shape
carat
color
clarity

What constitutes an inspired by piece vs. stealing designs?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: What constitutes an inspired by piece vs. stealing desig

Hmm. That's a good idea.

I think the issue is that posters need to understand that they have to have honest conversations with their S/O about budgets. We have to be firmer about pushing them on that. They have these Disney fairytale ideas that everything has to be a surprise, because that's what society tells them. And it's complete BS. They aren't mind readers. And they shouldn't have to be. And we need to be telling them that, firmly.

We have a guy whose lady's Pinterest is full of 3-10 carat stones. And any center stones that are around the carat mark are in settings that cost 5k by themselves. His budget is 6k. Now, I've told him multiple times to just TALK TO HER. To set a reasonable expectation about the ring. Because frankly she needs a reality check.

Does he listen? No. He's looking for some low colored pear with shallow depth (which poor performance) so that he can get her a big look and he's using DK for a setting that is a copy of one we posted for him from Joseph's jewelers (which I do not approve of) because Joseph's jewelers would price match the pear he wanted with a drop shipper. For a couple hundred in savings he is going with DK and DK is more than happy to copy the setting.

I mean, what can we do in cases like that?

I do agree that we should start (and I will start today) telling people that are looking for protected settings that are currently in production and available for sale that they need to buy the original or understand that if they decide to go custom they will need to change the setting and customize it enough that it isn't a rip off. Is that going to stop it completely? No. Someone will come on and say, "you can get a copy just like it from DK, don't worry about it." But we do need to try, Rainwood, I agree.

Another option is to find an 'inspired by" setting that is part of the regular stock of other designers. In your example with the Legacy, Vatche had a nice inspired by that we pointed people toward. And we can keep doing that kind of thing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1472519084|4071312 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-on-micropave-ring-design-cad-from-be-attached.225220/

Here's a perfect example.

You read my mind!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1472517587|4071301 said:
Hmm. That's a good idea.

I think the issue is that posters need to understand that they have to have honest conversations with their S/O about budgets. We have to be firmer about pushing them on that. They have these Disney fairytale ideas that everything has to be a surprise, because that's what society tells them. And it's complete BS. They aren't mind readers. And they shouldn't have to be. And we need to be telling them that, firmly.

We have a guy whose lady's Pinterest is full of 3-10 carat stones. And any center stones that are around the carat mark are in settings that cost 5k by themselves. His budget is 6k. Now, I've told him multiple times to just TALK TO HER. To set a reasonable expectation about the ring. Because frankly she needs a reality check.

Does he listen? No. He's looking for some low colored pear with shallow depth (which poor performance) so that he can get her a big look and he's using DK for a setting that is a copy of one we posted for him from Joseph's jewelers (which I do not approve of) because Joseph's jewelers would price match the pear he wanted with a drop shipper. For a couple hundred in savings he is going with DK and DK is more than happy to copy the setting.

I mean, what can we do in cases like that?

I do agree that we should start (and I will start today) telling people that are looking for protected settings that are currently in production and available for sale that they need to buy the original or understand that if they decide to go custom they will need to change the setting and customize it enough that it isn't a rip off. Is that going to stop it completely? No. Someone will come on and say, "you can get a copy just like it from DK, don't worry about it." But we do need to try, Rainwood, I agree.

Another option is to find an 'inspired by" setting that is part of the regular stock of other designers. In your example with the Legacy, Vatche had a nice inspired by that we pointed people toward. And we can keep doing that kind of thing.

In the example you described here, I don't think there's anything different you could have done. That guy is going to get a poor performing stone in a knockoff setting no matter what anyone says.

And my guess is that it will only take a few well-regarded PS'ers like you raising the copying/copyright issue a few times and other PS'ers will think twice before suggesting how to get a knockoff (because that's what they are). They may not be cheap, and they may be someone's engagement rings, but they are knockoffs. And people need to realize that's what they're asking for, regardless of how they may try to justify it.

I did like your general approach on the other example - both about the whole copying issue and because that setting is what they would call in 'real estate speak' very buyer-specific. You were blunt, but right.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like this way of thinking about things, Rainwood. And Gypsy I agree that maybe changing how we approach things on RT will help with the issue. I thought you explained things well in the thread mentioned above.

As an overall point that isn't necessarily germane to this thread: I find it so frustrating :wall: when posters aren't willing to talk to their SO's about ring preferences/styles/etc. I hate that society has built up this ridiculous concept of a surprise, when what's really important is that 2 people are learning to compromise and (hopefully) be together for the rest of their lives. If there isn't communication marriage is doomed, so starting off NOT asking about expectations is never a good idea, IMHO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rainwood|1472521111|4071322 said:
that setting is what they would call in 'real estate speak' very buyer-specific. You were blunt, but right.

I love the tact implicit in that. "Buyer specific" huh? Most of my cats are "owner specific" quirky beasts.

But yes, that setting was love it or hate it. With most people NOT being on the love it side.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are people on here actually recommending that people get copied settings? Yeesh. I haven't been around RT much and when I have been, I've been looking at CAD threads or insurance threads so I haven't noticed that but jfc. I feel like a couple years ago when I was more active the reply if a style wasn't in budget was more like "your budget isn't going to be big enough to cover that, here are some alternate stock settings that are close enough."

I always think if you're on a budget, a stock setting from Stuller or Gabriel & Co or Bev K or whomever is best. Plenty of nice variety at good price points and reasonable quality that should hold up. There are plenty of "inspired by designer settings" ones that aren't exact rips. Not everything needs to be ~uber spectacular personally designed for you and hand engraved~ or whatever. (Plus, at least Gabriel & Co and Bev K will do a fair amount of customization if you ask, for not too terribly much money.)

Skhii

Shiny_Rock

While this may not apply to the OP of the thread Gypsy linked, I think the limited number of PS-"recommended/approved" vendors is part of the reason why people go to BE, DK, etc. instead of the creator of the original design. I have seen threads asking about Lauren B, Brilliant Earth, etc., and the thread usually has PSers recommend OP go elsewhere (e.g., IDJ, BE, DK, CvB, etc.) to create stronger, better quality settings, or it is ignored.

I also think it would help if PSers say and show what makes one setting better than another. It is not obvious to everyone what details have been missed that causes a "beautiful" design to turn "unattractive".

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Skhii|1472530827|4071356 said:
While this may not apply to the OP of the thread Gypsy linked, I think the limited number of PS-"recommended/approved" vendors is part of the reason why people go to BE, DK, etc. instead of the creator of the original design. I have seen threads asking about Lauren B, Brilliant Earth, etc., and the thread usually has PSers recommend OP go elsewhere (e.g., IDJ, BE, DK, CvB, etc.) to create stronger, better quality settings, or it is ignored.

I also think it would help if PSers say and show what makes one setting better than another. It is not obvious to everyone what details have been missed that causes a "beautiful" design to turn "unattractive".

GOOD POINT. I will point out that it looks like a diamond cheerio was tossed onto an otherwise lovely four prong pave setting, and got stuck there, inexplicably, if he asks.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is true. Everything must be ~perfect~ or it is not good enough. I admit I have experienced feelings like my engagement ring isn't good enough because it is cast from a local jeweler and my sapphire isn't precision cut and the exact ideal color. No one has said anything directly (and I don't think anyone would!) but when you see certain things advocated for over and over again, you start to feel like anything else is lesser. When you throw in the level of judgment to someone shopping for an engagement ring for the first time... it's no wonder they feel the pressure. They want to not only get it right but to go above and beyond, and Pricescopers usually have a pretty narrow idea of what that is.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wish we could find and recommend more competent well priced vendors as well!!!! There needs to be a broader range of setting people we have as a list, that can do lovely work that cover a wide range of budgets. Some of these are actually listed over in CS, the coloured stone people have a knack of finding well priced setting vendors because lets face it, I, and most of them cannot justify putting a $200 stone into a $4000+ setting.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I never offer advice or guidance on RT so I don't have a horse in this race, but we should keep in mind that the people who do are consumers who volunteer their time to help. They aren't professionals paid to do this, but people who love jewelry and have their own opinions, tastes, and experiences. I'm always amazed both at how much help they give people who are often strangers and how skilled they are at finding good quality/good value stones and settings when given the right information and opportunity to do so.

PS is a great place if someone comes on and says: 'I need to get an engagement ring for my GF. She likes [references a specific style or shape of stone or answers enough questions to provide a clear idea] and my budget for ring and setting is $X.' People on RT do a phenomenal job in that kind of situation to find the best combination of a great stone and good quality setting. They also do a fabulous job when someone is looking for an upgrade or some other type of big jewelry purchase and are trying to figure out what they want for the amount of money they want to spend . They are also great at giving opinions on whether a particular stone is a great stone, and can evaluate the pros and cons of settings and CAD's, including the details most of us might not focus on.

Because these kinds of purchases involve a lot of money for the purchasers (whatever that amount might be) and are for very special events and milestones, my guess is that most people offering guidance limit their selections to vendors and designers who they've either purchased from themselves or have heard enough from others that they have confidence the stone/setting will be good. No one wants to recommend someone to a purchaser who ends up having a terrible experience. So people aren't going to be recommending every vendor or designer out there.

PS is not great at helping people whose budgets don't fit their wants. The people on RT are good, but they aren't magicians. PS was created to educate consumers about quality, especially cut, and how to get great jewelry through a new way of purchasing - online vendors. There is a bias toward quality because learning about what makes a diamond great is what drew us in the first place. For some buyers, a great cut and high-quality metalwork is not as important as other things and that's fine. We PS'ers love a great value, wiling to make informed decisions about color and clarity and size tradeoffs, but most of us are not willing to make significant compromises in quality for the sake of something bigger or more elaborate. It goes against what we learned here. So we're not going to be great resources if size is king or someone wants a $20,000 look for $5000 or $10,000.

And I'm not sure it makes sense to criticize volunteers who don't offer their services in exactly the way we might want. I'm grateful they're willing to do it at all.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm especially grateful for your thoughtful followups in this thread gypsy and rainwood.

This is a hot button issue for me. And rainwood - I love your comparison to shopping for the diamond itself!!
A few times I've attempted to steer potential customers away from having copies made, but I think I've done it entirely too heavy-handedly and the messages re. not asking a vendor to copy another vendor's custom work and not choosing a vendor who doesn't respect other vendors' intellectual property are lost in the smoke.

I will follow Gypsy's excellent example here for future attempts.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think we also need to keep in mind that many people won't understand the difference between a poorly cut stone and an ideal cut stone unless it's RIGHT IN THEIR FACE. Especially guys. The pear is a perfect example-unless they are holding them side by side they may think its dirty (many women NEVER clean their rings) and I can tell you based on my experience trying to educate the general Toronto public (I'm apart of a bartering/trading group) that they ALL LOVE their rings and many of them (one paid 5k for a Canadian .6ish carat not great cut ring) and they are all thrilled with their rings. So while we may not want someone to buy a poorly cut pear, round, etc that we are looking though it with PS eyes. We want the best value and cut while they may just be looking for size/value and it may NOT deminish the ring at all being a 'poorly crafted in comparison copy' by our standards but it's likely higher quality than they would have gotten from Kays or another similar chain.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock

distracts said:

Are people on here actually recommending that people get copied settings? Yeesh. I haven't been around RT much and when I have been, I've been looking at CAD threads or insurance threads so I haven't noticed that but jfc. I feel like a couple years ago when I was more active the reply if a style wasn't in budget was more like "your budget isn't going to be big enough to cover that, here are some alternate stock settings that are close enough."

I always think if you're on a budget, a stock setting from Stuller or Gabriel & Co or Bev K or whomever is best. Plenty of nice variety at good price points and reasonable quality that should hold up. There are plenty of "inspired by designer settings" ones that aren't exact rips. Not everything needs to be ~uber spectacular personally designed for you and hand engraved~ or whatever. (Plus, at least Gabriel & Co and Bev K will do a fair amount of customization if you ask, for not too terribly much money.)

My ring was a custom Gabriel and Co. I think is was still a bit of money (as most fine jewelry is of course) but if you go back in the thread it was pretty darn close to the inspiration and it fit a stone that was provided. And the jewelry shop that did it was locally owned and managed so everybody wins and my fiancé was happy and I'm happy. I love my ring and I'm so happy with it.

I also really like how you tried to help that person who tried to work with BE and copy a setting that looked clumsy and get them to do a more streamlined setting. I really hope they find a middle ground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am traveling and missed this whole thread, but I think there have been some great posts. I have never been bothered by inspired-by pieces as long as there were obvious changes and not just quality differences. But that ring DK posted the other day on IG was very obviously an attempt at a 100% copy of CVBs original design and I knew the second I saw it. I think Yssie has won me over to the view that I won't recommend him anymore. Not to mention, Erica saying he has ignored vendor communication for years asking him to stop!!! Like Gypsy said, I need to explain to people on RT why the work of the original designer is better when the design is an original one.

I will say that there is no comparison in copying an antique ring that has long been out of production and may have been copied many times. (I mean, people, Harry Winston didn't invent the halo! Small diamonds have surrounded a larger center stone for ages!) I have some antique Tiffany designs saved and use them in my own ring designs. That old thread about the person who had an attack because someone copied her 5 stone antique ring design was absurd. Totally and completely different than copying a current original design since the design wasn't hers in the first place (nor could the original designer be identified especially since they were likely dead and gone!).

I will say it is sad to not see new pieces due to copying issues, especially ROL's new ring. :(( I always show mine and have no problem with my vendor making another one like it (since they are designing it with my input), as no stones will be identical to mine anyway. But I absolutely do not think another PS vendor should be making exact copies of unique designs of another PS vendor. Hopefully discussions like this will make people think twice before even asking a vendor to make an exact copy of a current original design.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ha, there is another "inspired-by ring" on DK's IG from yesterday and when he is called out on it, DK posts "David Klass Jewelry takes very seriously any allegations of legal trademark infringements."

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1472595541|4071597 said:
Ha, there is another "inspired-by ring" on DK's IG from yesterday and when he is called out on it, DK posts "David Klass Jewelry takes very seriously any allegations of legal trademark infringements."

I just saw this. But I do have to admit that I dont see the one he just posted as a "copy" (unless I maybe haven't seen the design in question). The original post that started this thread was a flagrant replication of a very original design, whereas the one from yesterday (IMHO) is a take on a pretty common design, so I don't find it problematic. But obviously if I did miss someone else's design that is identical to this then ignore me :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1472597978|4071614 said:

I just saw this. But I do have to admit that I dont see the one he just posted as a "copy" (unless I maybe haven't seen the design in question). The original post that started this thread was a flagrant replication of a very original design, whereas the one from yesterday (IMHO) is a take on a pretty common design, so I don't find it problematic. But obviously if I did miss someone else's design that is identical to this then ignore me :)

Yeahhh... while CVB has a ring like that (well, the basket looks different to me), I've seen rings like that minus the milgrain on the prongs many times, and I'm not sure that milgrain on the prongs really qualifies as making it unique enough to be "an original design."

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know that when we copy an artists work it is not okay, e.g. the artist has spent years getting their skills and using their talent and someone comes along and takes a mould of it and sells it for a high price but puts no real work into it.

I wonder though if people doing this are not able to buy the designs they want as in high class designers are expensive, like those working for Tiffany, Cartier etc etc, so a copy which is not of good quality and is therefore not the real article is what satisfies them.
I know it is not right but it is not a good quality copy most times.

To play devils advocate here though, when buyers choose a 3 carat, J SI1 ideal cut stone for say $28,000 aren't they doing the same (minus the stealing a design), I mean they are replicating someone's diamond which was a 3 carat, F VS1 ideal cut diamond for $90,000.
Whilst this is nothing to do with stealing an artists work, it is stealing the dream of someone who worked very hard to achieve that ring and status and others are copying them so to speak. Yet that is seen as okay, and even these same people will write on here that they hate cold white stones and love warm stones, and that an SI1 is just as good as it is eye clean and that is all that matters. This is bound to offend those who paid a lot more and does see a difference in the diamond.

There are two sides to everything. Not only as above, but then someone comes and buys a 4 or 5 carat N or T colour and it is a huge diamond and as good as a 6 carat D Flawless etc. As I said those copies are maybe knock offs but they are not the same as the original anyway in the same way a low colored stone is not the same.

Yes and some say they prefer the lower color and they really do, but the fact is the D Flawless is worth a lot more and is up there with the Cartier ring designers work, nothing like the work for the masses.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some of the copied designs we would not see as a copy is because we do not have trained eyes to see the actual curves and angles that the original artist designer in a top house can. The work may be porous and the quality control not as good too, not saying it has to be but chances are, plus it was NOT made by that designer or that jeweller, platinumsmith with that provenance.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

]I know that when we copy an artists work it is not okay, e.g. the artist has spent years getting their skills and using their talent and someone comes along and takes a mould of it and sells it for a high price but puts no real work into it.

I wonder though if people doing this are not able to buy the designs they want as in high class designers are expensive, like those working for Tiffany, Cartier etc etc, so a copy which is not of good quality and is therefore not the real article is what satisfies them.
I know it is not right but it is not a good quality copy most times.

To play devils advocate here though, when buyers choose a 3 carat, J SI1 ideal cut stone for say $28,000 aren't they doing the same (minus the stealing a design), I mean they are replicating someone's diamond which was a 3 carat, F VS1 ideal cut diamond for $90,000.
Whilst this is nothing to do with stealing an artists work, it is stealing the dream of someone who worked very hard to achieve that ring and status and others are copying them so to speak. Yet that is seen as okay, and even these same people will write on here that they hate cold white stones and love warm stones, and that an SI1 is just as good as it is eye clean and that is all that matters. This is bound to offend those who paid a lot more and does see a difference in the diamond.

There are two sides to everything. Not only as above, but then someone comes and buys a 4 or 5 carat N or T colour and it is a huge diamond and as good as a 6 carat D Flawless etc. As I said those copies are maybe knock offs but they are not the same as the original anyway in the same way a low colored stone is not the same.

Yes and some say they prefer the lower color and they really do, but the fact is the D Flawless is worth a lot more and is up there with the Cartier ring designers work, nothing like the work for the masses.

I'm not following this analogy at all.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1472600760|4071632 said:

What????

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's been awhile since I've been here, but since I am, I'll throw in my 2 cents...

My 2 cents really haven't changed all that much. Not talking about actual copyrighted/designer stuff, but just taking a design they see here and copying the ring....

Basically, I'm like, whatever, go for it. If you don't want it copied, don't post it.

Probably in most of the previous historical threads, I said that without having a ring that was copied. Now I have a ring that was copied twice to my knowledge - and it was pretty much a "make this ring exactly" kind of thing. Once was with my (unnecessary) permission, and once I didn't know about it until I randomly came to SMTB one day. One was copied by Singlestone (so apparently he really doesn't have an issue with doing it, which is kind of funny since people say it's not right to copy Singlestone) and the other copied by ERD. I've met Ari, and have done business with Mark (who I really enjoyed working with). I have zero issue with either.

My ring was the culmination of years of participating here and with the help of many PSers input. Plus it wasn't some copyrighted design....Octagon halos have been around for a long time. Was it somewhat unique in that a ring like it hadn't been seen round these parts before? Probably. I posted tons of pics of my ring as a thank you to the community to share the happiness.

I've seen that ring on pinterest and other forums. I really don't care who copies it, or what designer makes at attempt. It's not a truly unique design, or copyrighted, so the arguments on this thread don't apply to it. All I know is that I never pursued another ring project after that ring...it's the perfect ring that looks perfect on my hand - the perfect end to my PS ring journey. And with all due respect, I love the proportions of my ring more than the other versions I've seen, so I've yet to see my ring copied "exactly."

Finally, the owners of the copies love their rings, so that makes me happy too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1472599793|4071629 said:
lovedogs|1472597978|4071614 said:

Yeahhh... while CVB has a ring like that (well, the basket looks different to me), I've seen rings like that minus the milgrain on the prongs many times, and I'm not sure that milgrain on the prongs really qualifies as making it unique enough to be "an original design."

I just said it was "inspired by", never said it was a copy. My purpose in making the post was to show DK's quote about taking allegations of trademark infringements seriously when Erica has posted that those kinds of communications to him had been ignored.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know that if there is a lawsuit about a copyright infringement it will relate to the USA only here, but I just want to add that many times I have seen people writing about a design or saying it is unusual and although it is among the designs we see here on Pricescope, there have been times, I have thought well I have seen that many times in many different forms in the UK. So although our diamonds are usually smaller, we do seem to have more designs over here in some way, maybe because the focus has been on the design more. I also noticed years ago before all these handforged expensive rings became popular, that the cast rings and price of gold on Pricescope was much more expensive than in the UK. I have seen before when what you call bypass rings are discussed as being unusual or they were back a few years when they were popular that many of them were just common in the UK, but we didn't call them bypass rings, we called them crossover rings. These crossover rings are still popular over here but are now called twist rings. :twirl:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

soxfan|1472602985|4071657 said:
Pyramid|1472600760|4071632 said:

What????

Yes soxfan you read it correctly I think. What?????!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.antiquejewellerycompany.com/jewellery-type/antique-rings/antique-engagement-rings/?

Here you go, lots of styles and these are antique there are thousands or millions of modern styles over in the UK too. No design is unique unless it is through the lines of a very good artist designer who would work at the likes of Harry Winston etc. Sort of like a jewellery version of Picasso or Leonardo Da Vinci. These rings are high priced and a copy never does them justice at all. Look how many tries it has taken to try to replicate the classic tiffany solitaire and years ago people were saying that one of the dealers had the best one, then it became Vatche and now I hear people saying about another may be cvb's design. So it can't be done really to come up to the standards of the real tiffany and the same with others and especially unusual designs.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I notice that most of those antique rings look pretty lower colored, the diamonds look like they have a grey undertone mostly rather than yellow, or they are poor cut. It looks nothing like the bright white diamonds you see on sites with modern rings.

http://www.antiquejewellerycompany....um-diamond-daisy-cluster-ring-3/#.V8YxVYWcH4g
Cannot see this one as being a VVS1 either, large feather/s in centre stone.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock

distracts|1472532130|4071359 said:

This is true. Everything must be ~perfect~ or it is not good enough. I admit I have experienced feelings like my engagement ring isn't good enough because it is cast from a local jeweler and my sapphire isn't precision cut and the exact ideal color. No one has said anything directly (and I don't think anyone would!) but when you see certain things advocated for over and over again, you start to feel like anything else is lesser. When you throw in the level of judgment to someone shopping for an engagement ring for the first time... it's no wonder they feel the pressure. They want to not only get it right but to go above and beyond, and Pricescopers usually have a pretty narrow idea of what that is.

I feel compelled to respectfully disagree with this. PS isn't (at least to my mind) supposed to be a democratic forum where people are made to feel good about their jewelry no matter what it is, or indeed one where subpar (or unknown) vendors are recommended. PS is a place to learn about the best stones and the most perfect settings. So yes: PSers are about perfection (although that certainly doesn't mean that all of us can attain perfection).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results