shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 more. Tommy can be quite the contortionist and I wish I could more easily share videos here. He is a beautiful baby in every way. They all are of course but just sharing Tommy today. :halo: Thanks for looking. :kiss:

tommyroaringfiercely.jpg

tommyfierceyetsweet.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stopped by the the vet and got some galastop for Furbaby and headed for the mountains :) Will try to make her run it off and get her mind on something else! Vet said it was a good plan :)

20160827_180050.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I'm thinking of you. Missy, all problems are problems! Marcy, suggest you go on strike, just wash your dishes and leave the rest. :Up_to_something:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much guys. I am feeling a little better today. I think just being able to vent honestly made a difference for me. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THAT.

Missy, thank you so much for talking to Greg about it. It was actually the Benefit's coordinator that actually vetoed the appeal, if you can believe it. I can't go into detail here without losing my temper. But yeah, hot mess. I am going to report it to CA's insurance board/commission/thingy. The whole thing is fishy.

But in the meantime, Covered California.

There may be a temp job in the offing. I spoke to the hiring manager yesterday and they need a few people ASAP. So I am hoping that something ANYTHING comes of that, because that would be a rope of hope in the quicksand that is my life right now.

I bought a lottery ticket. I've been too hopeless to do even that.

I have been getting bad headaches I am afraid are related to the fact that I am not on my blood pressure medication. So that's the first order of business on Monday morning: to call my doctor and to have a new prescription sent to Costco for that. And then I have to call my other doctors and find out what meds I can have substituted for the one I currently take that are low cost. Some can be substituted, others can't. So, we'll see.

My joints and my body just feel wrong. Achy and heavy. I am really worried that even if I get the temp job, physically, it might be too much for me unless I can get the coverage to get the infusion.

I still want to scream today. But it's not strangling me as much today.

Again, thanks so much for letting me talk here. It is a huge help.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy, love the Tommy photos. It's funny how their cuteness increases four-fold when they roll on their backs! And speaking of which, I hope Greg is starting to feel better.

Scandi, glad you and the pup are going to try to run it off, and the vet is in agreement.

Gypsy, I'm so happy you're feeling a little more optimistic. I know there were a few times I had to do the written appeal process for coverage of some of my husband's treatments and meds after he died, but I was always able to get them to pay in the end. They must have some sort of written appeal process under California insurance law, but there is probably a time limit. I think mine was 30 days after denial of coverage. And I'm glad you understood where I was coming from on the other post. And the funny thing is that I had the MWM setting melted down for a new setting after my husband's death so those rings don't even exist anymore. I don't have either the rings or the photos anymore!

And speaking of photos, here are some more pictures from Norway:

It's a seafaring country, both past:

And present:

dsc01891.jpg

dsc01912.jpg

dsc01826.jpg

dsc01841.jpg

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And here's the Fram, the first ship to go to both the North and South Poles (if I remember right, which is questionable):

And the famous raft, the Kon-Tiki:

But the Norwegians also love their winter sports. Here's a ski jump in Oslo. It was impossible to capture the enormity of this thing. I had no idea from watching TV just how big these jumps are:

dsc01974.jpg

dsc01955.jpg

dsc01683.jpg

_38097.jpg

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But we also made sure to see some of Norway's artists, including their most famous one, Edvard Munch. He's best known for this:

But I really preferred both of these:

And speaking of art, here's a guy we met outside our hotel:

dsc02003.jpg

dsc02005.jpg

dsc02006.jpg

dsc01862.jpg

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No post is complete without both food and flowers. He tried to join us for ice cream:

We had reindeer for dinner at Rorbua one night, complete with lingon berries:

One of the plantings near the restaurant:

And just because I thought it was cool:

And I haven't even gotten to the countryside or fjord photos yet! Honestly, you guys are going to have to tell me when to stop because I could post photos of Norway every day for the next two weeks.

dsc01982.jpg

dsc01855.jpg

dsc02002.jpg

dsc01858.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your pictures make smile. Thank you for posting them Rainwood.

Yes, there is something hinky about the insurance thing. I will be researching it. We'll see what happens from there. Oh! I am sorry there are no pictures of the ring anymore.

What did you do with your stones?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I had the solitaire put in the new setting custom designed for me and I wear it every day. I had a local jeweler, Green Lake Jewelry Works, do the new setting because I wanted to work with someone I could go in and see. They did a great job and I know a few others on PS have used them. The setting is not nearly as unique as the MWM, but the wedding ring isn't integral to the new set like it was with the other, and I took the wedding band off after a year or so.

And no, I'm not going to post photos! I learned from that old kerfuffle where I stand on that issue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do want to share, privately, the new ring, I'd love to see it. LLJ's mom has my contact information. And I of course, would keep it in confidence.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello and good morning :wavey:
Typing on my phone from the mountains :) We are going to go for a long walk today before heading back home tonight. Hope for birds - otherwise the terrain is veeeeeeery expensive lol. Well. Kind of expensive either way, but at least we get out money's worth of there are birds here - Furbaby still needs a lot of practice before competitions. Having a tiny bit of problems sitting down when the birds take off lol.

LLJsmom, I think you are doing the right thing to let your body relax a little more. That is what diet + exercise is all about is it not? To feel good and strong and not hungry, exhausted and cold :) Good for you!!!

Rainwood, please keep the pictures coming! Can't wait to see the pictures of the Norwegian fjords! They are always amazing!

Missy, hope Greg is feeling better? Hurting your back can be so painful. Did you go to the party? I can be like that too sometimes. I really look forward to vacation when we are planning it. And then when it is time go I'm like "ah.. do we have to go? It sounds kind of like hard work..." but I always love holidays / parties when I'm there :)

Gypsy, only answer this if you want to. But I'm not so familiar with the health insurance system. Here, health care is mostly free. You can get insurance (to avoid waiting etc) but only for issues that are not yet discovered, if you know what I mean. But I guess your system is different and that DH's job should have an insurance for you that covers your ongoing medications and treatments? Such a mess you have to deal with. Stay strong!! I cross my fingers for that job thing :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Rainwood, I love the latest Norway photos. What magnificent paintings. I love Edvard Munch. Love the ski jump and the raft and the Fram (majestic) and the lighthouse and please keep posting photos! I don't want you to stop as I am really enjoying them. Haha that bird is a beauty and I don't blame him for wanting some ice cream. 8) I haven't yet read through the thread you are talking about but I think I know how you feel and I agree not to post here if you don't want it copied. I am glad you are enjoying your new diamond setting from Green Lake Jewelry Works. I too would love to see any of your new bling I haven't yet seen if you want to share. Thanks for asking about Greg and his back is much better.

Gypsy, sending you more PS DUST for a successful and quick resolution to your health insurance woes. Something doesn't feel right I agree and I hope you get results. And please feel free to vent away here. That was what this thread was originally intended for and it has helped many of us during very difficult times. You are among friends here who get it. (((HUGS))).

Scandi, how is Fifi feeling? Have the meds started working? Greg's back is much better, thank you for asking. We decided against going to the party last night and enjoyed a quiet evening together and are planning on getting together with the couple who hosted the party very soon. Just the 4 of us so I am glad about that as I very much like these friends and seeing them for a nice evening out will be fun.

Marcy, hope you are enjoying your beach vacation and having fun and that everyone is getting along as well as possible. Any new purchases? Did you resist buying the bracelet? 8) Just keep saying Porsche and you will hold strong. We saw 2 Macans yesterday. Sweet cars. One was in a red color and one was in a dark grey color. Very pretty!

LLJsmom, love all your beautiful designer bags and purses and shopping in your closet is often a win win situation. :appl: Good luck with the sales and have you posted it here on loupe troop or DB? That might be a way to go to increase your odds of selling the ones you don't use.

It was a perfectly beautiful weather day yesterday and we enjoyed a nice long bike ride yesterday and ran into the husband of a tandem cycling couple we know and occasionally run into and we are meeting with them today as the wife wants to show us her new kitchen. You know I am looking forward to that as we are redoing our beach house kitchen within the next few years probably and maybe even sooner. LOL the husband was chasing us in his car while we were cycling yesterday afternoon honking. I was about to turn and give him what for for honking at us and he sped ahead and stopped and got out of the car and I saw who it was. Luckily for me I didn't shout at him for honking when I thought it was a random stranger. :lol: His wife had hernia surgery a few weeks ago and he saw us pass his home so he got in his car to try catching up so he could invite us over. Of course he also has our phone numbers but I guess this was more fun. :lol:
They know we are redoing our kitchen here and wanted us to see their new kitchen. Of course I already know exactly what I want but it is always fun to see new renovations and especially new kitchens. :))

Hope everyone has a good Sunday! :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs.

Hi Kristie.

Missy, kids these days. 3 of the 6 of them are leaving today. Darn it that the TV doesn't work. My FIL has me find things on the TV here for him. He watches news or golf and the kids have it in sometimes but mostly it's off. I know the challenges of whether to go or stay home for parties. It's a tough choice. Glad to hear Gregs back is better. Great kitty pictures. I did resist the bracelet. Thinking Porsche. Nice you saw 2 Macan yesterday. Hopefully mine is making its way happily through the Porsche factory now. Have fun with the other tandem couple. It will be inspiring to see their kitchen remodel.

Gypsy, I am glad you are feeling better today. Sometimes things are so overwhelming it is hard to cope. Good luck with the temp job. That would be nice to get some cheaper meds where posible.

Rainwood, great pictures. I hope to make it through week 2 with a smile on my face. Wish me luck. You survived dinner with your MIL. Yes at 94 you should eat what you want.

Scandinavian good idea to go on a dishes strike. Glad you and the fur baby are trying to run it off.

Not much new here. 3 of the 6 18-30 somethings are leaving today. We all went to supper last night. I'll be home a week from now. :appl:

Marcy

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, just wanted to check in -

Missy, I'm glad Greg's back is feeling better. His workshop is just amazing. Congrats on passing the tests, good for you for just getting it over with! And I agree that you really won't know how things are going to be with the new company until you start working and see how it goes. I can understand why you decided not to trap right now, you have to do what you think is best for all the kitties. Love the pics of Tommy, he's so handsome and sweet. Nice that you ran into a friend (well, sounds like he almost ran into you lol) - it will be fun to check out his new kitchen. Glad to hear J is doing ok.

LLJsmom, I'm so glad you found an exercise regiment that's working for you, and not as hard on you physically. It sounds like you've found a good balance with exercise and your diet and it's great you're noticing such an improvement . Good for you for treating yourself to some new clothes, it's fun to have new things to wear and it feels good. I have bunions too, I'll have to check out Clark shoes, it would be nice to wear heels once in a while lol.

Gypsy, I am just so sorry for all you're going through right now, I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and I'm hoping you can figure out this insurance situation, and that the doctors can help you out with your prescriptions. I'm really glad Duncan seems to be holding his own and I am hoping he continues to do well. Thinking of you, and hoping things start turning around soon. And definitely vent whenever you need to! It helps.

Rainwood, your pics are fantastic. The opera house is beautiful and I love the sculptures by Vigeland. Frogner Park is lovely. The pic of Kon Tiki is very cool and the views of the harbor in Norway are just gorgeous. I am enjoying your pictures so much, what an amazing trip.

It is a bit ironic that your mil has a background in nutrition and eats so little! My mother was a nurse so you would think she would realize the importance of getting enough fluids and nutrition. Sadly, I think my mother just doesn't really care enough at this point to make the effort.

Scandi, I hope your furbaby is feeling better and the exercise is helping. Also hoping some birds are showing up so that you can get your money's worth!

Marcy, hope you're having a great time, hopefully you and Marty can just go off by yourselves once in a while to get a break from everyone. And just keep having those happy hours lol. What's that old joke…it's 5:00 somewhere in the world.

Things are a little hectic here right now - my mother is being released from the rehab on September 1 - to make a long story short, my sister had agreed to stay with my mother Labor day weekend a few months ago so that my husband and I could go to SC for 5 days. As it turns out, my mother is being released right in the middle of when we'd be gone…I want to just stay home but my sister would like to see me go if possible so we are trying to move my mother tomorrow or Tuesday. This way my sister can just visit her every day while I'm gone, as if she was still in the rehab. If we can't arrange it I'm not going to SC so we'll see how it plays out in the next day or two. She's being moved to a long-term care facility close by. Didn't mean to go on, just thought I'd fill you all in, just in case anyone was wondering what's up with me.

Hope everyone is having a great day, I'll check back soon!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So here are today's Norway photos. I thought I'd do some of the contrasts of Oslo - old and new.

Here is historic Oslo:

The old fortress:

If I remember right, this is the Parliament building:

And this is the main tourist/pedestrian street - Karl Johans Gate (gate is Norwegian for street so no actual gate involved) - with the royal palace at the far end:

dsc02021.jpg

dsc01761.jpg

dsc01764.jpg

dsc01817.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

Junebug, I’m glad to hear your mom is being moved to a close-by long term care facility. It’s so good that it’s close to you and your sister. It’s so hard to find long term care and assisted living facilities in CA that are even near affordable. And it’s so nice that you can go to SC for 5 days. You and your sister have a great relationship that you are both taking good care of each other. Good sibling relationships seem so rare. I hope you do have time to relax and rest some while in SC.

Marcy, vacation with big groups can be fun, and challenging. I think someday I will go on vacay with other families other than my parents, but I kinda dread the day… Hope you and Marty can make time for yourselves.

Missy, I’m sorry to hear Greg hurt his back. Those injuries can be so pesky and take a while to completely recover. I hope that he is allowing himself to rest enough. I never thought to post on loupetroop or DB. Good idea. I’ll try that.

Rainwood, thank you for the lovely pictures. I feel like I’m on vacation with you when I look at them. What a luxury to spend an afternoon wandering in a museum. To me, that is truly vacation.

Gypsy, I sure hope they investigate that insurance denial for you. Sometimes I feel like insurance companies are just the most evil entities in the world. Argh!! They have made more so frustrated and angry on so many occasions. I hope each day gets a little bit better for you. Vent away if it helps.

Scandinavian, I can’t even imagine living in a country where healthcare isn’t a constant worry. Wow. I’m trying to imagine it, but can’t…

Callie, Kristie, hope you both are doing well.

I’m ok. Yesterday was just my day to veg out at home by myself and acclimate to the idea that I’ve hit another age that is divisible by 5, with no remainders. (Guess who has been doing too much elementary school math.) I surfed all day, looking for something that would grab me and say “BUY ME NOW!!! Ignore the pricetag!” And honestly, I didn’t find it. I keep thinking it might help me deal with being 45, but I know that the thrill will last only a couple of minutes. I do need to grow up and focus on the things that matter. 8 days and counting.

I’m outie girls. Chat soon.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And then there's the new modern parts of the city with more planned or under construction. The opera house I showed you earlier is the most striking example, but there are whole new parts of the city springing up.

I love how this building turns up at the corner to evoke a Viking ship:

And you can take your boat to dinner or see friends and there's both art and a place to tie up:

And a new museum of modern art that sort of looks like a jet. Here's the front of it:

And the swoopiness of the building in context. You can see the ski jump from yesterday's post in the distance up the hill on the left:

dsc01836.jpg

dsc01833.jpg

dsc01840.jpg

dsc01658.jpg

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And now just a collection of Oslo moments:

The art near the opera house. We originally thought it looked like a ship in distress, but were later told it was supposed to be an iceberg. I'm not entirely convinced, but it did shimmer beautifully when the sun hit it:

Some whimsical art on the waterfront made of old fishing nets and floats:

One of the artifacts they found buried with the Viking ships from yesterday's post. I'm assuming it was supposed to be some type of guard animal in the afterlife because it is one scary looking serpent:

And Norway is very proud of its native son, playwright Henrik Ibsen, and have quotes from his work embedded in the sidewalks around the city center:

Tomorrow, we head to the beautiful Norwegian countryside.

dsc01789.jpg

dsc01963.jpg

_24604.jpg

dsc02013.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning from Scandinavia :wavey:

Hope you are doing well :) Back home after x hours in the car as usual, lol. Furbaby is a bit better, but kept us up until 2 last night because she started going "iiiiii" "iiiii" "iiiii" because she was felling so sorry for herself. Kind of annoying and breaks my heart at the same time. Tried to let her sleep in our bed, but she still kept whining.. that is even worse. She is in bed and I'm trying to pet her non-stop and still "iiiii" "iiiii" "iiiiiii"... DH was not very happy with her.... or me.... :lol:

Missy, forgot to say that off course you aced that test! You are rather intelligent, you know.... ;-) Think it was a good plan to skip the party and do something nice with just your friends instead. Sometimes it is impossible to talk to people at parties :lol: I too love new kitchens, or any redecorating really. So I always invite myself for coffee if close friends just hint of anything new :lol: :lol:

LLJsmom, yes, no worries re paying for health care here. So I suggest you all move her! :D I know the feeling of wanting to shop and not finding anything. Horrible!! For me, it normally indicates that I'm not really in a shopping mood... if that is at all possible for me... :lol: 8-)

Marcy, I think perhaps a few tiny practical jokes might improve your week...? Chili (as in too much) in someone's dinner perhaps? Or salt instead of sugar? Don't know if it works on US computers, but if you press "ctrl" "alt" and one of the "arrows" at the same time, the screen flips upside down or sideways, depending on which arrow you choose... :lol: 8-) :lol: Might be nice if one of the "kids" have a computer.... On april fools day a few years ago, one of my colleges actually worked with his screen upside down for quite some time before someone decided to save him... :lol:

Gypsy, perhaps you and DH should try to find a job in Scandinavia? I'm almost not joking. It might be worth checking out the rules in the different Scandinavian countires to qualify for free health care, it might be that you don't have to be working here thaaaaaaat long before it kicks in. If Trump wins you might want to change country anyways, lol.

Jimmianne, miss you, hope you and Pom and DD are OK. Hugs!

Rainwood, super nice pictures as always :)

EDIT: Hello Rainwood :wavey:

Are any of you familiar with Ibsen's works, by the way? He is Norway's Shakespeare :) A few of the books/plays are actually quite good in my opinion, especially Peer Gynt, The wild duck, and Rosmersholm. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrik_Ibsen

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
John has a job interview/ opportunity at a differnt company that, if it worked out, could mean good things for us. Please keep us in your thoughts. This could be big.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From yesterday's training / hike - a bit cold during lunch so baby borrowed my extra jacket :) so cute :)

20160828_133818-1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scandi.. Honestly, if it were up to me alone we'd be living aboard anyway. I love the US, but I do want the experience of living somewhere else for several years, ideally. And yes, Scandinavia would be on my list of possible places, along with New Zealand!

If our finances improve we are getting our passports anyway. A Trump presidency is a nightmare that might actually get DH to agree to explore international options.
Love "Dog in Pink" photo.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls! How did it get to be Monday so fast??? ::)

Junie, I am hoping the scheduling works out and you can go on your SC trip this holiday weekend. Really hope the rehab center will let your mom go to her long term care facility before you leave so your sister will be able to visit her and you will get to go on your mini vacation that you very much deserve to go on and enjoy. Sending you lots of good wishes and good luck vibes. (((HUGS))).

Rainwood, thank you for sharing more photos. Love Norway. Historic Oslo is beautiful and love that fortress and the Parliament building. Rich in history all of it. Even the modern parts of the city. Love the way the building turns up like a Viking ship. Wow on the arts near the opera house. I can definitely see both iceberg and ship in distress. Abstract art. Love it. The whole city is so beautiful old and new.

LLJsmom, first of all thank you so much for your very lovely comments in your SMTB thread. I feel exactly the same way about you and well when I read what you wrote it touched me deeply. Thank you. I am not responding in your thread because I don't want to derail it but cannot let it go without letting you know how much it touched my heart. And that I feel the same. (((HUGS))). OK enough mushiness. :bigsmile:

You still have time before your years are divisible by 5 so don't rush it away too fast. You almost gave me a heart attack thinking I forgot another NIRDI birthday LOL. Enjoy every moment and don't you know that when we are past 45 the gifts have to get bigger and bigger? At least that's what I tell Greg. 8) I still haven't bought my birthday gift this year as I don't know what I want so I am taking my time. This way I get to savor the excitement and thought of what I might get...sometimes I don't mind delayed gratification. Anyway enjoy this week leading up to your special day and I hope this is your very best birthday yet!

Scandi, your sweet baby is so beautiful. Love the latest photos of her. Yes I am familiar with Ibsen's work. Love his books/plays. He was a genius. It has been many years since I read anything by him. Perhaps it is time to reread some of his work.

Gypsy, sending John bucketloads of good luck dust for his job interview and continuing to send good thoughts and healing vibes your way. And hoping things start improving rapidly for you! ((((HUGS)))).
And don't worry because I really don't think Trump has a snowball's chance in He** of becoming our President. But if he does we would love to join you in New Zealand. :sun: Scandi I would love to move near you but I don't think my poor old body can take the freezing cold weather. :cry:

We had a good ride yesterday and in the middle of it visited our tandem cycling friends. She just had double hernia surgery 2 weeks ago and is doing great. They redid their kitchen but it took almost a year because everything that could go wrong did. Now we have very different taste and it was a very modern kitchen so not anything that I would do but I very much enjoyed seeing it and visiting them. The quick visit turned into 2 hours and we didn't get back till late. But it was a lovely visit. I will share some pics but need to get my phone which is downstairs. Be right back. Hoping I don't lose this post!

They have an apartment in NYC and a townhouse by the ocean about 20 miles from where our beach house is. They sold their large home in Marlboro years ago to buy the townhouse by the ocean and their NYC apartment so they can have the best of both worlds and they are enjoying it. They have sort of a reverse situation to what Greg and I have as they work nearby in NJ so stay here during the week (and weekends in summer) but stay here during the week in the winter and commute to the city for the weekends all winter long. They overlook the ocean and it is just a beautiful view. We met them while we were both tandeming years ago and struck up a friendship. Isn't it funny how as adults you can meet new people and become friends? Online and off. So many lovely people all around.

First up is the gorgeous white leather sectional couch. This is something I really like and am actually looking for something similar in our Living Room at the beach. She told me where they bought it so hoping we can find something that suits our space when we are ready to redecorate.

Next few pics are of their kitchen. They have quartzite counters which I very much like. They have modern shiny acrylic cabinets which are not my cup of tea but it suits their aesthetic and I am glad it turned out well for them in the end. So much aggravation and it took almost a year and is not totally completed yet. I sure hope when it is our turn to renovate we have a more smooth renovation. I am glad it is finally almost over for them though. And that they are so pleased with the final outcome. :appl:

Have a good Monday girls. We are back to the Brooklyn soon and I am just hoping everything is working there for us. Mondays are excitement enough with commuting back with all 4 kitties and traffic. Fingers crossed.
I am thinking good thoughts for all of you and enjoy the day. (((HUGS))). :wavey:

whiteleathercouch.jpg

modernkitchentandemfriends.jpg

quartzitecounters.jpg

acryliccabinets.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy!!!! Sorry somehow left my reply out to you. Yay for some of the lazy adult kids leaving and yay for another week of vacation for you! :appl:

Since I am writing another post I will include my dream kitchen thoughts and happy to hear recommendations and any criticism of what we are planning. Since we are not yet doing this is the time to work and rework. I like shaker wood cabinets like our custom Brooklyn maple cabinets. However I am doing a white shaker at the beach.

We will be doing some type of white stone counters. No shine or at least in between shine and matte and not shiny. And probably continuing the dark wood floors we have throughout the house into the kitchen. I loathe tile and was thinking about some type of white stone floor without grout as I hate grout with an intense hate. However I keep coming back to just continuing the dark wood floors we have throughout the rest of the house into the kitchen. It will provide a good contrast.

I just want the kitchen to be bright and light and airy with lots of natural light coming in. We are planning on having one 36" or 48" (if they still make the 48" size) refrigerator side by side with the same size freezer. So that will be either a total of 72" or 96" fridge freezer. I prefer the larger size but not sure they still make it or that of they do if it will fit in the space so still up in the air. We have a 48" subzero in Brooklyn but are open to any counter depth fridge and freezer that will be completely flush with out cabinetry. I hate any appliance sticking out even a little bit. We are replacing all our windows and wish we could do a skylight but unfortunately we have an attic above.

We actually have a kitchen consultation planned this Saturday late afternoon but depending on the weather I might need to reschedule.

Marcy, this last pic is for you and all the NIRDIs who love ice cream. Our cold treat yesterday afternoon halfway through our cycling yesterday and before we visited our tandem friends. Delicious. :lickout: Hope you too are enjoying some cold treats at the beach. :halo:

_2957.jpeg

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy, here are some of my kitchen thoughts.

White shaker cabinets are both classic and beachy. That's what I have on the island. One thing to be aware of: a white Shaker cabinet door will show the dust that collects on the lower horizontal trim piece a lot more than a wood-colored Shaker cabinet door. And there can (and probably will) be gaps over time between the panel of the door and the trim because the wood will shrink. Shrinkage is also true for a stained wood Shaker cabinet but the gaps are more visible if the cabinets are painted white. Oh, and because most people, including me, went with a lot more drawers than cabinets (particularly below the counter), you'll need to take that into consideration too. I like the Shaker look for cabinet doors and larger drawers but not on the smaller drawers so left those plain front.

Tile floors in the kitchen are really hard on your joints because tile is a lot harder than hardwood. I even find the tile floors in the bathrooms at the island to be hard to stand on for very long. The heated floors are nice but I wish there were a softer alternative - not interested in cork for either kitchen or bathroom floors and most people don't like vinyl floors these days and I can never find a pattern I like anyway. When I redo the kitchen in the city, I will stick with hardwood floors and will just have the existing ones sanded and refinished as they are in good shape.

Dark floors are and have been very popular for quite awhile, but they show dirt, dust, and pet hair a lot more than lighter floors. If you're still okay with that (and will be until you move away) then dark may still be the way to go. But if you're trying to go lower maintenance, you might want to consider going lighter. And if you're interested in trends at all, the design world seems to be coming back to lighter floors. A beautiful wide-plank sort of white-washed light grayish sort of driftwood color would be a beach classic regardless. I did a warmer hardwood floor color than is popular these days because I wanted something to warm up the space. We have a lot of gray days here and I like the warmth of the wood tone. Most people would probably hate them, but I'm a big advocate of doing what makes sense to you.

Kitchen countertops were the hardest for me because what I wanted, what I needed and what was available and in budget never did seem to coincide. I prefer the look of marble, but not the etching and upkeep which is impossible to avoid. I fell completely in love with a warm gray marble called Pietra Grigio that had white veins running through. It was exactly what I wanted but they said it was even softer than Carrara, would etch and scratch like nobody's business, and it cost a fortune. I wasn't interested in picking the equivalent of a 'bad boyfriend' when it came to something I'd be using as much as kitchen countertops so went with a honed dark gray granite. I like, but don't love it, and honed does show more fingerprints and water rings. I'm okay with that, but you need to be aware of that if you do a honed finish. I actually wish we'd done the kitchen countertops in the leathered or antique finish. We have a piece of the same granite with that finish in the dining room at the island and I like it. It would've cost a lot of money to do that finish on the 3 slabs for the kitchen because they have to take a blow torch to it, and not everyone loves the textured feel. I do, and I wish I had it everywhere. I liked quartzite too because it's supposedly less maintenance than marble, but you have to be careful because some stones are labeled as quartzite when they really aren't and can end up being just as temperamental as marble. And it is a lot more expensive. I hadn't really come around to quartz at that point, it still being somewhat up and coming at the time, but when I redo the city kitchen, which is much much needed, I will give it a closer look. I'm used to putting hot pans directly on the counter which I can do with the granite at the island (it doesn't have veins running through it that could crack from heat) and the tile counters I have in the city. I don't want to give up that functionality.

I plan to do the all fridge all freezer combo too so I can get rid of the spare refrigerator downstairs in the garage. I don't have that at the island because I don't really need that much refrigeration there, and did a counter depth French door. I like it but it wouldn't be enough storage if I lived there full-time. I love double ovens though and have them in both houses.

And don't get me started on sinks. Everybody has their likes and dislikes, but you need to concentrate on how you use them. Lots of people love a big farm sink so they can wash cookie sheets and big pans in them. I decided against a farm or single bowl sink because that's not how I wash those items. I don't ever fill the kitchen sink with dish soap and water to wash things because the kitchen sink is almost impossible to keep hygienic (learned that when my husband went through transplant) and I hate the idea of putting a second item into dishwater that's already dirty from the first item. Plus I'm fairly tall and it requires bending over to wash something flat in the bottom. In the city, I have a cast iron porcelain triple-bowl sink and I balance the big items on the dividers and wash them individually. When I redo the kitchen, I'm going to keep that sink because no one makes anything like it anymore. At the island, I have a double sink with a lower divider. I like but don't love it because it's harder to balance things on it. And I did cast-iron enameled sinks everywhere on the island because I find stainless steel to be too high maintenance. Others would disagree but my white sinks clean up easier and faster than the stainless sink I have in the city laundry room. Stainless also scratches easier (in my experience anyway) and some people solve that by putting a grid in the bottom which to me makes the sink even harder to keep hygienic and is an extra thing to clean. So I bucked the trend of single bowl, stainless sinks. And those beautiful sharp 90-degree corners are a nightmare to get clean. Some people end up using a Q-tip!

Also, for kitchen cabinet pulls, those long bar pulls that are popular have open ends that can catch on pockets and things. I found that out the hard way and switched out all of the drawer pulls (I prefer pulls to knobs) to something with a closed-end. If you're a klutz like me, you need to think of how to idiot-proof those kinds of things.

Enough spewing from me. I didn't realize I had so much to say!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hello ya'll. :wavey: Hope everyone is well.

Had a nice holiday in Vancouver and Victoria. Record hot temps! Woohoo!! (I love the heat...) except I was very cold once the sun went down.....

Rainwood, I waved to you and your family while on the west coast.... :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sharon -

Glad you had a good time in the V's. My family waved back!! We did have what was really hot weather for us, but was probably nothing like you guys are used to in the heartland. We can be quite the weather wimps out west!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so , I got to talk to my therapist today and am in a much better head space. She doesn't care about the insurance issue, if she has to do it pro-bono she will. I'm in "crisis" as she puts it, and that is what matters to her. She's such a good therapist.

I have fingers and toes crossed for John's prospects at this other company. They were his first choice before, but though the property they had at the time was not right for him. Now they have two openings and want to see if one of them will be a match. I REALLY hope so. One of them in particular would be a very good fit for us, in general.

I had an phone screen interview with a 'mature' start up today. They're hiring process is on the slow track and could take up to a month or longer to go anywhere. But I told them I was very interested so we'll see if anything happens.

I have an in person interview tomorrow for a short term project management role. They can't hire anyone permanently as it is not in the budget, but they need someone to help for a while (they have no idea how long it will take, but must be done by year end come hell or high water). I would start Thursday. And I would probably be able to get insurance through the temp agency. So FINGERS CROSSED BIG TIME for that. It would mean immediate money and insurance. And even though it's not a permanent job, it will look really good on my resume and help me get the NEXT job.

We're having Fajitas tonight. And I've been looking forward to them, so I am going to go start that. And I'll post some more later about kitchens, furniture and other stuff.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Scandi, I love the photo of Fifi. She has such a soulful face. I hope her 'lady troubles' sort themselves out soon. It's hard to watch them go through discomfort like that.

Gypsy, I'm glad things are starting to look brighter. My fingers are crossed that your life changes from bad to good on all fronts ASAP.

I'll try to post more Norway shots tonight if I can. I've been in a highly unmotivated funk for several days and have already spent more time on PS today than I can justify. My to-do list isn't getting any shorter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results