shape
carat
color
clarity

My downgrade!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful ring Vintagelover. The rich gold and the beautiful blue. Looks so perfect on your finger. :love: :love: :love:
Thank you for sharing some of your journey with us. :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, I am glad you have finally found your sapphire!!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful ring :love: I love the rich gold with the bright blue, the color pops! It looks so lovely on your slender fingers. It's good to hear that you are in a happy place with this ring, that means a lot.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1470253353|4062188 said:
It's gorgeous and looks wonderful on your hand! Congrats!
Thank you Yenny! I'll always adore your SS ring-it was the first halo to make me swoon (think it's the oval over the halo-its so sexy!)

lorrissey said:
YAY!!! I was hoping a PSers snatched up that ring. I stalked it for many moons and almost pulled the trigger a dozen times. I'm absolutely in love with that ring. rich gold and sapphires make my heart sing and that sapphire is just amazing!

I'm so glad you didn't-I nearly bought it once too and chicken lol! 3 days in and still in love!

PintoBean said:
No way is this a downgrade! It's such an upgrade in beauty and style!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Thank you! It looks at home on my hand where my antique set never did-think it was the proportions...

Tourmaline said:
I love labradorite, too! I wear it a lot.

Its gorgeous...not like your sapphire necklace which I wish more than anything I had something to sell or swap for it. Want my AVR haha!

pearaffair said:
Thank you for sharing all of those details and pics! I think I may be similar to you - I'm obsessed with bling but I don't think it will fit my lifestyle long term :/

Also my engagement ring is labradorite :)

Just got to find the bling style that fits your lifestyle. I want to see your ring!!

springerspaniel said:
Vinatgelover--it makes MY heart sing that you are so happy with this ring! It never saw the light of day when I had it, in part because I do not have tiny elegant fingers like yours. That electric blue sapphire just got lost on my enormous digits.

I will be twice your age in a couple of weeks and this is as good a birthday present as I could wish for, that this ring could go to someone that would really appreciate it and enjoy it

I love it so! I can't wait to see it paired with the leaf band-thank you for being flexable and not upset with my wishy washy trigger shy purchase. I wanted to get this right and feared I would regret selling such beautiful diamonds but nope! Big bang in a small packages-the blue is something I've never seen before! No regrets!!

LLJsmom said:
Congratulations vintagelover for finding what is you and what works for your life. Wonderful step forward. Your ring is truly beautiful and a reflection of where you are and what you value.

Thank you! Glad I know it now and that hubs got on board selling. He said it came down to a pride thing, and that he had to work with God to get over the 'pride' and even slightly sentimental values of me not having the set we wed with. I get it, I do but when you bang it on everything and while I looked down and enjoyed it I also always though wow this is massive. No more!

maccers said:
You sound so happy! Your ring is wonderful. I think most people would be ecstatic with it.

And your wrap, it's phenomenal! The craftsmanship of such fabrics is hard to comprehend. I'm more of a ring sling and carrier person but I know many moms who love a beautiful cushy dreamy wrap.

Maccers-Thank you! New Tribe new textiles is the weaver of this piece. She collects all the natural materials herself (beetles, flowers, nuts/etc) and then dye the yarn and weaves it up. It's quite something! This is the 4th or 5th handwoven item I own...I also own a handwoven ring sling. I LOVE ring slings. I run the local babywearing chapter in my town so I trade/barter to collect carriers (ergo, ring sling, etc) to lend out to moms/locals in need before they can afford/buy the right one. I also love my wrap conversion mei tais. Babywearing not only saved me as a mother but opened me up to the creative outlet of dying/textile arts which I will be doing for life.

pearaffair said:
+1 vintage lover does have really beautiful slender elegant fingers! Hand model!!

I am fairly certain my nail biting on my index fingers disqualifies me from hand modeling. Unless they put fake ones on me, which I refuse cuz it makes me bite them worse. My index is bent forward since I have less than half a nail-vile I know-working on that bad habit!!

part gypsy said:
As soon as you said sapphire Carol Ackerman ring I knew exactly what ring you were talking about. Such a beautiful rich piece of jewelry, but being a low set bezel it should be very wearable. Thank you for sharing your journey. It is nice to to see the beautiful pieces but yes it looks like you are embracing a simpler more authentic "you".

So low set compared to my AVR-less than HALF the height. It is also less than half the size, so that helps lol. Your welcome-being true to yourself vs buying what you think you should bc of the trend on the boards (and cuz they were good deals-I've made a profit on every piece I've sold almost but the only way I would have sold them is by making a profit-otherwise I would have hoarded them) but just bc something is beautiful and you like it doesn't mean it's for you. It's like a car-you can admire it but just bc a flashy car looks nice, drives fast doesn't mean you should buy it for your commuter car lol!

lovedogs said:
part gypsy|1470274976|4062324 said:
As soon as you said sapphire Carol Ackerman ring I knew exactly what ring you were talking about. Such a beautiful rich piece of jewelry, I also really was drawn to that piece. Being a low set bezel it should be very wearable. Thank you for sharing your journey. It is nice to to see the beautiful pieces but yes it looks like you are embracing a simpler more authentic "you".

haha I felt the same way! I immediately knew the ring and was very happy for you. Seeing pictures it looks lovely on your hand, and I'm sure it's extremely comfortable. Happy for you that you seem to be embracing a simpler lifestyle that works for you :wavey:

Very! I like the weight of the 18k gold too, since you know-they didn't carve every inside inch out to save a buck in weight!

_lovesvintage_ said:
So happy that you got what you wanted. Looks perfect on you. Congrats!

Thank you!

diamondseeker2006 said:
That is SUCH a gorgeous ring, VL, and I think it fits your style perfectly! :love: The sapphire is beautiful in the yellow gold and the setting design is just beautiful! Good for you for going for what you love and best fits your lifestyle!

End of the journey I hope! Thank you!

marcy said:
Beautiful ring. The sapphire is such a terrific color - it absolutely glows.

It amazes me how many shades/colors it can be. Personality changer I have-which is suiting since I'm always all over the place myself lol!

lknvrb4 said:
I love your ring and the choices you have made, good for you!

Thank you!

missy said:
It is a beautiful ring Vintagelover. The rich gold and the beautiful blue. Looks so perfect on your finger. :love: :love: :love:

Thank you missy! You owe the boards MUCH better shots of the antique snowflake pendant than I ever got!
I never even had a SMTB on my AVR-bad bad PSer I am!

I'm sure your all wondering what style of band I'm going for-so here is the inspriation picture-also a toronto designer but I want to make it myself at the den in toronto. Hoping that once I get behind a bench I'll never leave!

il_324.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire e-ring is gorgeous...the blue with the yellow gold just really glows! I applaud you for finding what you really love and
need in your life. Best wishes!

angela06

Shiny_Rock
I love your story and your ring looks perfect on your hand. I also looked at that ring dozens of time on Grace's site, and considered purchasing it myself. It's exquisite.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring! That sapphire is stunning! I have always loved a gorgeous bezel and the yellow gold is just delicious!

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Your experience encourages me to continue with my dreams and plans for the future. I am planning to homeschool our children. DH and I have talked about our dream home (many years down the road) in which we would have a few chickens and a massive vegetable and fruit garden. After my next, tiny, upgrade, I plan to get a bezel set ring as well- keeping my future plans in mind.

All the best with your endeavors!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely spectacular new ring! The color is to die for!

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your upgrade sapphire ring fits your hand perfectly. :love: Thanks for sharing your story too. I loved reading about your journey.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
What a rich color!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
Your new ring is beautiful, and so is your story! I love how you describe having had many lovely diamonds but none of them being quite the right fit with you. I can relate entirely, with multiple e-rings either having left my life or waiting for me to find new owners for them -- each is/was beautiful, but ended up not being right for me. I am currently switching between my plain vintage 22k wedding band and a set consisting of a 1.55 OEC set in platinum and a vintage Tiffany French cut diamond and platinum eternity. The set can feel fancy and fun when we go somewhere, but truly my heart is with the plain band and the simplicity it offers -- it never needs to be taken off and can stay one my hand whether I am cooking, cleaning, or in the dirt. I can go anywhere and never worry about being too showy or at risk. I'll also admit that it just feels more married, somehow. More symbol and signifier than decoration. Sometimes I look in my jewelry box (or the safe deposit box) and wonder who I was when I acquired all of it, and also wonder what I am supposed to do now!

Your lovely sapphire/diamond/yellow gold ring is sublime! I love that you intend to make your own wedding band, too ... it will have a piece of your soul intwined in it.

How fun to be seeking a life on an off-grid homestead! We're considering a small/tiny house on land (but not on wheels) once DH retires (hopefully early!), off-grid if the place we choose allows it, and capable of being off-grid no matter what. If we can't manage that we'll buy the smallest house we can find in a neighborhood we love and then set it up with solar, rain catchment, a grey water system, permaculture gardens, etc. We are nearing the end of our homeschooling journey with our boys, just two years to go and we've been at it since day one. I love your new baby wrap and often miss the time spent wearing my boys close to my heart.

Best wishes in your new life!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is a beautiful blue. Its funny, being a colored stone freak, I could never understand the passion that diamonds elicit in so many. So definitely for me, your ring is an upgrade! ;))

Oh, and it looks big and gorgeous on your hand - definitely a meant to be.

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock
vintagelover229|1470241435|4062089 said:
Couple of pictures from Graces shutterfly

And in case anyone is wondering how on earth something can fetch that much for a piece of cloth I included a picture of the art yardage I drooled over for 4 years. One of a kind, cotton and raw silk and all naturally dyed by the dye artist prior to weaving it up. Happy momma right now with my sapphire bling and my baby wrap. :D

Just wanted to tell you how lovely your New Tribe Textile wrap is! I'm a fellow babywearer. Formally obsessed with Tula Wrap Conversions when they first came out years ago and have a few handwovens too. I've slowly let them go down to the bare minimum of what I use daily so I absolutely understand purging. Your sapphire is gorgeous, too :)

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
oh wow! what a gorgeous band idea. can't wait to see that paired with your sapph ring. :love:

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock
That ring is so so pretty! Love the band idea, it's going to look amazing together

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229|1470320934|4062462 said:
missy said:

Thank you missy! You owe the boards MUCH better shots of the antique snowflake pendant than I ever got!
I never even had a SMTB on my AVR-bad bad PSer I am!

Hahaha I am far behind on photos I owe PS as well. The only photos I took were from when we got home from our bike ride and it was in the mailbox and I took that pic for you right away despite being all sweaty and messy from our ride. :lol: Not the best photo.
One day I will start a thread on all the antique bling I wear.

So happy you got exactly what you wanted from selling what you don't wear and are happily enjoying it. :appl:

oecflowerpendant.jpg

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I totally eyed up that sapphire ring when it was for sale! I am a sucker for a rich blue sapphire in luscious yellow gold.

I don't think it is a downgrade at all - it sounds like for your style and your circumstances, it is an upgrade!

bugbear

Shiny_Rock
The blue sapphire and yellow gold look amazing together!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your new ring is just beautiful, and it looks perfect on your hand. :appl:

And kudos to you on leaving the rat race, I wish you much luck!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunfish|1470414770|4062808 said:
vintagelover229|1470241435|4062089 said:
Couple of pictures from Graces shutterfly

And in case anyone is wondering how on earth something can fetch that much for a piece of cloth I included a picture of the art yardage I drooled over for 4 years. One of a kind, cotton and raw silk and all naturally dyed by the dye artist prior to weaving it up. Happy momma right now with my sapphire bling and my baby wrap. :D

Just wanted to tell you how lovely your New Tribe Textile wrap is! I'm a fellow babywearer. Formally obsessed with Tula Wrap Conversions when they first came out years ago and have a few handwovens too. I've slowly let them go down to the bare minimum of what I use daily so I absolutely understand purging. Your sapphire is gorgeous, too :)

Look at you name dropping! Yay for someone who knows what it is! I LOVE them. I have a couple of conversions, my tri green obimomma is one of my favorites too as well s my woven rainbow classic rainbow. I am probably taking the educator course since I help run the local chapter :) Thank you! I plan a few more kiddos so I can' still justify a stash. Most of them I traded up for since I barter quite well lol!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all SO much. I'm very happy with the change.

However (not that I really care but I do) I have gotten a LOT of flack for changing/selling the 'gift' and 'symbol of our love' from most women so far. Especially older women, but even younger ones. The ones that have noticed mostly had negative comments to say, pretty much saying that I'm ungrateful and giving up a gift from my husband because it's too big is silly. That I shouldn't consider selling/parting with it and that its over all awful. Hubs was there for (2) of the older women chatting about it-and his face seemed to agree with their sentiment. I really thought he was on board and I still do-but I think he's not quite as okay with it as he's either allowed me to believe or himself to believe. I think all in all, he'd rather me KEEP my ring and wear this as a RHR. But I just don't love my AVR set-it's big, it whacks on things-it's not me. I'm so torn. I'd much rather the $ towards debt/the house/not having 8k tied up into a silly rock when I love my sapphire ring more.

I know it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks-and my husband is FULLY supportive of the change but I think deep down he loves my big diamond he put on my finger and the wedding set we got. Even though I picked it out-and doubted it from the get go (mostly bought bc I knew we could flip the diamond for a huge profit-and it IS beautiful-but just not ME. I feel so ungrateful, which is far from the case. What's wrong with knowing ones self better closer to 30 than in my early 20s? When apart of me was like ohhh PS will love this ring (not my motivating factor but was in the back of my mind) and wanting to 'keep up with the boards' and still enjoying diamonds but not really understanding myself or my lifestyle enough to make those type of decisions.

Just sent paypal request for my OEC studs-which I AM having a difficult time parting with. 2 friends wore them in their weddings-as did I-as their something borrowed. But I didn't wear them at all in the past 2 years. Not once. Not even a company christmas party. So, why keep something when someone else will wear them daily and the money can be used else where? Like a taga bike that I WILL get LOTS of use out of. I tell myself there will always be other bling, other good deals. Which is the truth, so really I'm not all that sad about letting them go to new home but still-pretty things are hard to let go of at times lol!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229|1471004393|4065117 said:
Thank you all SO much. I'm very happy with the change.

However (not that I really care but I do) I have gotten a LOT of flack for changing/selling the 'gift' and 'symbol of our love' from most women so far. Especially older women, but even younger ones. The ones that have noticed mostly had negative comments to say, pretty much saying that I'm ungrateful and giving up a gift from my husband because it's too big is silly. That I shouldn't consider selling/parting with it and that its over all awful. Hubs was there for (2) of the older women chatting about it-and his face seemed to agree with their sentiment. I really thought he was on board and I still do-but I think he's not quite as okay with it as he's either allowed me to believe or himself to believe. I think all in all, he'd rather me KEEP my ring and wear this as a RHR. But I just don't love my AVR set-it's big, it whacks on things-it's not me. I'm so torn. I'd much rather the $ towards debt/the house/not having 8k tied up into a silly rock when I love my sapphire ring more.

I know it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks-and my husband is FULLY supportive of the change but I think deep down he loves my big diamond he put on my finger and the wedding set we got. Even though I picked it out-and doubted it from the get go (mostly bought bc I knew we could flip the diamond for a huge profit-and it IS beautiful-but just not ME. I feel so ungrateful, which is far from the case. What's wrong with knowing ones self better closer to 30 than in my early 20s? When apart of me was like ohhh PS will love this ring (not my motivating factor but was in the back of my mind) and wanting to 'keep up with the boards' and still enjoying diamonds but not really understanding myself or my lifestyle enough to make those type of decisions.

Just sent paypal request for my OEC studs-which I AM having a difficult time parting with. 2 friends wore them in their weddings-as did I-as their something borrowed. But I didn't wear them at all in the past 2 years. Not once. Not even a company christmas party. So, why keep something when someone else will wear them daily and the money can be used else where? Like a taga bike that I WILL get LOTS of use out of. I tell myself there will always be other bling, other good deals. Which is the truth, so really I'm not all that sad about letting them go to new home but still-pretty things are hard to let go of at times lol!

Hi VL!
First of all I want to say I love your ring! The blue color with the rich gold is gorgeous!
Second, I am so sorry that you have to go through this and hear so many mean comments. :nono: It is your life and your decisions. Maybe people are simply jealous that you actually dare to not conform to a certain social norm. If I were you I'd try to disregard those comments and simply enjoy your new ring and spend the money where you want to. I really hate when people spread such negativity. Be nice or say nothing at all. Talk to your husband, I'm sure all he wants is to please you re which ring/jewelry to keep. :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that you have had negative comments from the people that don't get it too - perhaps if you think your husband is taking it personally you should consider a smaller diamond in the future in something like a bezel or something that is really kid proof. That way you can use a large chunk of the money from your AVR for practical things and still have two rings you can alternate the sapphire and a smaller diamond ring.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintagelover, I applaud your choice, and living a life with less stuff is a very good thing. It is a possibility that your feelings may change about these sentimental items. You changed your mind about them now, in your thirties, and it is a very real possibility that you may change again later. This has absolutely happened to me, especially with gifts my husband has given me. I regret letting go of them. Not because of the thing, but because of the sentiment attached to them. So I would be cautious about letting go of them. I agree with your point of wanting to put the money into something more practical. But if you someday sell the house you put the money into, or change your lifestyle again, it would be more than sad to have lost pieces that you were given by your husband on your special day.

Please don't take this as a criticism of your choices, it is not. Just a suggestion.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your new sapphire ring is a stunner, the rich beautiful tone and the rich gold setting are amazing. :love: Enjoy your new beauty!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hugs! People love to judge.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The North American culture is typically very tied to keeping stuff. To keep the memories, you have to keep the stuff. But really you can save the memories in photos, and in your heart! I think your life is moving in a very positive and grounded direction. You're knowing yourself.

Now, would you regret if you couldn't show the ring to your kids? Or would you be happy to show a picture and to explain that your lifestyle and priorities have changed? What works for YOU?

It's also possible that others may see your release of luxury/materialism as an indictment of their own obsession with bling or object-keeping. Read "the life changing magic of tidying up" and watch the show "Consumed" on hgtv. They're both good at helping people let go of things.

And I've attached a photo of my moonstone engagement ring (labradorite). We had no money when we got married! So the ring was perfect. But it's a softer stone and I covet diamonds ;-)

8293401572c0beebba184a8ee402d017.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintagelover, I have to keep coming back to look at your beautiful sapphire. The color is just perfect.

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
This looks amazing. Doesnt seem like a downgrade to me.

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
Wow congratulations on your journey! I remember seeing that ring too. Definitely not downgrade. Plus gave me ideas on possible ways to go about my next ring.

I've never quite could understand people when they hear how both my mom and I changed out settings and upgrade centers. I even got one lady while she was cutting my fabric at Joanne's fabrics saying how people using weird colors for nurseries now. It was purple and not pink. Glad I had a friend next to me when that happened so she could hear lol. I loved homeschooling my kids when I did ( it was a grade year in between school for first grade at the time oldest kid, plus middle kid was to sick for preschool). But will throw one thing out, which is what my husband and I are talking about. He is 40 and I am 34. He just lost both parents so we are talking wills and inheritance for kids. It was kind of cool learning the stories about my husbands family travels via their home decor collection. He is 4th generation military so we are making out our will so kids will get some momentos of us and our families. His family long ago did furniture making which is really cool. So not all the time it's jewelry handed down. Your learning very useful tools now that I feel somehow got lost in society but your children will learn from you as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results