shape
carat
color
clarity

Magnetic reluctance in pearls?

Pearlita

Rough_Rock
Ladies, am I going mad?

I've been laying some tahitian pearls into a line to set the order, and I can swear I can feel magnetic-kind-of-resitance between some of them. You know that when you try to put two magnets together the wrong side, and they resist to merge? This feeling. It's very light, barely existing, but I swear it's there. Mostly among biggest pearls (14, 15mm) and not from every side, but still.

These pearls are from reputable seller. So I've tried other strands (from other sellers) - and some pearls show same kind of feeling between each other. Is it the nacre doing it? :read: :confused:

PLEASE tell me that someone else experienced this feeling and I'm not going mad? :errrr: :confused:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty weird............
Maybe its the surface of your beading tray? That flocking might be causing them to tip away from each other?
Either that or the pearl fairies are messing with you... :tongue:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no psychologist, but you could be going mad. It happens.

:lol:

Do you have a regular magnet you can test with? Instead of relying on two pearls who repel each other.

Pearlita

Rough_Rock
ennui said:
I'm no psychologist, but you could be going mad. It happens. :lol:
That's exactly what my husband said. Though I don't know whether he was referring to yet another pearl necklace or my "resistance" feeling in pearls :D

I think I got an explanation though. The pearls were freshly drilled, and the "resistance" happens by the holes. So I assume that is some kinetic energy left from the drill. Now need to ask someone who understands in physics to fact-crash my idea :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results