My favorite part of the vacation was enjoying watching the tides coming in and listening to them at night. I truly kept thinking I was at home and it was wind. Ha! I am very glad to be home though. Going back to work tomorrow - not so much. I hope CB has a nice deposit from the smokers that they no longer will get refunded to them. Sometimes that smell doesn’t go away for years. It sounds like you had a nice day for your B-day.

I continued working on assorted projects I needed to catch up on being gone for 2 weeks. I got a lot accomplished.

We went to dinner with friends for Fantasy Football draft. It was a nice time and since the food and drinks were subpar I didn’t eat or drink much.

Not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow but those pesky bills keep showing up.

I emailed my sales associate today to see if he can check and see if my car is finished - according to my order it should have come out of the paint shop on Friday.

Take care.
Curby

P.S. I had to go to the post office 3 times today and I didn’t have a curbing incident ONCE. Marty told me once we get the rims fixed I am not allowed to go there at all.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Tuesday kids!

Rod, thank you for the birthday wishes! And the dancing minions are a hoot!

Curby, thank you! And you went to the post office three times yesterday...? I don't think I've been to the post office three times in the past decade, LOL.

Yesterday the CB got up and went to the grocery store and got all the stuff to make Tinga Poblano from a Rick Bayless recipe. The whole house smelled marvelous for hours and I was ravenous by the time he finally let me near the crock pot. It was amazing! The bad part is he didn't feel well and ended up not eating. How sad -- he made this spectacular meal and didn't eat it... Two of our neighbors came done an had some though, and we've got lots of left overs. We never got around to doing cocktails and cupcakes in the parking lot so we'll try to make that happen tonight.

Still no word on how much money they want me to wire for the (alleged) closing on Friday. These people don't move very fast...

The CB is heading up fishing tomorrow through Sunday so if I do close I may stay at the place myself for a few days. A few books, a couple bottles of wine, and some potato chips -- he!! I would be set for the whole weekend!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this over in Hangout but I'm not sure if you guys would see it. I find this hilarious!!!

I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.

Therefore every day I walk down the street and tell passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch and doing what anybody else does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook! I already have four people following me: Two police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that there is funny! Yes it is!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kids!

Dee Jay, I love your Facebook story. That is so funny. Yes, I made 3 trips to the post office. First I mailed some birthday cards. Then I remembered I had 2 postcards from my trip to mail. Then I got the bill for our lawn service. I hope CB is feeling better today. Rats he didn’t get to enjoy any of his delicious dinner. What time are cupcakes and cocktails? Good luck closing on Friday and that would be fun to spend the weekend there.

Rod, what brand of Stove are you buying?

I got up about an hour early so I am very yawny tonight. We dropped the pickup off to get the oil changed at 7:15 then Marty took me to work. Things went okay while I was on vacation but I barely got to my work until this afternoon cleaning up things here and there.

Good news! My car is already on a ship heading to the states. I could have it by the end of the month or beginning of October if all goes well.

Marty’s lenses cost $772 - that is one expensive pair of glasses since we paid $460 on them on our vacation.

He ran my car to a auto body shop to see about getting the scratches fixed on my hood and they don’t work on Audi. I might check another place tomorrow and if it can’t get fixed soon I might have to get less on my trade.

I also bought Ding Monkey to fix my rims at least once and turned in a claim online and they emailed me today saying they’d fix 2 now and the other 2 in 60 days. Two problems there I won’t have the car that long and that policy expires on September 30. I will call them tomorrow.

Have a great evening and day tomorrow.
Curby

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy.....YAY that your car is on a ship heading to the US. I wonder if the ship docks on the east or west coast? Once a car comes off a ship, it has to go through QC, then customs, so that takes a bit of time. Then it's assigned to a truck for its trip to the dealer. I hope it goes fast for you.

BTW, most car dealers have a wheel guy who typically fixes scratched wheels pretty inexpensively. If your insurance won't cover it all in time, it might make sense to just pay to have them fixed if it will increase the trade-in value.

The stove we are buying is the Samsung NX58H9500WS. Here's a picture:

nx58h9500ws-4.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wednesday kids!

Curby, YAY for your car being on it's way!!! Fingers crossed that it's a swift crossing and that you get it very soon!

Rod, that's a good looking stove! And coming from someone who isn't into appliances that's a high compliment, LOL.

So the HVAC installer called me this morning and said there is a problem with getting the condensate line run. Apparently the way the plumbing is currently hooked up is an issue, and not just fro the HVAC but also for the washing machine drain. It's going to take the intervention of an actual plumber (not some half a$$ed handy man, which I think is what the seller's have been using to this point) to fix everything. I'm pretty sure my chances of closing on Friday are going to zero rather rapidly...

Last night we did cocktails and cupcakes on the veranda. About a dozen neighbors came by to celebrate. It was super hot and muggy though. ICK.

Today I've got a migraine building. Oh joy; I can only look forward to that hitting full force...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, I'm sorry to see you have issues with the condo, which could prevent closing on Friday. I hope there's a good solution for you. I also hope the migraine went out the window and you're feeling OK.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kids!

Rod, great looking stove. Thanks for confirming what I have read about how painfully long it takes my car to get to the dealer. It still sounds like I’ll get it a bit earlier than expected.

Dee Jay, darn it that the HVAC guy ran in to some issues. I hope they get it resolved and you can still close on Friday. I hope your migraine was short lived and you are feeling much better now.

Another crazy, busy day at work. My computer did a mandatory update to a new version of Office - I can’t find a darn thing yet.

I worked an hour late. Marty left a potato baking for me for supper so it was nice and done when I got home.

Take care.
Curby

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Thursday kids!

Rod, They were able to resolve some of the issues to the point that the CB said just tell them to leave the rest along and he'll take care of it. So there is now a larger possibility I will close on tomorrow... but I'm still not putting money on it!

Curby, did your computer update to Windows 10? Mine did and I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. I REALLY HATE the part where when I save things now it is automatically trying to get everything to One Drive (or whatever the could based storage thing is). I don't want my stuff in the cloud!!! I just want it on my own damn computer! I have found a way around this for documents but I still can't figure out how to save pictures anywhere but in the cloud... so now I only deal with pictures on my phone. What a PITA!

Last night we had a department outing and then I went home and got to deal with the parking situation in the back of my building. One of the commercial tenants bought a new truck and he wants to part it there. I don't have any problem with it but I'm sure some people will b!tch. Because that's just the way people are...

Tonight I have the inspection for the people who wrote four offers before they finally got under contract. Fingers crossed on that one!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, I'm glad the closing may happen tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

On Windows 10. I love it. I just never activated the Microsoft One Drive and you can choose where you want to store pics as I certainly don't put them in Microsoft's cloud. I do however have a cloud based backup subscription I pay for. It's called Carbonite and it's constantly backing up my system to their cloud (in the background), which allows me to access any doc or pic from my iPhone or any computer for that matter.

Sounds like you need to spend a little time getting used to Windows 10 and setting things up the way you want them to be.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, thank you SO MUCH for that! I am disabling that baby ASAP!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kids!

Dee Jay, yes we have Windows 10 and now a new Office. I tried to save to the cloud or one stop or whatever it was and it told me I didn’t have permission to save files there. I laughed.

I HOPE you get to close tomorrow.

What a pain dealing with complaining tenants. Is there room for the commercial vehicle to park there? People will complain about almost anything. That is for sure.

I hope your clients inspection goes well.

Rod, thanks for the tip on the storage. I’ll check that out at work tomorrow.

Our backup drive or cloud is an external drive with another backup in the basement.

I tried a tablet with Windows 10 to see if I wanted to use it for my work laptop. I gave it back in about 30 minutes and said no thanks. I am too used to the iPad I guess.

Your stove is almost here.

I kind of caught up at work today but was busy all day. We are definitely out of our slow season.

I got an estimate on getting the scratches on my hood today - $856. I am not turning it in to my insurance so I’ll just pay for it. We replaced my windshield this year, had major hail damage 4 years ago and Marty has one ticket so I thought I’d quit while I was ahead. They are going to do it the last week of the month and naturally Marty is going to be out of town that week. I don’t know how I’ll arrange that but I guess I’ll figure it out.

I am trying to arrange getting my wheels fixed but the guy didn’t return my calls today.

I am watching the first football game of the season. Woo hoo. Sadly that means fall is almost here.

Tomorrow is Friday and hopefully Dee Jay’s closing.

Curby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results