shape
carat
color
clarity

Replacing a stolen ring -Concerns about I color - Thoughts?

Gadgetgod

Rough_Rock
So, my wife's ring was stolen, a round H&A (super ideal cut) 1.57ct, color F, SI1 (eye clean). the light return, fire and scintillation were all excellent (HCA 1.3). we got the last stone from GOG. She would like a larger stone, and seems to like halo settings. Because of a problem with the insurance, we are totally out of pocket on the replacement ring.

this is the stone I have on reserve and I am interested in your thoughts.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3702273.htm

My concerns are primarily about the color given the jump we are making from the last stone to the new one. that being said, neither of us is very color sensitive, and our eyes are 10 years older from the time I picked the last stone. our budget is $18-20k for the stone (and another ~$3k for a platinum halo setting)

We do have some flexibility on size, I am sure anything over 1.9 (or maybe 1.85) would be fine. I am also fine with going to an SI1 stone if it is totally eye clean.

I have been lurking here for a while (and thank you all for the knowledge you offer for free!) but before I pull the trigger I figured I would get your opinions. Cut is the top importance, we loved the fire and scintillation of the last stone. Eye clean is essential.

she does want a decent size stone, and does not have a pinterest account (not sure it matters since this is not a surprise and we are picking the setting together) will a halo setting look 'too big' with the above stone? right now we are thinking this setting.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/ritani-bella-vita-solitaire-engagement-ring-2066.htm

thanks in advance.
Matt

Gadgetgod

Rough_Rock
Re: Replacing a stolen ring -Concerns about I color - Though

to compare, we also considered this stone (a little smaller than we would like- but I think we could still be happy with)
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3608308.htm

and when considering a Victor Canera setting (still in the running) We looked at this stone.
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104087777015-1.846-g-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

not sure about the VC stone above due to wife's love of fire and scintillation in a stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think a 1.9 ct stone is perfect! The 1.84 is great, too, but I personally would rather VS clarity. Gosh, I love Whiteflash and Victor. Victor sometimes sets outside stones and sometimes he doesn't if he is full with his own stones being set. Steven Kirsch is the other option for the setting. You need to allow $4-5k for the setting. Trust me, it is worth getting this quality.

I am terribly sorry to hear about the loss of the ring and insurance problems. A lot of people here use Jewelers Mutual, just so you know for the new ring. Never use an inflated appraisal, though. They may take sales receipts and diamond grading report for a ring of this value, not sure.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry to hear her ring was stolen! That's so sad! I think any of the choices you have listed are beautiful! It seems like you know who the vendors of super ideals are and have checked out what they have in your desired specs/budget. I'll add a couple from HPD since CBI diamonds are sometimes thought to be in a league of their own!
http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7743/?shop=yes
http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/i/HPD7778/?shop=yes

I'm personally not a very big fan of the Ritani halo setting you linked from WF. Victor Canera does amazing hand forged halo rings that I would personally go for over that Ritani, if your budget allows (likely will be over $3k). I have seen recently that he's not taking any orders for work with outside stones but the stone you linked from him is beautiful (should also have beautiful scintillation!) and I believe he offers a discount when you buy stone + settings from him.

Steven Kirch also does amazing hand forged halos if things with VC don't work. :wavey:

Gadgetgod

Rough_Rock

thank you, I am going to check out steven kirsch. I am taking the lead on the stone, with my wife taking a more active role in selecting the setting. is the concern with Ritani more about style or quality?
any concern with an I stone in a halo (which will likely be G or H stones)?

I am going to use jewelers mutual this time around. At least they were able to arrest one of the movers, they caught him after he sold my gold coins to a pawn shop. of course not until long after the shop had sold them (So no recovery for me) but a class B felony for least one of the movers.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry to hear about the lost of your things. Just FYI...a Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera will be more than $3k for a halo setting.
I think they will be more like $4k-$5k. Hopefully someone who has had one made lately will chime in soon.

Edit...just read that DS already posted some numbers.

Gadgetgod

Rough_Rock

That is dead-on for the VC Halo setting cost, the quote I got today was $4200. and while they will do it with a stone I provide, they would prefer not to, and the time to complete doubles. (and there is a 10% savings off the above price if I use their stone - which makes the setting price competitive)

Gadgetgod

Rough_Rock

A setting question: if a Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera setting does not work out. of the brands that Whiteflash carries, which do people here recommend (based on quality of construction)? Will likely be platinum, and likely a halo.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just so you know, Victor's diamonds are top cut, hearts and arrows, too. His Emilya halo is absolutely gorgeous! It is also a more classic and timeless setting.

I think the big decision is do you want the I color one which is largest, a smaller H VS1, or Victor's G SI1 which is in the middle in terms of size.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gadgetgod|1471980883|4069127 said:
A setting question: if a Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera setting does not work out. of the brands that Whiteflash carries, which do people here recommend (based on quality of construction)? Will likely be platinum, and likely a halo.

Speaking from personal experience, I don't think you can compare the quality of Victor's hand forged halos to your standard halo. If I were you (and I own an "I" colored ACA myself), I would either wait and have Victor set your ACA or go with Victor's H & A stone and get an additional discount.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results