shape
carat
color
clarity

What constitutes an inspired by piece vs. stealing designs?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What constitutes an inspired by piece vs. stealing desig

lovedogs|1472524363|4071331 said:
I like this way of thinking about things, Rainwood. And Gypsy I agree that maybe changing how we approach things on RT will help with the issue. I thought you explained things well in the thread mentioned above.

As an overall point that isn't necessarily germane to this thread: I find it so frustrating :wall: when posters aren't willing to talk to their SO's about ring preferences/styles/etc. I hate that society has built up this ridiculous concept of a surprise, when what's really important is that 2 people are learning to compromise and (hopefully) be together for the rest of their lives. If there isn't communication marriage is doomed, so starting off NOT asking about expectations is never a good idea, IMHO.

Okay maybe we just think different over the otherside of the world, but over here people are not so specific about their jewellery, although some will be. I think there is more sentimental over here. I mean what if the husband died, would you rather have a large ring you insisted upon in a very specific way to tell people about years later or would you rather have the ring he wanted to pick for you, the way he saw you in his eyes sort of thing. I don't suppose people in USA will see it the same way we do though, so I am probably not going to make sense to all you. :lol: I am trying to get back that feeling of when you first met, you would have accepted a gift he chose and loved it, you would not have had a specific it has to be like this, e.g. it has to be ideal cut, a certain carat size, with pave shoulders and must be a cushion cut. Obviously wouldn't be getting engaged the first day you met but the feelings at that time is what I think we try to preserve over here in the UK. Say even the feelings of before you met when you saw him first and liked him but he maybe didn't know about you, you wouldn't have cared what a gift from him looked like. It is a material world which makes people want more more more and to their perfect mind.

'when posters aren't willing to talk to their SO's about ring preferences/styles/etc. I hate that society has built up this ridiculous' concept'

Yes society has built up this ridiculous concept because an engagement ring is a gift a betrothal ring, he does not have to give you a ring it is up to him, he could choose to give you a necklace or nothing at all. Well in the UK it is this way but then our engagement rings are what you call promise rings. Our cars are smaller than yours as is everything else over here. Women over here think they are lucky if the man gives them a ring at all, lots get none and lots wait years for proposals that never happen. Though not so many will wait nowadays I think. Most women over here only wear their engagement ring until children are born and then just their wedding ring so engagement rings are not seen as important as the wedding band is. Lots of rings over here cost about 3 weeks pay and most are under 25 points but usually colored or small cluster rather than diamond solitaire. One person said to me once, 'oh a solitaire so you will be solitary for life.'

"

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I notice that this forum is not so much geared towards couples getting engaged for the first time as towards the perfect ring for the middle aged or older woman. Here we are talking about copying rings, the designer rings will be copies in less than great form, because most couples getting a house and everything would not want to spend money on designer settings but would like the look.

Maybe it would be better if those giving advice here were young couples themselves who had recently researched and got engaged rather than mature women who had the house and everything paid for and had a different mindset about what the perfect engagement ring was. An upgrade is different from an engagement ring. Upgrades are not really heard of much unless people are rich and well settled and plenty of money to spend. When the previous board on diamonds was most popular on the internet, there were lots of diamond dealers giving advice in the way they are not allowed to now, but there were lots more people answering questions too, not just the same ones, so more rounded opinions and less direct sales going to the same people, the larger companies like whiteflash who became popular became so because of the population on the board finding then and buying from them rather than being directed towards them. Over on Pricescope it was always the other way that people were being told to look here or there and look at this particular ring, Mara was the one doing the selling and not the tradespeople.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fulvia|1472608150|4071691 said:
distracts|1472532130|4071359 said:
Skhii|1472530827|4071356 said:
While this may not apply to the OP of the thread Gypsy linked, I think the limited number of PS-"recommended/approved" vendors is part of the reason why people go to BE, DK, etc. instead of the creator of the original design. I have seen threads asking about Lauren B, Brilliant Earth, etc., and the thread usually has PSers recommend OP go elsewhere (e.g., IDJ, BE, DK, CvB, etc.) to create stronger, better quality settings, or it is ignored.

This is true. Everything must be ~perfect~ or it is not good enough. I admit I have experienced feelings like my engagement ring isn't good enough because it is cast from a local jeweler and my sapphire isn't precision cut and the exact ideal color. No one has said anything directly (and I don't think anyone would!) but when you see certain things advocated for over and over again, you start to feel like anything else is lesser. When you throw in the level of judgment to someone shopping for an engagement ring for the first time... it's no wonder they feel the pressure. They want to not only get it right but to go above and beyond, and Pricescopers usually have a pretty narrow idea of what that is.

I feel compelled to respectfully disagree with this. PS isn't (at least to my mind) supposed to be a democratic forum where people are made to feel good about their jewelry no matter what it is, or indeed one where subpar (or unknown) vendors are recommended. PS is a place to learn about the best stones and the most perfect settings. So yes: PSers are about perfection (although that certainly doesn't mean that all of us can attain perfection).

It sounds like you're actually in agreement. PSers are indeed an intimidating bunch when it comes to perfection in jewelry. Also the loveliest people I've ever encountered on an online forum... but tough! I love that noobs like me can get on Colored Stones and be told point blank that the sapphire we though we got such an amazing deal on is actually windowed to hell with extinction to boot before we end up with a bunch of brown rocks we can't return. Or go on Rocky Talk before we purchase a dead diamond with a fish eye that will end up driving us crazy in 3 months.

It gets murky for me however when you have people throwing around words that are meant to belittle or shame someone else's jewelry, because that is such a personal thing. And most of those people doing it don't seem to care about artistic integrity so much as not letting people "get away" with their purchase without making it known that they have a perceived sub par product because they didn't pony up the additional 15k someone else did for a name. Copyright issues aside there are ways to say you'd steer clear of a designer whose bench practices don't jive with yours without calling someone's ring a mockery to the altar of the high end hand forged platinum IF gods.

That is called being petty. Tom Petty.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not sure but it seems as though my posts are getting intercepted here. I have decided to leave this board, there are not many users everyday and it seems to just be a small club now for old cut lovers. I have been told before by a computer person that this board is trying to get into my computer although I do not understand cookies or anything more sinister, but tonight three posts have just disappeared and this has not happened before. I have just decided to leave now as I notice most old time posters have and have never really found out the reason why. So goodbye, I wish you all well. :wavey:

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I know when i posted this thread I had very specific questions in mind, but it's kind of amazing how this has evolved into something so different. It's like 6 degrees of (jewelry) separation, ha!

I do have to say Pyramid, with all due respect, i do not think someone having a 3 carat J SI2 and paying X when someone else has a 3 carat E VVS1 and paid Y is the same thing as copying someones work. I don't think people with those stones (and I am one of those people) are trying to pull the wool over someones eyes, which is what I sort of think you are implying. Yes my J SI2 is not worth as much as an E VVS1 of the same size but it's not intended too. Copying a designers work to me is very different.

Now, to take this in a different direction if you want to go there: this is kind of like when the August vintage cushion came out, everyone was like WOWWWWW I LOVE THIS!

Then Victor Canera came out with a version. Then Diamonds by Lauren. Then Brilliantly engaged. Again, to me it's still not the same as copying a ring design but these other vendors saw "Hey! Everyone loves amazing light return on a chunky cushion, I think imma get me some of that market". I don't consider this wrong by any means (Free market) but this to me is more in the vein of "copying".

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

damn! I posted mine before I saw your goodbye post Pyramid. I am sorry you feel that way. I think it's healthy to have differences of opinions as long as things can be discussed in an open and civil manner. So weird about your posts disappearing, it could be a browser issue- sometimes you think it went through but your browser hadn't fully finished submitted the form.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

With all due respect, Pyramid, I disagree with many of the things you posted. But I encourage you not to leave the forum, as I think differences in opinion are healthy as long as they are expressed respectfully and people can communicate openly.

I think that assuming people on the forum are all middle-aged and have everything "paid off" or are "rich" is a mistake. I am under 30 and frequent PS because I love jewelry/diamonds and am genuinely interested in learning more/sharing pieces with others who appreciate them/helping people who are new to diamonds and jewelry find good quality pieces for fair prices. There have been multiple instances on RT where posters with modest budgets have been helped tremendously by PS without breaking the bank. I can recall multiple instances of people finding their "dream" rings for between 1,900-2,500. Of course there are others who have 20K budgets, and everyone is different.

As for this point:
he does not have to give you a ring it is up to him, he could choose to give you a necklace or nothing at all.
, it reads as quite sexist to me, so my reaction is immediately a defensive one. But beyond that--of course no one HAS to get an engagement ring. Plenty of couples don't. But I still maintain that an engagement ring is a pretty darn important purchase, and one that shouldn't be made lightly. Just like one wouldn't buy a new car for someone as a gift lightly--they are pricey and people have specific preferences about what they want their vehicles to look like. I think of e-rings similarly, and think that for many people they have ideas of what they want their ring to look like. So the best bet for someone shopping is to either 1) snoop, 2) ask directly, or 3) have talked about it passively enough (e.g. "what kinds of ring would you like" convos) that the buyer knows what the wearer would want with confidence. And PS is a specific community for people who think deeply about jewelry/diamonds and who want to learn more/share knowledge about it. Of course people on this forum care more than your "average" person about jewelry--just like if you were to go onto a car forum you'd find car enthusiasts.

Long story short--I think differences in opinion are helpful and can further discussion, but have different viewpoints than yours. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Regarding the 'perfection issue'.

It's an interesting perspective. I've gone on Colored Stones and yes, been intimidated, but at the same time I am very appreciative of the assistance (and bluntness) of the helpful posters on there because they have helped me avoid purchases that would have eventually.

I think my issue is this on RT. So many women dream of their engagement rings. They have 40 pins of dream rings. They see their friends rings and day dream.

I just want to make sure that they aren't disappointed.

That's why I try (and maybe I don't always succeed) to put aside my personal preferences and focus on either A) what the actual poster would want, but that requires specific information about the poster's tastes or B) focus on settings that are generally well received (not "buyer specific") and diamonds that are well cut and good values for the budget.

I strongly disagree that PS is no longer a place focused on engagement rings. I spend hours on RT a day and 90% of my time is spent helping posters looking for engagement rings. Of course, that is something only someone who actually helps on RT would know.

Pyramid: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Bye!!! You are right, PS has changed. The Old Timers have moved on. And you have been unhappy here for a long time. I hope you find a like minded group of people to call home!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid - I don't get your argument with the diamonds, buying what you can or cannot afford (a 3 carat white diamond versus a 3 carat heavily included or low coloured stone) isn't stealing hours of someones workmanship or design ideas, which is what this particular post is commenting upon.

Most of the posts over in Rockytalk are new people looking for Engagement rings, MANY of them are young couples.

The bulk of the regular posters here are a mix of ages and I don't think it is just old cut lovers, although a disproportionate number of members here do have and enjoy old cuts. Most of the days of pile ons and attacks have gone, yes people tell it like it is sometimes, to try and stop people buying rubbish when there are better alternative available to them, it's their choice if they follow that advise or not. Many of the old time posters have left due to a range of reasons, like they are now vendors, they have moved on, they don't want their items copied and have joined other sites, and some are still here. I think by in large everyone attempts to help everyone regardless of if they show up here with a small budget or a large budget - indeed we see and have members with jewellery from every end of the spectrum at this very point in time.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock

Elliot86|1472610909|4071714 said:
Fulvia|1472608150|4071691 said:
distracts|1472532130|4071359 said:
Skhii|1472530827|4071356 said:
While this may not apply to the OP of the thread Gypsy linked, I think the limited number of PS-"recommended/approved" vendors is part of the reason why people go to BE, DK, etc. instead of the creator of the original design. I have seen threads asking about Lauren B, Brilliant Earth, etc., and the thread usually has PSers recommend OP go elsewhere (e.g., IDJ, BE, DK, CvB, etc.) to create stronger, better quality settings, or it is ignored.

This is true. Everything must be ~perfect~ or it is not good enough. I admit I have experienced feelings like my engagement ring isn't good enough because it is cast from a local jeweler and my sapphire isn't precision cut and the exact ideal color. No one has said anything directly (and I don't think anyone would!) but when you see certain things advocated for over and over again, you start to feel like anything else is lesser. When you throw in the level of judgment to someone shopping for an engagement ring for the first time... it's no wonder they feel the pressure. They want to not only get it right but to go above and beyond, and Pricescopers usually have a pretty narrow idea of what that is.

I feel compelled to respectfully disagree with this. PS isn't (at least to my mind) supposed to be a democratic forum where people are made to feel good about their jewelry no matter what it is, or indeed one where subpar (or unknown) vendors are recommended. PS is a place to learn about the best stones and the most perfect settings. So yes: PSers are about perfection (although that certainly doesn't mean that all of us can attain perfection).

It sounds like you're actually in agreement. PSers are indeed an intimidating bunch when it comes to perfection in jewelry. Also the loveliest people I've ever encountered on an online forum... but tough! I love that noobs like me can get on Colored Stones and be told point blank that the sapphire we though we got such an amazing deal on is actually windowed to hell with extinction to boot before we end up with a bunch of brown rocks we can't return. Or go on Rocky Talk before we purchase a dead diamond with a fish eye that will end up driving us crazy in 3 months.

It gets murky for me however when you have people throwing around words that are meant to belittle or shame someone else's jewelry, because that is such a personal thing. And most of those people doing it don't seem to care about artistic integrity so much as not letting people "get away" with their purchase without making it known that they have a perceived sub par product because they didn't pony up the additional 15k someone else did for a name. Copyright issues aside there are ways to say you'd steer clear of a designer whose bench practices don't jive with yours without calling someone's ring a mockery to the altar of the high end hand forged platinum IF gods.

That is called being petty. Tom Petty.

It is unclear to me on what basis you have drawn this conclusion. What I tried to say (perhaps unsuccessfully) is that PS functions a bit like a textbook: users can learn what is considered "the best" according to the PS standard and regulate themselves accordingly. So exactly as you say, one can avoid traps like buying a diamond with a fish eye (or whatever) and if one decides to go with Jared regardless of the advice given here, at least one does so fully informed. This shouldn't be a place of hand-patting and reassurance that whatever vendor one chooses is going to be fine. That's not what I come here for, at least.

As to the suggestion that some users are rude enough to belittle or shame, as you say: I have witnessed none of that in the year I've been active here aside from a few nasty comments from rogue trolls who have immediately been told to screw off. In fact as it seems to me, PS has generally a very positive and supportive environment. It's possible that some user interpret comments as nasty, but that's an entirely personal thing perhaps connected to the very emotional status of jewelry especially engagement rings. But at the end of the day, guess what? this is an entirely voluntary thing. People who post their jewelry here are not forced to do so. When they choose to, then, they open themselves up to the scrutiny of an anonymous, online community.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fulvia, if you think I was implying that members should come here for head pats then yes we are clearly not seeing each other's point of view at all.

And respectfully, I registered here (finally) 4 years ago but have been reading the forums far longer and I did not pull my last comment out of a hat. It's much more subtle than "Ugh how HIDEOUS" but it does happen, and I'll leave it at that so as not to derail.

We are in agreement that on the whole PSers are a lovely bunch.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1472608298|4071692 said:
One person said to me once, 'oh a solitaire so you will be solitary for life.'
Since I have a three-stone does that mean I'll be in threesomes for life?

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

distracts said:
... Looking at 5 stone ring, feeling exhausted ....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

7 stone.here. :o

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1472683641|4072023 said:

Kitties count! :wink2:

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

distracts|1472675843|4071992 said:

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pyramid said:
I am not sure but it seems as though my posts are getting intercepted here. I have decided to leave this board, there are not many users everyday and it seems to just be a small club now for old cut lovers. I have been told before by a computer person that this board is trying to get into my computer although I do not understand cookies or anything more sinister, but tonight three posts have just disappeared and this has not happened before. I have just decided to leave now as I notice most old time posters have and have never really found out the reason why. So goodbye, I wish you all well. :wavey:

If I had a buck for every time Pyramid said she was leaving PS, I could probably afford one of those D/FL diamonds she thinks everyone should strive for... [emoji849][emoji23][emoji23]

"Goodbye, cruel Pricescope!" [emoji1362]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

VRBeauty|1472684291|4072025 said:
Gypsy|1472683641|4072023 said:

Kitties count! :wink2:
Whew! Then I am right on track!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

What are "best practices" for a kinda-new design inspired by a PSer's unique ring? I've just gotten inspired by a famous & prolific PSer's ring, though she hasn't posted on this thread (so I can't sneakily figure out how she feels about things like this!) & would use a different shape of stone but go with the same jewelry artisan; however, the artisan does not list the ring setting as a "stock" piece.

If it's been extensively posted on the board, is it "fair game"? Should I do a "Calling So-And-So" post?

Sorry to be cryptic. :) I'm not even sure I'm going to move forward with the idea, since my shiny rock budget is pretty compromised right now, but I can't get it out of my head and I KNOW PSers are the best enablers ever. ;-)

But I don't want to step on toes who have generously shared many, MANY detailed photos of her pieces for the board's enjoyment!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stop the tap dancing and post the ring.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, it's one of Acinom's beautifully engraved DK rings. It's not my intent to turn this into specific guidance about whether MY appropriation of HER (& DK's) design is sufficiently different. I wanted to know the community's thoughts about "inspired by" when it's not a designer appropriating another designer's piece, but another PSer reusing a posted, recognizable, custom design. It's been addressed briefly in this thread but with widely ranging attitudes (from "flattered" to "horrified"). When you don't know how the person will feel, how do you approach it?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Personally, I try to buy original designs from the designer, if I can afford it. Otherwise, I try to make something new/"new". Now IF I was to ask a jeweller (especially a PS-recommended vendor) to make a copy of another PS vendor's rings (which I wouldn't, at least not knowingly), then I sure as heck wouldn't post it anywhere! This is the part I don't get. If people just quietly made their cheaper copies (I understand various reasons why people might do this), and just enjoyed them in their private lives, this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

evergreen|1472776132|4072422 said:
Oh, it's one of Acinom's beautifully engraved DK rings. It's not my intent to turn this into specific guidance about whether MY appropriation of HER (& DK's) design is sufficiently different. I wanted to know the community's thoughts about "inspired by" when it's not a designer appropriating another designer's piece, but another PSer reusing a posted, recognizable, custom design. It's been addressed briefly in this thread but with widely ranging attitudes (from "flattered" to "horrified"). When you don't know how the person will feel, how do you approach it?
Link?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww, thank you!! I feel very flattered indeed. I post my rings online on PS and I do not mind at all if people are inspired by it and copy the ring exactly or have an inspired version created. I let myself inspire by stones and settings as well. For me, that's in part what an online forum is about.
To copy among PS friends for me is a completely different thing (since we are scattered among the globe) compared to copying ones neighbours or friends. And even in that case I would be flattered if a person is upfront about it.

Not many designs are truly unique anyway in fashion and jewelry...

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1472778567|4072428 said:

Aww, thank you!! I feel very flattered indeed. I post my rings online on PS and I do not mind at all if people are inspired by it and copy the ring exactly or have an inspired version created. I let myself inspire by stones and settings as well. For me, that's in part what an online forum is about.
To copy among PS friends for me is a completely different thing (since we are scattered among the globe) compared to copying ones neighbours or friends. And even in that case I would be flattered if a person is upfront about it.

Not many designs are truly unique anyway in fashion and jewelry...

Is it this one? I happen to love this ring! All your rings actually!!!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-pond-select-gem-meets-david-klass.214293/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-pond-select-gem-meets-david-klass.214293/[/URL]

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah, I thought evergreen was referring to my engraved Parauba ring.

The ring in the link hathalove posted, is actually a design I saw on David's FB and it was created for PSer Violetphoenix which I found out later and she was super gracious about it. Hers was made in white metal with a diamond center.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Haha, nailed it: it is the paraiba ring, though the stone I have in mind is a brilliant-faceted rectangular stone. I'd have DK do it, not brave enough to attempt detailed engraving locally, not to mention risking the flow of the setting, etc (I also strongly believe in supporting the original vendor, not least because you can better trust the outcome will match your vision!).

Thank you for being so kind and gracious, Acinom! You and other PSers would instantly recognize it as unmistakably "inspired by", but there's no replicating that stunning paraiba sugarloaf. :D

So that completely reassures me about my situation (and I'll not be shy about posting it if it does materialize!). Gypsy, did you somehow ping Acinom? ;-) Maybe there's a robust enough behind- the- scenes network of PS stars that it is feasible to get the design "owner's" feedback thru the grapevine!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

evergreen|1472780818|4072439 said:
Haha, nailed it: it is the paraiba ring, though the stone I have in mind is a brilliant-faceted rectangular stone. I'd have DK do it, not brave enough to attempt detailed engraving locally, not to mention risking the flow of the setting, etc (I also strongly believe in supporting the original vendor, not least because you can better trust the outcome will match your vision!).

Thank you for being so kind and gracious, Acinom! You and other PSers would instantly recognize it as unmistakably "inspired by", but there's no replicating that stunning paraiba sugarloaf. :D

So that completely reassures me about my situation (and I'll not be shy about posting it if it does materialize!). Gypsy, did you somehow ping Acinom? ;-) Maybe there's a robust enough behind- the- scenes network of PS stars that it is feasible to get the design "owner's" feedback thru the grapevine!

Ha! I was wrong. That's the first ring that came to mind but that sugarloaf is amazing too. Like I said I am a fan of all of her colors! Anyway I'm just following this thread because I find it interesting. Carry on.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hope it materializes for you evergreen! And I am already looking forward to see many many pics. David's engraver does such a great job.
Is your stone a diamond or a colored stone? In any case it will be super pretty.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

There is definitely a grapevine. I do contact people I know and am friends with when it is appropriate. But I do not have Acinom's information in this instances and it wasn't me.

That said as a general rule if you CAN ask th poster if they mind (if it is a very distinctive setting like this one and not "absorbed" into the vendor's catalog) and you are a poster on here and plan to post your ring in here-- I think it is polite to ask as a general rule.

But if the poster isn't active and it is for your personal use and you go to the vendor that originally created the item, or you post and the person doesn't reply, I think it is fine to just go for it, personally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results