shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Spaniards? Anyone familiar w Spain? Alicante vs Valencia

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to Spain in a few weeks' time for a holiday and would like some suggestions please. This may be a stab in the dark, but would like to know if anyone would recommend Valencia or Alicante or both?

I'll be in Marbella first, with friends (I've been before to Marbella and will be going back); and from there, we're planning to drive to Valencia and/ or Alicante. Thinking we may EITHER stay 4-5 days in either location and drive to the other OR just go to one location and forget the other altogether.

Are there a lot of things to do and to see? Would 4-5 days at one location be too long? or should we stay at both?

I'm interested in food (mostly), some sightseeing (I like architecture and nature). I'd be more keen on all things Spanish. What and where would you recommend we see and do? Things like amusement parks or aquariums are not on our itinerary.

I've done some research online, but still can't decide.

TIA.

PS. My friends would like to go to Benidorm, but am not so keen - it seems to be full with loud drunken tourists (or is this an unfair impression? :cheeky: ). I live in a hot climate with beaches and never go to the beach. Should I give it a miss altogether? My friends are a lot younger fwiw.

PPS. What jewellery, if any, should I bring? Am thinking my tennis bracelets and coloured stone rings & earrings and pearls. Am most concerned about safety. I know Marbella is perfectly fine, but am not sure about Alicante or Valencia.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Any Spaniards? Anyone familiar w Spain? Alicante vs Vale

I believe Skippy posted at some length about a vacation there some years ago. My niece lived in Spain for two years, but since I did not visit her, I am afraid that I cannot advise you. I just know that everyone says to see Barcelona. Have fun!

Here is Skippy's thread...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/welcome-back-skippy.79990/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/welcome-back-skippy.79990/[/URL]

Deb/AGBF

Wombats

Shiny_Rock

I would suggest visiting the Fodor's Travel Forum for advice.
We recently spent five weeks in France and Spain.
Spain is beautiful but does have a very high rate of unemployment currently. I would probably take a minimalist approach to jewellery. That said, we experienced no issues.
I think five days in Valencia is (way) too much.
If you don't like the beach, have you considered Granada, Seville, Cordoba or Ronda?
Consider high speed train travel.
Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I jut reread your posting. If you love architecture and were thinking of going north to Valencia, why not go all the way to Barcelona? Unless, of course, you have already seen it. I think that everyone who sees the architecture there loves it and considers it unique. If that were not an interest of yours, I would not suggest it. (I am more interested in atmosphere and language, food and comfort.) But if that is a passion of yours, I do not think you want to miss Barcelona.

Deb/AGBF

Wombats

Shiny_Rock

Over 2.5 weeks we drove:

Barcelona 4 days, Valencia 2 days, Granada 4 days, Cordoba 2 days, Madrid 4 days. Plus driving days.

Put the travel times into Via Michelin. The drive times between these cities may be too much for you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1471273717|4066240 said:
I jut reread your posting. If you love architecture and were thinking of going north to Valencia, why not go all the way to Barcelona? Unless, of course, you have already seen it. I think that everyone who sees the architecture there loves it and considers it unique. If that were not an interest of yours, I would not suggest it. (I am more interested in atmosphere and language, food and comfort.) But if that is a passion of yours, I do not think you want to miss Barcelona.

Deb/AGBF

Thank you for your replies and link to Skippy's thread, AGBF. Looks like Skippy had so much fun!

I'm definitely interested in food, language (I speak a little Spanish and look fwd to practicising), atmosphere and comfort. Architecture is an interest, but it's not right at the top, ha ha.

We've decided to do Marbella, Alicante (and drive to Benidorm and Valencia from there) and Madrid.

Barcelona is for sure on my list of places to visit, perhaps next year (I hope!).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wombats|1471256684|4066182 said:
I would suggest visiting the Fodor's Travel Forum for advice.
We recently spent five weeks in France and Spain.
Spain is beautiful but does have a very high rate of unemployment currently. I would probably take a minimalist approach to jewellery. That said, we experienced no issues.
I think five days in Valencia is (way) too much.
If you don't like the beach, have you considered Granada, Seville, Cordoba or Ronda?
Consider high speed train travel.
Enjoy your trip.

Woooooowww!! You're sooo lucky!! :appl:

I'm thinking of wearing my tennis bracelets in Marbella but will put them away in other places (still haven't decided yet) and my coloured stone "stuff". I'm already thinking I'm going to miss my bling! :cheeky:

I think we'll drive to Valencia from Alicante. We'll drive for the whole trip actually. My friends like to drive, and I get motion sickness on trains, lol.

Thanks for suggesting other places. I would def like to visit them in the future. Spain is so vast and so beautiful.

Did you try any of the Michelin-starred restaurants in Madrid? I wonder if it'd be worth it?

Btw, I really love France too; and was planning to visit France (again) as part of my trip this time (I also speak French and adore French food). But all these terrorist attacks are putting me off! :knockout:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

I agree that 4 days in Valencia is more than enough. It was a pretty awesome city and I wouldn't recommend missing it. The only City that needs more than 4 days is Barcelona. So much to see and do there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results