shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Mark

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
I have a question about the mark inside a ring, indicating that it is platinum or not. I have a friend who just got married and his ring is supposed to be platinum. The problem however is that it feels really light (especially for a man''s platinum ring, mine feels heavier!!) and inside the ring it is stamped "PAT". What exactly is PAT?

Thanks!

norman_in_L.A.

Rough_Rock
Angela:

The mark "PAT" usually stands for patent. This is not the platinum stamp. It is unusual to not have a metal content stamp in the ring. But there are many reasons for it not to be there.

95 percent platinum can be marked
"Platinum" without listing the alloy contents. Either a two letter or a four letter abbreviation is allowed. So, for example, platinum can be marked either 'plat' or 'pt'.

85 percent to 94 percent platinum must be marked as platinum with the platimun designation preceded with the platinum content percentage; examples would be 850 plat or 900 plat. In addition all metal quality marks must be accompanied by the manufacturer's hallmark.

If your friend lives in the Overland Park area have him go to one of the jewelers in the Oak Park Mall and have the ring either acid or electronically tested for platinum. If you need a referral, just send me an e-mail.

Good Luck with this.
Let us know the final outcome.

Norman Monteau
AIG Labs http://aiglabs.com
American International Gemologists

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I just didn''t want him to have paid platinum prices for a white gold ring (which is what I think it is).

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results