shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have a house (yet???) but I have done (you wouldn't believe how much) research on 100s of kitchen finishes in person, including cabinet types, and appliances. Plus I've been lucky enough to have apartments with higher end kitchen finishes and it's been really eye opening. I just enjoy doing research on home stuff, it makes the fact that I don't have a home of my own more bearable.

Now, I have to preface this by saying, most people who cook largely American food do not have the same issues I do. But I have learned, the hard way, that even quartz, which is supposed to be completely worry free is not with Persian cooking. Tumeric will stain ANYTHING and everything in the lighter color shades.

It honestly got so bad that I went to 4 high end kitchen reno places here and got samples of all kinds of countertop materials in different colors and I can tell you NOTHING: not quartzite (which I adore as well, and is a NATURAL stone, not an engineered), not quartz, NO countertop in white or cream is stain proof to saffron, tumeric and beet juice if you leave the stuff on there (like you would if you missed a stain while cooking) for too long.

No matter what the claims of the brand/product, they ALL stained. Quartzite also etches easily with acid and the stuff is really expensive to boot.

I've done this for both flooring and for counters. I have gotten samples (lots of them like 10-15 at a time. Like John was like... do I need to worry about you??) and I put them through hell. And it is really eye opening. So I highly recommend that with counters you get samples of materials you want and you put a bunch of stuff on them (red wine, fresh lemon and lime juice, vinegar, and for me Tumeric, beet juice, and saffron) and see how they hold up. Leave the stuff on there for a couple days, then rinse off.

I adore white counters. But I have come to the realization that they are a bad choice for heavy cooking unless you are like one of my aunts who does a deep kitchen clean every single night and wipes everything down the minute she stops cooking (before serving).

I adore white/off white shaker cabinets. They are so classic, and to me they fit a beach home. But if you look at that kitchen of your friend, they have a HEAVY grey veining which is providing contrast to all the white and keeping the kitchen from looking to sterile. I think that's key. So if you go for white, I recommend something with heavy veining on the counters or a non-white backsplash to break up the white. For being such a modern kitchen, that one is really well done, it could have been cold, but it's not at all.

I personally (if I ever get the chance to own a home) plan to do mostly grey quartz counters. Grey is MUCH more cooking friendly and doesn't show stains which makes it more durable for me.

As for flooring. I hate grout too plus tile is, as Rainwood pointed out, SUPER hard underfoot. I worry about real or engineered wood in the kitchen because I've had too many kitchen floods. So I personally really like (don't think I'm crazy) luxury vinyl tile that looks like tile, but isn't. It's less expensive, wears really well, and you can avoid grout. PLUS it is actually SOFT underfoot compared to both tile and wood. At John's work they just installed some in the elevators because it is so hard wearing and it is BEAUTIFUL and has no grout and it is NOTICEABLY softer than the "real" wood and tile floors in the hallways and lobby. I was really impressed. (The current building he manages has all seriously high end finishes: real walnut and marble floors in the lobby, huge slabs of white marble everywhere, the kitchens are all high quality quartz in white--- that I've managed to stain already 5 months in). http://www.mannington.com/Residential/LuxuryVinylSheet/Search?FilterCollections=1 This is the stuff his complex used (well, they used the commercial version).

Personally, if tomorrow I got to pick my dream kitchen I would probably do a really nice artisan Fireclay Tile backsplash in Morning Fog (they will mail you 5 tiles free. I ordered three of them in this color to see the variation and the tile is just breathtaking): https://d3siv8xtlksu0x.cloudfront.net/assets/content/cache/made/assets/content/cache/remote/https_s3.amazonaws.com/fireclaytile/blog/Fireplace__Foggy_Morning_with_Black_Patine__Installation__Malcolm_Fearon-Bliss_Images_-_All_Rights_Reserved__Photographer-Credit__Residential_1049_700_600_400_84_int.jpg

I would do shaker cabinets like you are doing. I would pick a warm white color instead of one that is too cold.

And I would do a nice grey quartz on anything that is near the stove or sink. And if I had an island that had nothing on it (no sink, no stove, just a flat surface), I'd might do a white quartzite with veining similar to your friend's kitchen and clean it like it was a surgical surface. More likely, if I went with white I'd do quartz because while it isn't perfect it is still much more forgiving than white natural stone of any kind.

I would do black cabinet hardware. And black lanterns over the island. Because I think black is classic, it is low maintenance (though it does need dusting) and you can get very nice quality 'budget' hardware and lanterns in black that still have a high end look. The other metals I like (brass or copper) cost the earth and are much higher maintenance.

The key for me with kitchens is that I don't want something that will age in ten years. I want something very classic that will stand the test of time. But I don't want a 'cold' kitchen. I don't want it to look like a chemists lab. I want it to be the center of the home, and warm and inviting. I would personally do luxury vinyl wood plank flooring. The stuff from Mannigton (look into it) is BEAUTIFUL in person. http://www.mannington.com/Residential/LuxuryVinylSheet/Wood/Newport/130192 And it would survive kitchen flooding and is relatively soft underfoot. Which is my key criteria.

Oh and regarding stainless appliances. There are many 'smudge proof' versions of stainless out now. They are MUCH better options than the regular stainless. Finger prints drive me batty.

But we do heavy cooking most night of the week. Most people don't.

One other fact about white counters. Paw prints. OMG. I can't tell you how many times a day I wipe down all the white quartz counters in this apartment (all the counters including the bathroom are white quartz). I have HUGE Costco packs of Clorox wipes everywhere and I go through at least 5 a day to keep the paw prints off the counters.

Yes, it would be lovely to keep the cats off the counters. But Duncan is my only cat who doesn't go on the counters. All the other b*stards stomp all over them.

Of course, now, no matter what color my counters are I'm going to be wiping them down obsessively because I will KNOW that the paw prints are there even if I can't see them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Rainwood, I'm sorry you have been in an unmotivated funk. Does it count that I have just been unmotivated? When it is hot like this I don't have much ambition to get anything done so I haven't done a thing. Except visit my friend who is sick and prepare lunches for the week. That's it. I hope you get your groove back soon and that you are not feeling down. You just came back from a fantastic trip of a lifetime so I think it is perfectly understandable to feel a bit out of sorts and sad that this adventure is over. There will be more adventures! Cannot wait to see the rest of your Norway photos. But no pressure! On your own time and only if you feel like it. (((HUGS))).

WOW, you gave me excellent advice re the kitchens, thank you! Thank you for the detail and I have learned a few things so please feel free to continue sharing your kitchen thoughts. I like it when you spew. :bigsmile: I am responding to what you wrote below my reply to Gypsy.

Gyspy, YAY for getting some good news!!!!Really exciting and hopeful news and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and John. Hope the interview goes well for you and they realize how lucky they would be to have you work for them even temporarily and that you can get health insurance! And I am impressed your therapist cares and is willing to work pro bono to help you. And hoping John gets the job he is so well suited for and that it all starts falling into place. :appl: Sending out lots and lots of good luck vibes and good thoughts your way. (((HUGS))).

Thank you for all your excellent kitchen advice and info! More detail about what you told me above and thank you again so much. I just know one day you will have your dream home and your dream kitchen!

Once again thank you Rainwood and Gypsy for all your hard earned and researched kitchen advice. I appreciate you so generously sharing it with me. More of my thoughts below.

We have dark hardwood floors at the beach house and at the Brooklyn apartment lighter wood floors and they are so much easier to keep clean and just don't show all the cat hair and litter dust (gross I know but yeah my cats track litter everywhere LOL). I would LOVE to redo the beach floors to the wide plank lighter wood you were describing and in fact I have lamented that fact to Greg many times. I know it would be very expensive though as our house is not a mansion but it is not small either. About 3500 sq feet of redoing all the floors from dark to light and wide plank. So that is why I was thinking of just carrying what we have already to the kitchen floors. I agree also about tile and harder materials like stone. Too tough on the back and Greg already has some back issues so I wouldn't switch to that flooring though I did momentarily think about a white non grout flooring I would stick with hardwood.

Gypsy, thank you for the links and for that luxury vinyl flooring option. I am going to go over that with Greg and who knows maybe that will work for us aesthetically and functionally! And thank you for the link re backsplashes. I like some of those options and great that they will allow you 5 samples to be mailed. Thank you!

Yeah my cats are always on our counters and I feed them there too. I am a bad mommy in that I let them do whatever they want to do. They rule our household and I am OK with that. :lol: And I too have huge Costco lysol wipes that I have in every room and whip it out and clean up after the kitties. Thank you for the smudge proof stainless idea. I am not sure they are offered in the appliances we are thinking of getting but I now have it on my radar so thank you for that and if possible that will be the way to go.

As for the dust accumulating at the horizontal line on the shaker cabinets yup that drives me nuts even with the natural not stained maple wood cabinets we have in Brooklyn. But not nuts enough not to get white. And thank you for that info re the wood shrinking etc and pulling away. I am going to check out our cabinets here and see if I can see that happening. Something to think about. In Brooklyn we carried the Shaker frame to all the drawers and cabinets and it seems to work. We don't have any small drawers per se though and I think I understand what you are saying re small drawers. I like symmetry very much so leaning towards carrying it through at the beach but I will keep an eye out for smaller drawers. I have to take a photo of our Brooklyn kitchen but not now as it is still very dark out.

We have honed black granite in Brooklyn and I know what you mean about fingerprints and what Gypsy was saying about cats paw prints and I know with lighter stone counters it will show up that much more but I say bring it because I hate our beach counters now that hide everything. I loathe the granite beige print where you just cannot see the dirt. I want to see the dirt so I can attack it! Like Gypsy's aunt I wipe everything down after we prepare dinner before we serve so hopefully I would catch any staining before it sets. But Gypsy thank you for making me aware that even white quartz/quartzite/ etc can stain. Greg uses lots of turmeric and other things that will stain. He loves spices.

That warm gray marble you fell in love with sounds beautiful and I love gray in general but for the beach house I want to stick with white though I know it is impractical. I just need more brightness and light in there. I forgot to talk about backslashes and I will probably do something similar to what we have already in Brooklyn and what we had at our former beach house in Sea Girt. Blue/Green glass tiles to bring in some interest and color. I am a big fan of Ann Sacks in Soho and that is where we got our kitchen backsplash here so maybe we will revisit that store.

As for cabinet pulls I feel ya because I learned the same thing on our doors in Brooklyn where I (Queen Klutz) kept catching my clothing and getting bruised. Ouch. I prefer a clean and minimal look for kitchen hardware anyway so will be again doing something similar to Brooklyn and it won't be shiny or large like our friends hardware.

We are probably going to go with a drawer microwave instead of what we have now which is above the stove as I am always getting in Greg's way when he is cooking and I need the microwave. LOL it is like the house hunter shows when the couple is showing how they keep getting in each others way. So we need to keep the microwave away from the stove. We have a convection microwave that Greg actually likes using for the convection ability so probably going to try getting another in a drawer option. I don't think we have the space for a double oven however Rainwood and Greg used to want one but now he tells me he doesn't think he needs that now. But I was pushing for him to get a double oven. Whatever he feels would be best for him since he is the chef but I will explore that further with him.

Thank you also for all that detailed sink info. I read it to Greg too hope you don't mind as everything you and Gypsy are sharing is really helpful. I always hated how filthy and germy kitchen sinks are. Yuk. :knockout: We are going with a single sink not at the island as that suits our needs best but I was deciding b/w regular large deep sink like we have now in Brooklyn or white farm sink. Still not sure and we need to visit some showrooms to see more of them to decide which would work best for us. I am embarrassed to admit this but Greg does all the big pots/pans/sheets etc clean up (as well as the cooking which you already know) so that is why I am not sure which would be best.

Greg is letting me choose everything pretty much because though we have already gutted and redone 2 kitchens I didn't have much of an opinion on either aside from getting our Subzero (which might not have been the best choice but that's for another day) since at that it was one of the only (perhaps only at the time in 2003) counter depth fridges and now we have more of a choice.

However now Greg is willing to "let" me get my all white kitchen that I wanted back in 2003! About time. :halo: I don't care about trends but it does (only a little bit) annoy me that now white kitchens are so popular and back in 2003 white kitchens were not all the rage. So the fact that dark hardwood is out doesn't bother me but I would prefer the lighter wide plank floors. I am going to see how expensive it would be to redo the whole house with wide plank but I am fairly certain it would cost too much and I cannot have it eat too much into my kitchen budget. Greg and I differ on how much we think the kitchen redo will cost and my estimate is much higher and I think I am more correct. We don't have a large space but it is still going to cost more than Greg thinks! But if it is in the budget I would LOVE replacing all our hardwood. It shows dust and litter all the time and I have to vacuum obsessively with our 4 kitties shedding and carrying litter all around. The plus side is I see all (most) of the dirt and I like that so it is easier to clean.

Sharon, welcome back. I adore Vancouver and Victoria and I think I wrote about it here before how I used to want to retire there but I think you or Rainwood told me something that made me realize that dream wouldn't happen. I know it's very expensive to live in Victoria. So glad you had a great vacation and that you enjoy the heat. I OTOH am not enjoying the heat we have been having this summer but I know when it is bitter cold out with snow all over I will be missing these hot summer days. :cheeky:

Junie, what is happening with your mom and her release from rehab? I hope you have good news to share with us and that you can go to SC for a long holiday getaway. Hoping it is going well with your mom. (((HUGS))).

Hope all you girls are doing well and having a good week. Yesterday we got back here and everything was working woohoo. I visited J yesterday for the rest of the day until Greg got home and the day went fast. It was a productive visit with J as I set her up with food delivery services and just spent the time doing stuff for her and not just sitting there keeping her company so that was a good visit. And only Theo came out the whole time to visit with me (and he was quite demanding in getting my attention which was fine with me haha) and I snapped a photo of him later in the day. I think Zeke is pissed at me cause he didn't say hi the whole day. Oh well. I only brushed him for his own good yanno? Boy can cats hold a grudge. ::)
Here is Theo yesterday. What a sweet baby.
theosweetbaby.jpg

We are off to the dentist this morning and I cannot wait for that appointment to be over and hopefully for both of us not to need any dental work. Will be back later in the afternoon if I can. Have a good day! :wavey:

Attaching 2 photos of our Brooklyn kitchen that I already have in my files. And one of our Sea Girt kitchen. Our previous beach house. The front panel is not yet finished in this pic but it is the only one I have. It was the reno in progress in the Sea Girt kitchen. Both kitchens we redid from scratch. Not sure you can see enough details but just to give you an idea.

OK just found a photo of our current beach house kitchen as it pretty much is now. Last photo. This kitchen is all from the previous owners and we have done nothing in this kitchen besides painting the walls blue and the dark ceiling white. It is so beige and that is pretty much my least favorite color of all time. I do not like beige and this whole kitchen from backsplash cabinets and counter is beige. I dislike everything about this kitchen including the fridge gap here. Drives me nuts. :knockout:

If it is OK when I am next at the beach house I want to take photos and ask you girls for more advice re decorating the living room. We are having lots of trouble with that room and Greg wants to hire a designer but I think we can get better advice from you girls because you have such a great eye(s)! Anyway if it is OK with you I would like to do that. ::)

kitchen.jpeg

kitchen_diningroom.jpeg

seagirtkitchen.jpeg

beachhousekitchen.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found a more recent Sea Girt kitchen photo where most of it was finished.

seagirtkitchen1.jpeg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My computer is on strike today so I'm freaking out! Have not backed up all my work or pictures or anything this summer... Will get back to you re kitchens and everything else! Gypsy! Things are looking much brighter already! I have spent the whole day shopping whilst waiting for IT.. going home now before my credit card starts to smoke. ..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs.

Junebug, I am glad your sister can stay there and visit your mom so you can go to SC. The long term care facility is near you? That will make it nice. I am having a nice time. Will you be near Myrtle Beach? I hope you have a nice relaxing time.

Rainwood, nice pictures of Norway. You sure saw a lot of beautiful and wonderful things.

LLJsmom, that's good and bad you didn't find anything you wanted to buy. I think I like the thrill of shopping and hunting for things more than I enjoy having them. What day is your birthday?

Scandinavian sorry the fur baby is keeping all of you awake. Hopefully she gets better soon. Thanks for the jokes ideas. I do that computer screen flip to myself at work frequently but I know how to get it back.

Gypsy, mega dust coming for Johns job. Glad you are doing better.

Missy, such fun to be exploring and thinking about ideas for your kitchen.

Sharon, glad you had a nice vacation.

Off to the store.

Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

We had a day away from the chaos today. Went for a ride, walked down a pier and looked around had lunch on the bay and picked up stuff for lasagna. Marty is brewing supper right now. We also shopped in a nice local gift store and bought a few things. I did check out a local jewelry store but didn't see anything I liked.

Laters
Marcy

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Temp job required level of Excel proficiency I don't have. Don't think I got it.

John was admitted to hospital today. Out of respect for privacy not going to post details, but it they are running tests and don't know how long he'll be in here.

Damn you Murphy, find someone else to have your fun with. Trump has karma coming...have at it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I'm sendung tons of dust to you and John. I'm so hoping you have good news tomorrow about his health. Take a deep breath Sweetheart and please know we are all here for you. i am so sorry honey. Hugs, hugs and more hugs. Callie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1472602667|4071654 said:
Gypsy, I'm sendung tons of dust to you and John. I'm so hoping you have good news tomorrow about his health. Take a deep breath Sweetheart and please know we are all here for you. i am so sorry honey. Hugs, hugs and more hugs. Callie

Thank you Callie. I am worried about him. And I am worried he will lose his job if this turns out to be an extended thing. He has only been with this company since March, so his leave would not be protected and this company sucks.

And we rent from the company. So if he lost his job we would lose our lease.

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to fall.

I cried for 2 hours today.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1472601643|4071642 said:
Temp job required level of Excel proficiency I don't have. Don't think I got it.

John was admitted to hospital today. Out of respect for privacy not going to post details, but it they are running tests and don't know how long he'll be in here.

Damn you Murphy, find someone else to have your fun with. Trump has karma coming...have at it.

Gypsy, my heart is with you and John. Let me know if I can do anything. Seriously.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy I so feel for you hon. Some of what you are going through just reminds me of what we went through a couple of years ago. My husband was out of work (between contracts if we're being polite) his mother was ill, his father was desperately lonely without his wife; there were nemerous other large things happening that weren't great. DH ferryed his father every day to see his mother over a three month period. The concept we came up with during this period of time was "balls in the air". We didn't know how things would resolve themselves we just knew that they would. The balls would land, we didn't know how or when but they would land and we could go on from there. Things did resove although not as we'd have liked. My mother in law died. DH got a job as soon as his responsibilities with ferrying his Dad around to hospital and nursing home ended. It was rather remarkable. No mater how your balls drop I hope the wonderful Gyspy and her husband can pick up and continue.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I'm so sorry. You and John are in our thoughts, and we are here for you if you need to talk about it.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Gypsy! You so did not deserve this! You must have at least 20 years of good luck coming your way when you are out of this stupid tunnel! All my best - S

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I am so very sorry. We are here for you and keeping you and John in our thoughts.
If there is anything else any of us can do please don't hesitate to ask.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to stop in today just to say hi and just saw Gypsy's post.

I'm so sorry to hear about John Gypsy.

And the job.

It seems never ending lately. :blackeye:

I hope Duncan is OK.

I hope everyone else is doing OK too.

Sending everyone hugs and a hello.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Gypsy, I am just so sorry you and John are having all these issues, I'm hoping he's ok and it turns out to be nothing too serious. Try your best to just deal with what's going on right now and not look too far into the future, just so you don't get too overwhelmed or panicky. Trust me, I know this is much easier said than done and it's not always even possible but all we can do is try. I truly wish there was more I could do for you, but I and all your PS friends are here for you to lend support and comfort whenever you need it. ((((hugs))))

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, big big dust to John and to you. Hang on. Cry whenever you feel it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs.

Gypsy, sending get better dust to John. Please keep us posted.

Hi Callie, LLJsmom, Rainwood, Scandi, Kristie, CJ and Missy!

Polished, sorry you went through all that but as you said the best you can do is wait until it all settles and figure it out.

Marty had to work several hours today. The young adults are oblivious to other people and took over the sitting room with movies running off the people looking for quiet. I had to tell them Marty was on a conference call.

We bought a big bottle of Baileys yesterday so we could all have a shot last night and the same oblivious people drank the entire bottle making White Russians. WTH? I am so over 2 weeks in one house with extended family. I tried to reduce my stress by eating a mini cupcake, a cinnamon roll and a Snickers ice cream bar. My MIL and I had those for a snack.

Marty and his sister are at the gym. I can't get the TV back from the hookup to the nephews computer. I wanted to watch news. Grr.

Laters.
Marcy

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom, Thank you, my friend. I will let you know. Right now there really isn't much of anything anyone can do, unfortunately, including me. But if there is, I will reach out, I promise. Even if it is just to talk. Right now, I'm just feeling talked out (talked to my therapist for an hour on the phone).

Polished, My condolences on your MIL's passing. And I am sorry you went through a period like this too. It is, unfortunately, just life. Ups and downs; for better or worse. I know that. But when you are in the down, as you know, perspective is hard to find. I just pray things do not get worse. Because they could, easily. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Thank you Rainwood, Missy, Marcy and Scandi, CJ, Junebug, and Azstone. Right now I'd take a week of good fortune, not even GREAT fortune, just enough to stabilize life. Doctor has not been in yet to see him. Just in a holding pattern for now.

((HUGS TO YOU ALL)). And I promise I will reach out if when and if its necessary.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With all that's going on, I think it's time for a little beauty in our lives. Welcome back to the wonderfulness of Norway:

The town of Lillehammer, site of the 1994 Winter Olympics. You can seek the ski jumps up on the left:

Lillehammer is also where the Maihausen Open-Air Folk Museum is located. A wealthy man decided he should step in to save some of the historic old Norwegian buildings so brought them from all over the country to one place so they could be preserved and enjoyed in an absolutely gorgeous natural setting:

_38131.jpg

dsc02056.jpg

dsc02119.jpg

dsc02143.jpg

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of the buildings now preserved at Maihausen is an old stave church like this one:

Many of the Norwegian churches have ships hanging in them because so many of the people wen to sea:

Much of what they used, they made themselves:

_38132.jpg

dsc02066.jpg

_38134.jpg

dsc02253.jpg

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And now I'm amping it up a bit:

Also at Maihausen:

And what may be one of my favorite photos of the whole trip for reasons I can't explain:

Almost everywhere we went, we were surrounded by Mother Nature at her finest. In the mountains:

And the valleys:

I'll do more tomorrow.

dsc02164.jpg

dsc02159.jpg

_38133.jpg

dsc02377.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls.

Rainwood, gorgeous scenery. I love your favorite photo too. It's so peaceful. With the reflection of the cabins in the pond, the green grass and the tall trees. Serene. Wow I cannot believe how lon ago the Olympics were held in Lillehammer. Feels like not that long ago. Beautiful mountain and valley scenery. Thank you for continuing to post your photos. I am really enjoying them.

Hi CJ, hope you are well.

Marcy, I hope you are having a nice time despite the inconsiderate family members. Sorry Marty had to work a few hours yesterday but hope it went well despite the noisy young adults and I would let your nephew know he cannot hog the tv with his computer hook up. I cannot believe they finished the whole bottle of Baileys before you got to enjoy it. Grrrrr. And boo to WHite Russians. Have you ever tried Mudslides? I remember enjoying those with Bailey's Irish Creme. But it's been decades. Hope the rest of your vacation improves and you get some more alone time with Marty.

Junie, so glad you got to go to South Carolina and hoping your mom is doing OK and settling in to her new long term care facility and holding steady. Know she is in good hands with your sister there taking care of her. Enjoy a little bit of time away- you deserve it and your mom is in good hands. Keeping her in my thoughts and sending good vibes to all of you.

Gypsy, how is John doing? I hope he is well and that everything is OK. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and sending more healing dust to John and you. (((HUGS))).

Yesterday didn't go very well at work but it's not worth talking about with so many more important issues going on so just wanted to say I hope today is a better day for everyone and as always I am keeping good thoughts for all you girls. Have a good Thursday and ((((hugs)))).

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello :wavey:

Good news: I just got my pc back and working!! Soooo nice :) So I hope that can be a signal to the universe that the fortune for all the NIRDIs have changed and should be good from now on!

Many many hugs to you all! Please let me know if there is anything I can do Gypsy. Missy, fingers crossed for a good day! Marcy, please please start making some practical jokes with youknowwho in the receiving end. Rainwood, oh I'm so glad that you got to see Maihaugen! Such a nice and special place!

- S

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better Things
The Kinks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXioctDPGn0

Here's wishing you the bluest sky,
And hoping something better comes tomorrow.
Hoping all the verses rhyme,
And the very best of choruses to
Follow all the doubt and sadness.
I know that better things are on the way.
Here's hoping all the days ahead
Won't be as bitter as the ones behind you.
Be an optimist instead,
And somehow happiness will find you.
Forget what happened yesterday,
I know that better things are on the way.
It's really good to see you rocking out
And having fun,
Living like you just begun.
Accept your life and what it brings.
I hope tomorrow you'll find better things.
I know tomorrow you'll find better things.
Here's wishing you the bluest sky,
And hoping something better comes tomorrow.
Hoping all the verses rhyme

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi girls -

Missy, I'm glad your visit with J went well and you were able to assist her with some things, I'm sure it helped her out a lot. Love the pic of her kitty, he's precious.

I enjoyed seeing the pics of your friend's kitchen and living room - their style is a bit modern for my taste but everything is very beautifully and tastefully done, it all looks lovely. I love the choices you made renovating both your kitchens, absolutely beautiful, I love your style. I could happily move right in to either one lol.

Rainwood, I'm loving the amazing pics of your trip - love the pics of Oslo and Norway, such beautiful buildings and an interesting mix of old and new. The pics of the scenery are breathtakingly beautiful. Love the pics of the mountains and the valley. The preserved buildings are so picturesque and a fascinating glimpse into the past.

LLJsmom, I hear you on getting another year older, but is it any consolation that you look 25? lol. The big 6-0 is getting closer for me and I'm not particularly looking forward to that but it helps to remind myself of the positives - basically that I'm healthy and can still do some stuff haha.

Scandi, such a cute pic of your doggie wrapped in the coat!

Marcy, boo to everyone drinking the Bailey's, although I have to admit I loved White Russians back in the day lol. Sorry the family is getting on your nerves, but I hope you can block it out and just enjoy your time off from work and appreciate the nice things about being on vacation. I'm outside of Charleston, and about 2 and a half hours from Myrtle beach. Maybe someday I can drive up and meet you while you're on one of your vacations!

Sharon, glad to hear you had a great vacation, and got a chance to enjoy the warm weather that you love.

Gypsy, continuing to keep you and John in my thoughts, I hope he's doing ok. Big hugs to you.

I'm in SC right now - nice to get away but I don't know, it sounds like my mother has declined even more in the 2 days I've been here - kind of hard to relax under the circumstances - honestly, we'd just go home but (and I know this sounds stupid) my son is scheduled to come Friday night and spend the weekend and I'd feel bad disappointing him - he's been working so hard and has been looking forward to coming. My family has had to make sacrifices since I've been caring for my mother these past 5 years and I feel bad about it. Not sure if I'm overreacting by going home - the whole thing is a mess and in hindsight we shouldn't have even come. I'm calling my sister later and I'll decide after I hear how my mother is doing today. I know I can't change whatever is going to happen with my mother, but I just can't really be at peace here either so I might as well be home. Thanks for letting me vent and for listening!

Take care all, and have a good day

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1472742249|4072232 said:
Hi girls -

I'm in SC right now - nice to get away but I don't know, it sounds like my mother has declined even more in the 2 days I've been here - kind of hard to relax under the circumstances - honestly, we'd just go home but (and I know this sounds stupid) my son is scheduled to come Friday night and spend the weekend and I'd feel bad disappointing him - he's been working so hard and has been looking forward to coming. My family has had to make sacrifices since I've been caring for my mother these past 5 years and I feel bad about it. Not sure if I'm overreacting by going home - the whole thing is a mess and in hindsight we shouldn't have even come. I'm calling my sister later and I'll decide after I hear how my mother is doing today. I know I can't change whatever is going to happen with my mother, but I just can't really be at peace here either so I might as well be home. Thanks for letting me vent and for listening!

Take care all, and have a good day

How are things Miss JB? :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1472674364|4071985 said:
LLJsmom, Thank you, my friend. I will let you know. Right now there really isn't much of anything

((HUGS TO YOU ALL)). And I promise I will reach out if when and if its necessary.

Healing vibes across the miles Gypsy. :saint:

kind regards, Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
John's home. But ...long story. Not out of woods yet. Will know more either tomorrow or early next week. Thank you very much for all for the support. ((Hugs))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls and happy Labor Day Weekend!

Junie, I understand how you feel about not wanting to disappoint your son yet wanting to be home with your sister for your mom. I hope your mom improved overnight and you can stay in SC and spend some time with your son this weekend. No matter the decision your family will understand and they love you. (((HUGS))). Wishing you peace and contentment and hoping things start improving very soon.

Thanks for the nice words about our kitchens. I am still happy with our Brooklyn kitchen though we renovated over 12 years ago now. It still feels fresh to me and I still like our choices. Once we renovate our beach house kitchen I am hoping we will be done renovating for a very long time. I am excited to do it but I am not looking forward to the process sure to be filled with inevitable aggravation and mistakes as most renovations are. We were very fortunate when redoing our other kitchens as for the most part it all went super smoothly. Unfortunately our previous contractor is not located near our beach house or I would hire him again in a heartbeat. We have to find someone who is trustworthy and capable.

Gypsy, that is wonderful news about John and I am continuing to think good thoughts for you both. Hoping more good news comes your way about health and work and that you have a good weekend.

Scandi, thanks for sharing some good news yesterday and looking forward to hearing more happy updates.

Hey there Sharon, glad you enjoyed a lovely vacation and it is so nice to "see" you back here. Hope the rest of your summer goes well.

Marcy, hope the rest of your time at the beach house with family goes smoothly. And that all storms are missing your area.

We are heading to the beach house soon and as some of you may know there is a storm heading this way whose name is Hermine.
Hoping everyone in its path stays safe and it ends up not being a big deal and doesn't cause damage or flooding. Fingers crossed. Sandy still feels like a short time ago and fresh in our memories. Hugs to you all girls and hope your weekend is a good one. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results