shape
carat
color
clarity

Lingerie Shower for a Bride

P

PierreBear

Hi PSers,

My husband will be a groomsman in an upcoming wedding but I was invited by the future bride to attend a lingerie shower. When I got married, I didn't really have all these mini events prior to the big day so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Is it customary to get lingerie or if I feel a bit strange about doing that.... just get something off of the wedding registry? I'm assuming that it might be a type of event like a baby shower, where you open up the gifts in front of each other, so I was thinking that it might be strange if I didn't stick with the theme.

But I can't help it... buying someone else's underwear is such a strange concept. Leave that to your future husband to do?! Help me please!

Q

Queenie60

I would stay with the theme. You may feel a bit odd if you have a household gift and everyone else has lingerie. You could purchase a very nice netted lingerie bag that she can put into the washing machine to wash her lingerie in. And some lavender lingerie wash, with a few quilted lingerie hangars.

A nice bottle of champagne with some elegant room spray and a scented candle.

Very nice massage oils and a nice music CD with love songs or classical music.

There are many things that you can get and they don't necessarily need to be sexy lingerie!

Good luck - been there, done that!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If it is specifically called a lingerie shower, then yes, I think your gifts should be limited to that theme. Do you feel strange about it because you are not close to the bride? If so, I might consider politely declining the invitation. If you want/need to attend, you don't necessarily have to gift underwear/lingerie. You could give a gift card (to Victoria's Secret or some place similar) or maybe just something related to romance (candles, wine/champagne & a set of matching wine glasses/champagne flutes, etc.). If you want to gift some sort of lingerie, but feel odd about it, you could buy something like a silk nightgown that's sexy but a little more elegant/conservative.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hosted a lingerie party once - it was the thing to do back then. Not everyone brought lingerie but the gifts did tend to be more personal. The one that I particularly recall was a book... various famous womens' thoughts on some theme. Not lingerie or "wedding night" related, but still quite personal.

About that same time I was invited to a lingerie party thrown for a former college roommate. I was unable to attend for some reason but caught up with her later. I remember I gave her a silk shortie nightgown, and she was so grateful to get it. She said no one had given her nice nightwear - she wasn't known for being particularly wild or girly - except for her future mother-in-law, who had given her a long flannel nightgown!

By all means go, and give what you're comfortable giving... but try to stick with something more personal than "household."

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt have a lingerie shower but a Chiropractor friend of my husbands gave us a book on how to do massages and massage
oils. I thought that was a nice gift.

The odd thing about gifts is that you think of the person who gave them to you when you are using/wearing them. At least I
do and well sometimes you just don't want to be thinking of that person when you are taking care of business if you know what
I mean. :oops:

Edit...I like Queenie's and momhappy's ideas! A little Barry White and some nice Champagne.

Depending on what you want to spend...a nice set of sheets would be lovely and falls into the "bedroom" category. Or a nice
plush throw blanket to cuddle under etc.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
That would be tough unless she is registered for lingerie somewhere, or you know her extremely well.
How would you know what size to buy? And I'm pretty particular about such things and would hate for someone to waste $$ on something I would never wear.

I'm a sucker for personalization/monograms--maybe order pillow cases with her new initials (assuming she is changing names)?

Not sure if you would be comfortable with this but I have seen romantic type cookbooks?

P

PierreBear

Ya'll are spot on with ideas! I really appreciate it and won't go with the household item. I was thinking of getting a pot/pan and then trying to find an apron that had some "sexy" metaphor on it but it kinda feels like a gag gift. Thanks for saving me from embarrassing myself!

I'm not particularly close with the bride but I think it's the feeling of giving lingerie to any person. So I'll ponder some more but I got some great options to choose from now. Have a great rest of the day!

RedHotScot

Rough_Rock
What about matching silk robes, a gift certificate for a couples massage or lingerie shop, bath salts/oils?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this in addition to a regular shower? Like, they've already had a normal shower you've been included in, and now they're having this as well? Plus you're going to be included in any other little get togethers? I mean, I work and have worked in the industry for a while, but this shit is just getting ridiculous now. Have A shower, or two if she's got or he's got huge families, and if you want people to give lingerie, great, include that on the invitation. But all these satellite events is just obnoxious.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a lingerie shower...

I received all different types of lingerie themed gifts that really reflected the individual giver. Some people gave me cute nightgowns, others gave racy lingerie. One gift came with a can of whipped cream, which got TONS of laughs!

I appreciated all of the gifts because they were from the heart of the person giving the gifts. I didn't expect trashy lingerie from my Church lady MIL...you know? To be honest, if she had given me something like that, I would have returned it!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would stick to the theme. I've only been to lingerie showers that were part of the bachelorette party, and I always give a gift card and a glass dildo. The one I gave my SIL is in the shape of a candy cane (her bach party was right before Christmas, so I did a whole "sexy Christmas" theme) and they use it as a Christmas decoration and everyone - her parents, my parents, everyone - knows who gave it to her and what it "really" is. :oops: :lol:

Another thing - specifically suited to a pricescoper - is that you could give a glass ring dish. If you look on Etsy there are plenty you can get personalized with the bride and groom's name and wedding date or engagement date. I usually give these as engagement gifts and they are always appreciated. Many people don't quite know what to do with their fancy rings now that they've got them! I have specifically purchased from this shop before: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PromisePottery

I also agree with robes - I wouldn't even go with silk, I would go with a super comfy bathrobe/spa robe. I like the Monarch Cypress ones. There are also plenty of nice ones on the Pottery Barn website.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
PierreBear|1472065532|4069588 said:
Ya'll are spot on with ideas! I really appreciate it and won't go with the household item. I was thinking of getting a pot/pan and then trying to find an apron that had some "sexy" metaphor on it but it kinda feels like a gag gift. Thanks for saving me from embarrassing myself!

I'm not particularly close with the bride but I think it's the feeling of giving lingerie to any person. So I'll ponder some more but I got some great options to choose from now. Have a great rest of the day!

It doesn't have to be "sexy" lingerie. I went to one for a girl that I'd only hung out with a few times (but we hit it off a lot). I just bought her a cute matching set of practical bra/underwear from Target. We did a game where the bride had to guess who brought what.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just give her a cute shorts/tank top pj set. Eventually she will want to be comfortable. It doesn't has to be sexy stuff. I think most brides just appreciate having new and not coming into a marriage with a million old sets that they have been wearing forever.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Target has cute Bride themed lingerie now. The robe they have is perfect for this.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
My pretty religious cousin had a lingerie shower at her bachelorette party, and I have known her my whole life, so I got her a very nice longline bra and a lace panty that wasn't a "sex only" set, and she said it was the only thing she actually really wears and is comfortable in. You can also get her a nightgown, a robe, or even shoes and say that's an outfit for sex!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results