clarity

Travel Jewelry Case Recommendations?

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Travel box update!

I love the wolf square quilted one. It just came in the mail. The ring slots are too shallow for some of my rings and the tops would probably hit the mirror if I tried to close it but I love all the other qualities.I like the idea of putting my special goodies in this one and tucking it away in a drawer so my special things aren't on the dresser top. It fits fine in my bags but feels a little bulky to carry with me. So it will stay home. Love the quality though and how it came beautifully wrapped and boxed. It was a gift.

I also bought and returned (twice) the Tiffany round small zip jewelry/ring holder. They found me the last one in the Tiffany blue which they overnighted and I loved. It was the perfect container to have in my bag all the time. Small but safe. The ring slot was plenty deep for my rings and the little section for a pendant or bracelet was nice. This was the last one in blue and it had a little stain on the inside (probably glue) so I had to return it. I ended up going into a boutique and saw raspberry, silver and black. Black seemed boring. Silver looked like something I could get at target. The pink I bought. Returned it today because it just was not my color. Of course now I don't have that perfect little item for my bag that I loved so much. I will either wait as they said they should be coming out with more blue or I will end up buying the black. Thinking on it.

Finally I did see the updated small jewelry roll. I was just over all unsure. I did like the small size and it seemed discreet which I also appreciated. But evaluating the points Gypsy made earlier on the differences made me hesitate. Plus the SA that was helping me started to argue with me about what kind of cut my diamond was. He insisted that it was a cushion and part of the cushion family that my step cut was a sub category. Correct me if I am wrong ps family. :roll:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. He's confused because of the Legacy cut. The Legacy is a combination of a step cut (step cut pavilion) and a cushion (brilliant faceted crown and cushion corners) and is a sub-category of cushion.

Yours is not, to my knowledge, a subcategory of cushion because my understanding is that a cushions do not have cut corners but rather rounded, not sharp corners , first and foremost, and second have some brilliant faceting. Both of which the Legacy fits.

Yours is an asscher. You have a cut cornered step cut. Like mine. No cushion corners, no brilliant faceting.

He SHOULD know this, given that Tiffany sells but ECs and Cushions. But... you know as well as I do how poorly trained some SA's are. GIA even calls them "square emerald cuts". Which means, to me, that their classification is a sub-type of ECs. Primary criteria for EC's is no brilliant faceting. Standard asschers have cut corners and step cut faceting. That and the culet coming to a point (instead of a keel in EC's) is what defines them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's amazing how much more we know than sales associates in jewelry stores! :lol:

Hathalove, one bit of advice regarding tucking away special pieces and not leaving them in the jewelry box. First, that is SMART! I only leave things I won't be devastated to lose in my jewelry box that stays in my master bedroom closet. My hope is that thieves would take that, find some costume jewelry in a drawer, and not think about any other. But the number one thing not to do is to leave your valuable jewelry in the master bedroom or closet when you go away or even on a daily basis if you have reason to be concerned about theft. Thieves usually plan to spend a short time in a home, and they will go for electronics and the master bedroom and closet. So think outside the box to places like kitchen (not the oven, please!), laundry room, etc. And as you build your collection, have more than one of these small cases and separate your pieces into more than one location.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yay! Glad you like the wolf box! I also found the ring slots too shallow, so I stick earrings in them :lol:

I'd like to get another wolf jewelry box. I have been pouring over the options on overstock.com. :dance:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PB, I have a Wolf jewelry box or two. Check out ebay, too. Sometimes Wolf sells their sample models (new) there.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy~ Thank you for all that clarification. I didn't honestly know what the heck he was talking about (he mentioned legacy and my stone having cushion corners) and just thought he was crazy. At least he wasn't all the way crazy? Still he was wrong and very annoying! Yes exactly! No cushion corners and no brilliant faceting.

DS~ Thank you for sharing! I am trying to figure it out and started to think now that I have some nicer pieces they really shouldn't be sitting right there out in the open. Trying to figure out what my technique will be so this helps a lot. Who knows I might just end up with a version that Gypsy has. I did like how small and discreet it was. I just have never used a roll before. I am returning the wolf.

PintoBean~ Yes I love it but decided to return it after some thought. It came beautifully shipped and it is made really well. But the fact that it does not hold rings well really bothered me. I called wolf today and asked about that and they said they never get any complaints. Asked if my rings were particularly big (you already know my size). I encouraged them to look at it. When they did they were shocked that I was right and said they are going to speak to the design team. I think they tried to close the box on a co-workers ring?! Both people that helped me repeated how they never get complaints about the ring slots. I think because they are so well made and pretty people choose to keep them anyway and not complain. I almost was going to be another person who did that. BUT a statement DS made earlier about having "every kind of travel case..." made me rethink it. I wanted something primarily for my rings and then other things secondary. This doesn't work so back it goes.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hathalove, that is such a bummer about the Tiffany case. I have had mine for a few years. I would have loved the tiffany blue one but all they had was black patent when I bought it. It is definitely worth the wait to get one. I use it more than any other case and it fits so easily in any bag I use. When I carry just the pieces that I wear daily, I just leave in locked in my suitcase. I was shocked at the price when I first got it, but I couldn't find any other case like it.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1472049444|4069473 said:
Hathalove, that is such a bummer about the Tiffany case. I have had mine for a few years. I would have loved the tiffany blue one but all they had was black patent when I bought it. It is definitely worth the wait to get one. I use it more than any other case and it fits so easily in any bag I use. When I carry just the pieces that I wear daily, I just leave in locked in my suitcase. I was shocked at the price when I first got it, but I couldn't find any other case like it.

I really liked it! Too bad I had to return that blue. I don't know how long I will wait. I haven't seen anything else like it. I will probably end up with the black. It really shouldn't take this many times ... :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results